• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

S1kkZ

Oct 27, 2017
I think Tim Miller directing is a safer bet than Alan Taylor from Genysis.
i hate genysis, but taylors directing was fine. the movie looked good and was (mostly) well shot. hell, the first 20-ish minutes were really good and entertaining. a good director cant save a shitty script.

JahIthBer

Jan 27, 2018
Gabriel Luna has that friendly smile that the T-1000 had, to really trick you into a false sense of security, i like that detail. Otherwise, i dunno about this movie, how many more times are they gonna retread Terminator 2's plot? even 3 back in 2003 was self aware about it & had fun with it.

Apr 19, 2018
The highway chase sequence is looking pretty good to me. Action and choreography seems to be on point, and Junkie XL appears to be channeling a bit of Brad Fiedel's T-1000 music motif here. I'm still not a fan of the slow-mo; I mentioned before that slow-mo effects have their place, but it shouldn't be in a Terminator movie. Terminator's action should be fast, raw, and visceral.

And hearing the full melodic strains of the Main Theme at 3:11 on the IMAX trailer is glorious. Let's hope the theme isn't just used in the marketing and finds its way in the film proper.

Last edited:

jett

Community Resettler
Oct 25, 2017
Hot take but Terminator Salvation's effects, atmosphere and action sequences were really good. It's a shame we never saw a sequel
It's not a hot take. There is some truly impressive stunt work and practical effects in that movie, rewatched it a few months ago entirely out of morbid curiosity and visually it holds up surprisingly well. Some level of care was put into it. Just not in the stuff that really matters.

El Bombastico

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Gabriel Luna has that friendly smile that the T-1000 had, to really trick you into a false sense of security, i like that detail. Otherwise, i dunno about this movie, how many more times are they gonna retread Terminator 2's plot? even 3 back in 2003 was self aware about it & had fun with it.

I still can't believe 3, soon to be 4 crap sequels later and T3 is the best of them. The one that had THIS fucking scene that actually made me lol in the theater.

-JD-

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
i hate genysis, but taylors directing was fine. the movie looked good and was (mostly) well shot. hell, the first 20-ish minutes were really good and entertaining. a good director cant save a shitty script.

True enough. Dark Fate looks like it has a half-dozen writers on it, including James Cameron, but also David Goyer....

Hero_of_the_Day

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
Yeah, this continues to look mediocre. I had really hoped this would be the moment that would turn it around for the series. But, that is just clearly not happening. Maybe the 100% reboot in another 5 years will do it. 'Cause it honestly doesn't seem like it should be that fucking hard to make a good Terminator movie, despite hollywood seeming deadset on convincing us all otherwise.

Deleted member 21709

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Its times like this I really wished Cameron had used the alternate future ending for T2...

1. I never saw this, thank you for sharing.

2. It's a great alternate ending, but maybe a bit too 'Outer Limits'-y in presentation and how corny it is. (But I love it)

3. Will any movie soundtrack ever beat Brad Fiedel's masterpiece? Damn, still so good and effective.

skeezx

Oct 27, 2017
well fwiw that's probably the best action sequence since T3's crane scene

looks quite okay really, just not sold on the new prodigal mother angle. but if they're angling this as a three movie arc obvs you can only tug along the Connor Saga so far

-shadow-

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Oh man, the CG is rough to say the least and the new Terminator just does nothing for me. I love the fact it can split into multiple, but it just looks... Not intimidating at all. Also really do not like the new (I guess hybrid) protector. I can't quite put my finger on what it is. But the more I see of her, the less she does for me.
Also, please tell me that the editing in that chase scene is just part of the trailer part of the video and not that it's the actual editing that'll be in the film, because that was some garbage editing.

Its times like this I really wished Cameron had used the alternate future ending for T2...

They absolutely would've found a way to weasel their way into a third one never the less.
I think Tim Miller directing is a safer bet than Alan Taylor from Genysis.
I seriously can't agree, the director of Genysis was fine, good even. The problem of that film is entirely down to the script and the base of that. There's absolutely a good film in Genysis, it just needed a couple of rewrites (and different casting) to bring the (imo genuinely good) idea forward.

