• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

DeoGame

Dec 11, 2018
What is the issue with Tencent? I know they're Chinese and there's a worry that they're linked to CCP, but I don't know whether there's reasonable evidence for that or whether it's just anti Chinese racism.
They have ties to the social credit system, surveilled foreign consumers and I have attached a video from a Youtuber I admire that goes into more detail than I ever could.

www.cnbc.com

China is building a 'comprehensive system' for tracking companies' activities, report says

The corporate "credit system" that China is launching will require businesses — foreign and local alike — to share more data than ever before.

www.cnbc.com

Chinese tech giant Tencent reportedly surveilled foreign users of WeChat to help censorship at home

Chinese internet giant Tencent has been surveilling content posted by foreign users on its wildly popular messaging service WeChat in order to help it refine censorship on its platform at home, according to a new report.

www.wsj.com

WeChat Becomes a Powerful Surveillance Tool Everywhere in China

China’s do-everything app, WeChat, has become one of the most powerful tools in Beijing’s arsenal for monitoring the public, censoring speech and punishing people who voice discontent with the government.

Starmud

Oct 27, 2017
Nexon... they tried selling it but the price was too high, company is lacking any future direction for its IP and needs a buyer. Strong foot hold in Asia, spending money to expand in NA with embark, already has deal with Tencent.

VirtualCloud

Aug 3, 2018
man I cannot wait to read the reactions on here when amazon or google scoop someone notable up, sadly there's a good chance this will keep happening throughout the year but it is what it is. Pretty crazy to imagine what the gaming industry will look like in 5 years time

Deleted member 81119

User-requested account closure
Banned
Sep 19, 2020
They have ties to the social credit system, surveilled foreign consumers and I have attached a video from a Youtuber I admire that goes into more detail than I ever could.

www.cnbc.com

China is building a 'comprehensive system' for tracking companies' activities, report says

The corporate "credit system" that China is launching will require businesses — foreign and local alike — to share more data than ever before.

www.cnbc.com

Chinese tech giant Tencent reportedly surveilled foreign users of WeChat to help censorship at home

Chinese internet giant Tencent has been surveilling content posted by foreign users on its wildly popular messaging service WeChat in order to help it refine censorship on its platform at home, according to a new report.

www.wsj.com

China’s do-everything app, WeChat, has become one of the most powerful tools in Beijing’s arsenal for monitoring the public, censoring speech and punishing people who voice discontent with the government.

I...did not know this.

Raigor

May 14, 2020
Microsoft is literally part of the problem though and are doing their part to help fuel this consolidation of the industry.

Miss me with this, industry consolidation has been a thing for years, MS didn't start it and they won't be at the end of it.

Publishers merging with other publishers is common, publishers buying studios is also common.

This is nothing new in the industry, unless you are living under the rock and you woke up when MS acquired Bethesda.

Oct 25, 2017
Miami, FL

www.cnbc.com

www.cnbc.com

www.wsj.com

good info. tyvm.

jelly

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Company receiving offer "Hello, Microsoft, we were offered this.....asking just in case your interested"

You would have to surely, even if it was just to up the price.

Deleted member 81119

Banned
Sep 19, 2020
Miss me with this, industry consolidation has been a thing for years, MS didn't start it and they won't be at the end of it.

Publishers merging with other publishers is common, publishers buying studios is also common.

This is nothing new in the industry, unless you are living under the rock and you woke up when MS acquired Bethesda.
They didn't say MS started it, they said MS fuelled it, and there's no denying MS' aggressive acquisition strategy is escalating the situation.

PSOreo

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
No thanks, fuck off Tencent. The way they are slowly encroaching their way through the gaming market is scary. They have their fingers in a lot pies and you'll begin to see their influence soon enough much like Hollywood was doing for Chinese cinemas. Not that is always a bad thing.

Expy

Oct 26, 2017

Which other major publishers have bought out another major publisher other than Microsoft?

Pryme

Aug 23, 2018
They didn't say MS started it, they said MS fuelled it, and there's no denying MS' aggressive acquisition strategy is escalating the situation.

THQ Nordic has been aggressively acquiring studios for years now. Why aren't they the ones being accused of 'escalating the situation'?

Raigor

May 14, 2020

MS fueled nothing, they had a chance with Bethesda and they took it, they offered money to small studios and they acquired them.

