• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Thread guidelines

AliceAmber

Drive-in Mutant
Administrator
May 2, 2018
Official Staff Communication
Members have been asking for a single thread about JK Rowling that can serve as a comprehensive resource about her transphobic bigotry – many are already using this thread for that purpose, so we're going to make it official:

News about JK Rowling herself or any updates about the awful things she says and does should be posted in this thread and should not receive separate threads.

Threads with significant news about Harry Potter or related media can still be made separately, and JK Rowling's transphobic bigotry can (and should) still be discussed in those threads. This thread can be linked there as a resource.

If there are any posts with articles or news that you believe should be Threadmarked, report the post so that staff can take a look.

If you would like to create a new OP for this thread and take ownership of the thread (including the power to add Threadmarks) reach out to a staff member and let us know.

Trolling of any kind will not be tolerated in this thread. Report any violators.

Any attempts to downplay or dismiss the concerns members have about JK Rowling's bigotry will be banned. Additionally, low effort drive-by posts that add nothing to the conversation will be scrutinized and may be banned. If staff have reason to believe that you're just here to stir the pot, you will be removed from this thread and/or the site itself.

Platy

Oct 25, 2017
Brazil
From the other threads (sorry i can't quote people from closed threads =/)

I love that there is a reply like "jk rowling is not the villain" and like ... she never said she was in the original tweet, but people defending her only know one way to answer to trans people =P

-------------

fSHo8RV.jpg

W9gcqBZ.png

and washington post being trash

washingtonpost.com/opinions/2020/09/24/jk-rowling-controversy-transgender-harry-potter-author-statements-women/

Symphony

Oct 27, 2017
Alexander Armstrong is about the last celebrity in the UK I'd have expected to need to throw onto the trash heap, but at this point in time you can't back JK Rowling's position without outright endorsing her bigotry.

beelulzebub

Oct 25, 2017
Didn't he call her out not too long ago, publicly on Twitter?
Not exactly. He retweeted something Rowling said that didn't appear TERFy out of context, and then she praised him for being a wonderful author she looked up to. A twitter follower of his asked him to assert that trans women are women and when he did, Rowling deleted her tweet praising him.

Also I understand why all Rowling TERFy developments consolidate in this thread, but I do think the Eddie Redmayne endorsement goes beyond whatever dumb bullshit she's tweeting. He played a trans woman in The Danish Girl and in light of that I think his endorsement deserves to be discussed as its own topic.

Flannel_and_Assam

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Jun 21, 2020
United Kingdom
Ugh, Simon Fanshawe. One of the founders of the Stonewall organisation and a major TERF who constantly speaks out about Stonewall's stance on trans rights. He's also one of the supporters of the LGB Alliance. And fuck Tatsuya Ishida too.

Oof Ian McEwan. Or has he always been trash? I enjoyed a couple of his novels.
Always been trash:
'The self, like a consumer desirable, may be plucked from the shelves of a personal identity supermarket, a ready to wear little black number,' McEwan said during his speech. 'For example, some men in full possession of a penis are now identifying as women and demanding entry to women-only colleges, and the right to change in women's dressing rooms.'

During a follow up Q&A session one member of the audience asked him to clarify what she referred to as offensive remarks.

'Call me old fashioned, but I tend to think of people with penises as men,' he replied. 'But I know that they enter a difficult world when they become transsexuals and they tell us they are women, they become women, but it's interesting when you hear the conflict between feminists now and people in this group.

'It's quite a bitter conflict. Spaces are put aside, women are wanting to put spaced aside like colleges or changing rooms, and find from another side a radical discussion coming their way saying men who want to feel like it can come in too. I think it's really difficult. And I think there is sweeping through America campuses a strange kind of victimhood and a sense of purposeful identities that we can't actually all of us agree with. Of course sex and race are different, but they also have a biological basis. It makes a difference whether you have an X or Y chromosome.'

Razmos

Unshakeable One Winged Slayer
Oct 28, 2017
The tide seems to be turning in her favour and its pissing me right off.

HardRojo

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Peru
Not exactly. He retweeted something Rowling said that didn't appear TERFy out of context, and then she praised him for being a wonderful author she looked up to. A twitter follower of his asked him to assert that trans women are women and when he did, Rowling deleted her tweet praising him.

Also I understand why all Rowling TERFy developments consolidate in this thread, but I do think the Eddie Redmayne endorsement goes beyond whatever dumb bullshit she's tweeting. He played a trans woman in The Danish Girl and in light of that I think his endorsement deserves to be discussed as its own topic.
Ah yeah, that was the case. It's weird though, Stephen is someone whose opinions are very clear if you follow him on Twitter, so he's got to be aware of JKR's shitty opinions, right?

