• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Ojli

Chicken Chaser
Oct 28, 2017
Sweden
Honest question, how often does pronouns actually get used in Pokemon or Temtem? I would imagine most of the time everyone would talk to you and thus use "you"

Zacmortar

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
IMHO, it still asks you for the gender you want them to be, you just get as much choice as possible in doing so. It needs to be in everything but lol I've lost faith in AAA

In the recent Pokemon games it simply asks you what character you want to look like without it asking if you are a boy or girl.
But then locks you into a gender's clothing and body/animation type

so its still stupid

Lulu

Saw the truth behind the copied door
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Probably will cop this when the server issues die down.

Giever

Oct 25, 2017
Yes, I've seen other games do it before as well and it seems like a good solution. Of course, it won't work for everything, but there's plenty of games with templates like this where it wouldn't be that difficult to just present the character options this way.

Oct 25, 2017
I was actually thinking about getting this game earlier today as a Pokemon fix so this is good to see.

Not sure if I should wait for it to come out of EA or not.

Deleted member 3294

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I believe South Park: Fractured But Whole had similar customization options. You created your character with full access to all options and without any reference to gender and later got the opportunity in a quest to choose gender, with non-binary and transgender options.
It then also had characters throw transphobic insults at you if you picked a trans or nonbinary option so let's not give that game credit for being progressive in that regard. It's still South Park.

Oct 27, 2017
OKC
this is pretty great. it would be great to see if eventually everything just did what letterboxd does.

unknown.png

Dinjoralo

Oct 25, 2017
I don't know how well custom pronouns would work. I've seen at least one instance in Temtem where you're referred to without pronouns, specifically "Sir".
Seeing it in TemTem is appreciated. Does TemTem have any LGBTQ representation in characters by the way? That's another thing we are still waiting on in the mainline pokemon series.
The Temtem wiki lists the rival, Max, as nonbinary. I'm not too sure if that's accurate, but it probably is.

Last edited:

Charizard

Oct 25, 2017
Of the myriad of pronouns Japanese has, only one is exclusively gender-specific and two are more gendered than the rest, so they really would need to go out of their ways to pick that one.
Yeah, I'm pretty sure the options are Kare and either aitsu or doushi, I would have to check (I think aitsu?). I 100% know it wasn't kanojo though so it should be a gender-neutral one.

Outside of some weird things with particle positioning in battles the translation seems pretty good, and that positioning problem is likely just a bug since it seems to be caused by a huge space being inserted after the name of variables. I kind of wonder if 8-4 had a hand in the Japanese translation TBH.

OP
OP
Lukar

Lukar

Unshakable Resolve - Prophet of Truth
Oct 27, 2017
Would anybody playing right now mind taking some screenshots of what the character creation process looks like? I have a longterm project I've been working on with the help of some friends that catalogs the different ways video games present "default characters." Temtem would be a great one to have considering how unique and interesting it is in this regard.
Here you go!

When you first start creating your character, it defaults to the tab for your character's body type:

1Pnki0b.jpg

If you go to the far right tab, you're prompted to enter your character's name and select your pronouns:

buvb5xM.jpg

When you first go to that tab, it actually has a little pop-up prompt for your name, followed by your pronouns. After you choose them, it looks like the screen above. I didn't get a shot of the prompts though; sorry if you needed them. Still, I hope these help.

ArchedThunder

Uncle Beerus
Oct 25, 2017
Even just making all customization available for both male and female trainers in Pokemon would be a huge improvement, but man the Temtem set up is awesome.

Finale Fireworker

Love each other or die trying.
Oct 25, 2017
United States
Here you go!

When you first start creating your character, it defaults to the tab for your character's body type:

1Pnki0b.jpg

If you go to the far right tab, you're prompted to enter your character's name and select your pronouns:

buvb5xM.jpg

When you first go to that tab, it actually has a little pop-up prompt for your name, followed by your pronouns. After you choose them, it looks like the screen above. I didn't get a shot of the prompts though; sorry if you needed them. Still, I hope these help.
Thank you so much!

Someone mentioned that the character model is randomized to start, is that correct? So you get a random model on the left and then can select freely?

What kinds of prompts does it ask beforehand/afterward?

Kalentan

Oct 25, 2017
Thank you so much!

Someone mentioned that the character model is randomized to start, is that correct? So you get a random model on the left and then can select freely?

It does start off randomized and then you select. You go through the rest of the tabs (Head Shape/Face/Eye Color, then Hair/Hair Color (you can choose to color the tips), then shirt/colors, pants/colors, backpack/colors, and then you go to the final tab where it forces you to write a name and then select pronoun but then moves to the menu you see in the second screenshot.)

