• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Crimsonskies

Alt account
Banned
Nov 1, 2019
I still don't get how the inversion stuff actually works just me being confused after watching another Nolan movie.

tenor.gif

-COOLIO-

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
There is one thing I really don't understand. Future Kat kills Sator and leaves on the boat. How does she get back to the present day?

There are two Kat's at that moment but we see future Kat outside the kids school call the number that the Protagonist gave her. So we know that is future Kat but back in the present.
she just lives, present kat goes to the past eventually and then there's just one kat in the world again

GoutPatrol

Oct 30, 2017
When you see the flashback in Russia of him cleaning up, he finds the case and it has instructions in ? Was this the instructions that told him what to do to find the various peices, and I assume the reward was oh look here and you will find a case of gold ?

I think the instructions have his own name in it - he sent it back to make sure he finds it.

Oct 27, 2017
Ireland
I'm sorry for asking this again.

So when he is introduced to inverting work the gun, he pulls the trigger and the bullet emerges from the block back loaded into the gun.

Am I best to think of everything as not time itself being reversed but all objects in the same time frame but some experience mirror entropy ( it just dawned on me this is what she says isn't it )
Thinking about time going backwards seems to confusing me

OP
OP

Deleted member 2802

Community Resetter
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I'm sorry for asking this again.

So when he is introduced to inverting work the gun, he pulls the trigger and the bullet emerges from the block back loaded into the gun.

Am I best to think of everything as not time itself being reversed but all objects in the same time frame but some experience mirror entropy ( it just dawned on me this is what she says isn't it )
Thinking about time going backwards seems to confusing me
I guess. It's not like time machine time travel exactly but it is "inverted".
I'm not sure if it is "mirrored entropy" though.
We are just using words/concepts Nolan made up so he could do forward/reverse camera tricks.
🤷‍♀️

AegonSnake

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
What an insane movie. At first i was like meh but then they went back in time half way through the movie and i was like wow. you got me again nolan you crazy son of a bitch!!!1

the sound mixing though. i couldnt make out half of the things they were saying. nolan really needs to get his act together. this is worse than michael caine in interstellar, this is worse than Bane in TDKR. everyone sounds like shit. its simlpy inexcusable for a movie that is trying to introduce a brand new sci fi concept to the audience. compared to inception which was made super easy to understand, this feels lazy.

love the setpieces though, and the ending was absolutely fantastic. fuck the critics. we should be praising high concept movies like this instead of giving 100% fresh ratings to yearly comic blockbusters.

what a movie.

More_Badass

Oct 25, 2017
What an insane movie. At first i was like meh but then they went back in time half way through the movie and i was like wow. you got me again nolan you crazy son of a bitch!!!1

the sound mixing though. i couldnt make out half of the things they were saying. nolan really needs to get his act together. this is worse than michael caine in interstellar, this is worse than Bane in TDKR. everyone sounds like shit. its simlpy inexcusable for a movie that is trying to introduce a brand new sci fi concept to the audience. compared to inception which was made super easy to understand, this feels lazy.

love the setpieces though, and the ending was absolutely fantastic. fuck the critics. we should be praising high concept movies like this instead of giving 100% fresh ratings to yearly comic blockbusters.

what a movie.
Praising an amazingly realized high concept doesn't mean ignoring or reducing weaknesses and flaws. It's not either-or

Also I don't think you understand what a RT score actually ranks if you're complaining about "100% fresh ratings"

KillingJoke

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Just saw it. Loved it but holy shit i had no idea what was going on for the first 40min. Scene after scene of dialogue can barely hear. Great action, enjoyed the characters for the most part. Need to watch few times to digest. If Inception fucked with your head then be prepared for something 100x crazier.

Also to add little things i noticed
- He put a title credit near the beginning which through me off
- OST was great
- Ending credit song was not very Nolanish. No epic triumph theme. Still cool though.

Last edited:

Jeremy

Oct 25, 2017
Loved this movie. I am pretty sure things like the muffled dialogue and the lack of beautiful scenery are intentional in a movie about disorientation.

I haven't read this thread yet, but something striking to me was the film's vision of the future, which is apocalyptic (at least in terms of the threat that it poses to the present) but uncertain in terms of times, visuals, ideology, etc... Definitely more unnerving than some more defined future threat could be.

Maple

Oct 27, 2017
One thing I'm confused about is The Protagonist - so he starts Tenet and recruits Neil in the far future? And then Neil inverts all the way back to the Opera house to save a past Protagonist that is oblivious to who he is and to Tenet?

