• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

cameron

The Fallen
Oct 26, 2017
www.mcminn.k12.tn.us

McMinn County Board of Education Statement

Below is an official statement from the McMinn County Board of Education: Click here to view...

5iuykmU.png

Primus

Oct 25, 2017
The fuck is an "age-appropriate fashion" of teaching about the Holocaust? Gonna replace the Nazi's guns with walkie-talkies or something?

zashga

Losing is fun
Oct 28, 2017
Oh my goodness. Can you believe that book about the holocaust had a swear word in it? There's just no call for that. Someone needs to think of the children.

These people are unbelievably fragile, to the point where it starts to feel like a facade covering something worse.

sprsk

Resettlement Advisor
Oct 25, 2017
AFAIK Maus was an AP English thing.

Meaning a sizable portion of the kids reading it are at the time of reading likely...adults.

DanGo

Oct 25, 2017
I actually just went to look for it.. lol. I might order it anyway and they'll ship it whenever they get more.

I love it when stupid shit like this backfires.
Want your shit to sell? Get it banned. Always works.
But that doesn't mean it's being read or taught to the students being denied access. A lot of the additional attention will be from people already well versed in the subject.

Oct 26, 2017
lithub.com

All-time icon Art Spiegelman responds to Maus ban on CNN (while vaping).

Yesterday, as the “Intellectual Dark Web” continued to hand-wring about the perils of over-wokening, a Tennessee school board voted unanimously to ban Art Spiegelman’s Pulitzer Pr…

The only silver lining of this terrifying case of (actual) censorship is that it gave us one of the greatest television interviews of all time, when Spiegelman appeared on CNN to respond to the news, while affably sipping coffee and vaping.

Spiegelman elegantly summed up his reaction, saying, "I've moved past total bafflement to trying to be tolerant of people who may possibly not be Nazis? Maybe? Because having read the transcript of the school board meeting, the problem is sort of bigger and stupider than that."

Last edited:

ultra7k

Oct 27, 2017
My grade 6 teacher was Dutch-Canadian, and you can be sure he made sure we learned about the Holocaust. We watched movies on the subject, went and saw a play about Anne Frank, and really he taught us a pretty comprehensive history of Europe. After all, she wasn't much older than us when the Holocaust happened. His curriculum was definitely not the norm, and I don't recall doing much in the way of Canadian history/social studies…except watching episodes of Street Cents to make us smarter consumers.

He was super into making sure we knew what had happened, how people were affected, and why they happened. Who could have predicted in such a short time that people would do an about face…we aren't even that far removed from those events.

My friend in that class got a copy of Maus box set through the Scholastic book order (it was deemed appropriate in the mid 90s) and we read it openly in class. Teacher never said a peep, and neither did any of our parents, or the principal for that matter. I'll never forget the imagery and impact of those two volumes.

As much as I felt he picked on me (probably trying to toughen me up, now that I look back on it) I'm glad he stuck to his guns and had the stones to stick to his right as a teacher to have class room autonomy to teach a tough subject to 11 and 12 year olds.

Deleted member 37151

Account closed at user request
Banned
Jan 1, 2018
You know I'm actually conflicted on this.

Correct me if I'm wrong, but I don't think they have really banned the book. It's just deemed not appropriate to teach to Grade 8 students as part of the curriculum. And I kind of agree. I assume it will still be available in the school library etc.

I LOVE Maus. It's a masterwork. But it is insanely powerful. I really think that these things can be very distressing to young children, and we do have to be careful about how we talk about things to them. Trigger warnings exist for a reason. Sure, some kids will be mature enough to handle it. But I'm an educator. Do I think most pupils of Grade 8 level are mature enough to engage with it? Probably not.

Should children learn about the holocaust from a young age? YES! Should it be something that's reinforced over their school careers? YES. Should it be taught through a variety of texts and mediums? YES. Is this specific text age appropriate for large proportions of Grade 8 pupils? I'm not sure.

I do think kids should be exposed to Maus. I think it's a seminal work. But I, personally, think it's more suited to pupils over 14.

I also think a lot of the power of Maus comes from already knowing something about the holocaust, and the twist of making it mice/cats. It's an extremely complex book both from a historical and literary perspective. Reading it requires a sophisticated appreciation of graphic novels, storytelling structures and knowledge of the holocaust.

On the other hand, I think the person best placed to make the decision about teaching it is the teacher. Not the school board.

Willin

Oct 28, 2017
If they thought that Maus was "impactful and meaningful", but it wasn't appropriate for 8th graders, they could have, you know, moved it up a grade or two.

Last edited:
Oct 28, 2017

Correct me if I'm wrong, but I don't think they have really banned the book. It's just deemed not appropriate to teach to Grade 8 students as part of the curriculum. And I kind of agree. I assume it will still be available in the school library etc.

