• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Burt

Fight Sephiroth or end video games
Oct 28, 2017
Worst Sarah ever. Blinking from fear when a tiny pistol goes off
giphy.gif
Lwbsgc3.gif

PHOENIXZERO

Oct 29, 2017
Best Terminator since Terminator 2.¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Killing John like that bothered me but at the same time, what else would they do with him without recasting again? Bringing back Hamilton was a more interesting choice and they didn't have to recast to make it work.

lupinko

Oct 26, 2017
Best Terminator since Terminator 2.¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Killing John like that bothered me but at the same time, what else would they do with him without recasting again? Bringing back Hamilton was a more interesting choice and they didn't have to recast to make it work.

Same, but they don't have to recast Eddie Furlong, he could just get back in shape.

Anyway this thread is too long to read, but it was all James Cameron's idea.

Slaythe

The Wise Ones
Oct 25, 2017
I think it's impossible to really judge Genisys.

Because the atrocious casting AND the fact they spoiled ALL of it through all their marketing, including trailers, made it impossible to even enjoy the film in any capacity.

I really do think its concept was not as horrible as some people make it out to be.

Same, but they don't have to recast Eddie Furlong, he could just get back in shape.

Anyway this thread is too long to read, but it was all James Cameron's idea.

What a joke after what he said of Alien 3.
I thought [the decision to eliminate Newt, Hicks, and Bishop] was dumb," he said (via io9). "I thought it was a huge slap in the face to the fans. I think it was a big mistake. Certainly, had we been involved we would not have done that, because we felt we earned something with the audience for those characters."

terminator-2-judgment-day-lg.jpg

lupinko

Oct 26, 2017

Because the atrocious casting AND the fact they spoiled ALL of it through all their marketing, including trailers, made it impossible to even enjoy the film in any capacity.

I really do think its concept was not as horrible as some people make it out to be.

What a joke after what he said of Alien 3.

terminator-2-judgment-day-lg.jpg

Yeah, but John Connor had 3 other movies after T2 to be important in, and overall he was important in all five of those previous movies. Newt, Hicks and Bishop were just in one movie prior to Alien Cubed.

Burt

Fight Sephiroth or end video games
Oct 28, 2017

Genysis's concept was easily the best in the franchise post-T2, and maybe the only way it could've actually gone. At least, the "AI emerging through the combination of the accumulated knowledge/surveillance capabilities of social media, techbro hubris, and the reckless, all-consuming nature of big business" part. The character and time travel elements are abysmal and earned all the flak they get. But, the movie's poor execution has definitely led to the Skynet side of the equation being maligned much more than it deserves.

spookyduzt

Drive-In Mutant
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Yeah, but John Connor had 3 other movies after T2 to be important in, and overall he was important in all five of those previous movies. Newt, Hicks and Bishop were just in one movie prior to Alien Cubed.

Sure, but with those other John Connor's there was a certain degree of separation because he'd been recast as three different older actors. And in those films he was portrayed as: a junkie, a SkyNet converted terminator, and ultimately is never even born because of time travel fuckery. The character of John Connor up to this point has been far from a sacred cow, but with Dark Fate it's different. Dark Fate's John Connor is T2 John Connor. It's Edward Furlong de-aged to 1991. It's the John Connor we first cared about, and saw go through hell as he survived the T-1000 and stopped Judgment Day. Killing him in cold blood like that was a failure in judgment on Cameron and Miller's part to understand audience attachment to characters and the actors who played them. Nobody would have batted an eye if that T-800 had walked in and shot Christian Bale dead. But teenage Edward Furlong? You're turning your audience against you before the movie even begins.

OP
OP
VorpalNonsense
Oct 25, 2017
Hopefully now the Terminator can rest.

I'd still like to see a low-budget, horror movie Terminator though.
I'm content with this as the last terminator movie, I liked it and it's solid closure for me. I'd rather they close out here on a good note than potentially fuck it up later. But if they wanna go back to real horror instead of big budget action I'd be back for more for sure. If that's the premise then please do. Otherwise let it be.

I was thinking about that too and it had to just be a blatant mistake in the movie. She was given the coordinates and times of two other terminators who I imagine she saw them get out of the time bubble and blasted them. While the bridge in the movie is hours and miles away from the time travel event and "Carl" couldn't text her THAT specific location with no time travel event occurring at that moment.

I saw an interview with Miller where he said that if you pay attention, Sarah's car is on the bridge when Grace arrives. Implying she's already there, and has been following her since her arrival until jumping into action on the later bridge scene.

RyougaSaotome

Oct 25, 2017
I'm actually kinda surprised that post T2 and three really awful films, people were really that pressed for more John Conner.

I probably would've been angry if this movie was made immediately following T2 back in the day, but with so many years between the two, I actually didn't mind.

