• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Bear Patrol

Oct 27, 2017
www.bbc.com

The winners: The 2020 Russell Prize for best writing

The Russell Prize for 2020 is announced, celebrating great writing.

It really should be a new thread because of how much it says about the BBC.

They awarded J K Rowling a literature prize for her writing on transgender rights. And praised her bravery. And compared her to Enoch Powell.
The fact that this idiot referenced Enoch Powell's speech at all, brought it back for more exposure and then praised JK Rowlings language for it's supposed bravery by saying the following:
I take absolutely no view whatsoever on the issues that she raises.

I do take an issue on abuse and trolling, and Rowling has achieved the inglorious honour of topping many a league table for those. The deluge of hatred that she faced before writing this blog made it brave, and it was nothing compared to what came after.

Fucking disgusting, cowardly scum.

Famassu

Oct 27, 2017
Fucking gross of BBC. Imagine if they had rewarded some writer who wrote a similar attack piece on minorities on how homosexuality is a curable disease or how black people are inherently dumber than white people or some such. That's how vile praising JK Rowling in this situation is. But because it's about those weird, perverse trans people, it's ok.

Alavard

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Hmm? Oh wait, yeah, now I remember. The new books she writes are under a (male?) pen name that is also the name of some somewhat (in)famous homophobe with connections to conversion therapy, yeah?

Indeed. He literally tried to electroshock homosexual men into becoming heterosexual. She has claimed it's a coincidence (which, I mean, come on), but even so, a reasonable non bigot if they somehow made such a mistake would stop using the name and not write 6 books under it.

Platy

Oct 25, 2017
Brazil
This was my first thought. Why is this so difficult?

When they say "sex is real" what they mean is that "in our society we divide stuff by sex, not by gender so the sex you are matters most than what gender you are" but everything outside of a doctor's office or a laboratory, gender is what matters in anything in life, so saying that the "male and female bathroom" refers to gender to them it means that "sex is not real" because "sex does not matter"

HustleBun

Nov 12, 2017
www.bbc.com

The winners: The 2020 Russell Prize for best writing

The Russell Prize for 2020 is announced, celebrating great writing.

It really should be a new thread because of how much it says about the BBC.

They awarded J K Rowling a literature prize for her writing on transgender rights. And praised her bravery. And compared her to Enoch Powell.

Yeah, mods can Peebs make a new thread?

This story is going to get buried and I think "BBC Celebrates Transphobia With Award, Cites 'Bravery'" should be more exposed. BBC needs to get a lot of shade for this.

I already wrote a complaint in about the latest BBC article. It probably won't do anything, but make your voice heard at least.

Complaints | Contact the BBC

These pages have information about how to complain to the BBC, with links to the BBC’s Complaints Framework, the BBC’s regulator Ofcom and regular reports about complaints. If you would like to understand how we collect and use personal data, please refer to our privacy notice. Watch our short...
With this link attached?

Dec 30, 2020
This is just more on the pile for me. I was originally wary when the "special" characters, magical-types, used diminutive slurs (muggles, squibs, etc.) to describe non-magical characters, and then those characters (the Dersleys, Filch, etc.) are alwaye depicted as horrible people.

Then came Gringotts and I got REALLY wary that she portrayed bankers as goblins with huge noses and no morals, like worse versions of ferenghi.

There's more but this stuff just piles on that she really is a sack of troll shit.

NekoNeko

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
i don't see why the Contra Points video shouldn't be its own thread. what does it achieve when we burry a video like that in this catch all thread about JKR. i mean i'm fine with not opening a thread everytime she says a stupid thing but i feel like this goes against the point of that.

Kyuuji

The Favonius Fox
Nov 8, 2017
Not quite sure why deconstructions of how and why Rowling is bigoted are shunned into this thread while Harry Potter TV series and game threads are allowed with a "don't worry it's alright to be excited tho" disclaimer in them. Pretty counterintuitive imo. I had hoped that the nods toward potentially blocking the IP here for how morally repugnant support for it is – that came in the wake of Cyberpunk 2077's mess – were more than just lumps of snow in the morning sun.

Deleted member 52442

User requested account closure
Banned
Jan 24, 2019
Someone made a thread for it -
www.resetera.com

J.K. Rowling | ContraPoints

Just became visible to non-patrons and it lasts 90 minutes, so haven't watched it, but I thought some of you would like a heads-up. Content warnings apply, obviously, for discussion of transphobia but also abuse and assault. Really, really curious about her take on Rowling's (and a lot of the...

Kyuuji

The Favonius Fox
Nov 8, 2017
I thought there was a separate thread for the contrapoints video.
Someone made a thread for it -
www.resetera.com

J.K. Rowling | ContraPoints

Just became visible to non-patrons and it lasts 90 minutes, so haven't watched it, but I thought some of you would like a heads-up. Content warnings apply, obviously, for discussion of transphobia but also abuse and assault. Really, really curious about her take on Rowling's (and a lot of the...
It was locked and then reopened, to give some context for the above.

