• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

PlanetSmasher

The Abominable Showman
Oct 25, 2017
I dont play cloud only and it isnt a good option for my online games to begin with (lol playing fifa, age of empires, battlefield, nba, over the cloud online), cloud is for thingsd like football manager and tropico outside if they are an option, at home I will always play on my hardware.

Anyway that is neither here nor there, tencent is the worst option due to reasons unrelated to game availability, if google, apple, amazon and facebook buy a company and I never play their games again I would still prefer it over tencent.

How are they the worst option? Is there an actual reason or is it just "China is scary"?

Oct 25, 2017
All of you saying TenCent means multi-platform, are you aware that they are building out their own cloud infrastructure globally? They started testing their own game streaming service back in 2019 and continued into 2020. It is a matter of time (probably very long) before they launch their own service and when they get more selective about what goes multi-platform.
So it's sometime down the line, a very long time from now vs. someone being selective *now*?

Oct 31, 2017
I could see why Bungie would be an attractive target if they own the Destiny IP (right???) and are in the middle of planning another big self financed, property there might be a lot of room for growth in the next couple of years if TenCent for looking for exploitable, cross platform properties.

They do.

And a good target for acquisition too.

Marano

Mar 30, 2018
Rio de Janeiro
How are they the worst option? Is there an actual reason or is it just "China is scary"?
This is the stuff that comes out through the cracks:

www.resetera.com

Tencent is reportedly raising several $ billion to buy a U.S. or Korean gaming company Rumor

They have ties to the social credit system, surveilled foreign consumers and I have attached a video from a Youtuber I admire that goes into more detail than I ever could. https://www.cnbc.com/2019/09/04/china-plans-for-corporate-social-credit-system-eu-sinolytics-report.html...

We have no idea what is behind the curtains and I dont wanna think about it.

Imagine tencent buying take2?

Yeah we should not want that.

PlanetSmasher

The Abominable Showman
Oct 25, 2017

www.resetera.com

Tencent is reportedly raising several $ billion to buy a U.S. or Korean gaming company Rumor

They have ties to the social credit system, surveilled foreign consumers and I have attached a video from a Youtuber I admire that goes into more detail than I ever could. https://www.cnbc.com/2019/09/04/china-plans-for-corporate-social-credit-system-eu-sinolytics-report.html...

I don't want consolidation in general. But if the choices are Tencent or Microsoft, I'll go with the choice that results in me NOT getting less games.

Kill3r7

Oct 25, 2017
TakeTwo is pretty undervalued considering they have Rockstar and 2K (Visual Concepts). If they could improve the rest of their output they can be on EA's tail.

Iron Eddie

Banned
Nov 25, 2019
I can't believe that people still continue to use Insomniac argument. It is very hypocritical to compare big third party publisher with a studio that mostly has been second party in it's history. And when we compare acquisition by SIE with Tencent and Microsoft, the result is...

Inorganic growth is something absolutely natural. But i think that inorganic growth is not necessarily consolidation.

I don't know why you are struggling with the fact Sony has over time built up a good stable of developers from within and from acquisitions. Seems to me those who have the biggest beef are those who likely found multiple reasons to not buy an Xbox and now they might have to if they want to play certain games. So what did you think Microsoft was going to do, nothing and allow Sony to once again steamroll over them while they use that leverage against them with third party deals?

It was no secret Sony was already getting their hands on games like Deathloop and the rumors are they wanted Starfield. Microsoft has been more active because they finally have the support of the CEO. They never had this kind of support before.

TakeTwo is pretty undervalued considering they have Rockstar and 2K (Visual Concepts). If they could improve the rest of their output they can be on EA's tail.

This is where I don't see any of the console makers to go after that. Rockstar does not make enough games to warrant the price they would have to pay and then keep them exclusive. This is where I think Tencent would actually make more sense.

Last edited:

Vommy

Chicken Chaser
Oct 27, 2017
Activition is too big. 2K would be crazy to see, well any big studio will be crazy at least for me.

Oct 25, 2017

www.resetera.com

If this is a real concern then this should be one as well, right?

www.theguardian.com

Microsoft handed the NSA access to encrypted messages

Documents show company collaborated closely with NSA and FBI to help agencies intercept data

Report: Microsoft collaborated closely with NSA

A new report from the Guardian newspaper claims Microsoft willingly collaborated with the NSA on users' data.

www.nbcnews.com

'We did not sign up to develop weapons': Microsoft workers protest $480m HoloLens military deal

The open letter comes days before Microsoft is expected to unveil HoloLens 2, an upgraded version of its augmented reality headset, at an event Sunday.

www.businessinsider.com

Despite internal uproar, Microsoft CEO Satya Nadella says the company is not cancelling its contract with the US Army

Microsoft is providing the US military with Hololens augmented reality headsets to help soldiers increase 'lethality, mobility and situational awareness.'

Fabtacular

Jul 11, 2019
Don't worry about Tencent buying Take Two / Rockstar and making GTA exclusive to some service.

The economics of that approach simply don't work out. You'd be knee-capping the revenue streams you're implicitly paying for in the acquisition.

No matter what your economic model, at a certain point the opportunity cost becomes too great.

IIFloodyII

Oct 26, 2017
Who is Tencent and why are they so aggressive about gaming?
They are already the biggest game corporation in the world, they wanna keep that I guess. As for who, they are a huge technology and media conglomerate, too much to list, but gaming wise League of Legends is probably their biggest I.P.

