• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

ILikeFeet

DF Deet Master
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Had to hard reboot my pc. Now I'm stuck in queue.

I know this is a stress test, but now I see why people dont want a pokemon MMO

OP
OP
Dinjoralo

Dinjoralo

Oct 25, 2017
I got into the stress test, myself. Apparently there's about 3500 other people in line ahead of me. Good thing they had a stress test, then, hopefully this'll ironed out when Early Access comes around.
It was not this bad before, wtf happened?
I'm going to guess the game's coverage meant a ton more people entered.

OP
OP
Dinjoralo

Dinjoralo

Oct 25, 2017
I do like how while the game uses Pokemon's basic plot setup, it does a lot more with it. The professor is an actual university professor rather than a fairly plain scientist. He got the starter Temtem while traveling the world, and we see some of his character from him explaining how he got them, dude apparently gets into bar fights. There's a lot more presence there.

chrominance

Sky Van Gogh
Oct 25, 2017
It's adorable! It takes
I got into the stress test, myself. Apparently there's about 3500 other people in line ahead of me. Good thing they had a stress test, then, hopefully this'll ironed out when Early Access comes around.

I'm going to guess the game's coverage meant a ton more people entered.

That's my guess too. Discord chat was terrible even before the servers launched, just tons of spam and POST ANIME TITTIES and shit.

Game is cute, when it loads! Though it turns out the color scheme I chose for my character is also the color scheme in use in the first town, so, um, oops.

Diggeh

Oct 25, 2017
I love everything about it so far, but I feel like being an MMO is really holding it back. There's so much charm and style with some wonderful music, but there's going to be some serious problems if you can't even play the game due to being at capacity and getting stuck in loading for minutes...I really hope everything will work out in the end.

ILikeFeet

DF Deet Master
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
The hard MMO functions aren't really helping the game when basic stuff are hampered by a stressed server

Lukar

Unshakable Resolve - Prophet of Truth
Oct 27, 2017
I do like how while the game uses Pokemon's basic plot setup, it does a lot more with it. The professor is an actual university professor rather than a fairly plain scientist. He got the starter Temtem while traveling the world, and we see some of his character from him explaining how he got them, dude apparently gets into bar fights. There's a lot more presence there.
I love how he got the monkey one in a fucking bar fight.

The hard MMO functions aren't really helping the game when basic stuff are hampered by a stressed server
In fairness, stress tests are meant to break the game.

chrominance

Sky Van Gogh
Oct 25, 2017
I haven't seen anything like that, myself. Mostly people complaining about Pokemon and newcomers asking the same questions constantly.

Are we looking at the same server? This is what it looks like for me:

rqJwwkP.jpg

That's relatively tame because of the smaller mobile screen. On desktop it's a shitshow.

GuitarGuruu

Oct 26, 2017
Too bad that the servers are getting smashed, I guess that's the point but its just something I didn't think about; the need for everything to be sent to the server and sent back. Every single event trigger right now is taking a minute or longer to load, if it even does.

GuitarGuruu

Oct 26, 2017
One thing I do want to say though right off the bat is this game has lots of love poured into it, I can see this really taking off if they get the launch right. Its super beautiful to look at also.

Kalentan

Oct 25, 2017
I know that. but when entering a building causes long wait times due to load, it makes me ask questions. maybe a P2P game might have been a better idea for this style of game

I mean... again this is a stress test. Trying to go all doom and gloom is odd.

By the time it launches and things settle down, it won't be anything like this.

SecondNature

Oct 25, 2017
Can someone tell me the overall structure of the game? I am less interested in the social stuff and more in the single player story. After it's done, what's there to do? Is it like other social MP games or MMORPGs where theyll add in new worlds and quests and NPCs that make you feel like a part of something larger?

I look at games like WOW and they always seem so cool, are games like this trying to be that in scale?

GuitarGuruu

Oct 26, 2017
Can someone tell me the overall structure of the game? I am less interested in the social stuff and more in the single player story. After it's done, what's there to do? Is it like other social MP games or MMORPGs where theyll add in new worlds and quests and NPCs that make you feel like a part of something larger?

I look at games like WOW and they always seem so cool, are games like this trying to be that in scale?
There is a single player story you can go through which is like Pokemon, defeat 8 Temtem Leaders and then I believe that's about it for now along with taking down the evil team. And yes they will be adding in new areas, Temtem to collect, and NPCs as time goes on. It will be a developed game over time much like Warcraft yes.

