• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Deleted member 3294

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I'm not going to read that. The reactions already tell me enough to know that reading it will achieve nothing except for make me mad. At this point I just wish she'd shut the fuck up.

16bits

Apr 26, 2019
So many logical fallacies and outright lies in that hateful "essay" from Rowling.

what an awful, irreparably hateful person she is.

Regulus Tera

Oct 25, 2017
EaKrYhrWoAE4AxQ

ah the good old "trans are rapists actually" argument

Deleted member 431

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Not surprised that a person who wrote a book series where everyone just tolerates and accepts a wizarding Nazi KKK (Slytherin) is a hateful bigot, but damn.

Palette Swap

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Incredible how she spent years keeping a low profile, entertaining plausible deniability at first before a low frequency pattern started forming, before going loud and proud TERF piece of shit.

Fuck off and cancel everything she did.

Oct 26, 2017
Genuine question: how do we cancel her ass? It feels like not much can be done with how massive Harry Potter is, but this is frustrating as hell.

Not surprised that a person who wrote a book series where everyone just tolerates and accepts a wizarding Nazi KKK (Slytherin) is a hateful bigot, but damn.
And Elves who love being slaves.

deepFlaw

Knights of Favonius World Tour '21
Oct 25, 2017
It is all extremely gross and patronizing shit, but this one particular bit hit me.

'Parents online were describing a very unusual pattern of transgender-identification where multiple friends and even entire friend groups became transgender-identified at the same time. I would have been remiss had I not considered social contagion and peer influences as potential factors.'

Littman mentioned Tumblr, Reddit, Instagram and YouTube as contributing factors to Rapid Onset Gender Dysphoria, where she believes that in the realm of transgender identification 'youth have created particularly insular echo chambers.'

yeah Jo I really wonder why people got angry about someone deciding that people learning that they could be trans, that it is a thing that even exists is a "social contagion"

Because that's what this is fucking describing. People learning that other people are like them, that there's words for it, that they're allowed to feel those things and that there can still be a happy future ahead of them. Of course people are going to feel a certain way about someone twisting that into a bad thing!

Oct 26, 2017
It is all extremely gross and patronizing shit, but this one particular bit hit me.

yeah Jo I really wonder why people got angry about someone deciding that people learning that they could be trans, that it is a thing that even exists is a "social contagion"

Because that's what this is fucking describing. People learning that other people are like them, that there's words for it, that they're allowed to feel those things and that there can still be a happy future ahead of them. Of course people are going to feel a certain way about someone twisting that into a bad thing!

This is "TheY'RE TURnin oUR kiDS GAY!!!!" BS except with trans people

deepFlaw

Knights of Favonius World Tour '21
Oct 25, 2017
EaKrYhrWoAE4AxQ

ah the good old "trans are rapists actually" argument

The other thing about the line of thought she goes down with these gender certificates is that it's even so fucking internally hypocritical. Going on about how risky it is that people be allowed to transition when they may regret it, but it's too late and they had it affect their fertility, etc. Except then apparently trans women are not allowed to avoid that while still figuring out if they want it either, they apparently have to immediately fully commit to hormones and get bottom surgery to be real women and not abusing the system.

Obviously it's inherently wrong anyway, but just putting that so directly close together makes my brain spin. Just such pathetic self-justifying garbage.

EDIT: Also, probably goes without saying, but it's not certainly not fucking like every trans person has easy access to HRT + surgery even if they want to get it.

Zellia

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
UK
I think my favourite part is actually when she implies that she went down the rabbit hole into TERFism because she 'accidentally' liked a TERF tweet and people called her out for it. She actually uses the term 'wrongthink' and if I wasn't so literally angry with rage I'd be laughing at how facile it all is.

Gleethor

Oct 25, 2017
Dot Matrix with stereo sound
The other thing about the line of thought she goes down with these gender certificates is that it's even so fucking internally hypocritical. Going on about how risky it is that people be allowed to transition when they may regret it, but it's too late and they had it affect their fertility, etc. Except then apparently trans women are not allowed to avoid that while still figuring out if they want it either, they apparently have to immediately fully commit to hormones and get bottom surgery to be real women and not abusing the system.

Obviously it's inherently wrong anyway, but just putting that so directly close together makes my brain spin. Just such pathetic self-justifying garbage.

