• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

lupinko

Oct 26, 2017
Personally I felt the movie worked for me on many levels.

- Cameron, Hamilton and Schwarzenegger were involved
- Tim Miller did a decent job as director
- the movie showed that T2 did indeed change the future and victory was had against Skynet (but you know this thing called causality)
- Because Skynet was defeated completely, there's nothing special about John Connor or even Sarah Connor, they're just regular people albeit Sarah is a BMF
- opens the door for new characters and sequels and new ideas without being tied to the series' past, like you know, Star Wars' sequels
- Legion coming up to replace Skynet makes sense, because making AI like that is certainly not uncommon, especially nowadays, and AI sentience is something many people in tech do fear, like Elon Musk.
- Legion coming up with killer robots called terminators isn't lazy, what else would they call it? (Not to forget movie branding purposes) also they're still infiltration units so they need to have a human-like build anyway.
- Linda Hamilton really helped the movie shine, she's really integral to the series and many people forget that for whatever reason. She also has top billing too.
- the crappy sequels hurt this movie a lot but without the crappy sequels we probably wouldn't have seen this movie to begin with

Deleted member 7051

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017

- the movie showed that T2 did indeed change the future and victory was had against Skynet (but you know this thing called causality)
- Because Skynet was defeated completely, there's nothing special about John Connor or even Sarah Connor, they're just regular people albeit Sarah is a BMF
- opens the door for new characters and sequels and new ideas without being tied to the series' past, like you know, Star Wars' sequels
- Legion coming up to replace Skynet makes sense, because making AI like that is certainly not uncommon, especially nowadays, and AI sentience is something many people in tech do fear, like Elon Musk.
- Legion coming up with killer robots called terminators isn't lazy, what else would they call it? (Not to forget movie branding purposes) also they're still infiltration units so they need to have a human-like build anyway.
- Linda Hamilton really helped the movie shine, she's really integral to the series and many people forget that for whatever reason. She also has top billing too.
- the crappy sequels hurt this movie a lot but without the crappy sequels we probably wouldn't have seen this movie to begin with

They weren't actually called Terminators. Grace didn't even know what they were. She just called them Rev-9s until later on, when I guess Terminator was catchier.

Deleted member 7051

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Ah, good one, you're right about that. Also isn't the T in T-800/whatever Terminator? Cyberdyne/Skynet called them as such?

I don't think the Terminator in the first two movies ever called itself a T-800, only a "Cyberdyne Systems Model 101". I figured Terminator was a nickname given to the machines by humans.

Lo-Volt

Oct 27, 2017
New Yawk City!
I walked in expecting not to like it but I really did! If anything, there wasn't enough of it. By that I mean...

Considering how we know Sarah Connor can have vivid dreams from her T2 nuke nightmares, I feel like we lost an opportunity to see John's death in such a manner. The opening scene almost had that pacing anyway, and it might have had a more emotional effect as a dream that eventually answers the question for the knowing audience. As it stands, that didn't work well for me.

I also regret that we didn't see too much more of a discussion on AI in the present: we actively fear or misunderstand it today, but there wasn't much conversation or "data dump" or joking about Siri in it. I wonder if that would have made Dark Fate a better statement on the fears of the audience than it is. T2 had the advantage in that John seemed to understand the concepts more and was active in his rescue because of it. Dani is an earnest protagonist but she doesn't strike me as someone as well-versed. Instead, she's trying to fill some really big shoes and I actually enjoyed that.

Grace being unable to explain Legion's origins with narrative flair makes sense: she was young when Judgment Day occurred. But I was really interested nevertheless - what is the difference between Legion and Skynet? Does Legion already function in the present? Next time please send an athletic research guy or intelligence dude to help.

The action scenes were spectacular. I said damn. Mackenzie Davis wielding that chain like a Kill Bill homage was quite the engrossing shot.

"They're not prisoners, they're detainees" followed by the nicest bitch slap in the film warmed my leftist heart. The cage scenes ("I'm not in danger, I'm in processing") were surprisingly good commentary on the absurdity of our border policy.

DarthMasta

Feb 17, 2018
They're called Terminators because it's a time paradox, same as Terminator 1, Dani is the hero because she was attacked by a robot from the future, and learned from Sarah Connor, Grace and Carl. It's still Judgement Day, they're still Terminators, No future but what we make, because she lived with Sarah Connor and absorbed all that.

