• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Fj0823

Legendary Duelist
Oct 25, 2017
Costa Rica
I'm kinda surprised Warner Bros are sticking with her through this. Obviously corporations are cowardly things and they've probably alway hoped this would blow over and we'd all "move on" to something else....but we're past that now and she's determined to double and triple down on this, with the fallout being you now have the main actor of the old series and the main actor of the new series both calling her out on this bigot bullshit.
I just don't see how they can keep her as the lead writer for these Fantastic Beast things. I would have expected them to launch her into space out the way, take full control of the franchise and mail her the owed checks.

I'm pretty sure WB was completely blindsided by this manifesto. And I agree, it's time for her to leave the franchise. We've taken franchises from their creators for much less

Deleted member 42055

User requested account closure
Banned
Apr 12, 2018
I just don't get it at all, why is this her hill to die on? During pride month no less you keep shitting all over one of the most persecuted, marginalized communities on the planet because…?

Wogan

Oct 28, 2017
I just went to the Rowling subreddit

25008303.gif

BDS

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
The THR article from earlier today states that Rowling has an ironclad contract for writing and producing the Fantastic Beasts movies. She cannot be removed unwillingly.

But even if she could be, you unfortunately overestimate the degree to which people care about trans people outside of leftist circles. WB and the Potter brand will suffer no meaningful financial loss from Rowling's statements.

sweetie

Alt account
Banned
May 19, 2020
The THR article from earlier today states that Rowling has an ironclad contract for writing and producing the Fantastic Beasts movies. She cannot be removed unwillingly.

But even if she could be, you unfortunately overestimate the degree to which people care about trans people outside of leftist circles. WB and the Potter brand will suffer no meaningful financial loss from Rowling's statements.
Yup, I unfortunately don't see the general public caring enough about trans people to stop supporting her and Harry Potter over this.

It's more likely that her shitty writing and additions to the universe is what turns people away from this franchise.

deepFlaw

Knights of Favonius World Tour '21
Oct 25, 2017
I'm pretty sure WB was completely blindsided by this manifesto. And I agree, it's time for her to leave the franchise. We've taken franchises from their creators for much less

They stuck with Depp for the sequel despite the accusations against him; it remains to be seen whether they stick with Ezra Miller after the stuff he did recently but it's probable. They could easily just do nothing if they can get her back to being quiet; I'm not sure how many people know this, but she was actually off Twitter entirely until the past few months. Given that her tweeting now is seemingly prompted by quarantining (which is to say: they totally do know what she's like and she was keeping quiet for business reasons prior to this), and the movie's filming has been delayed further than it already was by the same, I feel it's gonna be a matter of whether that movie is even real enough to need to quiet her vs it being so far out that they don't feel the need to try just yet. Of course, the mask removal to begin with, made far worse when it was followed by this, can't be walked back into silence as easily as anything prior.

Though there is also that they have a game they'll need to promote, one that they were probably banking on associating with Fantastic Beasts 3. And, hell, now that I think of it... the game could totally even have her name in its title, given that they probably can't use "Harry Potter" directly given its time setting (basically, if they think "JK Rowling's Wizarding World: SUBTITLE" would get more recognition than "Wizarding World: SUBTITLE").

Deleted member 46489

Banned
Aug 7, 2018
What. The. Fuck. I just found out about her manifesto, and in the first three paragraphs she's managed to insult and degrade trans men, trans women, trans activists, all afab people(by rooting their value as human beings to their fertility), people with autism, and more. She also thrown out a 'think of the children' argument, an argument about people transitioning due to homophobic bullying rather than genuine desire, and misgendered trans people left and right.

This is like a TERF bingo card.

Oh, and she defended Donald Trump. I wish I was kidding.

Deleted member 42055

Banned
Apr 12, 2018
Yup, I unfortunately don't see the general public caring enough about trans people to stop supporting her and Harry Potter over this.

It's more likely that her shitty writing and additions to the universe is what turns people away from this franchise.

I mean just look at some of the responses on this site. While I've been pleasantly surprised overall, it's clear that some people will never care.Gamers need their games or people are so wrapped up in defending Harry Potter that all they care about is anyone daring to besmirch it's quality.

Raijinto

self-requested ban
Banned
Oct 28, 2017
I could only make it about halfway into that article. I'm not trans, but I am a huge HP fan, and it breaks my heart to read that. I'd either scream or break down if forced to continue reading that. I feel for everyone here (or everywhere really) who is directly affected by this, y'all deserve so much better.

1000000000000000% this. Shaun vids did an excellent video extrapolating on this. Lots of cis women have 'concerns' that 'must be taken seriously' but they rarely, if ever, say what those are, because that's when they can suffer serious repercussions. Same thing with how white people had 'concerns' about non-whites being allowed into previously white only areas many decades ago, or how straight people had 'concerns' about sharing spaces with gay people. It's bigotry and hatred. Same things every time.

excelsiorlef

Bad Praxis
Oct 25, 2017
I'm reading it and she mentions these things she hears about but ever sources anything, really. You can't write some essay to defend your shit views and just conveniently avoid showing any sources.

