• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Dreamboum

Oct 28, 2017
Tenchu's soundtrack is fantastic. They contextualized all their levels emotionally with powerful songs that perfectly encapsulates the mood they were going for.

The "Cure the Princess" mission with the music and the autumn forest during the night is so beautiful and expressive. Definitely check that tune

PadPoet

Lead Community Manager at Socialpoint
Verified
Oct 28, 2017
Barcelona
Tenchu's soundtrack is one of the PS1 greatest OSTs. The tracks are just mesmerizing.

Having said that, Jim Power on the Amiga where your avatar is from is also one of my favourites and it was one of the first games I could 1cc back in the days :)

These are two of my favourites

The last one really has to be seen with the ending. It has some spoilers but it's been 20+ years so I guess everyone knows what happens :)

Last edited:
Aug 30, 2020
You are so correct, although Punish the Evil Merchant is my favorite, it's on my regular playlist rotation.. I really miss this atmospheric ninja stealth action.

RecRoulette

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Yeah, the stage music was fantastic and it has one of my favorite boss fights of all time.

My personal favorite song, starts off super strong and then when the solo hits later on.

tenor.gif

Sesha

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 25, 2017
3 as well. The series generally has great music, with the exception of Tenchu 2, although that still has a couple standouts.

VanDoughnut

Oct 30, 2017
The music is special. Cross the Checkpoint is one of my favorites, but there's nothing but bangers in there.

Deleted member 17210

User-requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Yes, the soundtrack is awesome.

Also, MGS hogged all the attention in 1998 for stealth action but Tenchu was the better game.

genjiZERO

Banned
Jan 27, 2019
Richmond
Yeah the game and the music were fantastic. Back in the day I actually preferred it to MGS which came out at the same time. It was just so atmospheric and creepy.

waugh

Attempted to circumvent ban with an alt-account
Banned
Feb 21, 2020
I was playing Sekiro recently and it made me wonder if we'll ever see a new Tenchu game again. FROM owns it but they don't seem to be interested in the IP at all.

Foffy

Oct 25, 2017
I was playing Sekiro recently and it made me wonder if we'll ever see a new Tenchu game again. FROM owns it but they don't seem to be interested in the IP at all.

Originally Sekiro started as a new Tenchu game but the turned it into a new IP to not feel like they were copying previous developers works on the series.

Tenchu has always had good music. People sleep on these games.

El_TigroX

Oct 27, 2017
New York, NY
We bought Tenchu 1 at the time, because some magazine we read as teenagers said that it was good training for Metal Gear Solid 1 (which was coming out in a few months).

I remember sitting there with my buddy and when that music hit on the first mission, it BLEW our fucking minds with that humming and how sharp it all sounded. It was truly amazing. Still is - I hooked it up literally 2 weeks ago and played a bunch of this game - still holds up, gameplay and music.

waugh

Attempted to circumvent ban with an alt-account
Banned
Feb 21, 2020
Originally Sekiro started as a new Tenchu game but the turned it into a new IP to not feel like they were copying previous developers works on the series.

Tenchu has always had good music. People sleep on these games.

I know that. Which is why I wonder if we'll ever see the IP again.

Oct 27, 2017
Man, this is a nostalgia trip. Tenchu was a very memorable birthday gift for me back in the day and I loved every minute of it but I haven't played it or kept up with anything from it since. Now I want a remake.

Yuuber

Oct 28, 2017
Absolutely. I still remember some of the tunes... 20 something years ago.

Tenchu was fantastic overall. C'mon, FROM. Do your thing.

Oct 25, 2017
It's an amazing soundtrack, and I'd love for some future From Soft title to go for the same mood.

Also extremely underrated is the Otogi soundtrack. It's the Tenchu soundtrack filtered through hell.

SkyMasterson

Oct 28, 2017
I miss the Tenchu games so much. I feel like with the resurgence of those type of themed games, I'm hoping a new Tenchu comes out eventually.

Lyon

Jun 5, 2019
Tenchu's soundtrack is one of the PS1 greatest OSTs. The tracks are just mesmerizing.

Having said that, Jim Power on the Amiga where your avatar is from is also one of my favourites and it was one of the first games I could 1cc back in the days :)

These are two of my favourites

The last one really has to be seen with the ending. It has some spoilers but it's been 20+ years so I guess everyone knows what happens :)

Ending theme is awesome; I've always loved it. Would have fit right in on the Pure Moods CD back then.

Deleted member 51848

Jan 10, 2019
I can still remember the first level music from the amount of times I played the demo disc that came with the official mag! Awesome.

eso76

Prophet of Truth
Dec 8, 2017
Yeah, it was fantastic.
Haven't listened to it in a loooong time

kiriku

Oct 27, 2017
Wow, memories flooding back, played the original Tenchu so much back then. Great game! And of course great soundtrack too.