I LOVE Maus. It's a masterwork. But it is insanely powerful. I really think that these things can be very distressing to young children, and we do have to be careful about how we talk about things to them. Trigger warnings exist for a reason. Sure, some kids will be mature enough to handle it. But I'm an educator. Do I think most pupils of Grade 8 level are mature enough to engage with it? Probably not.

Should children learn about the holocaust from a young age? YES! Should it be something that's reinforced over their school careers? YES. Should it be taught through a variety of texts and mediums? YES. Is this specific text age appropriate for large proportions of Grade 8 pupils? I'm not sure.

I do think kids should be exposed to Maus. I think it's a seminal work. But I, personally, think it's more suited to pupils over 14.

I also think a lot of the power of Maus comes from already knowing something about the holocaust, and the twist of making it mice/cats. It's an extremely complex book both from a historical and literary perspective. Reading it requires a sophisticated appreciation of graphic novels, storytelling structures and knowledge of the holocaust.

On the other hand, I think the person best placed to make the decision about teaching it is the teacher. Not the school board.

If you're not ready for Holocaust info at 14, in the format of Maus, we're fucked.

Deleted member 37151

Banned
Jan 1, 2018
If you're not ready for Holocaust info at 14, in the format of Maus, we're fucked.
you see, as someone who loves the book, I think this reading of it is fundamentally flawed.

Because it is presented as cartoons, I think people think it's more child friendly.
I don't think it is at all. I think it's a harrowing, truthful AWESOME (I mean that in it's original meaning) book. And I think it's power to move is significantly more than a more simple, factual retelling of events. It's brutal. Can a child, given support, read it? Yes. But I do think it's a gut punch of a work that needs a mature child or a huge support network in place.

In fact, that's one of its major powers. You thought this was a cartoon. You thought this was gonna be friendlier, somehow glossing over details. Be easier to read. Nope. That book will FUCK. YOU. UP.

I would say that a factual retelling of events is more appropriate for younger students.

But again, that's for the teacher to decide.

Oct 25, 2017
Miami, FL
you see, as someone who loves the book, I think this reading of it is fundamentally flawed.

Because it is presented as cartoons, I think people think it's more child friendly.
I don't think it is at all. I think it's a harrowing, truthful AWESOME (I mean that in it's original meaning) book. And I think it's power to move is significantly more than a more simple, factual retelling of events. It's brutal. Can a child, given support, read it? Yes. But I do think it's a gut punch of a work that needs a mature child or a huge support network in place.

In fact, that's one of its major powers. You thought this was a cartoon. You thought this was gonna be friendlier, somehow glossing over details. Be easier to read. Nope. That book will FUCK. YOU. UP.

I would say that a factual retelling of events is more appropriate for younger students.

But again, that's for the teacher to decide.
Very fair. what grade would you target for it if you had a vote here?

Deleted member 37151

Banned
Jan 1, 2018
Very fair. what grade would you target for it if you had a vote here?
I don't know American grades very well but I would teach it to ages 15/16/17/18 but importantly I would take fucking ages to do it. I would have multiple discussion points. I would introduce the content in a very controlled way. I might not even read all of it. I would build in breaks to do other things and I would make clear to students when we were coming up to the content around suicide. I think we need to be REALLY careful around suicide content. Not that we can't teach it or discuss it. The exact opposite. We need to make sure that it's not just THERE. That's its presented with support and lots and lots and lots of structured discussion.

angelgrievous

Middle fingers up
Nov 8, 2017
Ohio
I don't know American grades very well but I would teach it to ages 15/16/17/18 but importantly I would take fucking ages to do it. I would have multiple discussion points. I would introduce the content in a very controlled way. I might not even read all of it. I would build in breaks to do other things and I would make clear to students when we were coming up to the content around suicide. I think we need to be REALLY careful around suicide content. Not that we can't teach it or discuss it. The exact opposite. We need to make sure that it's not just THERE. That's its presented with support and lots and lots and lots of structured discussion.
It seems you're making a lot of assumptions about the teacher that was using/going to use the book.

Mekanos

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 17, 2018
I learned about the Holocaust since before I hit double digits. The goyim can read Maus in middle school.

WhySoDevious

Oct 31, 2017
I remember picking this up from my high school's library.

Can't remember much about it now, but for some reason I do remember it being incomplete or the story was inconclusive.

I would like to read it again.

EDIT: Looked it up on Amazon. I guess the library only had the first part and that's what I read. That's why I remember it being incomplete.

I learned about the Holocaust and its adjacent tragedies (The Rape of Nanking, etc.) at age 12.

Rover

Oct 25, 2017
Greek mythology is a very typical part of the curriculum by 8th grade, and that features a bunch of naked people raping and killing each other. But then again that's considered "classical studies" and part of 'beautiful western civilization', not the ugly reality.