In fact, I'd argue that what T3 did by killing Sarah off screen was way worse for me, especially since she was the heart and soul of the franchise at that point. Not Arnold or John. I think that's when I realized that I just wasn't interested in a Terminator film without Sarah, and more specifically, Linda Hamilton, though I quite liked the SCC.

shintoki

Oct 25, 2017
Movie felt like it was the least original of the lot and that is saying something. Almost everything was lifted from the previous films. I enjoyed it once Arnold came in, but getting there was rough. The finale being rougher. Its not as bad as Genysis, but its not as good as T3 or Salvation let alone the two OGs

The scene of Jane Connor finding Not a terminator, but a terminator as a kid.... Christ that was terrible. Just hirer an older actor.

Last edited:

Lump

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
What Dark Fate is far worse, it deleted John ever being a hero or achieving anything. Newt, Hicks etc had no future legacy.

Then it gives John's entire legacy to another person. So much for John being humanity's only hope.

John tossed that chip into the magma stuff though. He did humanity a solid.

What was really weird was that 1998 John Connor looked exactly like 1991 John Connor, down to the exact same haircut. Didn't grow at all. Guy should've got a haircut at least.

Slaythe

The Wise Ones
Oct 25, 2017
This is a terrible closure for me as it's clear it was supposed to be much more.

So I'll go back to ignoring another mediocre sequel and pretend T2 is the conclusion, since it truly has a perfect ending.

John tossed that chip into the magma stuff though. He did humanity a solid.

What was really weird was that 1998 John Connor looked exactly like 1991 John Connor, down to the exact same haircut. Didn't grow at all. Guy should've got a haircut at least.

????

And ruin that perfect hair ?

Get out of here

GekigangerV

Oct 25, 2017
I saw an interview with Miller where he said that if you pay attention, Sarah's car is on the bridge when Grace arrives. Implying she's already there, and has been following her since her arrival until jumping into action on the later bridge scene.

I probably won't watch this movie again until it is on Netflix, but I will try to remember that next time I see it. I wonder if they shot something more overtly hinting she was there but wanted to have the more badass action reveal later on.

Genesius

Nov 2, 2018
I thought the opening with the T2 clip and subsequent smoking of John was super interesting and turned out to be the best part of the movie.

Mackenzie Davis deserves better.

OP
OP
VorpalNonsense
Oct 25, 2017
At least they didn't Kyle Reese did they? He's a kid somewhere in this era right?
He was born around 2003ish, which in his time was ~6 years after judgment day.
If they wanted to, they could claim he was born to a normal peaceful life and is 16 years old.

But more realistically, 6 years of timeline deviation is a long time, and it's more likely he was never born because the wartime circumstances of his birth didn't happen. Preventing Skynet probably prevents a new Kyle Reese as well. The only one to exist was the stranger from another time.

Nephtes

Oct 27, 2017
Just saw this movie today. Based on the trailers I thought I was going to hate it but I ended up legit loving every second.

I feel that this is the proper 3 we should have gotten.
it felt fresh while also paying direct homage to what came before. There was just enough Arnold and just enough humor.

Mindman

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Just saw this movie today. Based on the trailers I thought I was going to hate it but I ended up legit loving every second.

I feel that this is the proper 3 we should have gotten.
it felt fresh while also paying direct homage to what came before. There was just enough Arnold and just enough humor.

This summarized how I felt also! An absolute perfect sequel in my eyes. I came on here to rave about how good it was, I loved absolutely everything about it! Also shed a damn tear at the end too.

This is the REAL Terminator 3, for sure. Don't let it bomb people!!

carlosrox

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Vancouver BC
What Dark Fate is far worse, it deleted John ever being a hero or achieving anything. Newt, Hicks etc had no future legacy.

Then it gives John's entire legacy to another person. So much for John being humanity's only hope.

Yes agreed.

I love Alien 3. Now that is one bleak as fuck movie. The ending to that gets me every time.

------

For me T3 gets way too much shit. Aside from some (admittedly pretty damn) dumb comedy, some very forced moments, and a general pointless feel, I think T3 is easily the best of everything after 2. The flaws I just mentioned are also in Genisys and DF, but arguably just as bad if not worse, plus they have their own issues.

T3 is good. Cut out a lot of the comedy especially and it would be a lot better. Same with Gen and DF. It was the most realistic follow up story wise. It made sense. It kept the series going, it made sense that it had to happen. Excellent surprise ending.

I wish T3 could come out again today. T3 was the T3 we shoulda had, it just needs a director's cut or something.

------

I really think the amount of sequels, retcons, etc seriously damaged this series. I feel like we coulda just left it at T3. Then you can take out T3, Salvation, and Genisys, and go straight to this. There's just too much of it out there.

Kyle Reese and John Connor probably had more actors play them than we've fucking had James Bonds lol. Think about, John Connor was never even played by any actor more than once.

Last edited:

Paganmoon

Oct 26, 2017

John's legacy was deleted the second they defeated Skynet. He was no longer destined to be the hero of humanity.

Also, I can't believe there are people in this thread starting to talk up Genisys as better, or even a good Terminator movie.

liquidtmd

Avenger
Oct 28, 2017
I find it weird Michael Edwards (glimpsed at as General / Older John Connor in T2) had such a short filmography and is apparently best known for being Priscilla Presleys boyfriend

He had such an interesting face

Last edited:

ArcLyte

Nov 1, 2017
Love T1 and T2 but have no real attachment to the series. Dark Fate was pretty damn awesome other than the future Dani scene which I cringed through

Oct 28, 2017
The actress that played Grace save this movie. What a badass character. The action at the early part of the movie that begins in the factory is really cool.
Agreed. That was a really intense action scene. Sounded ridiculous in Dolby too.

