• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Deleted member 135

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
They are also

WeChat is why people should be wary of Tencent regardless of their other investments we like.
Yep. WeChat is a tool of the CCP to monitor and oppress its citizens. Tencent actively participates in the horrible despotism and oppression in the PRC, including the oppression of the Uyghurs.

www.wired.com

Inside China's Massive Surveillance Operation

In Xinjiang, northwest China, the government is cracking down on the minority Muslim Uyghur population, keeping them under constant surveillance and throwing more than a million people into concentration camps. But in Istanbul, 3,000 miles away, a community of women who have escaped a life of...

One of the reasons I refuse to support Epic or the EGS is because I want as little of my money going to fund Tencent and the CCP as possible.

Aexact

Oct 30, 2017
Let me just repost this here:

"Dissidents, activists and protesters have long reported that their WeChat accounts have been monitored by police who have acted on such information. In September, a member of China's Hui Muslim minority group was sentenced to two years in prison for teaching the Koran in WeChat chat rooms. Last year, at least three Chinese citizens were arrested and jailed for making politically sensitive jokes on WeChat."
Yeah, Tencent is pretty influential but I'm kinda skeptical about this being a positive thing overall. They adhere to Chinese censorship policies and because China is such a huge potential market, outside markets work within their censorship limits. As far as regional differences go, that should be within expectations but it does feel worrying that companies are willing to compromise ethical values to the extent of building systems to assist the invasive privacy infrastructure to continue doing business in China.

Tencent has built their own short lived version of how video games affect your social credit score so it's worrying that they have so much influence. It may be confined to China now but it's still something to keep an eye on.

Gentlemen

Oct 25, 2017
Yep. WeChat is a tool of the CCP to monitor and oppress its citizens. Tencent actively participates in the horrible despotism and oppression in the PRC, including the oppression of the Uyghurs.

www.wired.com

In Xinjiang, northwest China, the government is cracking down on the minority Muslim Uyghur population, keeping them under constant surveillance and throwing more than a million people into concentration camps. But in Istanbul, 3,000 miles away, a community of women who have escaped a life of...

One of the reasons I refuse to support Epic or the EGS is because I want as little of my money going to fund Tencent and the CCP as possible.
You preordered the latest Call of Duty.

supkid

Oct 29, 2017
Dublin, Ireland

www.wired.com

I presume you also don't support Facebook, WhatsApp, Oculus, Microsoft, Apple etc. as they were all complicit in helping the American government spy on basically the entire world.. your money would also be helping to fund a horrible despotic racist right wing government who oppress their citizens and imprison children.

rocket

Oct 27, 2017

www.wired.com

Must every thread in the "Gaming Forum" section spiral down into another "Fuck Epic" topic and political pissing match which result in mod locks?

LQX

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I presume you also don't support Facebook, WhatsApp, Oculus, Microsoft, Apple etc. as they were all complicit in helping the American government spy on basically the entire world.. your money would also be helping to fund a horrible despotic racist right wing government who oppress their citizens and imprison children.
But has the American government been accused of harvesting organs from persecuted people? Has the American government used Facebook, WhatsApp, Oculus, Microsoft, and or Apple to find these people?

Falcon511

Oct 27, 2017
Yeah this is going to turn into a "who is worse thread: China or America". With people (China defenders) saying that they are equal even though that's not true.

Thrill_house

Oct 27, 2017
Yeah, I'm sure alot of us already know. CCP trying to get all up in our asses with fingers in so many pies.

Deleted member 4552

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Then why was Tencent targeted discriminately by the licensing freeze?

They are part of the government they don't control it. It's a poetic license in description.

You know very well how top down and arbitrary such governments can be. Especially one with a dictatorial leader, not to mention that the freeze, unfroze, you don't think they had anything to do with it, given their place in the parliament.

SushiReese

Oct 30, 2017
It is currently the largest company on Hong Kong's stock exchange.
I think Tencent's market'value is generally overstated.

Nome

Designer / Self-requested ban
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
NYC
They are part of the government they don't control it. It's a poetic license in description.

You know very well how top down and arbitrary such governments can be. Especially one with a dictatorial leader, not to mention that the freeze, unfroze, you don't think they had anything to do with it, given their place in the parliament.
What? None of this makes sense. Working with the government doesn't make you a part of it.

Tencent (and NetEase) both lost a lot of potential income during the licensing freeze while their competitors got approvals.

Deleted member 4552

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
What? None of this makes sense. Working with the government doesn't make you a part of it.

Tencent (and NetEase) both lost a lot of potential income during the licensing freeze while their competitors got approvals.

Read the link I provided. Pony Ma is part of the National People's Congress.

MegaXZero

One Winged Slayer
Jun 21, 2018
It would be hard to really care if it wasn't for how connected they are to the Chinese government. Hearing that they are involved in various companies from epic to Square to Ubisoft to Nintendo brings up unpleasant feelings given what the Chinese government does, especially with what has been in the news recently.

Jan 2, 2018
It would be hard to really care if it wasn't for how connected they are to the Chinese government. Hearing that they are involved in various companies from epic to Square to Ubisoft to Nintendo brings up unpleasant feelings given what the Chinese government does, especially with what has been in the news recently.

