• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Dice

Oct 25, 2017
Canada
Oh JK. Equality isn't pie, more rights for someone doesn't take away the rights of anyone else.
Nothing like seeing shitheads crusade for a cause that has nothing to do with them.

Inugami

Oct 25, 2017
Keep hoping every time this is bumped that there is at least some tiny form of comeuppance for Rowling... I should know better by now. Just more awful... I don't have the headspace to dedicate to get awfulness anymore.

Mekanos

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 17, 2018
One of my best friends is a trans woman and lifelong Harry Potter fan. She's obviously been going through a lot regarding this and recently in a conversation kept trying to bargain, rationalizing it, figure out that somehow JK was just misled or she could come around someday. It was really upsetting to see how much this author who meant so much to her completely shatter her like that.

Nothing less than JKR openly apologizing for her views and spending the rest of her life as a pro-trans activist, speaking on behalf of trans people and funding trans activism would be acceptable to me. Fuck her.

Wogan

Oct 28, 2017
One of my best friends is a trans woman and lifelong Harry Potter fan. She's obviously been going through a lot regarding this and recently in a conversation kept trying to bargain, rationalizing it, figure out that somehow JK was just misled or she could come around someday. It was really upsetting to see how much this author who meant so much to her completely shatter her like that.

Nothing less than JKR openly apologizing for her views and spending the rest of her life as a pro-trans activist, speaking on behalf of trans people and funding trans activism would be acceptable to me. Fuck her.

It's understandable for your friend to want to hold onto Harry Potter. And we all have gone through similar untangling of ourselves from either the books, the author or both. Since she went full attack terf I have found it impossible to return to the books, films or anything related to the work. I can't find what I found in them anymore.

I do wonder if she did ever come to her senses - offered genuine regret, apology and charitable donations appropriate to such an about face - if I could forgive her for the harm her bigotry has fuelled. Unfortunately, she's found an echo chamber and an eager UK media that are willing to pat her on her back for openly attacking people's basic human rights and labelling her brave.

In that environment, I think the day she will apologise, Satan will also have to go to work in a snowplough.

I genuinely hate her, as a younger man, my fondest wish was to get my copy of an out of print edition of Azkaban signed. It was dog eared, well worn and having it signed wouldn't have increased its value except knowing she would have done it. I used to carry it around when I went on trips to places she was known to frequent hoping I might run into her. Silly childish dream. I see that book in my cupboard now and I'm just sad.

She ruined it. She's such a fucking disappointment.

Grundle_Fudge

Banned
Jul 2, 2021
User banned (permanent): troll account
A hardback first edition copy of The Philosophers Stone sold for more than a first edition Don Quixote on Sotheby's the other day.

WillyFive

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
One of my best friends is a trans woman and lifelong Harry Potter fan. She's obviously been going through a lot regarding this and recently in a conversation kept trying to bargain, rationalizing it, figure out that somehow JK was just misled or she could come around someday.

Well, she's not wrong. No one is born with those hateful views, and JK can still come around someday.

But the longer that JK finds positive reinforcement from people who agree with those views; the harder it will be to convince her otherwise. JK is now in a community that sees her as a hero; what can anyone do to break that?

nitewulf

Nov 29, 2017
I respect Stephen King a lot, but he should out right denounce JK Rowling IMO, why is he pussyfooting around this issue? He has nothing to lose here.

Platy

Oct 25, 2017
Brazil
A hardback first edition copy of The Philosophers Stone sold for more than a first edition Don Quixote on Sotheby's the other day.

www.lgbtqnation.com

J.K. Rowling says 90% of her fans agree with her transphobia but they’re afraid to say so publicly

She claims that people who oppose trans rights live in a

And rowling thinks basically every fan agrees with her

thankfuly some are in denial, think you can't ignore a living authour using the money for evil or are just unaware of the whole thing

Deleted member 46948

Account closed at user request
Banned
Aug 22, 2018
www.lgbtqnation.com

J.K. Rowling says 90% of her fans agree with her transphobia but they’re afraid to say so publicly

She claims that people who oppose trans rights live in a

And rowling thinks basically every fan agrees with her

thankfuly some are in denial, think you can't ignore a living authour using the money for evil or are just unaware of the whole thing

This is a very common defense of bigots, racists and xenophobes of every kind. "Hey I'm just saying out loud what almost everyone is thinking".

Arkanim94

Oct 27, 2017

Kyuuji

The Favonius Fox
Nov 8, 2017
Yes, Joanne, it is surely the transphobes that live in a climate of fear in the UK. 🙄

DryCreek

Oct 25, 2017
JKR lives on annother planet if she genuinely believes 90% of fans agree with her. HP fans are more progressive on average and general public opinion on trans people is more positive that the press here would have you believe

Amalthea

Dec 22, 2017
Personal safety? So she's claiming that people are targeting and physically assaulting TERFs? Do people legitimately believe this?
It's basically the TERF variant of cancel culture. Except that they go even further and compare getting told "No, you're wrong!" to being beaten up and abused. Imagine the sheer privilege of being that morally bancrupt. Imagine you're an actual victim of assault and those people who pretend to care about you, misuse and devalue the meaning being assaulted like that, just to spew their bigotry. It's unbelieveable. But that's the world we live in. In a few years there will be propably some white rich person who will claim that they were "murdered" for not being praised for a malicious opinion.

Wogan

Oct 28, 2017

She's doing a weird victory lap about getting a death threat. All she is pointing out is she's too big for people to really do anything to stop her being so awful. Of course threat of violence is stupid but it's interesting that this is just fuel for her anti-trans agenda rather than a call to stop violence.