EDIT: Also, probably goes without saying, but it's not certainly not fucking like every trans person has easy access to HRT + surgery even if they want to get it.
It also never occurs to her that many trans women might not have the means or access to get surgery or begin hormones. Probably because she's a billionaire

16bits

Apr 26, 2019
I am sick of celebrities also endorsing her by saying "she is entitled to her opinion"

well no, she is not entitled to be spewing venom thats nasty, hurtful and harmful thats all based around her own bigotry and bullshit.

janet street porter "she is a highly intelligent woman and entitled to her own opinion so surely it's live and let live"

another one for the stupid list

iiicon

Oct 25, 2017
Canada
It's remarkable how whenever I look in on her, she's somehow even more explicitly hateful than she was a week ago. Indefensible.

Aranath

Jan 15, 2018
Christ, she has every opportunity imaginable to educate herself and show just a single shred of empathy, but nope, she just gets worse and worse.

mbpm

Oct 25, 2017
Is anyone doing tear down videos for this shit

This is just really aggravating.

BDS

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Rowling herself is beyond help, so you should turn your focus towards the people being seduced by her writing. There are a lot of people out there who are marginally accepting of trans people but don't understand why Rowling's rhetoric is so dangerous and ignorant. Sit down with the people you know and explain why she is wrong.

III-V

Oct 25, 2017
I know transition will be a solution for some gender dysphoric people, although I'm also aware through extensive research that studies have consistently shown that between 60-90% of gender dysphoric teens will grow out of their dysphoria.

citation needed

16bits

Apr 26, 2019
Rowling herself is beyond help, so you should turn your focus towards the people being seduced by her writing. There are a lot of people out there who are marginally accepting of trans people but don't understand why Rowling's rhetoric is so dangerous and ignorant. Sit down with the people you know and explain why she is wrong.

rowling is so thick, stupid and hate filled there is no redeeming her.

however her reach and influence over people is so large that she and her platform needs to be neutralised

OP
OP
It’s Time To Go
Dec 2, 2017
Like a lot of people, Harry Potter was such an important of me growing up, and as you can tell from my username, I even liked the detective novels she wrote. Now that she's beyond the hope of redemption, it pains me. The relevant part of this of course, is her poisonous beliefs and how she's hurting and damaging trans people, but I can't help but feel sad about this.

Mekanos

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 17, 2018
Genuine question: how do we cancel her ass? It feels like not much can be done with how massive Harry Potter is, but this is frustrating as hell.

There isn't really anything you can do besides not buy her stuff anymore. Harry Potter is one of the most popular media franchises in the world and transphobia is not a career-ending stance sadly, especially in the UK.

Alavard

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Wow, the veneer has been completely erased. All that pretext of "I support trans people" and "I would march with you" is completely gone now.

And she completely disabled comments. What a fucking coward.

Actually even this shit slop is still not as bad as what she truly believes.

Parker's entire thread is gold (as always), but this tweet highlights how Rowling is flat out lying about some of the remarks she supported:

Woetyler

Oct 27, 2017
User Banned (2 Months): Trolling and inappropriate commentary in a sensitive thread
These acronyms are getting out of hand

Oct 27, 2017
I don't even know what "TERF" means, but JK Rowling should just delete her Twitter account already. I'm a huge HP fan, and it's sad to see the author of one of my favorite universes be so ... hateful.

Everything I've read seems very hurtful and ignorant towards minority groups, including her own fans. All she has accomplished is the damaging of her own reputation, one Tweet at a time. I'll continue reading her books and watching the movies based on her writing, because it's not hard to separate the "art from the artist", but she is most likely, for the lack of a better word, "cancelled".

Last edited:

sweetie

Alt account
Banned
May 19, 2020
Holy hell, she doubled down HARD. My reaction to that entire thing reminds me of Hermione's reaction to Umbridge's speech in Order of the Phoenix. JK Rowling is Umbridge, except Umbridge used "protect the students!!!" to disguise her interfering education, JK's using "protect the women!!!" to disguise her transphobia.

Did she even address any points people have made to her? You would think the only response she's been getting are threats and insults from reading that essay.

Also, for an essay that constantly refers to studies, there's a glaring lack of citations?

Vector

Feb 28, 2018
She's fucking trash and I already disassociated her from the HP universe because I don't wanna give up on it.

I love Daniel Radcliffe's Harry Potter series :3

Status
Not open for further replies.