Thordinson

Aug 1, 2018

I don't see how it's not appropriate for 8th Grade students when I learned about the Holocaust and read the Diary of Anne Frank before then. We watched Schindler's List in 8th Grade. 8th graders can definitely read Maus.

Futureman

Oct 26, 2017
I don't see how it's not appropriate for 8th Grade students when I learned about the Holocaust and read the Diary of Anne Frank before then. We watched Schindler's List in 8th Grade. 8th graders can definitely read Maus.

Yea, bizarre opinion. That poster seems to be saying "we need to be careful how we teach this!" I guess, doesn't mean an 8th grader can't engage with Maus.

Fisty

Oct 25, 2017
Tbh this might be a net positive, some kids will be more drawn to the book and seek it out when they may not have even heard about it before.

The world would be a better place if more people read Maus.

TheYanger

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Yup I picked up maus from the scholastic book faire in fourth grade. Concern over kids is dumb

Foltzie

One Winged Slayer
The Fallen
Oct 26, 2017

13-14 year olds are young children incapable of engaging with a graphic novel about the holocaust that doesnt shy away from the violence? I find this hard to believe. Most pre-teens I know these days are already aware of bullying and intolerance as a concept, a text covering an example of such intolerance seems to be quite graspable.

OP
OP
entremet

entremet

You wouldn't toast a NES cartridge
Oct 26, 2017
Kinda crazy these idiots timed it for Holocaust Remembrance Day as well.

Tbm24

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
13-14 year olds are young children incapable of engaging with a graphic novel about the holocaust that doesnt shy away from the violence? I find this hard to believe. Most pre-teens I know these days are already aware of bullying and intolerance as a concept, a text covering an example of such intolerance seems to be quite graspable.
Often I find people talk about 13-14 year olds like they are 3 years old. My daughter is turning 5 soon and she understands a LOT more about life and her own emotions than anyone ever wants to give her credit for.

Fat4all

Woke up, got a money tag, swears a lot
Oct 25, 2017
here

www.cnbc.com

'Maus' is an Amazon bestseller after Tennessee school ban – author Art Spiegelman compares board to Putin

"Maus" is a decades old book about Holocaust survivors. Its ban by a Tennessee school board has sparked renewed interest in it.

"The Complete Maus" on Friday held the No. 1 spot among Amazon's bestsellers in the comics and graphic novels category, the No. 4 spot for literature and No. 5 for biography.

"Maus I" and "Maus II" — earlier published books that are combined in "The Complete Maus" — also shot up to other top spots on Amazon bestseller lists since Wednesday afternoon, when news of the ban first broke.

Oct 25, 2017

Tavernade

Tavernade
Sep 18, 2018
I'm think I watched "Night and Fog" around middle school age. Or at least something similar. In Hebrew School we watched and read a bunch of stuff related to the Holocaust and even went to the Holocaust Museum in DC (and I stopped going to classes as soon as I got my Bar Mitzvah, so I encountered all of this before high school). And I know I saw the relevant Band of Brothers episode when the DVD came out. Kids are pretty smart and resilient.

I'm pretty sure I have Maus somewhere, I should read it. I keep putting it off.

Alucrid

Chicken Photographer
Oct 25, 2017
I'm not familiar with how school boards work. I'm not American. But this certainly seems like the answer.

school boards are voted in through local elections. because of that you have complete fucking idiots that end up on it like tony allman.

Tony Allman- This is a book for the eighth grade on a third grade reading level.
Steven Brady- No, that is incorrect.
Tony Allman- So the 3.0 on the front of the book doesn't stand for third grade reading?

Tony Allman- I understand all that, but being in the schools, educators and stuff we don't need to enable or somewhat promote this stuff. It shows people hanging, it shows them killing kids, why does the educational system promote this kind of stuff, it is not wise or healthy.

Tony Allman- I understand that on tv and maybe at home these kids hear worse, but we are talking about things that if a student went down the hallway and said this, our disciplinary policy says they can be disciplined, and rightfully so. And we are teaching this and going against policy?

Tony Allman- The common core curriculum, I may be wrong but isn't it state law that it has to be posted on the website so people can view it? I haven't been able to find that website.

SilentSoldier

Oct 27, 2017
I remember learning about the Holocaust in 6th grade while studying about WWII. I read both Number the Stars and Sadako and the Thousand Paper Cranes. Both harrowing tales of the war at 11 years old. I also read Night at 14 in 9th grade and that story is probably far more bleaker than Maus is. I also remember watching Schindler's List around that age ( not in school, my dad was a sucker for WWII movies). I think it's perfectly fine to be able to teach Maus to 14 yr olds and have it be an engaging learning experience.