Like in T1, sending a robot to kill the future leader makes the future leader. Probably the smartest bit of writing in the movie, was cooler in the 80's though...

BojTrek

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Chicago
I honestly loved this movie... the action was tense and I loved the outdoor filming, it looked real, the CGI cars, people and REV-9 were really weak in a number of areas.

It was really a great T3 for me...

I wish there was a conversation between Sarah and John... maybe he was getting a little buzzed and said 'it's nice to finally relax a bit'. Sarah says angrily 'John! We can never relax. She laughs 'now go get us a beer'. They both smile as he walks to the bar.

It shows us that she is still rough on him but does show signs of loosening up.

Sanjuro

Oct 25, 2017
Massachusetts
Just saw it this morning. I thought it was really fun. Arnold stealing the spotlight as usually with a few great lines.

I go T1, T2, then this film and Genisys.

Noodle

Banned
Aug 22, 2018
I found it barely better than Genisys. Hit a lot of the some plot beats as well - daylight car chase, captured by the authorities, aerial chase, last stand at industrial place. Benefited from not being encumbered with nano-Connor and having Grace's actress instead of Emilia Clarke.

I simply don't buy the T-101's character change after completing its mission.

Also, the cinema-going experience needs to die. Hell is other people.

Charsace

Chicken Chaser
Nov 22, 2017
I found it barely better than Genisys. Hit a lot of the some plot beats as well - daylight car chase, captured by the authorities, aerial chase, last stand at industrial place. Benefited from not being encumbered with nano-Connor and having Grace's actress instead of Emilia Clarke.

I simply don't buy the T-101's character change after completing its mission.

Also, the cinema-going experience needs to die. Hell is other people.
T-101 isn't just a machine it is a real dynamic AI. It is sent back with a different mission than the mission the T-101s are usually assigned. It was sent back with the mission to assassinate John, not to eradicate humanity. Once that was done it had no other mission and was free to do whatever it wanted. And so it did what any intelligent creature would; it observed, learned, and found purpose.

Raide

Banned
Oct 31, 2017
Just came back from watching this. Is was certainly better than all the Terminator films after 2 but its still not right. Just too much trying to make quips, and cheer things up. I just wish they would just go dark like T2 was. They managed to have a really solid Terminator that stalked them the entire film, really cool looking and super efficient but go damn Skynet/Legion is rubbish at doing its job. It really needs to give up the whole 'send stuck back in time to kill stuff.' Its clearly not working out haha.

Did not see them killing off John so early and then utterly invalidate it by just making the girl the new John. Way to make a death that the Terminator franchise has been pushing for years, feel utterly pointless and shallow.

Charsace

Chicken Chaser
Nov 22, 2017
Just came back from watching this. Is was certainly better than all the Terminator films after 2 but its still not right. Just too much trying to make quips, and cheer things up. I just wish they would just go dark like T2 was. They managed to have a really solid Terminator that stalked them the entire film, really cool looking and super efficient but go damn Skynet/Legion is rubbish at doing its job. It really needs to give up the whole 'send stuck back in time to kill stuff.' Its clearly not working out haha.

Did not see them killing off John so early and then utterly invalidate it by just making the girl the new John. Way to make a death that the Terminator franchise has been pushing for years, feel utterly pointless and shallow.
Movie respects the antagonist. He doesn't actually get within range to kill her until he is badly damaged and weakened. Someone is always interrupting him so it's not like he's just inept. This is a problem that other movies in the franchise after Cameron have had.

UltraMagnus

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I hate to say it too, because I love Arnold, but an older Arnold just isn't the same type of screen presence as the 80s/90s version and I think the Terminator movies don't really work anywhere near as well without that.

Father time is undefeated.

He's still funny/charming, but largely Arnold as the Terminator these days is a punch line.

Sulik2

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I honestly loved this movie. Might like it more then the first Terminator. It felt like a logical follow up to T2 dealing with how technology has progressed in the last 25 years. The action was honestly fantastic especially the cargo plane sequence. And had some excellent commentary on ICE. Great movie. Shame it's bombing.

haxan

Oct 25, 2017
Another bad Terminator sequel. Aside from 2-3 lines a piece from Arnold and Linda, everything good about this is in the trailers.