Pargon

Oct 27, 2017
Official Staff Communication
Threads with significant news about Harry Potter or related media can still be made separately, and JK Rowling's transphobic bigotry can (and should) still be discussed in those threads. This thread can be linked there as a resource.
So the official stance is that staff are still cool with using this platform to promote her new game then? Very disappointing to hear.

Platy

Oct 25, 2017
Brazil
So the official stance is that staff are still cool with using this platform to promote her new game then? Very disappointing to hear.

It is not an small indie game that otherwise would get no coverege.
It is a huge game of a huge ip with LOTS of fans that might not know how bad shit is otherwise. It is better to allow people make threads and educate people there, since people who are excited abou the game regardless will enter those threads and read at least the moderation warnings

Pargon

Oct 27, 2017
It is not an small indie game that otherwise would get no coverege.
It is a huge game of a huge ip with LOTS of fans that might not know how bad shit is otherwise. It is better to allow people make threads and educate people there, since people who are excited abou the game regardless will enter those threads and read at least the moderation warnings
I think it sends more of a message to disallow promotion of the game on this site, and explain to people why that is, than promote it with a staff message saying that it's okay for people to bring up her transphobia when talking about it.

Platy

Oct 25, 2017
Brazil
I think it sends more of a message to disallow promotion of the game on this site, and explain to people why that is, than promote it with a staff message saying that it's okay for people to bring up her transphobia when talking about it.

not allowing this game to be talked here just means people will get news about in other places, and most other places don't give a fuck about mentioning how shitty are her views

Christor

Oct 25, 2017

not allowing the game to be discussed is basically censorship and there are people who are excited for this game, like myself. Allowing the game to be talked about also allows people to know what's going on and make their own decisions. As long as things are civil between members, I think continuing to discuss about HP is still fine.

shes still crap though.

Pyccko

Oct 25, 2017
shit Tom Stoppard, what the hell is you doin baby? You can't write one of the greatest transformative works in human history and then turn around and be a certified dummy idiot like that man, that's not cool bro

Pargon

Oct 27, 2017
not allowing this game to be talked here just means people will get news about in other places, and most other places don't give a fuck about mentioning how shitty are her views
I do see your point, but based on the threads we've had so far, it seems that many people just don't care and only want to talk about their video game.
I think it says more when that discussion is not allowed. Not by simply locking all threads on the game, but having a thread discussing why that is which can be referenced each time - like this one, but perhaps more specific.

Last edited:

ZeoVGM

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Providence, RI
It's kind of fucked up that this thread was locked and with a generic moderation message. I think my explanation for having it be its own thread was quite valid.

www.resetera.com

Eddie Redmayne (cis actor who played trans character in 2015) says online 'vitriol' aimed at J.K. Rowling is 'absolutely disgusting'

Hopefully this thread is okay. While I know there is now a consolidated thread for news of J.K. Rowling's bigotry, I think it would be irresponsible to bury this story in there. This specific story is more about Eddie Redmayne than J.K. Rowling at this point, especially given his history...

A megathread makes sense for discussion about her tweeting out something bigoted every week.

The Redmayne story is about his defense of bigotry. Not Rowling's.

Allowing separate threads on her movies and video games but not allowing a separate thread for Redmayne's comments is misguided.

That1GoodHunter

My ass legally belongs to Ted Price
Oct 17, 2019
Eddie Red can choke for all I care. But if Stephen King turns out to be shitty on this issue, that would legit hurt my soul.

rsfour

Oct 26, 2017
Sounds like Redmayne can go fuck himself.

Every Potter topic, game, movie, whatever related content should always include how trash Rowling is in the title. And links to all the shit she has said and done in the first post, along with threadmarks.

Kinsei

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
People coming out in solidarity woth Rowling defintely deserve their own threads as it's about them being transphobic, not her.

ZeoVGM

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Providence, RI
Eddie Red can choke for all I care. But if Stephen King turns out to be shitty on this issue, that would legit hurt my soul.

www.usatoday.com

J.K. Rowling retracts tweet praising Stephen King after he supported transgender women

J.K. Rowling walked back praise for Stephen King after her fellow author spoke out against her recent anti-transgender comments.

Seems like King is good people.

J.K. Rowling walked back praise for Stephen King after her fellow author spoke out against her recent anti-transgender comments.

"Trans women are women," King tweeted Sunday, after a fan asked him to address "the TERF tweet," referencing Rowling's social media posts earlier this month, which many fans deemed transphobic.

Earlier that day, King retweeted one of Rowling's posts, which featured a quote about men reacting poorly when women speak out about their experiences. The "Harry Potter" writer had shared a long thread responding to those who criticized her for revealing she had been sexually assaulted in the past in a recent blog post, defending her stance that trans inclusive language is "hostile and alienating" to women.