Desodeset

May 31, 2019
Sofia, Bulgaria

www.theguardian.com

Documents show company collaborated closely with NSA and FBI to help agencies intercept data

A new report from the Guardian newspaper claims Microsoft willingly collaborated with the NSA on users' data.

www.nbcnews.com

'We did not sign up to develop weapons': Microsoft workers protest $480m HoloLens military deal

The open letter comes days before Microsoft is expected to unveil HoloLens 2, an upgraded version of its augmented reality headset, at an event Sunday.

www.businessinsider.com

Despite internal uproar, Microsoft CEO Satya Nadella says the company is not cancelling its contract with the US Army

Microsoft is providing the US military with Hololens augmented reality headsets to help soldiers increase 'lethality, mobility and situational awareness.'

Microsoft productivity score feature criticised as workplace surveillance

THE MICROSOFT POLICE STATE: MASS SURVEILLANCE, FACIAL RECOGNITION, AND THE AZURE CLOUD

Their hands are not clean.

As for that Take Two rumor, i don't think it's plausible. Take Two won't sell before GTA 6 release. Their stocks will skyrocket in that moment (eventually).

pg2g

Dec 18, 2018
I still wonder what Tencent's end game is. Do they just like owning gaming companies? Are they releasing a subscription service?

OP
OP
Uzupedro

Uzupedro

Banned
May 16, 2020
Rio de Janeiro
I still wonder what Tencent's end game is. Do they just like owning gaming companies? Are they releasing a subscription service?
They are already the ''biggest'' in several aspects.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tencent
Tencent is the world's largest video game vendor,[SUP][4][/SUP] as well as one of the most financially valuable companies.[SUP][5][/SUP] It is among the largest social media,[SUP][6][/SUP] venture capital, and investment corporations.[SUP][7][/SUP][SUP][8][/SUP] Its services include social network, music, web portals, e-commerce, mobile games, internet services, payment systems, smartphones, and multiplayer online games.[SUP][9][/SUP] Offerings in China include the instant messengers Tencent QQ and WeChat, and one of the largest web portals, QQ.com.[SUP][10][/SUP] It also owns the majority of Global's music services (Tencent Music Entertainment), with more than 700 million active users and 120 million paying subscribers.
They are just putting its roots on gaming more and more, mid year they did this for example:
Tencent Kicks Off Deal to Create $10 Billion Streaming Giant
https://finance.yahoo.com/news/tencent-kicks-off-deal-create-115255364.html

Timppis

Banned
Apr 27, 2018

sacrament

Banned
Dec 16, 2019
Microsoft productivity score feature criticised as workplace surveillance

THE MICROSOFT POLICE STATE: MASS SURVEILLANCE, FACIAL RECOGNITION, AND THE AZURE CLOUD

Their hands are not clean.

As for that Take Two rumor, i don't think it's plausible. Take Two won't sell before GTA 6 release. Their stocks will skyrocket in that moment (eventually).

No one is saying MS 's hands are clean - but don't need to do a whataboutism to justify Tencent's acquisitions.

T0kenAussie

Jan 15, 2020

www.theguardian.com

www.nbcnews.com

www.businessinsider.com

When the US government has board members and stakes in Microsoft this will be more relevant

BobLoblaw

This Guy Helps
Oct 27, 2017
As long as games are available on PC, I'm good. I can understand the concern, though. (Basically, f.u. Got mine).

TheRulingRing

Banned
Apr 6, 2018
Talk about Tencent without resorting to western propaganda challenge; already failed.

Western propaganda? Get outta here.

They co-operate happily with the government engaging in a blatant and unapologetic holocaust right now. Less money going straight to China is a win.

And don't give me some bullshit false equivalence about "America too". I'm not even American lol

G-X

Oct 28, 2017
Likely options
Bungie
Krafton
Square Enix Western Studios aka Eidos/Crystal Dynamics - this seems like an impossible breakup just waiting to happen

Less likely
Take Two
Techland

Unlikely to impossible
Every other major company I can think of, ea, Activision, 1sf parties ect

Last edited:

sacrament

Banned
Dec 16, 2019
People are saying tencent since they keep things multiplatform and are hands off .
If want to talk other reasons that is another matter than what is best for most people .

Then that's an argument against Sony/Nintendo/MS from ever acquiring which seems.... wrong, and too broad a comment. It's also not consistent since there are asterisks to those lists and decisions. And I'm not sure Tencent has a long term vision of being hands off - they are in too many industries doing too many things to feel super confident where they will end up. And any violations legally or otherwise isn't super transparent or clear whereas MS/etc has Euro/US regulators using a pretty firm hand to keep them on track.

gundamkyoukai

Oct 25, 2017
Then that's an argument against Sony/Nintendo/MS from ever acquiring which seems.... wrong, and too broad a comment. It's also not consistent since there are asterisks to those lists and decisions. And I'm not sure Tencent has a long term vision of being hands off - they are in too many industries doing too many things to feel super confident where they will end up. And any violations legally or otherwise isn't super transparent or clear whereas MS/etc has Euro/US regulators using a pretty firm hand to keep them on track.

Tencent has been buying up companies for years now and has been hands off.
Yes maybe in the future they will start there own service .
As for now them buying anyone does not have a major effect to any consumer base unlike Sony\MS or Nintendo does.
Also it's not like Tencent can do what ever they want they still have to follow rules and laws of EU\USA etc etc .

Kill3r7

Oct 25, 2017
Anyone thinking that Ubi is the target is undervaluing the company by several billions.

It's the pubg people.

Anyone guessing EA or Activision is just sincredibly ignorant or trolling.

You do realize that Krafton upcoming IPO has them valued at $27Billion. Significantly higher than Ubi.

Nov 6, 2017
What?

Crystal Dynamics is most certainly California based, and Eidos Montreal is in Montreal, in combination with Square Enix Inc, the localization and publishing branch for North America, it would be a strategic package.

Forgot about Crystal Dynamics but Eidos Montreal is just a branch of an English company - the "Eidos" bit of Square Enix is as American as Ubisoft (mentioned earlier) is