• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Dec 2, 2017
Official Staff Communication
Members have been asking for a single thread about JK Rowling that can serve as a comprehensive resource about her transphobic bigotry – many are already using this thread for that purpose, so we're going to make it official:

News about JK Rowling herself or any updates about the awful things she says and does should be posted in this thread and should not receive separate threads.

Threads with significant news about Harry Potter or related media can still be made separately, and JK Rowling's transphobic bigotry can (and should) still be discussed in those threads. This thread can be linked there as a resource.

If there are any posts with articles or news that you believe should be Threadmarked, report the post so that staff can take a look.

If you would like to create a new OP for this thread and take ownership of the thread (including the power to add Threadmarks) reach out to a staff member and let us know.

Trolling of any kind will not be tolerated in this thread. Report any violators.

Any attempts to downplay or dismiss the concerns members have about JK Rowling's bigotry will be banned. Additionally, low effort drive-by posts that add nothing to the conversation will be scrutinized and may be banned. If staff have reason to believe that you're just here to stir the pot, you will be removed from this thread and/or the site itself.

nasty TERF

Kyuuji has done a fantastic job of compiling the worst of the awful transphobic stuff Rowling has done and said into a list, which will be in the OP as a helpful resource in case anyone tries to defend her in the future

This is a reminder that JK Rowling is someone who:
Rowling is actively and demonstrably destructive to trans lives, especially that of children and those in the UK. The wave of transphobia she ignited and continues to drive has led to legislation being scrapped, rights being removed, career paths denied, children's charities closing services, proposed bans on torture reversed and hate crimes against trans people reaching record highs.

Last edited:

Raijinto

self-requested ban
Banned
Oct 28, 2017
"I know and love trans people, but-"

Why Joan. Just stop. Why didn't you just stop there and hit backspace a million times...

Aureon

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
It's really impressive how TERFs always act like they have the moral high ground and giving people rights and recognition will take away theirs

Reminds me of something.

Veldin

Oct 25, 2017
I genuinely don't know what she's talking about and she obviously doesn't either.

Temascos

Oct 27, 2017
"It isn't hate to speak the truth"

That's why you're not speaking the truth JK, you're lying your ass off in order to hurt Trans people.

JK Rowling is a horrible person. It isn't hate to speak the truth.

sphagnum

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Nobody said sex and gender aren't "real", it's just that they're more complex than a binary.

kcp12304

Oct 27, 2017
Why do some these Brits have such a stick up their asses about trans folk. Did they run over your dog? Leave them the fuck alone.

Jonnax

Oct 26, 2017
Harry Potter was such as big part of my childhood.
But she's such a sack of shit.

The Fantastic beasts are bad.
And there's plenty of fucked up things there

excelsiorlef

Bad Praxis
Oct 25, 2017
At least she;s finally putting this shit on the main instead of liking in the shadows like a a fucking coward

GSR

Oct 25, 2017
Was in the middle of typing up a thread on this.

If you're not aware, J.K. has a long history at this point of TERF rhetoric, and this latest barrage is particularly vile between her smugness in the first tweet and her attempt to imply talking about the realities of transness is somehow an attack against homosexuality and women.

This comes on the heels of her last week accidentally copy-pasting a sentence from a TERF website misgendering someone into her QRT of a child's fanart of her new "political fairy tale":

Oct 25, 2017
It's weird, she never used to be this blatant. I guess when she got exposed she just let her thoughts loose and became twitter's once beloved nutcase old lady. Its sad seeing authors you like just go full..."boomer"

TheRuralJuror

Oct 25, 2017
What the hell is her deal? I don't see why she even had to comment. Least people can see her for what she is.

BAD

Oct 25, 2017
USA
What a clown. Don't pretend you know trans people and then go to twitter with terf answers instead of asking trans people about this.

Wallace Wells

May 24, 2019
she really has come into her own in being a loud, dumb asshole lately huh
She's been an asshole for a long time, she's just tried to hide it but has decided for her TERF mask to come off for everyone to see.

I refuse to give the Harry Potter and it's spinoffs any more of my time or money. She doesn't not deserve to profit off of us when she's a transphobic piece of shit

Poppy

Oct 25, 2017
richmond, va
She's been an asshole for a long time, she's just tried to hide it but has decided for her TERF mask to come off for everyone to see.

I refuse to give the Harry Potter and it's spinoffs any more of my time or money. She doesn't not deserve to profit off of us when she's a transphobic piece of shit
yeah, before it always felt like something that bad faith people could wave off easily enough, now she's just blatant

RellikSK

Nov 1, 2017
Lets replace trans people with any other minority and wonder how the sentence would sound.
I love black people but .....
I love the Jews but ....
I love the gays but .....

Aureon

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
It's weird, she never used to be this blatant. I guess when she got exposed she just let her thoughts loose and became twitter's once beloved nutcase old lady. Its sad seeing authors you like just go full..."boomer"

I'm just glad Terry Pratchett was a class act to the end.

And honestly, nobody told these guys they HAVE to have a public opinion on social progress matters
If you don't know what you're talking about, and you don't wanna know, just shut the fuck up

GSR

Oct 25, 2017
So do we take the Minecraft approach to Harry Potter?

I know this is a funny joke and all, but there's something to be said for dealing with the reality of this, especially because the Harry Potter series already has Rowling's politics all over it. There is much to love in Harry Potter, and its value is not entirely erased by Rowling's views, but it's also taking the easy way out to just say "oh well forget about the terrible author."

(I strongly recommend listening to The Shrieking Shack, which goes into Rowling's TERFness and other issues and explains the above viewpoint much better than I can)

Bobbetybob

Nov 11, 2017
She must have already have sex and gender explained to her a thousand times and she still chooses to ignore the difference and rant about things nobody is trying to "take away" from her. Idiot.

Emmaginary

Self-requested ban
Aug 13, 2019
Why do some these Brits have such a stick up their asses about trans folk. Did they run over your dog? Leave them the fuck alone.

Brexit is done (in the sense that it is inevitably going to happen now).

Bored, privileged, cis het, white people need a new existential threat to imagine and people to stomp on to distract them from the empty void of their own existences.

Gustaf

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
so her fear is that trans people will have so many rights that the term "woman" will dissappear?

hjort

Nov 9, 2017
So, she's finally come out openly as a hateful sack of shit. Now I'm just curious to know if she's being just being ignorant or dishonest with those shitty attempts at arguments of hers.

What is it with the British isles and transphobia these days anyway? Glinner, Rowling, Gervais and whoever else. Fuck's wrong with them?

Zellia

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
UK
Literally 'I have trans friends, lmao'. Get fucked.

yeah, before it always felt like something that bad faith people could wave off easily enough, now she's just blatant
For the longest time she didn't directly comment, but just had a pattern of following TERF accounts and liking TERF tweets. This was tiresome because it gave her plausible deniability and let people defend her every single fucking time she just 'accidentally' happened to follow yet another transphobic account, or like another 'gender critical' tweet.

Then came the court case here in the UK in which a TERF tried and failed to sue her employer for canning her because of her transphobia. That's when the mask came off fully.

Status
Not open for further replies.