OH MY GOD THEN SHE MENTIONS MAYBE IF SHE WERE BORN 30 YEARS LATER MAYBE SHE WOULD HAVE CONSIDERED TRANSITIONING. Jesus this isn't some thing that just started happening because younger generations decided it was a trend.

That's funny because she earlier claimed she's been supporting trans people for decades.... lol

Apollo

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Holy fucking shit at her essay or manifesto or w/e. So much viler, so much more insidious than I could have expected- and I expected some pretty vile garbage to begin with.

Raijinto

self-requested ban
Banned
Oct 28, 2017

Excellent and expected response from her. It's unfortunate that her and Dan do not go so far as to condemn Rowling as she ultimately deserves to be but that's also kinda expected but I'm not going to get too irritated by that as they're clearly good people who are absolutely right here.

excelsiorlef

Bad Praxis
Oct 25, 2017
I have to say Trans activism will destroy the ability to properly research Multiple Sclerosis is a new one

Famassu

Oct 27, 2017
People with Twitter accounts should mass report her hateful response. That isn't any kind of defendable POV but straight up hate speech & discrimination of a protected demographic

Mekanos

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 17, 2018
I'm kinda surprised Warner Bros are sticking with her through this. Obviously corporations are cowardly things and they've probably alway hoped this would blow over and we'd all "move on" to something else....but we're past that now and she's determined to double and triple down on this, with the fallout being you now have the main actor of the old series and the main actor of the new series both calling her out on this bigot bullshit.
I just don't see how they can keep her as the lead writer for these Fantastic Beast things. I would have expected them to launch her into space out the way, take full control of the franchise and mail her the owed checks.

Transphobia is still culturally accepted and not career ending by any means, certainly not in the UK.

Deleted member 4367

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I feel like her transphobia had a small amount of plausible deniability until this past week or two. You had to kind of dig a little because she mostly liked tweets that revealed her transphobia. So it makes some sense that she hasn't faced much mainstream backlash for her views until she made then explicit recently.

Deleted member 12352

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Jesus... she is seriously invested in her hatred of trans people, huh?

What kind of person looks at everything happening in the world right now and thinks "I should write an essay on why trans women are just men trying to sneak into our bathrooms."?

excelsiorlef

Bad Praxis
Oct 25, 2017
EaLqocKWAAA3ALt

This is literally super fucked up.

Supporting trans people is woke virtue signaling.
SO instead i'll say that women should be afraid of the trans movement and that the trans movement erodes women's biology and political reality and covers for predators....

She might as well just say the trans movement is a pro rape movement.... would explain why she thinks we're like incels and Donald Trump.

What a fucking fuck.

Btw her only trans friend is a older trans woman who identifies as a transsexual and JK believes her experience is the ideal one fro trans people because she had to go through hoop after hoop to get coverage and treament. Aka she likes gatekeeping, she wants more gatekeeping

One of the more stunning elements is how often JK dismisses suicide amongst trans people as something to be mocked.

Vibranium

Oct 28, 2017
Can't wait for the day different (non bigoted) writers other than Rowling get access to the HP universe. Yeah we're talking 30+ years but still.

WB really should step in but I doubt it.

excelsiorlef

Bad Praxis
Oct 25, 2017
Can't wait for the day different (non bigoted) writers other than Rowling get access to the HP universe. Yeah we're talking 30+ years but still.

The one time you wish the pablum corporate machine had bought full control of an author's original IP and it's the one time it can't happen :'(

Deleted member 14313

Banned
Oct 27, 2017

Copyright is life + 70 years in UK and US. So more like 100 years lol.

Edit: oh you mean WB employing other authors after her death? That wouldn't work for the publishers with the books though would it? I don't think they have sufficent rights.

Last edited:

excelsiorlef

Bad Praxis
Oct 25, 2017
Lost on this whole thing is not a single mention that increasing policing of bathroom access will actually put a huge number of gender non conforming cis women, especially a lot of the butch lesbians she claims to love so much, at increased risk of violence and abuse in women's washrooms because people will be empowered and encouraged to play "spot the trans" and ironically, given how JK seems to imply it's trans women who "reinforce feminine steretypes", this means women who don't conform to femininity will be targeted.

May 26, 2018
Lost on this whole thing is not a single mention that increasing policing of bathroom access will actually put a huge number of gender non conforming cis women, especially a lot of the butch lesbians she claims to love so much, at increased risk of violence and abuse in women's washrooms because people will be empowered and encouraged to play "spot the trans" and ironically, given how JK seems to imply it's trans women who "reinforce feminine steretypes", this means women who don't conform to femininity will be targeted.

Sounds just like religious extremism.

Striking how many people are okay with that as long as the extremism is shaped like themselves.

Inugami

Oct 25, 2017
I refuse to read the latest tripe she's spewed out of her mouth... I just don't understand hate like this, it's so much more work and it doesn't benefit anyone.

excelsiorlef

Bad Praxis
Oct 25, 2017
For a feminist who claims to be looking out for women she was really quick with associating bravery with manhood

Status
Not open for further replies.