Vector

Feb 28, 2018
Joan is a billionaire with endless money streaming into her accounts thanks to being the creator of one of the most profitable media properties ever. Not buying a game because she's gonna get royalties from it is not the point you should be making.

You should instead boycott this game because the world of Harry Potter itself is incredibly bigoted and reflects JK's own disgusting views. A lot of her transphobia and bigotry in general manifests itself in her work, sometimes in subtle ways (see: JK's obsession with girls' bathrooms in Harry Potter always having an evil/dangerous intruder in them) and other times in not so subtle ways.

The point I'm trying to make here is that you can't separate the art from the artist in this instance, because the art itself is dripping with the artist's prejudices and bigotry.

Remeran

Nov 27, 2018
Joan is a billionaire with endless money streaming into her accounts thanks to being the creator of one of the most profitable media properties ever. Not buying a game because she's gonna get royalties from it is not the point you should be making.

You should instead boycott this game because the world of Harry Potter itself is incredibly bigoted and reflects JK's own disgusting views. A lot of her transphobia and bigotry in general manifests itself in her work, sometimes in subtle ways (see: JK's obsession with girls' bathrooms in Harry Potter always having an evil/dangerous intruder in them) and other times in not so subtle ways.

The point I'm trying to make here is that you can't separate the art from the artist in this instance, because the art itself is dripping with the artist's prejudices and bigotry.
Hmmm, I haven't read the books in a long while but I don't think I ever got that from reading them. I think I'm going to do another re-read with this in mind, I'm sure it'll be eye opening.

Bengraven

Oct 26, 2017
Florida
The Lindsay Ellis breakdown of transphobia in pop culture uses JKR's issues as a framing story and is well done. Plus, ContraPoints crossover.

We_care_a_lot

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Summerside PEI

Your broader point is more relevant but also one of the Devs is a huge bigot too apparently? So that's just another reason to stay away from the game, specifically?

Pirateluigi

Oct 27, 2017

I agree that her work is shaped by her biases, but I think it would be worth boycotting her even if that wasnt the case. Keeping her work relevant gives her an increased platform that she uses to spread her hate.

KillstealWolf

One Winged Slayer
Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
I want to ask the staff if the new ruling to ban talk about the marketing of the Hogwarts game on Era will also be extended to other JK Rowling properties, like whenever Warner Bros. plans to show off the next Fantastic Beasts movie to the world. This is under the assumption that nothing changes at Warner Bros and the terrible people in charge of the franchise are still in charge of the next products in the series as well.

deimosmasque

Ugly, Queer, Gender-Fluid, Drive-In Mutant, yes?
Apr 22, 2018
Tampa, Fl
Hmmm, I haven't read the books in a long while but I don't think I ever got that from reading them. I think I'm going to do another re-read with this in mind, I'm sure it'll be eye opening.
There is also the plot point that there is a spell on the girls dorm to keep boys out but not vice-versa. Some house elves are said to "like" being a slave. And the bankers are goblins described as being short with beady eyes and large noses much like racist depictions of Jews.

And that's just off the top of my head.

Remeran

Nov 27, 2018
There is also the plot point that there is a spell on the girls dorm to keep boys out but not vice-versa. Some house elves are said to "like" being a slave. And the bankers are goblins described as being short with beady eyes and large noses much like racist depictions of Jews.

And that's just off the top of my head.
Damn, I do remember being confused about the girls dorm room stuff and the house elf stuff back when I initially read the books. I'm so so on the goblin thing since that's a common descriptions of goblins in general, though maybe origins of goblins (in general) are nefarious. I expected a glass/childhood shattering experience on the re-reads.

OP
OP
It’s Time To Go
Dec 2, 2017
Persephone did a great summary of the HP issues

JKR really wrote a series including a species (metamorphagi) who can change any aspect of their body at will but hates trans people... the brain worms...

