• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

ScOULaris

Oct 25, 2017
There is no shortage of pixel-art games in the industry today, with nearly every example coming from the indie space. The thing is, indie developers most often aim for a pixel-art style that resembles something akin to the 8-bit era of the NES/Master System. This choice is almost always a practical one, as 8-bit levels of detail and animation frames are far more achievable for a small development team looking to make their mark with an indie release.

I, like many others I'd assume, have always felt that pixel art kind of peaked in the 16-bit era (with some exceptional stuff during the 32-bit era as well). SNES games tend to age very well, graphically, because this was a time when there was just enough horsepower for talented pixel artists and game developers to really depict on-screen action that resembled to the concept art that adorned the game manuals of the NES era. Since pixel-art was the de facto art style of nearly every game at that time, every major developer of the time was firing on all cylinders with funding, time, and talent all going toward crafting these visually beautiful 16-bit experiences.

That's why it's so rare to see something today, indie or otherwise, that really nails the look and feel of a 16-bit game. There are a handful every year or two that come close, but there are usually little things that keep them from feeling 100% authentic in recreating that SNES look and feel.

But Tengo Project continues to impress me with their application of traditional, 16-bit-esque pixel art and animation in their games. They really feel like how pixel art would've progressed if there was a successor to the SNES that had a similar focus on pixel-pushing rather than 3D rendering. I don't really have much else to say other than I think they're doing a fantastic job upholding this beloved pixel-art tradition through their work, and I'd love to see more games that attempt this SNES-inspired look.

560385-ninja%20saviors%20release%20date.jpg

Ninja Warriors: Return of the Warriors

483399-wgr.jpg

Wild Guns Reloaded

EhiDuokXkAAv2uI.jpg

KiKi KaiKai: Kuro Mantle no Nazo (upcoming Pocky & Rocky sequel)

entremet

You wouldn't toast a NES cartridge
Oct 26, 2017
Great thread.

I love that sprites are making a comeback with Japanese works. They're all over the Western Indie space. But the Japanese devs has moved to mostly polygons for their remakes. Makes me sad for the Monster World IV remake :(

SnazzyNaz

The Wise Ones
Nov 11, 2019
Are the modern releases of Wild Guns and Ninja Warriors genuine ports/remasters or are they emulation based?

Just Great

Oct 25, 2017
I love Tengo Project's seemingly "one last ride" ethos of revisiting their old games before they all end up retiring. I'd like them to have enough success to justify making a completely new game in a 16-bit style/genre, maybe if there's an old concept they have kicking around but never got to make.

Are the modern releases of Wild Guns and Ninja Warriors genuine ports/remasters or are they emulation based?

Genuine remasters. Brand new characters, stages, mechanics, animations, etc.

entremet

You wouldn't toast a NES cartridge
Oct 26, 2017
They are full sprite based remasters. A lot of the sprites are redrawn from scratch. And they have some extras, like new characters. They're not emulation.

charlieman999

Oct 29, 2017
Spain
I played Pocky and Rocky and Ninja warriors on my snes many years ago and i loved them but i never played wild guns, is it a good game? The only game i remember playing in that style is Cabal in the arcades, is the remaster version recommended instead of the original?

Just Great

Oct 25, 2017
I played Pocky and Rocky and Ninja warriors on my snes many years ago and i loved them but i never played wild guns, is it a good game? The only game i remember playing in that style is Cabal in the arcades, is the remaster version recommended instead of the original?

Wild Guns is great and Cabal-style games, in general, are underrated. Wild Guns Reloaded adds 2 entirely new characters with interesting mechanics and some stages. I don't think there's any reason to play the original over Reloaded.

Deleted member 7572

User-requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Reloaded is much better, but the original is included on the SNES App if you want to try out the original before committing to the remake.

Oct 26, 2017
I know it's been re-released to death and already on Switch twice, but I legit am curious what NatsumeAtari would do with Sonic 1 (or better Sonic 3 and Knuckles).

King Kingo

Banned
Dec 3, 2019
I hope Taito works with Natsume Atari for the forseeable future because their collaboration has been nothing but quality.

Rei Toei

Nov 8, 2017
I wasn't aware these were the result of the original creators revisiting some of their old projects. That's really cool, and also kinda bittersweet. Echoeing the sentiment that I'm really happy with the indie scene revisiting the style in so many genres, can't help but hope Japanese developers hopefully find a new appreciation for pixel-art.

Zen Hero

Oct 25, 2017
The new Pocky and Rocky game really impresses me. It looks really beautiful and also nostalgic.

rawhide

Oct 28, 2017
Wild Guns is great and Cabal-style games, in general, are underrated. Wild Guns Reloaded adds 2 entirely new characters with interesting mechanics and some stages. I don't think there's any reason to play the original over Reloaded.

I wouldn't go that far--the original was very co-op friendly and not super tough, whereas Reloaded is much harder and has some very silly restrictions around co-op that make it much less of a casual-friendly co-op experience. There are a few very simple options they could have included to make the game more accessible without compromising the new level of challenge, but they didn't (except on Switch, that version has an infinite lives mode) and I think people ought to know that going in.

Kain-Nosgoth

Oct 25, 2017
Switzerland
Tengo project are amazing, i wish more developpers would do remakes likes that instead of 3D most of the time

absolutely everything is remade, the music, the sprites, the background, it's just amazing! I was also so happy they put the original arcade music in ninja warriors too.... DADDY MULK!

My only regret is that they're not online, i have nobody to play with sadly

tp_pattern2.gif

sCh6NLw.jpg

I'm so glad they're doing pocky & rocky now... even though it might be their last game

I hope it will have new stages too, i need to hear 100 % new music like this one :

Hiroyuki Iwatsuki is so good!

Last edited:

Warszawa

Sep 30, 2018
I mean basically they look like high-end Saturn/PS1 games. Kind of what the next-gen post MD/SNES would have looked like until Ken Kutaragi basically threw his lot in with affordable/fast 3D with the PS1 and domino'd Sega into beefing the Saturn up.

I'm down for that.

Just Great

Oct 25, 2017
I don't think that implies it's going to be Tengo Project's last game as much as it implies that at their age, they can't really afford to put projects on the backburner.

MrWindUpBird

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
This is a good thread but I really disagree with saying that most indies are emulating an 8-bit style, that's simply not true.

Geist 6one7

Oct 29, 2017
MASS
I hope we can get an Elevator Action Returns Again from these guys some day, all of their releases thus far have been ace. Didn't know we were getting a Pocky and Rocky remake though, nice.

Just Great

Oct 25, 2017
I hope we can get an Elevator Action Returns Again from these guys some day, all of their releases thus far have been ace. Didn't know we were getting a Pocky and Rocky remake though, nice.

It's important to remember is that Tengo Project is helmed by Natsume veterans working on remakes/sequels of projects they themselves worked on 25+ years ago, I don't know if they would have the same interest in working on other developers games.

eso76

Prophet of Truth
Dec 8, 2017
Yeah, that's how you do a 2d remake.
Their games look like supercharged 16bit stuff dreams are made of, just perfect.