Embracer has acquired more than 20 different studios in the last 3 years and you don't see people saying that Embracer is fueling consolidation.
Nacon did the same
EA and Sony when saw the opportunity did the same with Respawn, Codemasters and Insomniac Games.

This is nothing NEW, are we all forgetting Eidos and Square Enix merger? SEGA Europe massive acquisition spree? Tecmo and Koei? Namco and Bandai? Activision and Blizzard? Come on now.

SuzanoSho

Dec 25, 2017
When they say "raising", they mean simply lifting the comparatively negligible sum out of their coffers...

OP
OP
Uzupedro

Uzupedro

Banned
May 16, 2020
Rio de Janeiro

Which big gaming company hasn't dabbled in acquisition in the past?

It's an industry norm at this point
Toumari was quoting two posts asking "MS to save us from Tencent", in this context MS, and most big gaming companies, are also "part of the problem"(Which may or not be a problem depending on your opinion on the subject), there is no savior in this situation.

orochi91

Oct 26, 2017
Canada

www.cnbc.com

www.cnbc.com

www.wsj.com

Welp

CCP seems to have their claws in so many industries.

D:

Raigor

May 14, 2020
Toumari was quoting two posts asking "MS to save us from Tencent", in this context MS, and most big gaming companies, are also "part of the problem", there is no savior in this situation.

There's no problem, this is business, gaming is a multi-billion dollar industry and like all industries acquisitions and mergers are common, there's nothing wrong with this lol

Dec 27, 2019
Seattle
EA with Codemasters.

or Eidos and Square Enix
or Activision and Blizzard

This is all common in the industry
Worth remembering that Blizzard itself was previously owned by Vivendi and Davidson before being bought up by Activision. They've been owned by 3 different companies over the past 30 years. So yeah, it's not a new thing at all.

Deleted member 81119

Banned
Sep 19, 2020
EA with Codemasters.

or Eidos and Square Enix
or Activision and Blizzard

This is all common in the industry
These are extremely infrequent, and also not good for the industry. No one was cheerleading Activision buying Blizzard. MS has made a series of acquisitions in a short time, including possibly one of the biggest ever, and they're not done. Saying MS aren't being particularly aggressive here is not arguing in good faith.

Raigor

May 14, 2020
These are extremely infrequent, and also not good for the industry. No one was cheerleading Activision buying Blizzard. MS has made a series of acquisitions in a short time, including possibly one of the biggest ever, and they're not done. Saying MS aren't being particularly aggressive here is not arguing in good faith.

Who is cheerleading or saying MS is not agressive? Not me.

I'm telling you and all the people crying because apparently MS is fueling consolation when this always happened in various periods of times when publishers had the money to spend, and Embracer was way more aggressive than MS.

headspawn

Oct 27, 2017
Which other major publishers have bought out another major publisher other than Microsoft?

Tencent
Bandai
Activision Blizzard
Vivendi
Nordic Games

Probably some others I can't recall right now, I guess Sony would be on this list too if they didn't lose their bid to Tencent

Last edited:

Yerffej

Prophet of Regret
Oct 25, 2017
What exactly do you consider frequent, and what do you compare it to? These are enough examples to show you it's not an irregularity.

Raigor

May 14, 2020
These are extremely infrequent

In the last 20 years, 5 publisher disappeared because they either merged in one entity (SQUARE ENIX, TECMO KOEI, NAMCO BANDAI) or disappeared entirely, see Midway or THQ Nordic.

Acqusition are extremely common and frequent when corps have cash available at hand, case in point, Embracer has 4 publisher and they all appeared thanks to mergers/acquisitions in the last 3-4 years.

Deleted member 81119

Banned
Sep 19, 2020
Who is cheerleading or saying MS is not agressive? Not me.

I'm telling you and all the people crying because apparently MS is fueling consolation when this always happened in various periods of times when publishers had the money to spend, and Embracer was way more aggressive than MS.
I certainly think the jury is out there on whether MS aggressive acquisitions strategy is causing other companies to pursue their own acquisitions, or whether this is business as usual. But as for 'who is cheerleading MS'? That's how this got started. Literally people cheerleading MS to make more acquisitions in this very thread.

EDIT: Also did you use three examples of mergers to show that large scale acquisitions are frequent?