Anyway a not entirely comprehensive list of the absolute rancid garbage in the Harry Potter series that means "haha it came from Hatsune Miku/space" doesn't work because her shitty viewpoints permeate the writing (note: I'm not saying you can't enjoy HP! But you have to think critically about it ESPECIALLY knowing that JKR is TERF garbage):
  • Hook-nosed greedy goblin bankers
  • The one Irish character is named Seamus Finnegan and is constantly blowing shit up
  • The one important east Asian character is called Cho Chang which is really the most "generic Asian name because they're all the same right?" ever
  • Cho is treated like a crazy hysterical lunatic for the horrible crime of...being a 16 year old girl who is grieving for her murdered boyfriend
  • House-elves are a species that exist to be enslaved and they LOVE being enslaved. Being freed from enslavement makes them extremely depressed (see Winky in GoF)
  • Hermione's campaign to end aforementioned slavery is treated as a joke with Harry and Ron, our other two "heroes", doing nothing but rolling their eyes at her and talking about how annoying she is
  • Werewolves = HIV. Fenrir Greyback is a werewolf who loves infecting as many children as he can
  • Dumbledore and Grindelwald (aka proto-Wizard Hitler) were boyfriends??? Don't expect to see this in the actual books though, because JKR wants Woke Points without risk of backlash
  • The treatment of Slytherin house in general. "Don't judge people by the groups they belong to! Unless they're Slytherins in which case they're guaranteed to be evil" aka demonisation of literal children
  • Similarly Slytherin as indoctrination to the Death Eaters is never addressed and is just allowed to foster even by supposed "heroic" characters
  • Voldmort is evil because he was born of rape. Okay.
  • Snape, the man who terrorised children, including the son of his supposed "true love" (because HUEGHHGHEG he looks like his dad who was MEAN TO MEEEEE anyway I'm a wizard Nazi who insulted her with racial slurs but let's not talk about that) gets a redemption arc. "Albus Severus Potter, you were named for two of the bravest men I ever knew" BARF!!! What the fuck!!!
  • Umbridge, while thoroughly evil, is implied to be raped as "punishment" for her crimes. Feminism!
  • Harry dreams of nothing more than becoming a Wizard Cop and his becoming one is treated like a happy ending despite it being a) bootlicking nonsense and b) a complete contradiction to the themes set up in the series
  • In general Harry remains a passive observer and is totally cool with the status quo of isolationism, racism, blood purity and LITERAL CHATTEL SLAVERY and never does anything to change it
I probably missed stuff, feel free to add more. But yeah these books aren't like Minecraft which is devoid of its creator's shitty views. HP is STEEPED in JKR's bullshit.

Birdie

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Seeing the weird fat people hate in her new book (see Lindsey Ellis's video) it got me thinking how there's a lot of focus on fat people in HP IIRC as boorish, mean, and stupid.

Oct 27, 2017
Persephone did a great summary of the HP issues

I think a lot of these are problematic but also a lot of them seem to miss the point. Like, okay, say Werewolves represented HIV or a stigmatized disease, wasn't the whole point of Lupin and Fleur + Bill (I think?) to fight the stigma?

The whole house elves seemed fucked as well, but I don't remember them being particularly excited about being slaves. Like, wasn't that the whole point with Dobby and Hermione's fight to free house elves?

And yikes, I don't remember the implication that Umbridge was raped :S

OP
OP
It’s Time To Go
Dec 2, 2017
I think a lot of these are problematic but also a lot of them seem to miss the point. Like, okay, say Werewolves represented HIV or a stigmatized disease, wasn't the whole point of Lupin and Fleur + Bill (I think?) to fight the stigma?

The whole house elves seemed fucked as well, but I don't remember them being particularly excited about being slaves. Like, wasn't that the whole point with Dobby and Hermione's fight to free house elves?

And yikes, I don't remember the implication that Umbridge was raped :S
The house elves loved being slaves, dobby was considered an odd ball in his own community for wanting to be paid and get days off.

Lost Lemurian

Nov 30, 2019
The house elves loved being slaves, dobby was considered an odd ball in his own community for wanting to be paid and get days off.
One could make the argument that house elves were the victim of internalized racism, but JK has shown that she doesn't deserve that kind of charitable interpretation.

Especially since Hermione's efforts to free them from slavery is treated as both misguided and insensitive. There's no analysis of why the elves "like" being slaves, no discussion of the ethics of slavery as an institution, and no real resolution beyond "yep, race-based chattel slavery exists in this universe and pretty much everyone is okay with it".

In retrospect, pretty big red flag, now that I think about it...

Vector

Feb 28, 2018
Reminder that the entire plot of Harry Potter 2 revolves around a massive snake (dick) in the girls' bathroom that is hidden/not easily visible wreaking havoc and causing the downfall of the entire school.

Also in the first book Hermione was assaulted by a massive troll intruding in the girls' bathroom.

Also in book 6 Malfoy got savagely disfigured in the girls' bathroom.

And also that incident where Moaning Myrtle was killed by a boy in the girls' bathroom.

There's clearly a pattern here.

Brazil

Actual Brazilian
Oct 24, 2017
São Paulo, Brazil
Reminder that the entire plot of Harry Potter 2 revolves around a massive snake (dick) in the girls' bathroom that is hidden/not easily visible wreaking havoc and causing the downfall of the entire school.

Also in the first book Hermione was assaulted by a massive troll intruding in the girls' bathroom.

And also that incident where Moaning Myrtle was killed by a boy in the girls' bathroom.