I think it's a benefit in the case of Nintendo, since Tencent will help them to gain access to the Chinese market.

subpar spatula

Refuses to Wash his Ass
Oct 26, 2017
China is so good at playing the long game.
Eh, this is just them throwing as much out there. Tencent isn't going to really take over as it's mainly just China and whatever places China can flex on. If the West really wanted to, it could crush Tencent. See, while Tencent has a lot of money and is protected by the CCP, it still generates a lot of income from foreign investments. China isn't the greatest source of wealth, so when there is backlash against Tencent and their dubious dealings with the CCP, you'll see some carnage similar to Huawei. Their long game isn't really a game, it's a sprint to see how long they last or if Tencent can survive without the CCP after the inevitable.

Tony Montana

Oct 27, 2017
I thought Disney was the biggest. Where can I see this?
Disney is quite small compared to a lot of these big tech companies. Microsoft, Apple, Alphabet, Amazon are all around 1 trillion, compared to 233 billion for Disney right now.

You can google the market cap for any public company or multiply the number of shares by the share price to get the most precise market cap at the time since it fluctuates a bit.

SapientWolf

Nov 6, 2017
There's a lot of discussion of Tencent when it comes to video games on this forum but I feel like most only see a part of the picture.

For a least a decade, Tencent has invested in and partnered with multiple video game companies to varying degrees.

Most know that they have 40% shares of Epic but that's not all they have.

Here are some other companies that Tencent is invested in or partnered with:

• Activision Blizzard - Tencent helped facilitate Activision's split from Vivendi and currently owns 5% shares.
  • Square Enix - Last year, Square Enix and Tencent entered into a partnership to make games together, currently nothing is announced.
  • Riot Games - Fully owned by Tencent
  • Ubisoft - Tencent was one of the companies that helped Ubisoft fight off their hostile takeover by Vivendi and currently owns 5% of shares.
  • Supercell - Fully owned by Tencent
  • Take-Two - Has been partnered with Tencent for years distributing games (mainly NBA 2K) in China.
  • Bluehole Games - Tencent invested heavily in Bluehole after PUBG blew up and currently owns 11% of shares.

Tencent has a current marketcap of $400B, only below Microsoft. They are twice the size of Disney.

They are way bigger and involved in way more things than you might think.
That might just be the companies where the holdings are notable. Couldn't they purchase shares in any publicly traded company they desired? Are they even required to disclose those holdings? Even a 5% or 10% stake allows the shareholder to push for a seat on the board.

The Epic situation is especially worth paying attention to because they're close to becoming the majority shareholder, which gives them significant influence in the management of the company. But the company currently isn't publicly traded.

Deleted member 48991

Banned
Oct 24, 2018
No that's a different Chinese company, Leyou Millenium.
A bit of a tangent... Actually it's "Ledo Millennium", which was supposed to be a subsidiary for "Leyou Technologies" (company listed on the HK stock exchange). I'm not sure if it still is though. "Leyou SNK Corporation" did show up on Leyou's 2017 list of subsidiaries (page 182 of http://leyoutech.com.hk/wp-content/uploads/2019/09/ltn20180420375.pdf) but disappeared in their 2018 list of subsidiaries (page 195 of http://leyoutech.com.hk/wp-content/uploads/2019/09/ltn20190417075.pdf). Leyou also does not list SNK as a subsidiary (http://leyoutech.com.hk/subsidiaries). Athlon Games, a subsidiary of Leyou, did publish SNK's Samurai Shodown in the west.

Meanwhile the entire acquisition of SNK was done through an investment by 37Games (another Chinese company) and an investment fund (Orient Securities).

Also note that Leyou was originally a vehicle for Perfect World to buy Digital Extremes, which failed for some reason (https://venturebeat.com/2017/09/02/...rom-chicken-meat-to-triple-a-game-publishing/). Probably they were planning a similar move with Leyou buying SNK.

Billy Awesomo

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
New York, New York
A bit of a tangent... Actually it's "Ledo Millennium", which was supposed to be a subsidiary for "Leyou Technologies" (company listed on the HK stock exchange). I'm not sure if it still is though. "Leyou SNK Corporation" did show up on Leyou's 2017 list of subsidiaries (page 182 of http://leyoutech.com.hk/wp-content/uploads/2019/09/ltn20180420375.pdf) but disappeared in their 2018 list of subsidiaries (page 195 of http://leyoutech.com.hk/wp-content/uploads/2019/09/ltn20190417075.pdf). Leyou also does not list SNK as a subsidiary (http://leyoutech.com.hk/subsidiaries). Athlon Games, a subsidiary of Leyou, did publish SNK's Samurai Shodown in the west.

Meanwhile the entire acquisition of SNK was done through an investment by 37Games (another Chinese company) and an investment fund (Orient Securities).

Also note that Leyou was originally a vehicle for Perfect World to buy Digital Extremes, which failed for some reason (https://venturebeat.com/2017/09/02/...rom-chicken-meat-to-triple-a-game-publishing/). Probably they were planning a similar move with Leyou buying SNK.

Err yes.. all of that. :D