• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Deleted member 67920

alt account
Banned
May 1, 2020
tumblr_m290phEADh1qcmptjo1_r2_500.gifv

AuthenticM

Son Altesse Sérénissime
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Weren't these people (Tequila) already involved in shady legal stuff some years back?

Deleted member 2254

user requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
There was a lot of conjecture around Tequila after the Sony split and with the DRM talk on Rime. I'll reserve judgement for now.

effin

Jan 20, 2019
How silly. I mean, after digging through screenshots it seems clear Kumo is definitely taking artistic cues from RiMe - but to threaten legal action over something like this when its clearly a different asset. Ridiculous.

Sparks

Senior Games Artist
Verified
Dec 10, 2018
Los Angeles
The fuck is this.

Even if they were stolen directly, who gives a shit they are mediocre trees. Take it as a compliment and move on. This is what artists do, you share and inspire, you got to get used to it. Unless they are directly ripping off unique assets.

Stalker

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
The fuck is this.

Even if they were stolen directly, who gives a shit they are mediocre trees. Take it as a compliment and move on. This is what artists do, you share and inspire, you got to get used to it. Unless they are directly ripping off unique assets.
This is also my take, Art inspires art and being fastidious about sharing and growing a medium is always a bad thing.

I wonder what are the odds that both of them used Speedtree to make them.
Stupid High

Dark Ninja

Oct 27, 2017
The fuck is this.

Stealing assets directly is an issue due to how expensive they are for companies. Ive seen environment assets cost up to $20,000 in outsourcing for 1 hero prop. Not saying these trees cost that but no I don't think directly ripping stuff directly no matter what the quality then selling a product made with them is/should be legal. There is nothing wrong though by being inspired by different art and games though. Go nuts with that. This instance is definitely using the same tool defaults/nodes(Speedtree) and similar artstyle. Large companies always protect themselves by having every asset go through the legal team for various reasons.

Meelow

Oct 31, 2017
It is if you think all those trees look the same. I laughed for a different reason: remember what the previous gen's abiding complaint was? Bald space marines and... Everything is brown.

No not at the trees, just that so much of Sony's first party games have all modeled into the same style (and I have all PlayStation consoles so this isn't bias or anything).

BradGrenz

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I suspect the claim that this is just about trees is probably a misrepresentation of whatever complaint the Kumo devs received.

wideface

▲ Legend ▲
Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Hidamari Apartments
what is your point here exactly ? Taking inspiration ain't ground for a lawsuit (not that Rime was that original to begin with) and frankly it's disgusting for a bigger studio to go after a single indie dev working on his project.

Also seems like Tequila Works "won", fucking assholes

No point. I'm not taking sides. Just pointing out that this might indeed go beyond just the trees.
Personally, don't really care for Tequila's games.

Adulfzen

Oct 29, 2017
No point. I'm not taking sides. Just pointing out that this might indeed go beyond just the trees.
Personally, don't really care for Tequila's games.
I mean unless he directly uses any assets (music, sounds, 3d models, textures...) from Rime, there are no grounds for a lawsuit. That's also why you get ton of clones on the phone markets because it's still legal regardless of how close it comes to the original games.

wideface

▲ Legend ▲
Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Hidamari Apartments
then why bring it up? do you think this lawsuit is justified?
I bring it up because so far we have seen images comparing only trees and I don't think "Tequila gets angry because trees" is a very fair thing to say.
I also don't think the lawsuit is justified, no, but then I'm not Tequila Works. Again, never even played a game made by them, and fuck them for bullying a smaller dev like that.

LiquidSolid

Oct 26, 2017
This is bizarre. Is Rime even a game you'd want to clone? It's a decent 7/10 game that desperately wishes it was Ico or Journey but never comes remotely close to those kind of heights.

Moogle

Top Mog
Oct 27, 2017
Bold move. Rime has no identity of it's own, it's a Ueda homage product at every turn.

NO!R

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
If people are gonna start suing over towers Ubisoft gonna start sweating

Nevermind the lawsuit, this shit is a blatant ripoff.
At least aesthetically.

Similarly styled cartoon graphics, lush greenery juxtaposed with stone formations and ruins (worse if it's also set on an island), red caped child protagonist, looking over at a monolithic point of interest.

I mean, it's shameless.

I dunno about suing but come on lol