Josh5890

I'm Your Favorite Poster's Favorite Poster
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Saw it tonight. About halfway through I gave up trying to figure out everything and just sat and absorbed it the best I can.

This will need another re-watch for sure.

Snake Eater

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Loved this movie. I am pretty sure things like the muffled dialogue and the lack of beautiful scenery are intentional in a movie about disorientation.

I haven't read this thread yet, but something striking to me was the film's vision of the future, which is apocalyptic (at least in terms of the threat that it poses to the present) but uncertain in terms of times, visuals, ideology, etc... Definitely more unnerving than some more defined future threat could be.

Muffled dialogue was intentional? I've heard it all now

Snake Eater

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Yes. It's an aesthetic choice. One that Nolan has made repeatedly. He makes movies that thrive on audience confusion/require them to pay close attention. This is one of his methods.

Have you not seen other Nolan films?

I have, and I have not seen a single movie of his in which I probably didn't make out a third of the dialogue clearly

In fact this is the first time I've seen a movie of his in which I needed subtitles to be there (seen them all in theater except his very first). It's just really bad vocal mixing

AegonSnake

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Saw this last night and... it was basically Christopher Nolan cranked up to 11 for better and worse: all his strengths and weaknesses as a director are completely amplified and as a consequence you end up with something that can be technically/academically lauded while at the same time being absolutely risable from a storytelling and characterisation standpoint.

Kenneth Branagh going full ham seemed like the only person who understood the self-seriousness of it all.

This would probably be bottom three Nolan for me.
Nolan went full Kojima and i loved every second of it.

it's his death stranding.

bastardly

Nov 8, 2017
yeh, im gonna need one of those infographics for this one for sure. after reading up on some of the explanations, it makes more sense, and i definitely got the grand plot, but some of the finer details is just causing my nose to bleed figuring out. That said, its not his best film by any stretch, but its his most ambitious by far, holy fuck does it force you to try to think about simple action sequences and how it actually works in its world. Biggest knock i can give it is it has that classic Nolan coldness to it, so a lot of the motivations i just did not give two fucks about. Visually its just unreal, Nolan is just on another level when it comes to world building and that fact that he continually plays with time over and over and makes it fresh each time is pretty commendable.

Definitely need to see this again and definitely with subtitles.

GoutPatrol

Oct 30, 2017
One thing I'm confused about is The Protagonist - so he starts Tenet and recruits Neil in the far future? And then Neil inverts all the way back to the Opera house to save a past Protagonist that is oblivious to who he is and to Tenet?

Yes.

Technically we don't know when in the future this tech emerges though. Could be 3, could be 30.

Saucycarpdog

Oct 25, 2017
Just got back. My God my ears are still ringing from that battle scene. Nolan needs to practice some godamn self control with the audio.

I think I got the gist of the plot. So the algorithm tells how to invert things. The future wants this algorithm to invert the world or something cause of climate change. And the villain was going to kill himself so the algorithm gets broadcasted to everyone in the present so the future gets it.

Am I understanding that correctly?

May 24, 2019
I'm back from seeing it in IMAX and a lot of dialogue was lost in the mix, especially when people were on radios.
I'm gonna see it a second time before checking on the internet whether I got everything, but I just want to know, was it all audable in a regular screening for you guys, or should I just wait for subtitles?

Xbox Live Mike

Prophet of Truth
The Fallen
Oct 29, 2017
USA
I liked the movie, I spent most of it trying to figure out the things that would be brought back at the end. The only thing that didn't come true? I thought Neil was Kat's son from the future.

John Caboose

Oct 26, 2017
Sweden
Just got back. My God my ears are still ringing from that battle scene. Nolan needs to practice some godamn self control with the audio.

I think I got the gist of the plot. So the algorithm tells how to invert things. The future wants this algorithm to invert the world or something cause of climate change. And the villain was going to kill himself so the algorithm gets broadcasted to everyone in the present so the future gets it.

Am I understanding that correctly?

The location of the algorithm (that cave) gets broadcasted in a way that guarantees a record of that message makes it to the future yeah.

Last edited:

bastardly

Nov 8, 2017
Need to watch it again but two quick questions

1) if inverted bullets are so dangerous because of the radiation, how is it ok for them to invert themselves back and forth?

2) they had to save Kat by inverting back to the airport to use the machine there, but don't those tenet military guys have their own inversion machine?

OP
OP

Deleted member 2802

Community Resetter
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Need to watch it again but two quick questions

1) if inverted bullets are so dangerous because of the radiation, how is it ok for them to invert themselves back and forth?

