• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

EloKa

GSP
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
Tencent is pretty powerful and usually wins if they start to flex their muscles, like when the PUBG Corp had to drop its copyright infringement lawsuit against Epic due to them. I think Tencent doesn't own any shares in PUBG Corp / Bluehole but they bought the license for the chinese mobile version and this was already a powerful enough leverage to force the lawsuit drop against Epic.

OP
OP
Schlorgan

Schlorgan

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Salt Lake City, Utah
Tencent is pretty powerful and usually wins if they start to flex their muscles, like when the PUBG Corp had to drop its copyright infringement lawsuit against Epic due to them. I think Tencent doesn't own any shares in PUBG Corp / Bluehole but they bought the license for the chinese mobile version and this was already a powerful enough leverage to force the lawsuit drop against Epic.

They own part of Bluehole.

Jroc

Banned
Jun 9, 2018
I'm hesitant to use any software coming out of or influenced by China.

Yes I would rather be spied on by the home team.

J-Skee

The Wise Ones
Oct 25, 2017
After everything going on with the NBA & China, I'm a little worried with how much influence Tencent has on the industry.

Prine

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
They are also

WeChat is why people should be wary of Tencent regardless of their other investments we like.
Isnt WeChat a Chinese chat app? So might have a huge base but it's relatively unknown outside of China. Unlike Whatsapp which has a global reach.

DeoGame

Dec 11, 2018
medium.com

Chinese Company ‘Tencent’ May Buy Disney

After being crippled by Coronavirus, Disney may have no choice

I guess we can expect to see a lot more Chinese actors in our movies and a more sympathetic stance on the CCP. Better start learning mandarin
How is it Disney just dropped 73 billion on Fox but is now fighting for dear life? Do they not have the reserves the ride this out?

Either way, the biggest issue for them is gonna be the US Government which I don't think will take kindly to a foreign company with government ties trying to buy up an American institution in the wake of an economic recession started (in part) due to an overreliance on globalization.

COCONUT

Banned
Nov 6, 2017
I know it's not really related but I really wanna know the "power" in comparison with Valve for exemple

Weltall Zero

Game Developer
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Madrid
How is it Disney just dropped 73 billion on Fox but is now fighting for dear life? Do they not have the reserves the ride this out?

The article mentions them bleeding 30 million a day, I'm guessing from amusement parks and such.

I know it's not really related but I really wanna know the "power" in comparison with Valve for exemple

Cursory googling says that Valve's worth in billions is around the single digits, while Tencent's is on the triple digits. I actually thought the difference would be far more staggering than just two orders of magnitude.

Last edited:

GameBytes

Jan 22, 2019
"Tencent was one of the companies that helped Ubisoft fight off their hostile takeover by Vivendi"
Looks like they are doing the hostile takeover now. This will be great! No more private IP etc, CCP style!

Linkified

Dec 24, 2017
medium.com

I guess we can expect to see a lot more Chinese actors in our movies and a more sympathetic stance on the CCP. Better start learning mandarin

Considering the story came from the Chinese press and is the only one reporting it is a little suspicious. The only foreign company being reported on to buy shares was a Saudi firm. I'm sure if a Chinese company had but a bid in over nearly two months ago it would of been picked up by Variety/Hollywood Reporter/etc.

Link

EDIT:

The deal has yet to happen, so there's no reason to fret yet. We must also remember that all news media coming out of China should be taken with an enormous grain of salt.

That is in the article ....So why did he even create a post

Nikus

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
medium.com

Well if that blog dude read by a hundred people whose source is a dubious chinese article says it, it must be true.
(okay to be fair, that would not really surprise me from Tencent, but there's no reason to panic for the moment)

May 24, 2019

Kill3r7

Oct 25, 2017
I will say that Tencent is in the unique position to acquire certain companies without fear of antitrust issues which would be a major hurdle for any of the Tech giants acquiring a company like Disney.

DeoGame

Dec 11, 2018
The article mentions them bleeding 30 million a day, I'm guessing from amusement parks and such.

Cursory googling says that Valve's worth in billions is around the single digits, while Tencent's is on the triple digits. I actually thought the difference would be far more staggering than just two orders of magnitude.
Makes sense

King Kingo

Banned
Dec 3, 2019
Tencent coming out here like the mafia from Scorsese movies.

medium.com

Disney didn't want to be bought out by Comcast back in the day, they're not going to transfer their corporation over to a Chinese conglomerate.

Deleted member 48201

User requested account closure
Banned
Sep 29, 2018
What? None of this makes sense. Working with the government doesn't make you a part of it.

Tencent (and NetEase) both lost a lot of potential income during the licensing freeze while their competitors got approvals.

Ma Huateng the CEO of tencent is a member of the national people's Congress and the Shenzhen Municipal People's Congress. So he's definitely part of the government.

Last edited:

softfocus

Oct 30, 2017
At worst, Disney will allow 10-20% be owned by one company, so they can buy it back when they're profitable in a few years time.

Deleted member 6730

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
medium.com

This article was published a month ago and I don't know if you haven't noticed but every company is hurting from the Covid. Companies who can spend $80 billion on one purchase are doing just fine.

Wesley

Jan 10, 2018
klyrn0taoltegj1pchnv.jpg

Seriously what is this thread actually about? I don't see threads like this about other giant games companies.

Spine Crawler

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
tencent also is operating wechat , which is basically facebook, whatsapp, paypal in one. (and its supposedly a mass surveillance system)