• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Brhoom

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Kuwait
I've played %99 of the game in single-player, I don't think I'll ever touch this game again.

My God did it age poorly.

lucablight

Oct 27, 2017
I've played every mainline title in the series apart from 5 and 6 so I decided to finally try this out last month. I don't even know what I'm playing. It seems like they turned resident evil into a generic shooter. I found it so soulless. I'll try and get around to finishing it but my first impressions aren't great. Also graphically speaking the game has not aged well.

Kromeo

Oct 27, 2017
I know it's not that important to the game but the cutscenes and dialogue are so apallingly bad even by RE standards, why people want to see Sheva again I will never understand

Doober

Banned
Jun 10, 2018
The bitch of it is the early brainstorming for RE5 suggested a game that could have been rather neat, i.e. juxtaposing bright but oppressive daylight areas with your usual dark places that Chris's vision would need time to adjust to.

Instead we got co-op shootybang.

Nov 11, 2017
I mean, it's still super racist so I can't get through it.
I mean, they changed it before release because of the backlash. The zombies have a pretty broad spectrum of races in the final game, despite the fact that it's set in rural Africa where that would just not be the case realistically (Not that RE has ever much concerned itself with realism anyway). There's really not much else they could have done short of changing the setting entirely.

Anyway, as a follow-up to 4 the game pales in comparison in just about every way except the co-op. I had a lot of fun playing through with a friend back in the day, but I wouldn't want to play the game by myself.

Tyaren

Character Artist
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
Loved it back then. Not quite as good as RE4, but I still had lots of fun.

Roach

Nov 5, 2018
I actually really liked it at the time and it was a mostly good if not great experience. I imagine these sentiments will/have been echoed but the game's identity confusion tended to lead to most of my problems with it. It seemed to be a bit confused on whether the design focus was on playing single-player or co-op and certain gameplay decisions ended up making both options feel a bit weaker as a result of not prioritizing one, and of course it seemed even more at odds with it's horror heritage than RE4 ( one of my favorite games of all time) in terms of balancing the horror/action.

That said my biggest issue was the feeling of deja vu that kept cropping up with various boss fights/set pieces in terms of reflection similar scenarios in RE4 ( like the first town setpiece/fight with the executioner) Stuff was good just felt like I'd done it before, and of course some new stuff falling flat like the gun-wielding enemies later on.

The one part that really stood out was the El Gigante boss fight which was essentially just a turret section, I remembered seeing screenshots and getting excited about a hypothetical night-time showdown with it featuring some real-time destruction in a small town or something, and ended up getting that instead lol. Overall it was still a pretty good action game with solid mechanics, lots of good boss fights/enemy variety and some good tunes to boot.

Oct 28, 2017
Brazil
It is a very fun action game with elements of horror. The partner AI can be a bit slow sometimes, but the overall experience is awesome.

Also CHREEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEES!!!

Herb Alpert

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Paris, France
I tried it yesterday for the first time.
I found really difficult mainly due to your dumb ai partner. I had issue in the first ten minutes...

Kromeo

Oct 27, 2017
I mean, they changed it before release because of the backlash. The zombies have a pretty broad spectrum of races in the final game, despite the fact that it's set in rural Africa where that would just not be the case realistically (Not that RE has ever much concerned itself with realism anyway). There's really not much else they could have done short of changing the setting entirely.

Anyway, as a follow-up to 4 the game pales in comparison in just about every way except the co-op. I had a lot of fun playing through with a friend back in the day, but I wouldn't want to play the game by myself.

I think it was more that the game suddenly has you fighting people with tribal masks and spears half way through, with some nonsense "the parasite made them do it" explanation

FRS1987

Oct 31, 2017
New Jersey
I really enjoyed it single and multiplayer. Multiplayer was obviously Superior but with the A.I i specifically gave Sheva different guns with different ammos and only 1 healing item. I mainly used TMP and the knife and a sniper rifle and didn't have issues.

Prine

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Middling and unremarkable. Great co-op, poor RE.

After the brilliant RE4, RE hasnt been the same. That changed with RE2 REmake for me. Its the quintessential RE experience, unnerving horror atmosphere, slowed down shooting mechanics (not as much action as RE4) with continuous tension and above all else, Zombies! I've always felt the deliberately ambiguous, hive minded infected enemies were a poor replacement for the horrifying, decaying, walking corpses. I also thought RE7 FPS was substandard and fell apart after the first half.

RE is back with RE2 Remake, pray for 8 we continue with RE2 style 3rd person shooting & atmosphere.

Last edited:

Tabs2002

Feb 1, 2018
Has it really been 10 years? Wow, time flies. I didn't think it was great but I had lots of fun with it.

Kazuhira

Oct 26, 2017
Played it solo all the time,never had a issue with the ai except on Pro,but anything takes you to danger state in that mode so we both die a shit ton without infinite ammo.
Also,they never fail qtes/prompts and have aim bot accuracy so it's useful.
I think it's a great game with both coop and solo.

Oct 25, 2017
RE5 was fine as a single player game, i've run through it multiple times.
The game is noticeably weaker in single player but it still works.

Really the fact that the game is supposed to be co-op only rears its ugly head when you are playing on veteran or professional difficulties.

