• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

DeoGame

Dec 11, 2018
This is coming from BILD, a large German News imprint (and apparently a tabloid). Apparently, there are possibly National Security issues with this move? I must admit, I did not know Crytek did Military simulations. I know Yager does and that one seemed to go through ok.

China-Konzern will deutsche Gaming-Firma kaufen: Wegen Kriegs-Simulationssoftware? - Politik Ausland - Bild.de

EDIT: Apparently Bild is something of a Tabloid. I'm ootl as a Canadian who had never heard of it. So take with a grain of salt, and mods can close if they feel it's appropriate.

EDIT 2: Daniel Ahmad has chimed in as well here https://twitter.com/ZhugeEX/status/1415054275105992711?s=20 (check threadmarks for the media, I can't add any more).

Basically, seems this source is kinda all crap. Sorry guys, I saw the blue checkmark for the reporter and magazine, the 1.5 million followers and read the description, but not a ton more. Shoulda done more due-dilligence. The source seems crap.

Last edited:
Further Elaboration on BILD

Jay_AD

Oct 28, 2017
Just a heads up that BILD is basically the German Sun. They sensationalize like hell and are basically a far-right mouthpiece shit rag.

There's probably something to this, but I'd take their reporting and editorializing with a huge pinch of salt.

Phil me in

Nov 22, 2018
User Banned (1 Month): Sinophobia.
At this point the world needs to put a firewall around China

OP
OP
DeoGame

DeoGame

Dec 11, 2018
Just a heads up that BILD is basically the German Sun. They sensationalise like hell and are basically a right-wing shit rag.

There may be something to this, but BILD is not a credible source.
Somebody just pointed that out to me on XboxEra. Tried amending the title. Could easily just be sensationalist nonsense.

Oregano

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Well that would certainly re-contextualise any rumour about Microsoft buying out Crytek...

Azai

Jun 10, 2020
I doubt that this goes through if the gouvernment already has concerns about national security and even employees see it comming...

Also, good by Crysis and Hunt then...

The Lord of Cereal

#REFANTAZIO SWEEP
Jan 9, 2020
Figured Crytek would get bought by someone sooner or later, but damn. That's also pretty crazy to me that the Crytek employees are allegedly afraid of the buyout too, but I guess racism is everywhere.

I'm still just curious on Tencent's endgame with gaming is honestly, their investments have been extremely random and inconsistent and they don't really have much in the way of services or a presence in the west really.

Jay_AD

Oct 28, 2017
Figured Crytek would get bought by someone sooner or later, but damn. That's also pretty crazy to me that the Crytek employees are allegedly afraid of the buyout too, but I guess racism is everywhere.

Again, that might be BILD trying to stir up xenophobic sentiments. They do this constantly, often without base.

Gentlemen

Oct 25, 2017
The uncritical parroting of sinophobic 'they're gonna spy on us' rhetoric tells you everything about what to believe from this reporter.

Raftina

Jun 27, 2020
Here is the list of Tencent's gaming investments in the first half of 2021:
news.pedaily.cn

腾讯越来越不懂游戏了_投资界

腾讯越来越不懂游戏了,腾讯的嗅觉正变得迟钝,先后错失《恋与制作人》《原神》后才开始在二次元、女性向细分品类寻找替代的“潜力股”。

2021791235589490.jpg

Somehow I doubt Tencent is after Crytek for its military simulation prowess.

danhz

Apr 20, 2018
Editing because there cant be non serious post.
I would step up if I were ms and tencent is trying to get them.
New ryse + hunt 2 would be dope for Xbox.

Last edited:
Oct 28, 2017
I always have to chuckle when I'm reading that a Chinese company claims to be """independent""".

But then again, Jack Ma probably also thought he was independent with Alibaba...

Orion117

Prophet of Regret - A King's Landing
Dec 8, 2018
That Tencent pic with chinese flag is pretty clear indication of what the intent is with this article. I doubt those crytek employee qoutes are genuine even. Tenecent might be interested in Crytek but i doubt its for whatever they are selling to the military.

sialnez

Oct 27, 2017
Just a heads up that BILD is basically the German Sun. They sensationalize like hell and are basically a far-right mouthpiece shit rag.

There's probably something to this, but I'd take their reporting and editorializing with a huge pinch of salt.
To add to this, even by BILD standards, Röpcke is a special kind of breed, mostly on par with hacks like Schuler and Piatov.

Pyro

God help us the mods are making weekend threads
Jul 30, 2018
United States

Edit: Beaten lol. Saw this and decided to not give it any mind. Companies are always in talks.

Raigor

May 14, 2020
€300 million seems incredibly low.

CryEngine tech + the military stuff and Crysis are this cheap and nobody from the major publishers tried to acquire them?

Where's Embracer when you need them lol

Spine Crawler

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
while bild is not the most reputable outlet, it doesnt necessarily mean this story is completely fake. Tencent is shareholder of Epic so buying crytek would surprise me at all. I dont know about the military angle. Didnt know crytek was so deep in that business. If that is true the deal could get blown off as it is subject to governmental approval if anything military related is being sold off to a foreign investor.

Trago

Oct 25, 2017
Whoever buys them should fund Ryse 2.

The game was pretty basic, but had serious potential for a sequel.

Golbez

Oct 20, 2020
...Crytek supplies armies with military software? Huh. The more you know

As for Tencent being pro-CCP, no shit. I'm pretty sure no company is allowed to do business in China if they're anti-CCP lol

Deleted member 10737

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
i don't buy it, plus the price seems way too cheap. that what they would have cost in 2018/2019, these days a company with their tech and IPs would be worth way more.

Status
Not open for further replies.