• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Nome

Designer / Self-requested ban
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
NYC

NinjaScooter

Oct 25, 2017
Nolan is maybe the most bankable director working today, so it's no shock WB basically hands him a blank check. He hasn't failed them yet.

Keep in mind this kind of budget is probably the new normal for big tentpole action movies. It's not like this is a case of a budget ballooning out of control. Most movies of this type are costing this much and will continue to do so moving forward, people are just still in that sticker shock phase about it.

Maple

Oct 27, 2017
What kind of domestic opening does Tenet need to justify that kind of budget?

Inception opened at $62 million and Interstellar opened at $47.5.

I can't see Tenet doing more than $70 million opening weekend.

Blader

Oct 27, 2017
Dunkirk's box office is kinda crazy. A WWII movie, with no real leading star power, dropped in the middle of summer -- among superheroes and other major, known franchises -- making half a billion dollars is a real testament to the strength of Nolan as his own brand.

effzee

Oct 26, 2017
NJ

I think with a non established or comic book IP, its less about the opening weekend and more about the total BO revenue.

ExInferus

Nov 14, 2017
Dunkirk's box office is kinda crazy. A WWII movie, with no real leading star power, dropped in the middle of summer -- among superheroes and other major, known franchises -- making half a billion dollars is a real testament to the strength of Nolan as his own brand.

without Americans too

Deleted member 60295

User requested account closure
Banned
Sep 28, 2019
Is there a single sex scene in a Nolan film?
Maybe the prestige, I can't remember

They show Bruce and "Miss Tate" pre and post-coitus in The Dark Knight Rises. And The Dark Knight implies Bruce slept with all those russian ballerinas he took with him to Hong Kong on his yacht, before he went off to kidnap the Gotham mob's money guy. Apart from that... I got nothing.

BrickArts295

GOTY Tracking Thread Master
Oct 26, 2017
WB didnt even have think twice to sign that check. Apparently Nolan is one of the few filmmakers who not only delivers a finished film on time but tends to not even use the full budget given to him. The dude is a joy to work with.
And in contrast to the frantic last-minute reshoots of so many big-budget movies, Mr. Nolan's work is reliable. He delivers films that are remarkably close to what he originally pitched to his backers. They come in ahead of schedule and under budget.
Source

Cipherr

Oct 26, 2017
He's legit my favorite film maker right now. I pretty much drop everything to go see his flicks. So Im happy to see him being given this sort of rope budget wise. I'd clone his ass and fill the years with his movies if I could.

cognizant

Dec 19, 2017
I will never stop being annoyed with Nolan trying to force me into the cinema. Why can't he just release the prologue online after a month or something. Anyone remember when the Wachowskis released episodes of The Animatrix online for free? I watched them during lunch break at uni. Good times.

Oct 27, 2017
I will never stop being annoyed with Nolan trying to force me into the cinema. Why can't he just release the prologue online after a month or something. Anyone remember when the Wachowskis released episodes of The Animatrix online for free? I watched them during lunch break at uni. Good times.
Why would you want to see IMAX footage on a monitor for the first time? Nolan actually gives people a reason to see his films on a big screen.

NaM

Feb 7, 2018
Nolan is the first person on the planet to do reverse photography on an IMAX camera.

If he wanted WB could have give him even more money.

Smokey_Run

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017

80-95 million. There is nothing around it in either direction. By the end of July, people will be ready to hit the theater for a big summer movie.

Br3wnor

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Had no idea this movie was happening, trailer was so good, can't wait to see this in theaters. Nolan is gotta are in theater territory.

jey_16

Oct 28, 2017
$200m is the standard these days for any blockbuster film, and if it's a Nolan film, you don't even question it. Just hand him the cheque and come back a year later

Khanimus

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Greater Vancouver
It's not that crazy. The SW movies are over 250-300
Star Wars is also... y'know, Star Wars. Movies with insane sets, massive cg work, puppets, and a massive marketing and merchandising machine to support. Nolan is certainly more creatively ambitious, but usually his creativity manages to be a little more restrained.

How much was Interstellar or Inception?

Smokey_Run

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Star Wars is also... y'know, Star Wars. Movies with insane sets, massive cg work, puppets, and a massive marketing and merchandising machine to support. Nolan is certainly more creatively ambitious, but usually his creativity manages to be a little more restrained.

How much was Interstellar or Inception?
Inception was 160 million. Interstellar was 165. Account for inflation, he's basically been given the same budget. He's also someone who comes in ahead of schedule and under budget. There is a good chance the 200 million is lower when the dust settles.

Apathy

Oct 25, 2017
Can they use some of that budget to do a better job sound mixing? The preview before star wars was impossible to hear the dialogue over the music

Fevaweva

Oct 30, 2017
Nolan and Quentin seem to be the only directors being given blank checks by the big film studios.

Even Scorsese can't do that.

What an amazing place to be in, career-wise.

Ithil

Oct 25, 2017
What's the highest one-off film or non-licensed property film? Star Wars is not the same as a random Sci-Fi Film.

Yes it's Nolan, but he's pushing the boundaries of budgets for this kind of film. No licensed property, not a sequel to a proven property, etc.
Nolan is the proven property. He's one of the few directors these days to be a genuine brand name. Tarantino as well, but he doesn't make such expensive films.