TheOne

Alt Account
Banned
May 25, 2019
Loved the campaign in CO-OP. Played it with a friend when the game came out on PS4 and we had a blast. I tried doing the campaign back then when it came out on 360 and PS3 playing alone and just found it incredibly boring with sheva being a real shit AI.

StallionDan

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Bad players like to blame the AI but it's more than capable on anything but Professional difficulty (most notably the 2v2 fight), provided you actually arm it and don't use it as a mule. Claims like it wastes healing items are BS too.

Overall it's a great SP game. As a co-op game it one of the best.

Springy

Oct 28, 2017
It's a pretty good single player experience with some clear drawbacks that you need to be willing to tolerate.

The game is absolutely made for co-op, though. It's one of the very best.

Oct 28, 2017
Sometimes I think about replaying it, and then I remember dealing with the awful inventory system and the feeling passes pretty quickly.

On a broader level, co-op (whether human or AI) strips a lot of the tension away for me and completely kills the "Resident Evil" feeling.

Gabriel Hall

Oct 27, 2017
At the time of launch, I had a lot of fun with it. Was lucky enough to have a friend to play local co-op with me from start to finish and I had a blast.

Today, though, I feel RE5 rests in a weird, discomforting point between RE4's careful, deliberate level design and RE6's fleshed-out combat mechanics. As a result, the parts of RE5 I used to enjoy are no longer fun, not when I feel that either RE4 or RE6 did them a lot better.

Lost in Nightmares is still pretty fun, though, I'm happy for that much.

Spork4000

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
Please explain what makes it racist.

resident-evil-5-re5-wallpaper-1080p-03-sheva-alomar-tribal-costume.png

For one

Not to mention the grass skirt wearing, spear throwing enemies. Shit was like if you set a game in the western US in 2019 and a tribe of native Americans in buckskins and warpaint road in on horseback.

Last edited:

Druffmaul

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account.
Banned
Oct 24, 2018
I remember enjoying most of it. But many of the boss battles were obviously designed for co-op, "you attack the front while I attack the rear" sort of scenarios, and doing them solo w/ an incompetent AI partner was not fun.

Last edited:

Via_Purifico

Oct 25, 2017
Downgrade compared to 4 for me and definitely my least played next to 6 in the series. It's fun in co-op but the campaign levels left something to be desired for me.

Gush

Nov 17, 2017
That's the problem, though. At the time RE5 was released, the RE series was still considered to be a horror franchise. I got the game expecting it to fill me with the kind of dread RE4 did (which, obviously, did veer more into action but was still horror at its roots).

What I got... was nothing of the sort. RE5 wasn't scary in the slightest (this is coming from someone who can't even watch horror movies), and the constant presence of an poorly programmed AI partner certainly did not help matters. I did get to the end of the game because the game itself is fine, but my disappointment in how it all turned out never left me and turned me off from the franchise for years. If I wanted to play an action game, I have so many other options and the RE series is now just one of them.

RE7, fortunately, was a great return to form and reignited my interest in the series again.

Fair enough, I guess it all depends on where you land on RE4. I had already considered RE4 an action game first and foremost so RE5's strong veer further in that direction never bothered me too much. Of course I'd have preferred something more akin to classic RE, but I just looked at it more for what it was attempting than what I'd rather it had been attempting and had a good time playing local co-op and running through all the difficulties as fast as possible.

Can see how that horror/action gradient can be different from person to person though, and RE5 is definitely much less creepy than even RE4. If I went in expecting a horror game I'd have been thoroughly disappointed to say the least as well.

Last edited:

Miamiwesker

Oct 25, 2017
Miami
What settings should I put in?
Gonna be playing through single-player for the first time on Switch, was Co-Op only for every previous playthrough

I always found that if you put her to always stay close and simply give her a handgun with a decent amount of ammo she will be your guardian angel. In certain situations you can give her bigger guns but the key is to not give her something that will waste all your ammo.

no matter what there are chapters where the AI partner has to perform some duties, the AI will be wonky at times especially during the Wesker fight. But for the most part the AI will just stick to you and help you out a ton when you drop.

Sub Boss

Banned
Nov 14, 2017
Its a good game, not quite a masterpiece like RE4 or RE2 but CAPCOM did what they could considering they fired the RE4 team and then tried to copy it.
Co op however its shitty for single player , on higher difficulties the dumb Sheva AI gets killed rather easily, and because of it the level design suffers, they could have made a still linear but more open setting with different paths.

Africa looks quite lovely with the houses and lightning and its an overall good action game im enjoying the replay on switch

Fahdi

Jun 5, 2018
RE4 also didnt age well. I did a back to back play through. It was an amazing experience back in the day, but now... Yeeesshh. RE5 was alright I guess. I reallllyy dont like RE6 yet. The first chapter with Leon is so long it killed my interest in the game.

JMTF

Aug 27, 2018
Learn the Attack/Cover and the need to press the help button for the AI partner to take you out of an grab and it becomes manageable, but double machine gun jill is still hell.

NuclearCake

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Bad. Really really BAD. The A.I really killed the single player and on top of it the variety scope and pacing of RE4 is missing.

RE5 is only mildly enjoyable in co-op but that's it and it's only mildly enjoyable. As a single player game RE5 is a failure.

AndreGX

GameXplain
Verified
Oct 24, 2017
San Francisco
Like a worse version of RE4 in nearly every conceivable way, except for the co-op (which ironically, was partially its undoing)