Masterz1337

Oct 25, 2017
I'm looking forward to this, but I enjoyed every terminator other than Salvation. I'm just excited to see Arnold and Sarah back, catching up with them since the events of T2 and the new future they created.

New bad Terminator seems interesting too, I don't think the effects are anywhere near as bad as people are saying. Also it escaping that helicopter crash which is almost identical to teh one in T2 is awesome. Seems like it's self aware too.

Caleb187

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Colorado
This franchise is like that Simpsons gif where the kid says stop he's already dead, but he's also the T-1000 and he never dies.

Oct 25, 2017
I'm into the new terminator model and from what I can see of Gabriel, he's nailing that part. He'll probably be the highlight of the movie.
Everything else is a little more questionable, particularly the CGI, but Arnold is looking good.
My bar is honestly relatively low. I just want it to be better than T3-T5. As long as it does that, I'll be content enough.
My feelings toward the new footage are generally positive. I just wish this 2019 movie's effects didn't look worse than the 1991 movie it is a sequel to.

Some shots of interest to me:
aro8rIV.png

V1bQCQd.png

1J5kiE6.png

Last edited:
Oct 27, 2017
is this terminator supposed to be intimidating?

That's my main problem with every Terminator villain after Robert Patrick. Arnie was of course perfect for the role in the first film and then Patrick was probably even better casting because he conveys a really creepy look in T2 as well as mimicking human emotions like friendliness. But all the other villains since then haven't been threatening or unsettling and have just been really unmemorable. This guy doesn't look to me like he'll break that trend.

jelly

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
The full scene looks quite rough, there is some good practical stuff but it's mixed in with such obvious CGI it looks pretty bad and man they could save so much time and money for other things instead of showing slow CGI heavy healing morphing scenes that add practically nothing of worth.

MisterHero

Oct 25, 2017
I'm gonna watch this for Sarah Connor but I would've been 100x more interested if they wrote around Furlong's burnout. Maybe Judgement Day never happens and he just wastes away until it happens randomly.

eh

Oct 27, 2017
Yes, it says people don't remember what the CG in T2 looked like. It was amazing for it's time but it doesn't come close to standing up to today's standards.

giphy.gif
I think the fact that the CG at the time blended so well with the practical effects makes the film hold up extremely well compared to most modern action films. Everything is green screened to death now.

Stiler

Avenger
Oct 29, 2017
Why are the special effects of a nearly 30 year old movie looking cleaner than the effects here

Because they used mostly practical effects for both T1/T2, only resorting to CGI when it couldn't be done with practical effects. I mean it was Stan Winston behind them (who did the effects for Aliens, Predator, and Jurassic Park).

This movie they seem to be doing almost all the effects with CGI, even ones that could easily be done with practical effects work, so it has a 'fake" look to it all.

jett

Community Resettler
Oct 25, 2017
Also, please tell me that the editing in that chase scene is just part of the trailer part of the video and not that it's the actual editing that'll be in the film, because that was some garbage editing.
The funny thing is that they added an insert during the Rev9's "transformation" to distract you from the crappy CG effects.

YV1xZJV.gif

0KC8DEO.gif

That looks like garbage. I mean, literal garbage, like waste and trash from a dumpster truck coming together. I really do not understand the idea behind the visual/concept artists that designed this.

It's hard to believe how banal the visuals are. I mean, the movie looks like generic digital trash.
Banal is an interesting and appropriate word to use to describe how this movie looks. It's like there's no identity or passion in it. It looks so bland, in stills or in motion.

Kronotech

Oct 28, 2017
I'll see it. Looks entertaining. I've generally enjoyed the last few Terminator movies as far as action goes but the story's continue to get worse. They're all variations of "what happened last time didn't change the future but this time it's different".

Oct 25, 2017
Looks terrible. Just let this franchise die already.