After King's retweet, Rowling sang "The Shining" author's praises, then deleted the post once King clarified where he stood.

Lord Fanny

Banned
Apr 25, 2020

ZeoVGM

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Providence, RI
People coming out in solidarity woth Rowling defintely deserve their own threads as it's about them being transphobic, not her.

Thank you.

And to be clear, I don't think there's anything hateful about what the mods decided here. It's just misguided.

If Rowling does or says something transphobic, which is constant, I understand it being in a megathread as long as it is still allowed to be discussed in Potter threads (which it is).

But another known celebrity -- the face of a multi-million dollar franchise -- supporting her? That shouldn't be hidden deep in a megathread.

Last edited:

Keywork

Oct 25, 2017
I wish Eddie hadn't said those things as he is one of my favorite actors working today. I absolutely adored "The Theory of Everything". It hurts me to see all these people still supporting her or even "Both Sides"-ing the whole thing when there is clearly not a "Both Sides" to this issue. She is a hateful bigot who deserves to be dragged for what she said and now Eddie gets to be dragged as well because of his defense.

Midramble

Force of Habit
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
San Francisco
I'm a bit confused on why Eddie's stance doesn't constitute new news new thread. When actors or prominent people come out for or against a specific subject that was unknown about that person threads get made over that. I get a thread to collect the continuous spew from JK herself but Eddie backing her seems like a new thing worth discussing on its own no?

Last edited:

IzzyRX

Avenger
Oct 28, 2017
Well, I think if someone was still thinking about giving Beasts franchise a 'chance' after the whole Deep and JK debacle, I hope they won't now.
Bye Eddie.

The Emperor

Oct 25, 2017
Thank you.

And to be clear, I don't think there's anything hateful about what the mods decided here. It's just misguided.

If Rowling does or says something transphobic, which is constant, I understand it being in a megathread as long as it is still allowed to be discussed in Potter threads (which it is).

But another known celebrity -- the fact of a multi-million dollar franchise -- supporting her? That shouldn't be hidden deep in a megathread.
Completely agree with this!

Platy

Oct 25, 2017
Brazil
Yeah count me in the "redmayne news is not rowling news just because rowling name is there"

If you count that as "rowling related" than ... yeah, this is the thread about the harry potter game =P

Wanderer5

Prophet of Truth
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Somewhere.
I also agree that we shouldn't bury something like Eddie's stance on her into this thread. I thought the whole just posting it in this thread, was relating to whatever shit Rowling herself is doing.

But anyway, just sad regarding Eddie. As I said in the first locked thread, I became quite fond of Newt, in particular because he could possibly be on the autism spectrum, and Eddie felt like that was the case too. Whether Rowling meant that or not, I felt like there was enough to make it a headcanon at least, and it was nice for a time, but alas.

GuessMyUserName

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
Toronto
It never really felt right with me back when Hawking first slipped up praising Rowling that he didn't actually take that back. He responded to someone else saying trans women are women which is the absolute bare minimum, but he didn't take back his praise then nor respond more concretely about it (the way Mark Hamill directly apologized for misunderstanding). Coming back to the same thing now specifically to praise her new transphobic book is just a bigger red flag for me.

Really shitty to bury other people people coming out to support JKR's bigotry and that it has to be hidden away in the JKR thread. That's not a "known transphobe does another transphobic thing" thread.

EdibleKnife

Oct 29, 2017
"Vitriol in social media" is always such a bullshit whataboutism argument particularly in cases like these where marginalized groups like trans people not only get vitriol in social media but it's vitriol that's compounded by physical, social & political harassment and violence experienced by marginalized groups in real life, shit that a multimillionaire like Rowling is well and truly insulated from. If she or anyone else thinks their fucking Twitter blowing up with disgusting hate is the height of depravity they should take a look at something like the Unerased project and proceed to actually contextualize not just where they fucking stand in society & what marginalization & oppression truly looks like. Rowling doesn't "deserve" death threats or the like but trying to pretend she's recieving some equivalent harm to the people she's actively disenfranchising is the pinnacle of obliviousness. Fuck Eddie for that shit. Doubly pissed at his Danish Girl casting when this reveals how little empathy he has for trans people and his part in keeping them silenced & unseen. At the end of the day, if it meant not having to confront his personal complicity in keeping trans people disenfranchised or the complicity/active participation of his influential friends, he was always willing to throw trans people under the bus.

Last edited:

ZeoVGM

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Providence, RI
I also agree that we shouldn't bury something like Eddie's stance on her into this thread. I thought the whole just posting it in this thread, was relating to whatever shit Rowling herself is doing.