... Fuck

foxuzamaki

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017

Well when you lay it out like that....

AliceAmber

Drive-in Mutant
Administrator
May 2, 2018

Just....so much yikes. Holy shit. Thanks for laying all of those points out. Absolute garbage person

Amalthea

Dec 22, 2017
You'd think the bathrooms woulde be one of the least central places one would write about in a magic school. Guess it's because it was such a groundbreaking invention in the wizard world, lest someone thinks "whoever" came up with all of this has some serious freudian issues with defecation.

ZeoVGM

Oct 25, 2017
Providence, RI

That's uh...

Hard to ignore.

Strider_Blaze

Oct 28, 2017
Lancaster, CA

I never thought of that!

*winces*

EdibleKnife

Oct 29, 2017

I mean that just makes it all the more baffling she has these politics when none of these seem to at all involve entering those areas under false pretense or somehow being granted permission to do these harms. Even in her own fiction she seems to recognize that people who want to do harm aren't going to be deterred by the gender on the bathroom sign.

PK Gaming

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
JKR really wrote a series including a species (metamorphagi) who can change any aspect of their body at will but hates trans people... the brain worms...

Anyway a not entirely comprehensive list of the absolute rancid garbage in the Harry Potter series that means "haha it came from Hatsune Miku/space" doesn't work because her shitty viewpoints permeate the writing (note: I'm not saying you can't enjoy HP! But you have to think critically about it ESPECIALLY knowing that JKR is TERF garbage):
  • Hook-nosed greedy goblin bankers
  • The one Irish character is named Seamus Finnegan and is constantly blowing shit up
  • The one important east Asian character is called Cho Chang which is really the most "generic Asian name because they're all the same right?" ever
  • Cho is treated like a crazy hysterical lunatic for the horrible crime of...being a 16 year old girl who is grieving for her murdered boyfriend
  • House-elves are a species that exist to be enslaved and they LOVE being enslaved. Being freed from enslavement makes them extremely depressed (see Winky in GoF)
  • Hermione's campaign to end aforementioned slavery is treated as a joke with Harry and Ron, our other two "heroes", doing nothing but rolling their eyes at her and talking about how annoying she is
  • Werewolves = HIV. Fenrir Greyback is a werewolf who loves infecting as many children as he can
  • Dumbledore and Grindelwald (aka proto-Wizard Hitler) were boyfriends??? Don't expect to see this in the actual books though, because JKR wants Woke Points without risk of backlash
  • The treatment of Slytherin house in general. "Don't judge people by the groups they belong to! Unless they're Slytherins in which case they're guaranteed to be evil" aka demonisation of literal children
  • Similarly Slytherin as indoctrination to the Death Eaters is never addressed and is just allowed to foster even by supposed "heroic" characters
  • Voldmort is evil because he was born of rape. Okay.
  • Snape, the man who terrorised children, including the son of his supposed "true love" (because HUEGHHGHEG he looks like his dad who was MEAN TO MEEEEE anyway I'm a wizard Nazi who insulted her with racial slurs but let's not talk about that) gets a redemption arc. "Albus Severus Potter, you were named for two of the bravest men I ever knew" BARF!!! What the fuck!!!
  • Umbridge, while thoroughly evil, is implied to be raped as "punishment" for her crimes. Feminism!
  • Harry dreams of nothing more than becoming a Wizard Cop and his becoming one is treated like a happy ending despite it being a) bootlicking nonsense and b) a complete contradiction to the themes set up in the series
  • In general Harry remains a passive observer and is totally cool with the status quo of isolationism, racism, blood purity and LITERAL CHATTEL SLAVERY and never does anything to change it
I probably missed stuff, feel free to add more. But yeah these books aren't like Minecraft which is devoid of its creator's shitty views. HP is STEEPED in JKR's bullshit.

There was also that scene where Dumbledore kept refilling a woman's wine glass and got her super drunk to get information out of her which came across as incredibly fucked up to me

But that's just a minor observation. Since nobody in Harry Potter believes in meaningful reform (besides Hermione who is treated as a joke as you said) the series is all about fighting to preserve the status quo. Which is just lame.

Vector

Feb 28, 2018
I mean that just makes it all the more baffling she has these politics when none of these seem to at all involve entering those areas under false pretense or somehow being granted permission to do these harms. Even in her own fiction she seems to recognize that people who want to do harm aren't going to be deterred by the gender on the bathroom sign.
Her brain is hardwired to think women's restrooms are dangerous places and it completely dominates her writing - there's not a single piece of fictional writing that fixates on girls' bathrooms as often and as randomly as Harry Potter.

Whether this irrational fear is derived from her transphobia or the cause of it, idk.

(also book 2 blatantly states that the presence of a snake/penis in the girls' bathroom means doom)

Status
Not open for further replies.