Jaq'or

One Winged Slayer
The Fallen
Jun 6, 2018
Excellent! Love to see more character customization options, especially ones that allow for a range of gender expression. :)

Rynam

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Thank you so much!

It is indeed Randomized, this one was mine:
Temtem_23.01.2020_03_44_03.png

As for the prompts: (Char looks different because i needed to change language and its a new randomized one)
unknown.png

unknown.png

Also prompts in german, Where there's no gender neutral pronoun:
Temtem_23.01.2020_03_44_16.png

Temtem_23.01.2020_03_44_27.png

Finale Fireworker

Love each other or die trying.
Oct 25, 2017
United States
It does start off randomized and then you select. You go through the rest of the tabs (Head Shape/Face/Eye Color, then Hair/Hair Color (you can choose to color the tips), then shirt/colors, pants/colors, backpack/colors, and then you go to the final tab where it forces you to write a name and then select pronoun but then moves to the menu you see in the second screenshot.)
It is indeed Randomized, this one was mine:
Temtem_23.01.2020_03_44_03.png

As for the prompts: (Char looks different because i needed to change language and its a new randomized one)
unknown.png

unknown.png

Temtem_23.01.2020_03_44_16.png

Temtem_23.01.2020_03_44_27.png
Thanks a ton to both of you. I've documented it for my project. <3

Firmament1

Aug 15, 2019
The game itself looks pretty fun. Fully multiplayer Pokemon-style MMO... Not like that wouldn't have been a dream when I was younger.

This might just be the extra little push that gets me to buy the game (Although since there appear to be server issues, I'll hold on until those are fixed), because I think this is a nice precedent to set for games with character creation.

Looking at some of the negative reviews on Steam... There are actually some people mad about this (Thankfully, this group is just a minority). God, that's pathetic.

Last edited:

Galava

â–˛ Legend â–˛
Oct 27, 2017
In spanish there isn't an officially accepted gender neutral pronoun, but people just "invented" it a while back and use that (Elle/elles). This game makes use of it even though it doesn't exist officially.

Deleted member 29682

Banned
Nov 1, 2017
I remember Battletech had a "They" pronoun option, does anyone know how that worked in non-English translations?

Megasoum

Oct 25, 2017
So, Temtem officially released in early access yesterday on Steam. While the game's inspiration from Pokémon is very blatant, there's one thing it does that definitely isn't in Game Freak's games, or most other games in fact. And it's something that more games should do and embrace.

When you start Temtem and create your character, you technically don't pick a gender for yourself. Instead, you choose what pronouns the game will use when you're being referenced in dialogue. The game lets you choose from he/him, she/her, and they/them. From there, you are totally free to customize your avatar's appearance however you wish; none of the options (hairstlyes, clothing, voices, etc.) are locked behind a gender choice like in most other games.

I wish more games took this kind of approach when letting players create a character. It allows for the game to be more inclusive to more people, and potentially really lets you get more attached to your character, I feel. I believe I remember hearing that Cyberpunk 2077 is going to do something similar (EDIT: apparently Cyberpunk will not use any pronouns for your character in dialogue, and you can freely customize your appearance to your liking), which I'm happy about, but I wish even more games did this. I'm sure there are some that do that I'm not aware of, but the majority of games still cling to making players choose a binary gender, and then force them to make their appearance conform to what many people think of when they picture someone who's male or female. And if you're nonbinary or something else, you're usually just shit out of luck entirely.

More games ought to embrace people's identities and let them truly create the character that best matches them. It's a shame that this is something that hasn't already caught on before, but between Temtem and Cyberpunk, I hope we start seeing it happen more and more, until it eventually becomes the norm.

(Also hope we get more pronoun options than just he/she/they, for those who use other pronouns)
That's really cool!

If I remember correctly I think that Rebel Galaxy Outlaws let you pick a pronoun too but there's no customization of the character afterward.

Edit: Hmmm, looking at the post before mine... Maybe I was thinking of Battletech? Not sure...

Kelanflyter

Banned
Nov 9, 2017
France
honnest question, what is supposed to mean They/Them in that context?
Doesn't thoses words supposed to be used for plurial ?
(I'm not English native)

Deleted member 29682

Banned
Nov 1, 2017
That's really cool!

If I remember correctly I think that Rebel Galaxy Outlaws let you pick a pronoun too but there's no customization of the character afterward.

Edit: Hmmm, looking at the post before mine... Maybe I was thinking of Battletech? Not sure...

Battletech does allow you to customise your character portrait.

