• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Aegis Renfro

Jan 11, 2018

Is this the greatest non-gameplay trailer of all time? The biggest example of "amazing trailer for a mediocre game"?

InspectorJones

One Winged Slayer
Oct 28, 2017
I must have watched that trailer like a billion times.

That said the game was fine, definitely didn't live up to the expectations such a polished trailer gives.

HiLife

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Thought it was going to be the greatest zombie game ever when the trailer first came out. Damn that game sucked.

Dying Light was great, at least.

BriGuy

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Did Dead Island 2 ever come out? I remember the trailer for that coming out at the beginning of the last generation of consoles and forgot about its existence until a few moments ago.

Oct 25, 2017
Never got the appeal. It's alright. Just like the game. It's simply selling a different generic zombie fantasy than the game itself, so people expected something else, but there's nothing amazing being hinted at in this trailer, in my opinion.

It's well made, though.

ashtaar

Oct 27, 2017
This must have hit right when the slow piano or whatever it's called was in full swing but yeah it still gets me in the feels and sets a fucking mood.

Zor

Oct 30, 2017
Outstanding trailer, one of my absolutely favourites.

Wish it was married to a similarly outstanding game but instead we got "WHO DO YOU VOODOO BITCH!" instead.

TeenageFBI

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
The trailer for Dead Island 2 is pretty good and it's a lot more honest about the game's tone:

Carnby

Oct 25, 2017
I was never impressed with the trailer. Playing a basic trailer in reverse doesn't make said basic trailer better.

SolidSnakex

Oct 25, 2017
Did Dead Island 2 ever come out? I remember the trailer for that coming out at the beginning of the last generation of consoles and forgot about its existence until a few moments ago.

Nope, it's just bounced around from various devs since being announced. It was originally being developed by Yager (the studio behind Spec Ops: The Line), but they were eventually pulled off the project and it was given to Sumo, and since hten they've been removed from the project and it's been given to Dambuster.

jediyoshi

Oct 25, 2017
Never got the appeal. It's alright. Just like the game. It's simply selling a different generic zombie fantasy than the game itself, so people expected something else, but there's nothing amazing being hinted at in this trailer, in my opinion.

It's well made, though.
Pretty sure people are specifically looking at this trailer in a vacuum as a work on its own rather than its merits as an ad.

IMCaprica

Aug 1, 2019
If Dead Island 2's trailer was for Dead Island that game would've had a much warmer reception. It's a fun, dumb game. It's actual trailer was too good for the game that it was. Expecting TLOU & getting Far Cry 3.

Foffy

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
It was probably the first big trailer I can think of that made me uninterested in games getting announced via CG trailers, as I knew the game wouldn't be something like that, and was designed for spectacle. I mean, all trailers are, but the whole point of this trailer, as I remember game journalists sobbing and talking about how moving it was, was the best attempt this absolutely mindless game had at capturing an audience. Absolute whiplash between this trailer and the campy experience the actual game is.

DrScruffleton

Oct 26, 2017
I actually really liked dead island, but of course it was nothing like this trailer. Riptide was ok too, and I even played escape dead island. Never played any of the other weird spin offs. I wouldnt say I am excited for 2, but it will definitely have my interest when its announced again. I was looking forward to the yager vision of san Francisco, sucks that isnt happening anymore

Oct 8, 2019
I can never understand the love people have for their trailer as its just a trailer for a zombie game. The trailer tells you nothing about the game because the game was never going to be like that trailer.

What did you expect the game to be? A family of three go on a vacation, get attacked by zombies and then all three die at the end as you see one final photo of them alive?

Hell you want to see more trailers that are full of BS

Remember the 5 minute Disgaea anime trailer that looks nothing like the actual anime?

The actual anime was cheaply made and had hardly anime fight scenes let alone fight scenes that look like the one he had with Midboss.

The King champ though has to be the Iron Man anime which had Takeshi Koike best known for his excellent film Redline direct the trailer

Takeshi Koike than did three episodes of Key animation for the actual series, so the show looks nothing like the trailer and instead of bringing in a new age of premium animation the marvel anime were nothing special.

El-Suave

Oct 27, 2017
I watched it just last week because a podcast that discusses video game related things from 10 years ago each month brought it up. Artistically it holds up but boy I didn't expect the CG to have aged that badly.