Sarah Connor as a badass woman was at her best when she at leat behaved like a human. She was strong, but also scared and traumatized.

This is just Sarah Connor acting like a Terminator.

carlosrox

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Vancouver BC
Doesn't look spectacular but also not nearly as bad as ya'll are making it out to be.

At least it looks like it takes itself seriously unlike Genisys which felt more like a fucking parody.

El Bombastico

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Doesn't look spectacular but also not nearly as bad as ya'll are making it out to be.

At least it looks like it takes itself seriously unlike Genisys which felt more like a fucking parody.

Gensysis being a parody meant I could at least laugh at its stupidity.

This is taking itself so seriously I can't do anything but roll my eyes.

Chopchop

Oct 25, 2017
IMO trying WAY too hard to ride the coattails of T1 and T2 is a big problem that every sequel in the series has suffered. A nod or two is fine, but it feels like every Terminator sequel after T2 is just so desperate about it, you know? It keeps waving old shit in your face and going "see? Here's this thing from the movies you liked. That means you'll like me too, right?????"

This one seems no different. Bleh.

That's my main problem with every Terminator villain after Robert Patrick. Arnie was of course perfect for the role in the first film and then Patrick was probably even better casting because he conveys a really creepy look in T2 as well as mimicking human emotions like friendliness. But all the other villains since then haven't been threatening or unsettling and have just been really unmemorable. This guy doesn't look to me like he'll break that trend.
I agree. Every movie after T2 really gives renewed respect for Patrick's performance. His acting gave this cold, inhuman vibe to the T1000 that none of the sequel villains had.

Everyone who played a terminator after that might as well have been playing any cold-blooded killer or henchman, and the writing doesn't do it any favors. A Terminator would have no fucking interest in asking the good guys why they keep getting in his way. Seeing that line in the trailer was weird.

Jersey_Tom

Banned
Dec 2, 2017
I'm into the new terminator model and from what I can see of Gabriel, he's nailing that part. He'll probably be the highlight of the movie.
Everything else is a little more questionable, particularly the CGI, but Arnold is looking good.
My bar is honestly relatively low. I just want it to be better than T3-T5. As long as it does that, I'll be content enough.
My feelings toward the new footage are generally positive. I just wish this 2019 movie's effects didn't look worse than the 1991 movie it is a sequel to.

Some shots of interest to me:
aro8rIV.png

V1bQCQd.png

1J5kiE6.png

Stan Winston and his practical models are sorely missed.

And I mean, the little bit we see of the Future War in the new Mortal Kombat fatality looks infinitely better than a lot of what has come before.

Mar 26, 2018
Looks like a Terminator superhero movie. Not interested in Avengers etc or this.

The villain seems completely forgettable as does the whole crew minus Linda. Par for the post T2 course

VaporSnake

Oct 28, 2017

It's interesting as a novelty, as an actual ending it suuuuucks though, it's very tonally out of wack from the entire rest of the film, it feels like it's from a different movie. Cameron made the right decision in axing it, the ambiguity of the theatrical ending is way better than this sappy fairytale esque ending.

"I began to think that the message of the film might be better served by not letting the audience off the hook so easily. We decided not to tie it up with a bow, but to suggest that the struggle is ongoing, and in fact might even be an unending one for us flawed creatures trying to come in terms with technology and our own violent demons. So my final writing on T2 came less than a month before release, with the voice over narration which ends the film i don't think [the audience] needed to know for sure that things were going to be different, as much as they needed to just have that hope that things will be different, so ending it with a highway at night, you know, the future is a dark highway at night, you don't know what's down there, but it ends with hope - James Cameron

El Bombastico

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
It's interesting as a novelty, as an actual ending it suuuuucks though, it's very tonally out of wack from the entire rest of the film, it feels like it's from a different movie. Cameron made the right decision in axing it, the ambiguity of the theatrical ending is way better than this sappy fairytale esque ending.

All true. But at the very least, it would've stopped all the shit sequels from being made.