• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

jett

Community Resettler
Oct 25, 2017
For people asking why $800 million, here are some rough numbers:

$225 million - Production budget
$175 million - Marketing/Advertising

So that's about $400 million spent by the studio. Now, the studio doesn't keep 100% of the box office gross, because obviously the cinema needs to make money, too. Typically the studios take 55% of the gross in the US, but bigger studios will pressure cinemas into letting them keep as much as 90% for opening weekend or even opening week, with that tailing down during the film's run.

Overseas studios make less. I think in Europe it's about 35-40%, and in China it can be low as 20-25% of the gross, unless they partner with a Chinese production/distribution company. That's why all that money Warcraft made in China wasn't enough to make it a success.

This doesn't factor in how big name directors and actors etc. will negotiate a percentage of the box office. More naive ones will settle for "net points" which are also known disparagingly as "monkey points" because they often end up being nothing due to "Hollywood accounting" claiming films such as The Empire Strikes Back and Tim Burton's Batman as financial losses. But Christopher Nolan gets something like 20% gross for his films, which is a big chunk.
I assume that because of COVID WB greatly scaled back on their ad plans for this movie, so it's probably not as much as 175M.

vhoanox

Oct 25, 2017
Vietnam
It's a disaster number if it was released last year for a movie over $200m budget. In covid-time it's pretty decent. So much about box office will change from now on.

OP
OP
Maple

Maple

Oct 27, 2017
It's a disaster number if it was released last year for a movie over $200m budget. In covid-time it's pretty decent. So much about box office will change from now on.

Dunkirk's budget was $190 million. Its international opening was $55.4 million. Final worldwide gross was $525 million.

The fact that Tenet did $53 million under the current circumstances is phenomenal, and would have still been pretty good even if it was released last year.

TheZynster

Oct 26, 2017
Don't go to the theatre during a global pandemic that is spread through aerosols and that has already caused 850k deaths worldwide. Have decency.

Drive-ins are cool though.

Yes, especially with fall/winter around the corner. Sit in theaters, restaurants and more feel like ticking time bombs. People can't even wear masks correctly in Walmart for crying out loud

vhoanox

Oct 25, 2017
Vietnam
Dunkirk's budget was $190 million. Its international opening was $55.4 million. Final worldwide gross was $525 million.

The fact that Tenet did $53 million under the current circumstances is phenomenal, and would have still been pretty good even if it was released last year.

No it's not. Direct comparison should be Inception not Dunkirk, no way WB want Tenet to only get Dunkirk money. In normal circumstances this is a billion dollars movie with $300m debut numbers. Only Avatar leg could get $53m opening to a billion.
First week is hype week, with WOM is not as good as Inception, let see how much it will end up.

I read somewhere if stateside dont make at least $100m to $150m, WB may consider delay Wonder Woman.

DrEvil

Developer
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
Canada
I went to a ciniplex in the GTA, I booked like 50 of the theatre for ppl I know. Ciniplex itself outside of the theatre was supper empty, so overall It was fine.

Side note, I hope the audio situation at your drive in theatre is good cause or else you're about to have a helluva confusing time

Just got back, audio seemed fine. Had no real confusing bits at all sound wise, so not sure what you're referring to.

Mekanos

â–˛ Legend â–˛
Oct 17, 2018
It's probably gonna be years before we get another billion dollar box office movie again. Crazy to think about.

Xater

Oct 26, 2017
Germany
I could watch it and chose not to. I'm not going to the cin ema during a pandemic. Gonna wait for the home release on this one.

Adventureracing

The Fallen
Nov 7, 2017
No it's not. Direct comparison should be Inception not Dunkirk, no way WB want Tenet to only get Dunkirk money. In normal circumstances this is a billion dollars movie with $300m debut numbers. Only Avatar leg could get $53m opening to a billion.
First week is hype week, with WOM is not as good as Inception, let see how much it will end up.

I read somewhere if stateside dont make at least $100m to $150m, WB may consider delay Wonder Woman.

Inception only grossed $830 million WW. Tenet was never going to be a guaranteed billion dollars, that's a crazy expectation.

You're also making the mistake of comparing this to normal times. With things the way they are a huge opening simply isn't possible. Limited seats, differing levels of lockdown/isolation etc. I'm not necessarily saying this movie will have above average legs but the possibility is certainly there. Nothing else of note is really releasing so it'll be in cinemas for a while.

I do agree though that the movie will likely end up having a disappointing box office run.

Martinski

Jan 15, 2019
Göteborg
Seems much better than I expected since how limited theatres are. Capacity in my local IMAX is at like a quarter or maybe even less than normal.

I wasn't too worried either since cases have pretty much tethered off last month or so here. Especially in my town and city.

Ephonk

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Belgium
My local cinema was sold out on openingsnight - but under currenct circumstances this meant ~40 people or so with a normal capacity of 190. Every second row was closed, and two seats on each side were occupied.

Oct 25, 2017
Good news for theatres too. I enjoyed watching it. Cinemas have been open here for months now (Netherlands), they just didn't have anything new to play.

Kevin360

OG Direct OP
Oct 25, 2017
Going to see it tonight in IMAX in Florida. Masked up, with only about 10 other people claiming seats so far. I'm not too stressed about it.

Tiago Rodrigues

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Nov 15, 2018
I read in a guardian article this movie needed to make $800 million just to break even, if that's true theres no way this movie is making that much in this climate.

This makes no sense. I read your article and I don't think there's a single movie out there that would need 800 million to breakeven. I mean the movie costs 230M...it's not like marketing costs would drive the break even point that much.

Deleted member 69501

User requested account closure
Banned
May 16, 2020
Just got back, audio seemed fine. Had no real confusing bits at all sound wise, so not sure what you're referring to.

I think it's general consensus at this point that the mix basically caused audio problems, or rather, obscured the dialogue.

But if you heard everything perfectly fine that's great !

#1 defender

Oct 27, 2017
This makes no sense. I read your article and I don't think there's a single movie out there that would need 800 million to breakeven. I mean the movie costs 230M...it's not like marketing costs would drive the break even point that much.

800 million might be exaggerated, but you have to take into account that the studio doesn't get the whole box office take, they have to split that with theaters. How exactly it gets split is complicated and i won't pretend to have great insight into that, other users here might know more. But for example, iirc one factor is that the studio gets a bigger share of opening weekends, after which it gets smaller each week. They also typically get smaller shares in overseas markets than domestic. Of course there's probably also some Hollywood accounting at play.

Halbrand

Oct 27, 2017
Big fan of all things Christopher Nolan, thought Inception was simple and straightforward. This was the most confusing movie I'd ever seen and as a result not very compelling. I might easily change my mind but at least initially it's my least favorite film of his. Even the music wasn't very memorable. I thought the audio mix was actually good in Interstellar but here I couldn't understand dialogue half the time. Action was great though.