2) they had to save Kat by inverting back to the airport to use the machine there, but don't those tenet military guys have their own inversion machine?
No idea on the bullets
Maybe Oslo was closer to Estonia than the TENET army machine?

Dictator

Digital Foundry
Verified
Oct 26, 2017
Berlin, 'SCHLAND
The inverted protagonist fights himself and then goes through then inversion machine runs out the other side to have Neil chase after him. Sure. Makes sense.

But here there is an editing problem that introduces a continuinty error. We see the now non-inverted protagonist after this meet again outside with (supposed-to-be-inverted) Neil pushing Injured kat on a stretcher. Neil should be inverted at this point, moving backwards at this point from the non-inverted Protagonists perspective. Either that, or at least show the audience that Neil went through the inversion machine once again. Which they did not show in that hectic scene before at all as the protagonist fights himself.
I immediately raised my eyebrows here when seeing the film as I imagined half the audience at that moment being like "wtf how does this time inversion mechanic even work?!"

This movie spends way too much time attempting to shock the audience with the effects of the inverted time mechanic to get "got ya moments" but then also has an editing decision which requires the audience to just "assume" or be confused. Blah.

More_Badass

Oct 25, 2017
The inverted protagonist fights himself and then goes through then inversion machine runs out the other side to have Neil chase after him. Sure. Makes sense.

But here there is an editing problem that introduces a continuinty error. We see the now non-inverted protagonist after this meet again outside with (supposed-to-be-inverted) Neil pushing Injured kat on a stretcher. Neil should be inverted at this point, moving backwards at this point from the non-inverted Protagonists perspective. Either that, or at least show the audience that Neil went through the inversion machine once again. Which they did not show in that hectic scene before at all as the protagonist fights himself.
I immediately raised my eyebrows here when seeing the film as I imagined half the audience at that moment being like "wtf how does this time inversion mechanic even work?!"

This movie spends way too much time attempting to shock the audience with the effects of the inverted time mechanic to get "got ya moments" but then also has an editing decision which requires the audience to just "assume" or be confused. Blah.
We see it from Neil's perspective right? He's pushing the stretcher and JDW reverse-opens the shutter for Neil to push the stretcher through

Ringten

Nov 15, 2017
There is one thing I really don't understand. Future Kat kills Sator and leaves on the boat. How does she get back to the present day?

There are two Kat's at that moment but we see future Kat outside the kids school call the number that the Protagonist gave her. So we know that is future Kat but back in the present.

There are two Kat's at that point. But past kat goes through the same loop as future kat. Whereas future kat continues in the present.

Fiddle

Banned
Oct 31, 2017

Looks like people have gotten their hands on one of the tracks, none others have been released yet

Frodo

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
I'm back from seeing it in IMAX and a lot of dialogue was lost in the mix, especially when people were on radios.
I'm gonna see it a second time before checking on the internet whether I got everything, but I just want to know, was it all audable in a regular screening for you guys, or should I just wait for subtitles?

Sound mixing will be dreadful in all showings. It's really bad.

Jarmel

The Jackrabbit Always Wins
Oct 25, 2017
New York
So what was the deal with Kat's injury and healing process? That she needed to be inversed to heal otherwise her insides are liquified? And then needed to be reversed to normal to finish the healing process?

Sargerus

▲ Legend ▲
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
I dont understand how the Protagonist will recruit Neil in the future when he's young. You can only invert someone but you can't jump to any point in time at will. Unless young Neil and Prot will meet in the future and Neil will keep coming back and forward until the time the Prot first meets him.

TENETimeline

Osahi

Oct 27, 2017
Somebody made a Tenet-timeline. Showing when characters inverted or reverted. It's in French though, but it shouldn't be a problem to recognise the name of cities.

(The text says: Did you see #TENET but didn't understand anything? Don't panic, follow the plan to find your way around the maze concocted by Christopher Nolan)

EgqzPVCXYAAT4J2

Maple

Oct 27, 2017
Yes.

Technically we don't know when in the future this tech emerges though. Could be 3, could be 30.

But wouldn't JDW need to recruit everyone else at some point as well? CIA Boss, Priya, Ives, the other operatives, etc.

So he meets Neil in the future at some point, decides to build Tenet, recruits Neil as his first member, and then has to invert and go back and recruit everyone else, right?

Also, at the very end of the film, why is JDW killing Priya? And why does Priya want to kill Kat? Does Priya know that this Kat is actually from a different timeline? And is the JDW we see in this scene the same one we've been following along since the start of the movie, or is it a future JDW?