• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Acheteedo

Oct 27, 2017
ezgif-3-356227f23344.gif

I downloaded the demo and although its hard to get the perfect angle it became fairly clear very quickly that it is the exact same model just retextured, starting to think TW had a good reason for requesting he change his models

Fucking TWIST. This thread is a roller coaster.

kami_sama

Oct 26, 2017
Well damn, he stole fucking trees!
I really think he manufactured drama to get a "get out of jail" card from the project.

Bradford

terminus est
Aug 12, 2018
Well, this was pretty clear cut from the start, and it turned out exactly like expected lol.

Black_Stride

Avenger
Oct 28, 2017
Okay so if this guy did steal the trees....how

The if is pretty much out of the question at this point, if he didnt outright steal the model, then he looked at it and recreated it basically poly accurately.
TW actions before he went and made it a big deal were correct.
When he made it a big deal, their response was again correct.
Most of this thread....shit.
Claiming stress to stop production and never have to deliver on the money he was given....shaddy as shit.

As for how to steal trees:
Kumo and Rime are both Unreal Engine games with not too too much custom work.
Extracting stuff from Unreal Engine isnt very hard.

Blizz

Oct 25, 2017
Best post in this thread. Yikeeeees! Hes a tree stealer.

why are there so many people defending him? it seems clear he stole assets for his for-profit game, and the devs ask them to be removed, which they have every right to.

It seems like a lot of you were really easily manipulated
Cause it's not the first time a bigger fish would try to fuck over a smaller fish, and it's not like Tequila Works has had the best of statements before, they're right on this one though apparently, it's not really anyone's fault here they didn't present a stronger public case.

youngsylt

Oct 29, 2017
Germany
Oh man, shows again that we should wait with sentencing people until we know all the facts. I too was in favor of the KUMO guy when i first read the Tweets... Don't steal art!

NightShift

Oct 25, 2017
Australia
I still think its shitty for a company to threaten legal action against a single person from the get go but at least they have a case I guess.

Just don't steal assets. You can buy plenty of them and sure, using public assets is shameful, but no where near as shameful as this fucking shit.

kami_sama

Oct 26, 2017
I still think its shitty for a company to threaten legal action against a single person from the get go but at least they have a case I guess.

Just don't steal assets. You can buy plenty of them and sure, using public assets is shameful, but no where near as shameful as this fucking shit.
That's the thing, they didn't threaten anyone with legal action. They saw the trees were the same and contacted the dev for them to be changed, that's it.
At least going by Tequila's words, but considering the other party, I'm inclined to believe it.

Joni

Oct 27, 2017
Oh wow, amazing story. Can go down into the Kickscammer hall of fame. Poor Tequila Works though, that they have to waste time on stuff like this.

Noodle

Banned
Aug 22, 2018
I'll see if I can rip the models from both after work to do a poly-by-poly comparison. Anyone who wants to get there before me can use uModel to access the files.

NightShift

Oct 25, 2017
Australia
That's the thing, they didn't threaten anyone with legal action. They saw the trees were the same and contacted the dev for them to be changed, that's it.
At least going by Tequila's words, but considering the other party, I'm inclined to believe it.
Oh, yeah. I forgot I missed the initial tweet. The first thing I saw was the Kumo dev's post so I assumed that's what Tequila did. Maybe that's not very trust worthy now.

Black_Stride

Avenger
Oct 28, 2017
Not a great look for Tequila, honestly.
RiME was fucking garbage anyway. Not a good look.
Gross, they truly didn't need to do something like that. Especially for a game like RIME which is far from original on the art style front.
How silly. I mean, after digging through screenshots it seems clear Kumo is definitely taking artistic cues from RiMe - but to threaten legal action over something like this when its clearly a different asset. Ridiculous.
Tequila being again the shame of spanish videogame industry.
tumblr_oi5hd57TqB1qgf1i8o1_500.gif

Cause it's not the first time a bigger fish would try to fuck over a smaller fish, and it's not like Tequila Works has had the best of statements before, they're right on this one though apparently, it's not really anyone's fault here they didn't present a stronger public case.

Public case?
Kumo.Dev wanted this public so that when they pulled the plug they were already planning on pulling they had an excuse.

