• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

miserable

Oct 27, 2017
She hasn't had that same comeback ability since giving birth. Not everyone can be as great as Kim Cljisters
Will Serena have a moment like this?
tumblr_m9k8o7igrq1r08x2no7_250.gif

Deleted member 24097

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 29, 2017
Why do the French crowds get pissy when play is suspended due to darkness? It's their own damn fault for not wanting lights so they can "preserve tradition" and keep the local neighborhood free of light pollution. I guess complaining about something that's your own fault is peak French. How about just move the slam out of France and in to Spain and see if that makes the French happy.

Honestly in terms of pure tennis population, France deserves a slam.
10 out of the top 100 are French players and it's been consistent for years, if not decades.
Coaching fails to bring out top 10 players for some reason, and France probably is the country that has the biggest gap between the average number of professional players and the number of players who make it into the top 10.

Now do you know what other country has 10 players in the top 100 but nearly 4 times the total population of France and a lot more money?

Let me break it to you: the US.

With Spain and Serbia, these 4 are the biggest countries in terms of proportions in the ATP top 100.

The French love tennis and love their slam.
You don't get this kind of numbers with shit coaches unless you have a very dedicated population of fans.

The French Slam needs to be modernized, it has needed to be modernized for at least 20 years.
But there is a reason it remains there.

Does Spain deserves its own slam?
Yes, yes it does.

Now, is your personal hatred of the French Open reason enough to make it go away?

Thinking objectively, what country would least be impacted by the loss of a slam? Wouldn't this be a question worth examining?

OP
OP
perfectchaos007

perfectchaos007

It's Happening
Oct 25, 2017
Texas
Honestly in terms of pure tennis population, France deserves a slam.
10 out of the top 100 are French players and it's been consistent for years, if not decades.
Coaching fails to bring out top 10 players for some reason, and France probably is the country that has the biggest gap between the average number of professional players and the number of players who make it into the top 10.

Now do you know what other country has 10 players in the top 100 but nearly 4 times the total population of France and a lot more money?

Let me break it to you: the US.

With Spain and Serbia, these 4 are the biggest countries in terms of proportions in the ATP top 100.

The French love tennis and love their slam.
You don't get this kind of numbers with shit coaches unless you have a very dedicated population of fans.

The French Slam needs to be modernized, it has needed to be modernized for at least 20 years.
But there is a reason it remains there.

Does Spain deserves its own slam?
Yes, yes it does.

Now, is your personal hatred of the French Open reason enough to make it go away?

Thinking objectively, what country would least be impacted by the loss of a slam? Wouldn't this be a question worth examining?

No.

What's most important is to do what is best for the sport of tennis. For the last couple of decades, the French have not been treating their slam with the respect it deserves, and therefor it may be best for the sport to move the slam elsewhere.

Deleted member 24097

Banned
Oct 29, 2017
No.

What's most important is to do what is best for the sport of tennis. For the last couple of decades, the French have not been treating their slam with the respect it deserves, and therefor it may be best for the sport to move the slam elsewhere.

What is best for the sport of tennis is never going to be ruining it in one of the countries it's been flourishing in for a century, and continues to gather people's interest to this day.

Pressuring institutions so that they do what's necessary to make the French Open the interesting tournament it should be?
Sure.

But moving it altogether? Come on, that is ridiculous. Numbers.

OP
OP
perfectchaos007

perfectchaos007

It's Happening
Oct 25, 2017
Texas
What is best for the sport of tennis is never going to be ruining it in one of the countries it's been flourishing in for a century, and continues to gather people's interest to this day.

Pressuring institutions so that they do what's necessary to make the French Open the interesting tournament it should be?
Sure.

But moving it altogether? Come on, that is ridiculous. Numbers.

There has been pressure on the French Open for a long time to modernize, and they resist. The pressure that they need, is the threat of moving the tournament out of France. Give them a deadline, and let them control their fate.

sam777

Oct 27, 2017
Why do the French crowds get pissy when play is suspended due to darkness? It's their own damn fault for not wanting lights so they can "preserve tradition" and keep the local neighborhood free of light pollution. I guess complaining about something that's your own fault is peak French. How about just move the slam out of France and in to Spain and see if that makes the French happy.
The courts are getting renovated now, should be complete by 2021, so they will have floodlights and what not. While PC will have a roof. The floodlights may even be on for next year.

Deleted member 24097

Banned
Oct 29, 2017
There has been pressure on the French Open for a long time to modernize, and they resist. The pressure that they need, is the threat of moving the tournament out of France. Give them a deadline, and let them control their fate.

Fair enough.
There are things in progress though; central court should have a retractable roof by next year and even proper lights by 2021! Imagine that! Lights!

Now it might be a hay roof and a bunch of candles, you never know.

At least that's a step in the right direction.

As for clay as a surface, though, it's synonymous with identity with a number of tournaments, the flagship of which is the FO. I don't think it's going to go away anytime soon. Personally, I don't want it to go away either as having different surfaces is one of the defining characteristics of tennis as a sport and losing that would be net loss.
How many other sports are defined by the ability of top players to perform on a given surface?