I still can't get over how terrible that flash forward scene of Dani uniting the scavengers was.The dialog and performance was absolutely atrocious. It's basically the central dramatic reveal of the whole movie and it was BAD. Mackenzie does her best to save it. Genuinely surprised that made the final edit.

Last edited:

Vareon

Oct 25, 2017
Just got back from watching it. What an...inconsequential movie that was? Weird choice of words but that's how I feel about it. The cast was great (Grace was awesome), the new Terminator is terrifying, the action is great. But nothing lingered enough in my mind and I feel there's no need for the movie to be made. I was fun though so that counts.

Oct 28, 2017
So if Sara and John stopped Judgment Day why was another Terminator sent through to kill John?

Didn't they already erase that future from ever happening?

Slipknot666

Banned
Dec 1, 2017
So if Sara and John stopped Judgment Day why was another Terminator sent through to kill John?

Didn't they already erase that future from ever happening?
The movie implied that Skynet send several terminators to different points in time(T800 in 1984, T1000 in 1994, the T800 who killed John in 1998 etc)

Deleted member 13155

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Mediocre movie.

Its better than Genisys, and perhaps Salvation. Dunno about T3, have to see that one again. But this movie is really not good.

I liked the action scenes, they were well done, but I didn't like the story and while very pretty, Reyes was offensively bad.

I also hated what they did to T800.

They could easily cut that whole part at the house and nothing would change. Let them dig him up or appear based on him tracking Terminator threats of something. This whole family thing was bullshit.

Deleted member 7051

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Oh, that's kinda dumb. Also, how has Sara dedicated her life to hunting Terminators if she stopped Judgment Day?

Wouldn't you? She knows what Terminators are and the future they're from and they're showing up to kill specific targets, totally unaware there's no point. She's given exact coordinates for when and where they'll show up, so she goes and kills them - saving dozens of lives, if the first two movies are any indication.

Oct 29, 2017
Australia
OH BOY...

The action in this movie was great. Like really great. It was gritty and packed a mean punch. However, literally everything outside of the action was abysmal.

The plot was just plain dumb and lazy. It's been done so many times now.

The script was atrocious.

The pacing was bad. Some of the scenes in the middle of the movie were insanely boring and uninteresting. I wanted the Rev-9 to just appear and start killing everyone to get them to shut up.

The characters sucked. Grace was awesome in the action scenes, but ultimately I found her so annoying and unlikable. Dani was a whole lot of nothing. The backstory for Carl was ridiculous and it felt like the movie had no idea what to do with him. Sarah was just kinda there. On the plus side, the Rev-9 was pretty awesome.

The acting was all over the place with some truly awful line delivery. Dani in particular was terribly acted. She's instantly forgettable, but I did like how she finally fought back at the end. Even Sarah felt off. Her acting was pretty bad at times.

During the car chase I was extremely impressed, but wow did it go downhill quickly. It's a shame, because when the movie was good with the action scenes, it was really good.

Overall it simply felt like it was ticking things off a checklist. It felt pointless, directionless and unnecessary.

Last edited:

Team_Feisar

Jan 16, 2018
Oh, that's kinda dumb. Also, how has Sara dedicated her life to hunting Terminators if she stopped Judgment Day?

If I got it right, because the Terminators that appeared between T2 and DF all came from the same (now averted) point in the future. So all the terminators from T1, T2 and T:DF were sent by Skynet at the same point in the future to different destinations in the past. Just because that particular future was deleted in T2 doesn't mean the Terminators that were already "on their way" also disappear.
Rev-9 is the only non-Skynet Terminator in the Movie, those that Sara hunted all came from Skynet.

(Also, while I was initially not a fan of the first Scene, I kinda turned around on it and appreciate that the overall Plot now doesn't revolve around one single, messianic individual but humanity always rising to fight their destruction.)

Ausroachman

Oct 27, 2017
I rate this movie worse then all other terminator movies purely for the fact it destroys the legacies of the first 2 movies.

Shitting on all of the terminator 2 fans and then trying to copy it is not a good way to win over an audience.

I also hate the fact we will never get the old style future war.

StallionDan

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
The movie implied that Skynet send several terminators to different points in time(T800 in 1984, T1000 in 1994, the T800 who killed John in 1998 etc)

Which was dumb, if the future was changed then no more should have turned up, also Skynet should of been up and running already by that point in time so why is it sending Terminators there?

And of course, why didn't the Resistance send protectors back for each of them?

Also, how the hell has Sarah been killing all these terminators in the 20 years since John died. They are tough bastards.

Bad_Boy

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Blowing up a fuel truck didn't kill one, how much firepower can she have?
The fuel truck was a legion terminator, much harder to kill. And shes never fought one.

But she knows how to kill the skynet terminators. With a little bit of planning im sure it wasnt hard for her. Plus she had air force connections.