1525288695382-Image-2018-05-02-at-21746-PM.png

(I'm not English native)

"They/Them" can also be used as a singular gender-neutral pronoun. It has its proponents and opponents but is currently more widely used than the alternatives, afaik.

Menx64

Oct 30, 2017
I am always glad for represention and more options. I wish however, this game was not a Pokemon ripoff but their own game.

GuessMyUserName

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
Toronto
(I'm not English native)

"They" has always been common in singular-use for a long time without people realizing it (even native speakers). Most common when someone's gender is unknown, like to a baby, but even in known cases you can hear phrases like "what are they doing?" referring to a singular person without any second-thought.

Note that yeah even using with "are" instead of "is" it can still be singular - which if you haven't noticed is also the way we talk about "you" - "you are" not "you is", and the reason for that is the word "you" also has its history from a second-person plural pronoun "ye", alongside "thou" as a second-person singular pronoun.

Kelanflyter

Banned
Nov 9, 2017
France
"They/Them" can also be used as a singular gender-neutral pronoun. It has its proponents and opponents but is currently more widely used than the alternatives, afaik.
What are the alternatives ?
I find it Strange because in French, the Equivalent words are also gendered. So can't be used for gender-neutral.
"They/Them" translate as
- "Ils/Eux" for a group including at least one man
- 'Elles/Elles" for a group exclusively composed of women

In this instance it's a singular pronoun for people who don't identify with the traditional binary gender system, i.e non-binary folks.

I Don't know what really means "Non Binary". It's a word that i see very ofter on Era but Don't understand.

I could be wrong because i'm not very familiar on the subject, but for me a man that change sex to become a woman ask peoples to be refered as a woman (and vice versa).

Kelanflyter

Banned
Nov 9, 2017
France

"They" has always been common in singular-use for a long time without people realizing it (even native speakers). Most common when someone's gender is unknown, like to a baby, but even in known cases you can hear phrases like "what are they doing?" referring to a singular person without any second-thought.

Note that yeah even using with "are" instead of "is" it can still be singular - which if you haven't noticed is also the way we talk about "you" - "you are" not "you is", and the reason for that is the word "you" also has its history from a second-person plural pronoun "ye", alongside "thou" as a second-person singular pronoun.
Thanks.
I knew about "ye"/"Thou" since thoses words apears in some games that use old English,

Deleted member 29682

Banned
Nov 1, 2017

Deleted member 8784

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
I honestly do not understand anybody who thinks this takes something away from their experience with the game. It's absolutely bizarre. It's great that people have the option.

Deleted member 37151

Account closed at user request
Banned
Jan 1, 2018
I literally don't get why you wouldn't do it this way.
It's a win win for everyone. Everyone gets all the options.

GuessMyUserName

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
Toronto
I Don't know what really means "Non Binary". It's a word that i see very ofter on Era but Don't understand.

I could be wrong because i'm not very familiar on the subject, but for me a man that change sex to become a woman ask peoples to be refered as a woman (and vice versa).
Non-Binary doesn't necessitate or have anything to do with being transgender (you *can* be non-binary trans, but one doesn't imply the other), it's simply not identifying particularly with one gender or another - possibly leaning to one side, but again not necessarily. Maybe more masculine one day and feminine the next, or simply comfortable being androgynous, all are valid.

Thanks.
I knew about "ye"/"Thou" since thoses words apears in some games that use old English,
Right, and that's the thing that languages like English are constantly evolving and bending, they aren't rigid and set in stone forever, they change and new meanings catch on. Even in French it's possible non-binary communities have solutions they use you may not be aware of (nor I, as I'm not French!), just as many English native speakers aren't particularly conscious of stuff like they/them.

OP
OP
Lukar

Lukar

Unshakable Resolve - Prophet of Truth
Oct 27, 2017
Care to list all the other pronouns?
See an earlier post of mine in this thread:

I'll fully admit, I'm not familiar with most other pronouns, as I don't personally know anyone who goes by anything other than the ones used in Temtem. However, I know some that people use are xe/xem/xir. There are others as well.

I think in an ideal world, games would either include a wide range of pronouns to choose from, or let you manually type the ones you prefer. That way, even if yours aren't listed by the game, you can still be referred to with them.

soyperson

May 8, 2019
appalachia
I totally agree with OP. Letting there be standardized customization options is way preferable to having "girls' clothing" and "boys' clothing", and as a nonbinary person it's really nice to be able to let my characters use they/them pronouns.

mazpratim

Oct 27, 2017
I think every game with a basic protagonist should do this, games like Persona and Zelda don't even let you play as a woman at all