TW was doing this silently behind closed doors, they didnt even involve lawyers, they just asked directly, "If you used our trees please get them out", Kumo.Dev goes on to make a public big deal about it, then claims the big deal they just created is a reason they are taking a hiatus for however long it takes for people to forget they already paid money for this.

Shady from top to bottom man.

GMM

Oct 27, 2017
This...idk for me this doesn't help at all?

"We're not taking legal action, we're just asking them to remove stuff."

Notice how they tip toe around "threatening" legal action.

We already know they haven't taken legal action. That seems odd.

We don't know the exact wording that Tequila Works used when they contacted the KUMO developer about the very similar trees, it's however pretty likely that they made it clear that not responding to their request could force them to look in to taking legal action.

Most likely their request was something similar to this:

Hello fellow developer,

We have noticed that some assets in your upcoming video game, KUMO, bares a striking resemblance to those found in our game Rime. Specifically we are taking about the geometry for some trees in the game looking the same and we would like you to remove these assets or provide proof of you having ownership to these assets.

Its important that we resolve this issue as we wish to protect our intellectual property, failing to comply could lead us to take legal action.

Tequila Works

It's not super uncommon for this to happen as it's not in the best interest for everyone to directly pursue legal action straight away and TW seems to have a case here since the assets are very similar in comparison, if anything TW chose the right approach with what is publicly known as of now.

Chettlar

Oct 25, 2017
The if is pretty much out of the question at this point, if he didnt outright steal the model, then he looked at it and recreated it basically poly accurately.
TW actions before he went and made it a big deal were correct.
When he made it a big deal, their response was again correct.
Most of this thread....shit.
Claiming stress to stop production and never have to deliver on the money he was given....shaddy as shit.

As for how to steal trees:
Kumo and Rime are both Unreal Engine games with not too too much custom work.
Extracting stuff from Unreal Engine isnt very hard.

Oh no I wasn't saying if as in maybe it wasn't the same tree. I only mean like, I don't know if the tree was pulled from somewhere like an asset store or maybe it's pulled from a tree generator with a not so random algorithm.

But you're right it looks like its a model Tequila themselves made.

Also thanks for the answer. Didn't realize it'd be that straight forward. Genuinely crazy if the Kumo guy was trying to do this he wouldn't try to modify the trees. I mean clearly he has resources for getting things modeled.

We don't know the exact wording that Tequila Works used when they contacted the KUMO developer about the very similar trees, it's however pretty likely that they made it clear that not responding to their request could force them to look in to taking legal action.

Most likely their request was something similar to this:

It's not super uncommon for this to happen as it's not in the best interest for everyone to directly pursue legal action straight away and TW seems to have a case here since the assets are very similar in comparison, if anything TW chose the right approach with what is publicly known as of now.

Gotcha. That makes total sense thanks.

Lukemia SL

Jan 30, 2018
www.resetera.com

Games with ripped/stolen assets

Let's get the most well known one out of the way first. Limbo of the Lost was a notorious point & click adventure coming out of development hell in 2008 shortly before the genre's resurgence in the market. The internet wasted no time in absolutely tearing this game apart and finding out all the...

Someone add it to this thread.

Chettlar

Oct 25, 2017
I mean TW did hand out some stuff for educational use, I downloaded their water shader to learn from it. Or you can rip models directly from games 🤔

oooooh interesting. I wonder where if the educational stuff might have included this tree and that's kind of where this started?

But yeah since I didn't realizing ripping models was so easy, that makes sense.

Black_Stride

Avenger
Oct 28, 2017
Oh no I wasn't saying if as in maybe it wasn't the same tree. I only mean like, I don't know if the tree was pulled from somewhere like an asset store or maybe it's pulled from a tree generator with a not so random algorithm.

But you're right it looks like its a model Tequila themselves made.

Also thanks for the answer. Didn't realize it'd be that straight forward. Genuinely crazy if the Kumo guy was trying to do this he wouldn't try to modify the trees. I mean clearly he has resources for getting things modeled.

This is why I think its super super shady whats going on.
Even a one man team with little to no resources could spend minutes ripping and modifying a model as simple as a tree to atleast make it seem like "inspiration". Pull it into Studio Max and apply an FFD to it you could make it look different.
But this looks like a direct rip, the model is already UV unwrapped and prepped for the Engine they are both using, so an easy retexture and reinject the model into the engine.

