• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Dancrane212

Oct 25, 2017
*See Threadmarks for updates*
ezgif-3-356227f23344.gif

Original post:

So due to some trees, Kumo's development has halted and may end up having to fight some legal actions over
@TequilaWorks
claiming that I have stolen assets from their game
@RiMEGame

After nearly 3 years of development and 10 years in the industry I have NEVER been so insulted!

This was very bizzare to see pop up in my feed.

KUMO:
Cjwtino.png

Rime:
6NV9rHf.png

Last edited:

Deleted member 16908

Oct 27, 2017
They very clearly aren't the same trees.

ILikeFeet

DF Deet Master
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I can easily find a tutorial on how to make a tree like that. Tequila trippin

EDIT: hello people from Daniel Ibbertson's video

Last edited:

Dice

Oct 25, 2017
Canada
Huh. Trees.

They don't look too alike, both kinda odd and fluffy and triggy..but different.

I also love it when folks say the line: "I have NEVER been so insulted!" -- feels so Victorian.
tumblr_o7ee4xIyQJ1tuwaido4_r1_250.gifv

Farrac

Nov 3, 2017
Alcalá de Henares, Spain
I made a tree just like that in Dreams yesterday. And I am terrible at it.

I also made a pink one that glows in the dark when pressing a switch. And a baobab.

...Anyway, point is: this seems incredibly silly, unless I'm missing something.

Protome

Oct 27, 2017
Did that Stadia exclusive money dry up so quickly that they need to resort to frivolous lawsuits?

Temperance

Oct 25, 2017
[NO 2FA]
Guys they both obviously have leaves on the trees, i wouldn't be surprised if Tequila has a copyright on such an invention.

Evolved1

Oct 27, 2017
Is it a technology thing? Because those are different trees as far as design and art.

Kaiken

Oct 25, 2017
Well, Tequila Works is using the resemblance of my grass in my yard. Time to lawyer up.

FrakEarth

Oct 25, 2017
Liverpool, UK
I'd be curious to know why they think theyve been lifted.. maybe they got hold of the models and compared the topology or algorithm that's defining or shading them?

I personally think it's small potatoes. Their game shipped a long time ago. If this new one is inspired by their work, imitation is the sincerest form of flattery. Nothing is 100% original.

Timeaisis

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Austin, TX
They are just some fuckin trees, who gives a shit. I mean sure, if you can prove they literally stole the assets, it's grounds. But like...they look similar so they are starting some shit for the sake of starting shit???

Damn Silly

Oct 25, 2017
Man, I'd have to guess that it would like the very base leaf asset or something because those trees do not look similar otherwise.

low-G

Oct 25, 2017
Sounds like they want to bully a smaller dev so their game can't complete with their own.

Dekuman

Oct 27, 2017
Yeah it's unfortunate. Dev was very open about the game on /r/NintendoSwitch and promised it would run well on Switch.

Maybe RIME devs got salty over that

Bradbatross

Mar 17, 2018
Even if they were the same trees... Who cares? It's one guy making this game and the trees don't even look the same.

Deleted member 21709

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Hey Tequila Works.. being a bit hypocritical are we? Team ICO is calling.

This reminds me of the Mitchell Corporation/PopCap story - where PopCap rips off Mitchell, and then threatened legal action against other companies ripping off their games.

When a developer at a Sony studio starts looking at the trees that are in games made by other Sony studios.

tumblr_plq72oyA1x1tdnond_400.jpg

Sony bought Tequila Works? Not a good look.

Kamaros

Aug 29, 2018
i hope they reverse the action and Tequila pays for their fucking embarrassment.

EDIT> i jumped the gun w/o proper evidence, i stand corrected and i take that back.

Last edited:

C.Mongler

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
Washington, DC
This hardly seems like a hill worth dying on unless a) you can showcase how they are undeniably the exact same asset in side-by-side comparisons or b) similarly, you can outright prove they were ripped/stolen.

And even then, this seems like an extremely inconsequential thing to care about. No one is picking this shit up because it says "Featuring the trees from Rime" on the box. No one is going to not buy Rime because Kumo utilized the trees better. Just seems fuckin' weird.