• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

ggx2ac

Sales Heaven or Sales Hell?
Oct 25, 2017
More at the link: https://www.gamesindustry.biz/articles/2020-05-18-tencent-is-starting-a-aaa-studio-in-north-america

From the article:
Tencent is setting up a new AAA studio in North America, bringing in veteran developer Scott Warner to lead the operation.

Warner has an impressive track record in AAA: he was design director on Halo 4 at 343 Industries, game director on Battlefield Hardline at EA Visceral, and was most recently game director for Ubisoft in the San Francisco Bay Area.

___

You may remember from November last year that Tencent has plans to expand into the US and Europe to target console game players.

Link: https://www.resetera.com/threads/wsj-tencent-looks-to-leverage-its-nintendo-partnership-in-us-nintendo-wants-3rd-parties-to-make-games-for-women.152266/

And the quote:
Tencent is looking for growth in the US market supposedly due to China's restrictions on video games including curfews on playtime for children:
"What we want is to expand from China, and one target is console game players in the U.S. and Europe," said a Tencent official, who asked not to be identified. "We hope to create console games with Nintendo characters, and learn the essence of making console games from Nintendo engineers."

Edit:
Important clarification by Zhuge

twitter.com

Daniel Ahmad on Twitter

“A few errors in some of the articles covering this. Scott Warner (Ex EA/Ubi) is joining @timistudios, an already existing studio under Tencent (and the most famous one). TiMi already has an office in LA. The team most recently hired staff there for the Pokémon collab title...

Also:
twitter.com

Stefano Castelli on Twitter

“@ZhugeEX Do you think they (Tencent) may want to stay more in the "AAA" retail market (maybe also developing single-player esperiences)?”

Last edited:

Soph

Oct 25, 2017
"We hope to create console games with Nintendo characters, and learn the essence of making console games from Nintendo engineers."

What? That's certainly an interesting statement.

Oregano

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
"We hope to create console games with Nintendo characters, and learn the essence of making console games from Nintendo engineers."

What? That's certainly an interesting statement.

Tencent is the officially distributor of Switch/Nintendo games in China so it's not that weird, but I doubt the aim for this AAA American studio is to make Switch exclusives.

Raide

Banned
Oct 31, 2017
Only just setting up? Guess we have another few years till they have something.

Soph

Oct 25, 2017
Tencent is the officially distributor of Switch/Nintendo games in China so it's not that weird, but I doubt the aim for this AAA American studio is to make Switch exclusives.

The only logical conclusion is that Tencent is opening the studio to make AAA games for Switch where you play in a Call of Duty / Halo like shooter as Birdo shooting eggs to err... romance people aimed at women.

Last edited:
Apr 16, 2020
Any Chinese based company is strictly speaking answering to the CCP, so I think it's more than fair to be skeptical of any Chinese company. With that said, Recent hasn't done anything wrong that we know of. Yet.

Homura

▲ Legend ▲
Aug 20, 2019
Nintendo please don't fall under China's dictatorship like Blizzard.

ivan.k

Banned
Dec 30, 2017
Moscow
Warner has an impressive track record in AAA: he was design director on Halo 4 at 343 Industries, game director on Battlefield Hardline at EA Visceral, and was most recently game director for Ubisoft in the San Francisco Bay Area.
Is this a joke? There was nothing impressive in Halo 4 or Hardline. Low tier games in Halo/BF franchises

Black_Stride

Avenger
Oct 28, 2017
Let's agree to disagree then. Both campaigns were FAR from being amazing, but that's just my opinion.

Luckily the opinions of one no one are meaningless.
Halo has a high MC and Hardlines campaign was praised while the MP was lacking yet it still managed a 70+ MC.

So this quote is still accurate:

iSnakeTK

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
User Banned (duration pending): Xenophobia.
Great, more chinese influence in the western world is exactly what we need.

kennyamr

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
New York, NY, USA
Until their gov stops being as nasty as they are, I would probably never feel comfortable buying anything directly (100%) financed by a Chinese company. Just my personal take.

waugh

Attempted to circumvent ban with an alt-account
Banned
Feb 21, 2020
So they're going to be working on AAA GaS multiplayer stuff. No interest from me.