• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

miserable

Oct 27, 2017
phew, glad Rafa made it through. tough match.

in other news, Federer and Nadal will play two exhibition matches for charity in Cape Town next year. one will be a singles match and the other a doubles where Federer will team with Bill Gates and Nadal with south african comedian Trevor Noah.

OP
OP
perfectchaos007

perfectchaos007

It's Happening
Oct 25, 2017
Texas
A lot of people apparently take issue with Gauff getting a center court match against Hercog. I kinda agree that it's strange for a couple of unseeded players to get center court in the 3rd round, but at the same time Gauff is one of the bigger stories of the tournament being only 15, and Wimbledon can kinda take credit for her, since they gave her that qualifying wildcard. I don't think they'll have problems filling seats for that match

miserable

Oct 27, 2017
A lot of people apparently take issue with Gauff getting a center court match against Hercog. I kinda agree that it's strange for a couple of unseeded players to get center court in the 3rd round, but at the same time Gauff is one of the bigger stories of the tournament being only 15, and Wimbledon can kinda take credit for her, since they gave her that qualifying wildcard. I don't think they'll have problems filling seats for that match
Everybody wants to attach themselves to the "next big thing". See Mouratoglou.

Deleted member 43657

User requested account closure
Banned
May 19, 2018
I am shocked at how brazen Kyrgios was during that press conference. He blatantly admitted he was trying to hurt Rafa.

Am I crazy? Shouldn't this guy be removed from the ATP?

AoM

Oct 31, 2017
I am shocked at how brazen Kyrgios was during that press conference. He blatantly admitted he was trying to hurt Rafa.

Am I crazy? Shouldn't this guy be removed from the ATP?
Can't believe people are still defending the guy. It was amusing at first, but these antics have only increased as the years go by, and people keep saying, "He'll get his act together one of these days."

Yeah. Sure.

Deleted member 43657

Banned
May 19, 2018
Can't believe people are still defending the guy. It was amusing at first, but these antics have only increased as the years go by, and people keep saying, "He'll get his act together one of these days."

Yeah. Sure.
Yes. I would imagine that any person who willfully intends harm upon another person should rightfully lose their job.

I'm just so shocked there has been no consequence thus far. I'm hoping we hear something soon. If I were scheduled to play him, I'd consider withdrawing.

Deleted member 20284

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
You're taking hitting the ball at your opponent too literally. He's not doing it out of malice but a usual tactic in tennis. A hard fast ball straight at your close opponent is very difficult to return as it leaves no time to position your racquet and jams you up. It also reduces angles and hitting the ball out if you were to go for a lower percentage shot to the sides. Nadal and any other player is quite capable and well placed within the rules for this sort of play.

I'm no kyrgios fanboy but he was just being short with the media. Don't make a mountain out of a mole hill as the media do. It isn't that different to serving hard and flat right into the player's body to jam them up.

Principate

Oct 31, 2017
You're taking hitting the ball at your opponent too literally. He's not doing it out of malice but a usual tactic in tennis. A hard fast ball straight at your close opponent is very difficult to return as it leaves no time to position your racquet and jams you up. It also reduces angles and hitting the ball out if you were to go for a lower percentage shot to the sides. Nadal and any other player is quite capable and well placed within the rules for this sort of play.

I'm no kyrgios fanboy but he was just being short with the media. Don't make a mountain out of a mole hill as the media do. It isn't that different to serving hard and flat right into the player's body to jam them up.
How do you know any of this, your making any awful lot of assumptions for someone you don't actually know the thought processes of. He quite obviously greatly disliked rafa and and complained to umpire enough about him.

DrWong

Oct 29, 2017
How do you know any of this, your making any awful lot of assumptions for someone you don't actually know the thought processes of. He quite obviously greatly disliked rafa and and complained to umpire enough about him.
It doesn't matter what was in his head, it's within the rule. And it's not a big deal imo. And if there's something wrong the officials will take action.

Principate

Oct 31, 2017
It doesn't matter what was in his head, it's within the rule. And it's not a big deal imo. And if there's something wrong the officials will take action.
It's dangerous that's precisely why it's frowned upon despite being legal. If you can legally brain damage (or worse) someone, would you be fine if someone did it?

Deleted member 20284

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
It's dangerous that's precisely why it's frowned upon despite being legal. If you can legally brain damage (or worse) someone, would you be fine if someone did it?

Brain damage? That's a one in a billion chance mate. I know the play from decades of playing and years of coaching. Nadal himself also has hit balls at other players throughout his career. Most pros have at some time or another. It is courteous to signal an apology with your hand or racquet afterwards but given their distain for each other not that unusual to just carry on.

DrWong

Oct 29, 2017
You can't legally brain damage. Please.

I mean, I don't use that usually (shot at the opponent) but I'm not mad when the other try. That's part of the game.

Principate

Oct 31, 2017
You can't legally brain damage. Please.

I mean, I don't use that usually (shot at the opponent) but I'm not mad when the other try. That's part of the game.
If honestly don't believe a tennis ball travelling as fast as they can hit it and cause life threatening injuries in a chest area then I'm not sure what I can say anymore.

That's another level of naivety of the damage those balls can do.

Brain damage? That's a one in a billion chance mate. I know the play from decades of playing and years of coaching. Nadal himself also has hit balls at other players throughout his career. Most pros have at some time or another. It is courteous to signal an apology with your hand or racquet afterwards but given their distain for each other not that unusual to just carry on.
It's a rare chance precisely because most people don't go out of their way to purposefully use body shots. If everyone was a dangerous imbecile and purposefully went for body shots it would be a lot more common.

Niraj

Oct 25, 2017
Solid play from Hurkacz in that tiebreak. I don't think I've ever seen him play before now.

mclem

Oct 25, 2017
The crowd have really taken to her. It's not quite as if it's a Brit playing, but it's more partisan than many.

We just love an underdog story!

MIMIC

Dec 18, 2017
Wait, is there no Wimbledon thread?

Anyway, what a mess of a last few games that was, lol. 90-ball slice-a-thon. Anyway, very nice of Gauff to fend off that match point. Showed some incredible poise and resilience.

Hercog imploded.

Mcfrank

Oct 28, 2017
Wait, is there no Wimbledon thread?

Anyway, what a mess of a last few games that was, lol. 90-ball slice-a-thon. Anyway, very nice of Gauff to fend off that match point. Showed some incredible poise and resilience.

Hercog imploded.

I was gonna make one but time got away from me and it seems too late now.

Lone_Prodigy

Oct 25, 2017
Wow KAnderson is out in straights.

Edit: make a thread called "Wimbledon 2019: the grass is always greener in a separate thread"

lazybones18

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Not watching right now but I did catch the latest score. Looks like Gauff is taking playing on Centre Court really well. Hope she can get the victory

MIMIC

Dec 18, 2017
Hercog is playing some brain dead tennis. She made a slice approach, came BARELY to the net and stayed in no man's land.

Gauff should have hit the ball deep and it would have really hand cuffed her.

dean_rcg

Oct 27, 2017
Some of these rallies are painful to watch but it's dramatic. Fair
Play to Gauff for changing strategy and turning the tide.