But anyway, just sad regarding Eddie. As I said in the first locked thread, I became quite fond of Newt, in particular because he could possibly be on the autism spectrum, and Eddie felt like that was the case too. Whether Rowling meant that or not, I felt like there was enough to make it a headcanon at least, and it was nice for a time, but alas.

Kind of wish we would get a mod response here that they are at least looking into how this thread works.

The story is buried in this thread and barely being noticed on Era because of it.

Nacho

Oct 25, 2017
NYC
www.usatoday.com

J.K. Rowling retracts tweet praising Stephen King after he supported transgender women

Seems like King is good people.
Welp. That's privilege. Being able to stand up and call someone out for bigotry but at the same time, hey that doesnt actually matter when i don't want to pay attention to it for other reasons. It doesn't affect me!

Aske

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Canadia
Kind of wish we would get a mod response here that they are at least looking into how this thread works.

The story is buried in this thread and barely being noticed on Era because of it.

Agreed.

And on top of that, I don't know why we aren't treating Rowling news like videogame news. New news of any kind gets a new thread, so that people who aren't engaged in the constant OT discussion about the game get to see it. I'm probably not going to check the Official J K Rowling Transphobia Megathread every time it gets bumped, but you'd better believe I'd read every new thread about a new instance of newsworthy Rowling TERFism that pops up in Etcetera. If nothing else, seeing how often those threads appear acts as a barometer for just how often she publically pushes her agenda; as well as the reactions of people like the cast of the movies to her statements.

Edit: Read up on it, and I now understand it's because seeing JKR news threads pop up is understandably triggering for some users. I think working on a pre-emptive ignore/hide feature would be a better way to go, because visible coverage of the TERFist culture war erupting around JKR in the UK is petty important news.

Last edited:

Famassu

Oct 27, 2017
So ResetERA is hiding JK Rowling's bigotry in a mega-thread that people can easily ignore but not disallowing HP threads. Come the fuck on. It isn't that hard. Take a fucking stand for once that isn't some easy niche target (i.e. pedo anime).

16bits

Apr 26, 2019
So ResetERA is hiding JK Rowling's bigotry in a mega-thread that people can easily ignore but not disallowing HP threads. Come the fuck on. It isn't that hard. Take a fucking stand for once that isn't some easy niche target (i.e. pedo anime).

if resetera isnt against it, its for it.

they are fine against the easy targets, but when it comes to a difficult decision, like banning the promotion of work by hateful bigots, pedophile showbiz stars like jackson, rapist sports stars etc nothing happens.

that list above is sickening.

Alexander Armstrong, Ben Miller? fuck them!

Deleted member 11413

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017

they are fine against the easy targets, but when it comes to a difficult decision, like banning the promotion of work by hateful bigots, pedophile showbiz stars like jackson, rapist sports stars etc nothing happens.

They did it because trans members told them it was triggering to constantly have new "JK Rowling is a TERF" threads on the front page. You can kindly stfu trying to use abused children as a cudgel against this forum after the absolute garbage you posted in the Shamima Begum thread though, you don't give one iota of a shit about victims so don't come in here pretending like you do.

beelulzebub

Oct 25, 2017
Well, this mega thread came to be because a lot of trans members on Era would rather have JK Rowling news consolidated in one place. Having a thread for every thing she says and does can make it distressing and exhausting if you're the target of her transphobia, and frankly it's difficult to justify making a thread about JK Rowling boosting a transphobic clothing line (which I think was the thread that led to this mega thread decision).

I agree though that news like Eddie Redmayne deserves its own thread. It's big news that got a lot more traction and attention in both the threads that were made on the subject.

Famassu

Oct 27, 2017
Well, this mega thread came to be because a lot of trans members on Era would rather have JK Rowling news consolidated in one place. Having a thread for every thing she says and does can make it distressing and exhausting if you're the target of her transphobia, and frankly it's difficult to justify making a thread about JK Rowling boosting a transphobic clothing line (which I think was the thread that led to this mega thread decision).

I agree though that news like Eddie Redmayne deserves its own thread. It's big news that got a lot more traction and attention in both the threads that were made on the subject.
I understand that maybe not every transphobic tweet needs its own separate thread, and we should be careful not to signal boost transphobic businesses like the clothing thing, but yeah, I'm not sure if all of it should be hidden here. Would it perhaps be a good idea that trans people should be the ones to make the decision whether something is new thread worthy or not? Post here first and if there seems to be a decently unified consensus that trans members feel like it should get larger attention, then post a new thread.

Still think all things Harry Potter should be thrown the fuck out of this forum, no ifs or buts.

Deleted member 2809

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017

look at the tory trying to give lessons

Status
Not open for further replies.