You want to know what's worse?
I grew up in France, and no one I ever knew played on clay.
I literally knew only one place that even had a couple of clay courts (along with a ton of Hard courts).
Now I haven't been back to the country but sporadically for the past 20 years, so things may have changed - but somehow, I doubt that.

OP
OP
perfectchaos007

perfectchaos007

It's Happening
Oct 25, 2017
Texas
Fair enough.
There are things in progress though; central court should have a retractable roof by next year and even proper lights by 2021! Imagine that! Lights!

Now it might be a hay roof and a bunch of candles, you never know.

At least that's a step in the right direction.

As for clay as a surface, though, it's synonymous with identity with a number of tournaments, the flagship of which is the FO. I don't think it's going to go away anytime soon. Personally, I don't want it to go away either as having different surfaces is one of the defining characteristics of tennis as a sport and losing that would be net loss.
How many other sports are defined by the ability of top players to perform on a given surface?

You want to know what's worse?
I grew up in France, and no one I ever knew played on clay.
I literally knew only one place that even had a couple of clay courts (along with a ton of Hard courts).
Now I haven't been back to the country but sporadically for the past 20 years, so things may have changed - but somehow, I doubt that.
Yeah I knew they had a roof and maybe lights in the works but I'm to the point of "I'll believe it when I see it". Knowing what I've heard about the neighborhood, it would not surprise me if they complete the lights/roof project and they vote to not turn on the lights, or pull some other shenanigans.

For clay as a surface, as I mentioned before I think it would be fine as long as the courts are swept during every changeover. It's really tough as a fan to watch a match late in a set because the court looks ugly, the lines have clay dust all on them so it's hard to see if a ball is in/out, and the ball doesn't bounce as true since the surface becomes more and more uneven as the set wears on. Wimbledon has similar issues with their grass as the tournament wears on, but it's not quite as pronounced. I'm not saying clay or grass should be off the tour, but I think it's clear that hard courts are the best surface for a multitude of reasons to play and watch a tennis match. To me that's why I enjoy watching the US Open and Australian Open more than the French or Wimbledon

sam777

Oct 27, 2017
Tsitsipas Vs Wawrinka is the best match of the year. This match is amazing, this is why Clay court Tennis is the best, on no other surface do you get rallies like this.

John Dunbar

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
it is quite the battle. tsitsipas does look way more solid on serve, but he is also serving to stay in it so he might slip.

Deadman

Oct 29, 2017
All Swiss quarter final. Hope Wawrinka isn't too tired by this epic match.

Last edited:

John Dunbar

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
that's some finish. and just goes to show that clay needs hawkeye. no way can you trust some wanker looking for a mark to decide a point like that.

Mcfrank

Oct 28, 2017

They have two new stadiums this year, adding a roof and lights for next year. Give them some credit - they are on the right track. I had a lot of fun attending this year and the main complaint was the walk ways being too crowded and lack of open space. They are also addressing that for next year by demoing court 1 which creates bottlenecks for pedestrians and replacing it with open space.

AoM

Oct 31, 2017
All Swiss quarter final. Hope Wawrinka isn't too tired by this epic match.
I hope he is. :>

Edit: the only three times Wawrinka has beaten Federer have been on clay.

2009 - Monte Carlo - 6-4 / 7-5
2014 - Monte Carlo - 4-6 / 7-6 / 6-2
2015 - French Open - 6-4 / 6-3 / 7-6

Dammit, he's due for another win.

Last edited:

Green Yoshi

Attempted to circumvent ban with an alt account
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Cologne (Germany)
I really wish there was a night session in Roland Garros. Would be much better for people who have to work from 9 AM to 6 PM. And it would be less hot in the evening.

Hootie

Dec 25, 2017
I'm always amazed at how few people are in the stands in these earlier matches. The number 1 ranked player in the world is playing at center court in the 4th round of a slam and ~70% of the seats are empty?!

miserable

Oct 27, 2017
I'm always amazed at how few people are in the stands in these earlier matches. The number 1 ranked player in the world is playing at center court in the 4th round of a slam and ~70% of the seats are empty?!
it's Monday 1PM
it's rainy weather
a French player is playing over at another court

John Dunbar

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
interesting scoreline in the nishikori-paire match. nishikori won 2 sets 6-2, paire won 2 sets 10-8 in tiebreaks.

either one will get crushed by nadal.

Hootie

Dec 25, 2017
and down goes Paire...

although I see no reasonable reality were Nishikori isn't pummeled into the clay by Nadal tomorrow

Roy

Oct 27, 2017
Watching Fognini vs Zerev, it's ok. May help if they weren't whiny babies 😂 Whoever wins, we lose
If Zerev wins, it may be his first win vs a top 20 player in a Slam which is kind of crazy, Russians usually have weak mental game though

miserable

Oct 27, 2017
Big win for Khachanov. But he must lose to Thiem, as the austrian is the only one who can stop the evil that is Djokovic.

Niraj

Oct 25, 2017
Stan just broke after Federer failed to break in the previous game (Fed was up 40-15)

mclem

Oct 25, 2017
Konta into the semis after beating Sloane in straights. Great win for her and she will be favored in the semis

Couldn't watch, but was following liveblogs, and it sounds like Konta was playing out of her skin that match. If she could find that form on a regular basis she'll see more finals, she always seems to be just on the brink of a breakthrough year...