That said, it's still the third best Terminator movie. Fuck James Cameron for making the greatest action movie when I was like 10 years old and handcuffing me to this shitty, shitty franchise. Have I not suffered enough?

lemmykoopah

Banned
Oct 29, 2017
Another bad Terminator sequel. Aside from 2-3 lines a piece from Arnold and Linda, everything good about this is in the trailers.

That said, it's still the third best Terminator movie. Fuck James Cameron for making the greatest action movie when I was like 10 years old and handcuffing me to this shitty, shitty franchise. Have I not suffered enough?
The worst part is he keeps endorcing these movies. And of course we believe him because we're just dying to see a new good Terminator film since 1992, alas... :(

RyougaSaotome

Oct 25, 2017
Caught it again with the old man today and ended up liking it more (pops actually teared up lmao) than I did the first time, free from expectations.

Really happy with what we got. T_T

rsfour

Oct 26, 2017
Enjoyed it a fair bit, those opening minutes, whew. Still waiting for that future war movie. Best of the terminator films after the first two.

The Bookerman

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I hate to say it too, because I love Arnold, but an older Arnold just isn't the same type of screen presence as the 80s/90s version and I think the Terminator movies don't really work anywhere near as well without that.

Father time is undefeated.

He's still funny/charming, but largely Arnold as the Terminator these days is a punch line.

He's old, not obsolete.

Charsace

Chicken Chaser
Nov 22, 2017
He's still very personable, but for the role of the Terminator, I don't think it really works anymore. The Terminator needs to be larger than life.
I don't think they will do a terminator that draws attention because of how it looks because it never made any sense. It always defeated the purpose of infiltration.

UltraMagnus

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I don't think they will do a terminator that draws attention because of how it looks because it never made any sense. It always defeated the purpose of infiltration.

I mean that may have been the original intention when writing the script, but it's fairly obvious that went out the window when Arnold was cast, as there's no normal human being that looks like Arnold.

T1/T2 were in large part appealling to see Arnold be a bad ass, unstoppable killing machine, that's a product of the time (80s/90s). It's just something I don't think works anymore and not with Arnold at 70+.

Oct 28, 2017
When the trailer showed Mackenzie Davis's character being augmented and more machine-like I thought for sure this movie was going to do something thought-provoking with that concept - that the humans need to become more like the machines to defeat them, furthering blurring the lines between them but alas she was just a superhero basically

Slaythe

The Wise Ones
Oct 25, 2017
The worst part is he keeps endorcing these movies. And of course we believe him because we're just dying to see a new good Terminator film since 1992, alas... :(

He wrote this garbage. He doesn't get to throw Tim Miller under the bus.

I can't wait for Avatar to come out so he can stop acting like this honestly.

fundogmo

Oct 25, 2017

I agree with every single one of these. I saw the movie in 4DX and would be lying if I said I didn't shed a few tears by the end over how overwhelming it was.

It helped to go into the film praying to your deity for it to not be as awful as every film post-T2. The plot wasn't really anything special, but as a nice coda to one of my absolute favorite films of my childhood, it delivered. The heart and soul of the series belongs to Linda Hamilton and Arnold Shwartzenegger, and this felt like seeing a long lost relative for a final time, and having the closure to truly say goodbye.

Might have been a relatively shallow film compared to the heady concepts of T1/T2, but I was totally onboard for the ride. Helped that Mackenzie Davis was beefed out and the themes of boss-ass women and border politics hit a sensitive spot for me. Having Dani say her final vengeance line in spanish and adding a guitar to the Terminator theme during the credits was a perfect touch.

CaptainKashup

Banned
May 10, 2018
When the trailer showed Mackenzie Davis's character being augmented and more machine-like I thought for sure this movie was going to do something thought-provoking with that concept - that the humans need to become more like the machines to defeat them, furthering blurring the lines between them but alas she was just a superhero basically

A super-hero that need its fix to be barely able to survive more then a few days ?

OP
OP
VorpalNonsense
Oct 25, 2017
I agree with every single one of these. I saw the movie in 4DX and would be lying if I said I didn't shed a few tears by the end over how overwhelming it was.

It helped to go into the film praying to your deity for it to not be as awful as every film post-T2. The plot wasn't really anything special, but as a nice coda to one of my absolute favorite films of my childhood, it delivered. The heart and soul of the series belongs to Linda Hamilton and Arnold Shwartzenegger, and this felt like seeing a long lost relative for a final time, and having the closure to truly say goodbye.

