• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Jroc

Banned
Jun 9, 2018
If this ends up being as good as Alita Battle Angel then I'll be happy. Having James Cameron (somewhat) involved can elevate things even when the director/crew aren't quite top level. I haven't watched a single trailer for this movie so I'm excited to go in relatively blind.

aerie

wonky
Administrator
Oct 25, 2017
Looks like it's worthwhile. I did think this one actually looked a bit promising.

Oct 27, 2017
Too early to tell how this is going to turn out.

Has there really been any good films, tv shows, games, etc.. that have been able to craft stories around characters past their prime in ways that don't diminish their legacy, or unintentionally reduce them into comedic satire like Indiana Jones 4? I can only think of The Force Awakens, Gears of War 4, and perhaps Toy Story 3 or 4.

Do they have a plausible reason why the Terminator has aged like a human in this film?
Rocky Balboa was very good.

And Creed, while not entirely crafted around Rocky himself, is amazing.

Oct 25, 2017
For me, a terminator that doing flips and shit doesn't feel scary. It just gets into the goofy territory.
T800 and 1000 felt menacing.

DIE BART DIE

Oct 25, 2017
There's no point trying to top T2, it's not going to happen. The Terminator arguably only had room for one direct sequel, and T2 pretty much did everything you could do within that remit. And as much as I love T2, there's the argument that even that film doesn't make sense after the closed loop plot of The Terminator.

There's also the issue that most standalone genre films face; that any given property probably only has room for one direct sequel. Any more sequels after that point, and the fictional universe of the property starts to stretch credulity. Why are the same people involved in once in a lifetime events 3, 4, 5 times? In Aliens, I can buy that Ripley is sought out and begrudgingly roped back into something because of her firsthand experiences in Alien. Same with Sarah Connor in T2. When you're getting to the point in both "franchises" where each respective character is brought back to be a badass heroine for the sake of it, I don't believe the fiction.

Which is why I believe the best course of action for this IP is...well, to leave it alone, actually. But if a new film must be made, it needs to be a fresh reboot with the basic concept of The Terminator, leaving Arnie, Sarah, John Connor - all of them - at the door.

Last edited:

jelly

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
It sounds fine and think it will okay apart from some nostalgia cringe and Deadpool action scenes. The mistake was always going bigger and daylight.

retroman

Oct 31, 2017
Has there really been any good films, tv shows, games, etc.. that have been able to craft stories around characters past their prime in ways that don't diminish their legacy, or unintentionally reduce them into comedic satire like Indiana Jones 4?
Dark Crystal: Age of Resistance is a prequel series that was made almost 40 years after the film, but it's incredibly faithful to the original movie. Simply amazing puppetry.

EDIT: Oh wait I think I've misunderstood the question

Deleted member 50454

User requested account closure
Banned
Dec 5, 2018

Has there really been any good films, tv shows, games, etc.. that have been able to craft stories around characters past their prime in ways that don't diminish their legacy, or unintentionally reduce them into comedic satire like Indiana Jones 4? I can only think of The Force Awakens, Gears of War 4, and perhaps Toy Story 3 or 4.

Do they have a plausible reason why the Terminator has aged like a human in this film?

Twin Peaks: The Return.

VaporSnake

Oct 28, 2017
Phew I was worried because of the lack of hype (it comes out in like a week!) but these reviews make it sound like it's at the very least, better than the other sequels.

Oct 25, 2017
Hull, England
Will wait on more reviews as being better than T3 / Salvation / Genisys doesn't mean much considering the quality of them. The first Terminator film has still not been surpassed, T2 is good but feels less serious and just doesn't match the tone of the first.

Nightfall

Oct 27, 2017
Germany

Blade Runner 2049

One of the best sequels of all time.

Tremorah

Dec 3, 2018
Sounds like Terminator 2 may have been dethroned.
giphy.gif

NTGYK

Attempted to circumvent ban with an alt-account
Banned
Oct 29, 2017
Lol what are these random ass outlets.

JaseC64

Enlightened
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Strong Island NY
Hmm interesting.

It still pissed me off in T2 they made the T800 odd. They shouldnt have made him be "emotional". There is a scene at the end of T2 where the T800 states he needs a vacation after fighting the T1000. Completely ruins the whole vive of the end for me.

Burt

Fight Sephiroth or end video games
Oct 28, 2017
Hmm interesting.

It still pissed me off in T2 they made the T800 odd. They shouldnt have made him be "emotional". There is a scene at the end of T2 where the T800 states he needs a vacation after fighting the T1000. Completely ruins the whole vive of the end for me.
I think that vacation line in particular was ad libbed by Arnold, but it wouldn't have stayed if it didn't fit. It's really not much different from 'Hasta la vista, baby". If you watch for it, the T-800 in T2 has a very clear growth curve to psychological 'humanity'. Like, practically neon flashing markers set along a linear path.

Of course, in Genisys, Arnold's still trying to learn how smile after 30 years, so, that shows how much they got it, I guess.

JaseC64

Enlightened
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Strong Island NY
I think that vacation line in particular was ad libbed by Arnold, but it wouldn't have stayed if it didn't fit. It's really not much different from 'Hasta la vista, baby". If you watch for it, the T-800 in T2 has a very clear growth curve to psychological 'humanity'. Like, practically neon flashing markers set along a linear path.

Of course, in Genisys, Arnold's still trying to learn how smile after 30 years, so, that shows how much they got it, I guess.
Right you are right. Maybe Arnie shouldnt have said that line though. The "hasta la vista" line was taught by John and he I supposed felt it was appropriate then. But the "I need a vacation" doesn't make sense for a t800 even "joking". That's his purpose. A fighting machine.

Deleted member 8257

Oct 26, 2017
I think the movie is going to end up with 58% RT.

Some really good ideas but half baked execution.

But I'm hoping to be pleasantly surprised with mid 70% rating because I absolutely adore the series and want a nice send off.

poptire

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Never really heard of any of those outlets so I'll wait until non-enthusiasts start dropping reviews.

Kaversmed

Oct 27, 2017
Denmark
I am really cautious with this one. Fool me once, fool me twice and all that. I just don't want to pay for yet another cinematic punch to my face. Movie looks and feels weirdly awkward judging from the trailers but it might seem there's more to it after all. Let's hope, I love me some Schwarzenegger.

OP
OP
CaptainKashup

CaptainKashup

Banned
May 10, 2018
Two new reviews from two small French outlets.

Zickma 6.9/10
Despite the shortcomings of writing and Gabriel Luna, it remains a superior entertainment to the last two films with the pleasure of seeing Linda Hamilton again and good promises for a new trilogy (if successful) thanks to Natalia Reyes who plays pretty well.

UnificationFrance 5/5
With a tribute-remake-sequel scenario made of the first two parts, actors in great shape, an effective direction and special effects, the pleasure of Terminator is really intact and the film is certainly one of my very great favorites of the year.

Beautiful and exciting.

OP
OP
CaptainKashup

CaptainKashup

Banned
May 10, 2018
Another one.

LeBlogDuCinema
Without touching the excellence of the beginnings, Dark Fate reinvigorates a saga that had lost itself, like a gift offered to the nostalgic spectators of the first two films, not pretending to be taken for something other than what it is : a generous and highly entertaining action movie..

SnatcherHunter

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
I never doubted it.
I had a feeling WB just sucks with marketing trailers. We seen this before from them. There was no way this movie was worst than Genysis.