May 26, 2018

She's doing a weird victory lap about getting a death threat. All she is pointing out is she's too big for people to really do anything to stop her being so awful. Of course threat of violence is stupid but it's interesting that this is just fuel for her anti-trans agenda rather than a call to stop violence.

And now Rowling is mere steps away from the "arrest the trans folk" tweet. Unless I missed that one already.

anariel

Oct 27, 2017

"I don't think you should exist but oh no how dare you have malice towards me"

Not that I'm advocating for violence, but her playing the victim card after the bullshit she's pulled is laughable, if predictable.

Gleethor

Oct 25, 2017
Dot Matrix with stereo sound
"I don't think you should exist but oh no how dare you have malice towards me"

Not that I'm advocating for violence, but her playing the victim card after the bullshit she's pulled is laughable, if predictable.
It's infuriating is what it is. Her awful beliefs combined with her massive platform create what is straight up an existential threat to trans people, particularly in the UK. And then she has the gall to whine/gloat about her death threats as if they are some sort of irrefutable evidence that she is on the side of righteousness. Her rhetoric directly contributes to the oppression of one of the most vulnerable demographics on the planet but that's somehow not as bad as her being cyberbullied while she dries her eyes with billions of pounds

May 26, 2018
It's infuriating is what it is. Her awful beliefs combined with her massive platform create what is straight up an existential threat to trans people, particularly in the UK. And then she has the gall to whine/gloat about her death threats as if they are some sort of irrefutable evidence that she is on the side of righteousness. Her rhetoric directly contributes to the oppression of one of the most vulnerable demographics on the planet but that's somehow not as bad as her being cyberbullied while she dries her eyes with billions of pounds

I mean, with this kind of power... run for office when?

anariel

Oct 27, 2017
I agree. She's a monster, straight up. Laughable was a poor choice of words to describe the situation, considering the severity of damage she causes on the regular. I'm just exasperated with (and tired of) the hateful garbage she spews on an almost daily basis.

Last edited:
Oct 26, 2017
This is a very common defense of bigots, racists and xenophobes of every kind. "Hey I'm just saying out loud what almost everyone is thinking".
Remember when she first started spouting this nonsense she'd always reiterate how she supports trans people and doesn't mean any harm... Guess even that thin veneer of bullshit has been dropped.

PAFenix

Unshakable Resolve
Nov 21, 2019

"Cancelling her only made her book sales go up"

Uh......then you weren't cancelled? Another prime example that "cancel culture" is completely overblown.

beelulzebub

Oct 25, 2017

Lol she's one step away from accidentally admitting cancel culture is a sham.

Platy

Oct 25, 2017
Brazil

and of course that death threat might even be from a fake trans person...

and even if was from an actual trans person...

n0Ey2ra.png

Z-Beat

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
She's continuing to dump metric tons of poison into that Harry Potter well I see

Platy

Oct 25, 2017
Brazil
and then this reasoning is flipped on its face to hide hateful groups from being correctly identified, it's maddening

The main reason why in the second tweet she said

"Yes, but now hundreds of trans activists have threatened to beat, rape, assassinate and bomb me I've realised that this movement poses no risk to women whatsoever."

And not just trans women or trans people. Because activists must means it is coming from the leaders of the group.

May 26, 2018
The main reason why in the second tweet she said

"Yes, but now hundreds of trans activists have threatened to beat, rape, assassinate and bomb me I've realised that this movement poses no risk to women whatsoever."

And not just trans women or trans people. Because activists must means it is coming from the leaders of the group.

Aha, so she is going for "time to arrest the trans people like they terrorists they are" angle.

She is a literal threat to society. Christ. To think some day I was going to pass on Harry Potter to the next generation. Now ash is all they're good for.

Kyuuji

The Favonius Fox
Nov 8, 2017
Trans or not, if you're making death threats, you can fuck off. That is not the way to make things better.
Pretty much. It'll be eternally frustrating that outlets will frenzy over a single tweet she receives while barely raising a whisper around how she actively endangers and harms children, but throwing out something around hoping she gets pipe-bombed is stupid and just works to galvanise the misplaced sympathy she attracts.

DeltaRed

Apr 27, 2018
Making death threats is wrong and has no place....BUT (not that it justifies it) at a wild guess I'd say her comments have endangered more lives than that tweet towards her genuinely endangering hers.

T002 Tyrant

Nov 8, 2018
I just tend to ignore everything she says, knowing it's instantly wrong. As someone who's trans, I just don't have the emotional energy to get mad, and I just roll my eyes.

Uzzy

Gabe’s little helper
Oct 25, 2017
Hull, UK
Death threats are beyond the pale, end of.

It's ridiculous that she gets to spout her hateful trash to a wide and receptive audience in the British media and they'll look at this one tweet and feel that she's justified. Really bleak and depressing tbh.

StreetsAhead

Sep 16, 2020
Death threats are fucking stupid and don't help at all. She gets to paint herself as the victim and the people who oppose her bigotry the villains.

Kyuuji

The Favonius Fox
Nov 8, 2017
It's ridiculous that she gets to spout her hateful trash to a wide and receptive audience in the British media and they'll look at this one tweet and feel that she's justified. Really bleak and depressing tbh.
Yeh, cursory glance at the headlines online and..

headsqljgb.jpg

Just brings back to mind that section from the Judith Butler interview:

screenshot2021-07-20a68j02.png

www.newstatesman.com

Judith Butler on the culture wars, JK Rowling and living in “anti-intellectual times”

The philosopher and gender theorist discusses tensions in the feminist movement over trans rights

Status
Not open for further replies.