Might have been a relatively shallow film compared to the heady concepts of T1/T2, but I was totally onboard for the ride. Helped that Mackenzie Davis was beefed out and the themes of boss-ass women and border politics hit a sensitive spot for me. Having Dani say her final vengeance line in spanish and adding a guitar to the Terminator theme during the credits was a perfect touch.

This first time I saw the movie it was at the early preview at Alamo Drafthouse, but I went to see it a second time in 4DX. Hadn't seen anything 4DX before and this seemed like a good one to give it a try and see what that's about.

I'm sorta glad I didn't see it in 4DX the first time because all the extra jazz is kinda distracting, however it certainly made the movie more intense and I was glad I did it for my second watch. It was a lot of fun. I got really into certain scenes thanks to getting rocked around with them. When Grace gets stabbed and I feel shit jutting into my back it's wild. And watching a truck chase while feeling like you're in the truck...woah.

A standout moment was when the Rev-9 popped out of the wreckage at the end and the seat fuckin jerked. I had already seen the movie, I already knew it was coming, and I still fuckin jumped. Startled me good.

And it was really crazy that whenever the Rev-9 was getting all liquid metally, they started pumping out a smell like nail polish remover. I had never considered a Terminator's smell before, so associating that black shit with that vile chemical scent was a pretty neat choice. Unsettling.

Jarmel

The Jackrabbit Always Wins
Oct 25, 2017
New York
Yea I hated this. I hated the intro, I hated the choppy ass action, I hated the fact that they showed virtually no restraint in any of the action sequences, and I hated how stupidly sappy it was in certain areas. Miller should have shut his mouth about the thumbs up scene in T2 as "For John" is infinitely worse.

Thank god this franchise is terminated.

UltraMagnus

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I liked the film when it was in Mexico at the beginning and the border stuff was cool too, but it kinda fell apart after that.

Really Arnold's character doesn't really even need to be in the movie, neither really does Linda Hamilton.

Deleted member 42055

Banned
Apr 12, 2018
Yea I hated this. I hated the intro, I hated the choppy ass action, I hated the fact that they showed virtually no restraint in any of the action sequences, and I hated how stupidly sappy it was in certain areas. Miller should have shut his mouth about the thumbs up scene in T2 as "For John" is infinitely worse.

Thank god this franchise is terminated.

Amen. Someone in here Liked it as much as T1? Lmao bomba taste for a bomba film

Scullibundo

Oct 25, 2017
That Terminator is out there! It won't stop! It doesn't feel pain, remorse or —

Dark Fate: "Let me stop you right there, Reese."

Starshine

Oct 25, 2017
I hope they say fuck it and green light a low budget (50 million) gritty horror-esque follow up film and then if that does well return to a 80-150 million dollar finale to close out the Quintology proper.

Pipe dream but fuck it.

True Prophecy

Oct 28, 2017
Well given that the general sentiment in this thread is dislike and the movie bombing I guess my opinion won't matter much but here we go.

Overall I enjoyed the movie! Probably like a B+ for me, Its not as good as T1 or T2 but it was way way better than Genisys. I have not seen T3 or Salvation for a long time but I feel this was better... I watched T2 before this one and it flowed into it quite well I thought even if this was more purely an action movie than an action horror. I do recall feeling that both T3 and Salvation didn't really feel all that connected to T1 or 2 but again I have to re-watch them.

The whole opening I didn't expect nor did I expect them to kill John but after the initial surprise and how they explained that the future was actually changed so that Johns war never happened it made sense for them to go that path, it also gave a reason for a continued bad-ass Sarah.

I enjoyed the action, the characters were mostly good with Grace and Sarah for me standing out the most. This T800 was fun but I can see why some people felt it didn't make sense or felt off, I guess I liked the idea that a learning computer with no further orders could indeed become more "human" being around us maybe it needed more time on it.

CG was mostly good considering the budget, cinematography felt more in line with T2 than I expected even if it's still too "clean" if that makes sense, music didn't really stand out other than when the terminator theme kicked in but it was serviceable.

Some of the ideas should have been more fleshed out, the idea of Skynet being defeated and another AI replacing it is an interesting one but we never learn anything about it so it felt like it was underserved. There is a lot of stuff happening in the AI field in our current world compared to 1992 and I thought they might have dived a bit more than they did but I wonder if Genisys had them hold off. Also if you're going to show that humanity is a fighting force from a bunch of scavengers you need to connect it a bit better as it was like fully organized military compared to when grace was a teen (even though I did like seeing some of the new future war).