It super shady, because Unreal Engine subscribers have access to a vast vast library of models for free, he legit could have just gotten one of those models and retextured it.....but im guessing RIME and KUMO share an artstyle so a model from RIME would fit in better.

So dirty, Backers have already paid and he gonna use this as an excuse to delay indefinitely.
Such a blemish on gamedev honestly.

Ill take the L if he did indeed make his own model and it coincidentally looks exactly the same.......but its a frikken tree.

Chettlar

Oct 25, 2017
This is why I think its super super shady whats going on.
Even a one man team with little to no resources could spend minutes ripping and modifying a model as simple as a tree to atleast make it seem like "inspiration". Pull it into Studio Max and apply an FFD to it you could make it look different.
But this looks like a direct rip, the model is already UV unwrapped and prepped for the Engine they are both using, so an easy retexture and reinject the model into the engine.

It super shady, because Unreal Engine subscribers have access to a vast vast library of models for free, he legit could have just gotten one of those models and retextured it.....but im guessing RIME and KUMO share an artstyle so a model from RIME would fit in better.

So dirty, Backers have already paid and he gonna use this as an excuse to delay indefinitely.
Such a blemish on gamedev honestly.

Ill take the L if he did indeed make his own model and it coincidentally looks exactly the same.......but its a frikken tree.

Well I think he probably at this point did not make his own model. Although apparently someone just mentioned Tequila did some educational stuff? Maybe he got it from there?

Deleted member 23046

Account closed at user request
Banned
Oct 28, 2017
It's not a absolute truth but in general, when justice is engaged or lawyers in discussions, both side tend to stay silent, because it's easy to fill a case against any sort of public babbling when a legal procedure is on the grill (depends on countries but it turns around "attempt to moral integrity", "defamation" etc.).

EJS

The Fallen
The Fallen
Oct 31, 2017
Curious, how much money has the guy received from Kickstarter? Does he need to give it back?

GrrImAFridge

ONE THOUSAND DOLLARYDOOS
Oct 25, 2017
Western Australia
Curious, how much money has the guy received from Kickstarter? Does he need to give it back?

As far as Kickstarter is concerned, its involvement with projects begins and ends with the crowdfunding campaign itself. If the Kumo dev uses this situation as an excuse to cancel or otherwise indefinitely delay the game, the only recourse backers will have is to take legal action, which, for obvious reasons, almost never happens.

Last edited:

TheModestGun

Banned
Dec 5, 2017
Is Tequila Works in a bad way or something? Seems like a pretty ridiculous lawsuit that won't pass muster. Especially something as generic as a cartoon tree. Unless there's proof that they straight up we're ripping assets right out of Rime. Which if that's the case is an issue, but seems like it would be hard to prove unless the assets are literally 1:1.

EJS

The Fallen
The Fallen
Oct 31, 2017
As far as Kickstarter is concerned, its involvement with projects begins and ends with the crowdfunding campaign itself. If the Kumo dev uses this situation as an excuse to cancel or otherwise indefinitely delay the game, the only recourse backers have is to take legal action, which, for obvious reasons, almost never happens.
Damn, well as others mentioned, my guess is he didn't want to work on it anymore anyway.

Azaan60

Mar 18, 2020
tumblr_oi5hd57TqB1qgf1i8o1_500.gif

Public case?
Kumo.Dev wanted this public so that when they pulled the plug they were already planning on pulling they had an excuse.

TW was doing this silently behind closed doors, they didnt even involve lawyers, they just asked directly, "If you used our trees please get them out", Kumo.Dev goes on to make a public big deal about it, then claims the big deal they just created is a reason they are taking a hiatus for however long it takes for people to forget they already paid money for this.

Shady from top to bottom man.

I still stand with what I said.

RiME is fucking garbage.

Zelas

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Wait a minute, people didnt think they were the same from the image in OP alone??!!

Nov 2, 2017
Shibuya
Is Tequila Works in a bad way or something? Seems like a pretty ridiculous lawsuit that won't pass muster. Especially something as generic as a cartoon tree. Unless there's proof that they straight up we're ripping assets right out of Rime. Which if that's the case is an issue, but seems like it would be hard to prove unless the assets are literally 1:1.
you should read the thread

Oct 25, 2017
Like it's one thing to want to extend faith to the smaller entity in a situation like this but don't do it in the most boneheaded, uncritical way possible.