Its a shame a lot of what I read is people hating it because it replaced john with a woman and that there were too many female characters and it somehow made T1 and T2 worse (I mean what? Genisys was the movie that literally said those 2 didn't exist at all).

Some in the terminator subreddit felt it was all too much with the savior being Mexican and all the border stuff being to "SJW" apparently so I'm not sure I'm going to go out of my way to watch or read criticism of the movie even though there is discussion to be had for sure, I just don't want that to the be the focus of it.

Maybe they should have made a movie purely set in the future Skynet war as a "prequel" to T1 and T2? I know it's not really what these movies are about thematically but its something I know some have wanted for a long time.

Jojo Sonoshe

Alt Account
Banned
Aug 19, 2019
The movie was at best ok. I did'nt hate it, but honestly did'nt do much to validate it's existence.

Killing John is just, it's just lame. It makes Terminator 2 feel very empty. You have this character that goes through an extreme journey, only to kill them off rather cheaply. Really just to make room for your new character. That's just hacky writing done for shock value. You could have either avoided that, but just writing him out of the story. Which would feel lame, but not as cheap. Or actually do something with the character. Explore what a life like his would be. There's this really poorly thought out arc for Sarah about her needing purpose. Why not explore the life of a Jesus figure who did'nt get to be Jesus. Maybe have him really train Danni.

Oh and that opening scene...yeah the CGI was meh. Looked really soft.

Speaking of Danni. Yeah she sucked. Her actress was so bad and at not point believable as a leader. Also her character really had nothing going on. With Sarah, we follow a pretty much nobody learning to deal with some great responsibility and growing into it. John has the father figure character stuff, but you see a lot of humanity with his interactions with the Terminator and Sarah. Danni, is just a boring retread, but her relationship with Grace is really not indicative of anything. She was just easily the worst part of the movie.

As was the future. Beyond just looking like every post Apocalypse grey future that every single fucking movie has to look like now. I also can't fathom how they are fighting the new Terminators. I mean I understand that movies advance and so the Terminator has to. But you watch those first two and yeah Skynet has some advanced Vtol like things and obviously the Terminators can take a beating. But they aren't like moving and attacking like Iron Man Mark 1000 Nanobite Edition.

It's just kind of a lame movie. It lacks so much personality and atmosphere. T1 feels like a horror movie and the Terminator is menacing. The visuals are cold and dark, it feels seedy. It feels like a tense nightmare and it no doubt is for Sarah. It also feels like a movie interested in it's characters.

Terminator 2 also feels like it takes it's time with its characters. Plenty of the scenes with Sarah are shot with so much tension you can't help but feel her bleakness.

This movie just feels like a boring modern movie with boring nothing characters.

RockyBalboa_

Apr 28, 2018

Spot on

I'll be seeing it again this weekend :)

Alexandros

Oct 26, 2017
Same, but they don't have to recast Eddie Furlong, he could just get back in shape.

Anyway this thread is too long to read, but it was all James Cameron's idea.

Why the hell did he think that it was a good idea? I could understand subverting the audience's expectations if you wanted to go in a completely different direction but killing John Connor just to replace him with another John Connor-esque character being hunted by a Skynet-esque AI is really, really stupid.

Charsace

Chicken Chaser
Nov 22, 2017
Why the hell did he think that it was a good idea? I could understand subverting the audience's expectations if you wanted to go in a completely different direction but killing John Connor just to replace him with another John Connor-esque character being hunted by a Skynet-esque AI is really, really stupid.
John Connor has never been the hero in the movies actual timeline. His judgement day never happens as a result of Sarah heroism. John's death did serve a purpose though. His death creates Carl and creates the Sarah/Carl team that delays humanity's fight against against annihilation

All they are doing is delaying the inevitable. Fate pushes back harder with attempt.

dennett316

Nov 2, 2017
Blackpool, UK
Terminator 2: For if a machine, a Terminator, can learn the value of human life; maybe we can too.
Yep. Had the same issue with RLM's review as well. They say they love T2, yet keep conveniently forgetting huge chunks of it when it suits them. The Terminator in T2 changed dramatically over the course of a few days with John, yet they complain about another Terminator growing something resembling a conscience over a couple of decades.