Avis

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Walked into a building and immediately got black screened, lol RIP

The (very) little I saw really impressed though.

Keyouta

The Wise Ones
Oct 25, 2017
Canada
In what ways does the game improve upon Pokemon? I want a feeling of adventure. I saw that the game makes double battles the default and there's some sort of atb-like bar to encourage some level of strategy in battles. Story seem decent so far? Are you railroaded going through the campaign, if that's even known yet.

CountAntonio

Oct 25, 2017
Personally love that's in an MMO with one global server. Seeing people run around with their team is great and being able to battle and trade people at will is gonna be fun. Also the housing sounds interesting. Basically an instanced neighborhood.

OP
OP
Dinjoralo

Dinjoralo

Oct 25, 2017
Kinda hoping I can get into at least one battle before the test is done.
I'm realizing I probably ought to make an OT for this...
In what ways does the game improve upon Pokemon? I want a feeling of adventure. I saw that the game makes double battles the default and there's some sort of atb-like bar to encourage some level of strategy in battles. Story seem decent so far? Are you railroaded going through the campaign, if that's even known yet.
The ATB bar is stamina. Moves pull from a stamina bar rather than each one having its own PP.

We don't know how the story is structured, but I do know there are sidequests. There's a bit more to do than just the main story, at least.

SecondNature

Oct 25, 2017
These guys really seem to be taking competitive seriously in this game. A lot of changes to the pokemon formula removing rng adding stuff like stamina etc. Here is an analysis of semi final match in their first tournament.

Combat had me concerned for a social game.

You know what has pretty good combat in turn based games like this? Card games. Games like Gwent and Hearthstone could transfer excellently to a game like this. Mechanics like armour, shields, traps, etc. and specialty cards that do other things

Also, I just took a glimpse of the gameplay and I like how it has all these quests like a MMORPG. I REALLY hope they can flesh out the game this way-- have bigger enemy groups, encourage raids or special TemTem that come in during special times, mysteries to solve, etc. I have never really played an MMORPG outside of Runescape, but Ive always wanted to invest in one

Akronis

Prophet of Regret - Lizard Daddy
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Personally love that's in an MMO with one global server. Seeing people run around with their team is great and being able to battle and trade people at will is gonna be fun. Also the housing sounds interesting. Basically an instanced neighborhood.

is it instanced or are there seriously like hundreds of people in one area?

Avis

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Seems if you're not in ATM the game is inaccessible right now. Time to wait for a bit. Glad the test is finding this sorta stuff.
From what I understand, It focuses more on challenge, strategy and multiplayer aspects more than regular Pokemon. Regular Pokemon is probably going to be better for a sense of adventure, characters, music, designs and overall polish but given it has a much larger budget those things are expected. It seems like this is going to be great for people craving a mix up in the Pokemon formula, who want a challenge or a total reset button.

Unicorn

One Winged Slayer
Oct 29, 2017
This and Ooblets are my indie games of 2020 I'm most looking forward to.

Avis

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Also holy shit that Discord server is HUGE. Looks like this game picked up a lot of popularity recently.

chrominance

Sky Van Gogh
Oct 25, 2017
Servers are down, I think.

I gave the stress test an hour of my life, that's probably good enough. Looks sweet from what I saw so far, Max is a jerk, it was surprisingly neat to suddenly see all these other people in my game after the first battle. I also feel like I saw 0.0001% of the game but that's not really what the stress test is for, I suppose. Look forward to hearing more elaborate impressions and/or maybe doing next weekend's stress test.

Lukar

Unshakable Resolve - Prophet of Truth
Oct 27, 2017
Has a price point for early access been announced yet? Tried looking for one yesterday but didn't see it on Steam or Humble.

YaW

Jan 11, 2018
Servers are back online. Sorry for keeping you waiting!

We're getting a lot of interesting data from the Stress test :)

zulux21

Oct 25, 2017
Has a price point for early access been announced yet? Tried looking for one yesterday but didn't see it on Steam or Humble.
I haven't heard of one in my digging but the rumor seems to be $30-$35.

it was a $20 kickstarter so $30 would make sense for it.

either way now just to wait for the server to come back up so I can see if I want to get this right away lol.
I'm trying to remember all the other pokemon like games coming out this year on PC but I think this is the only one with a co op focus.

VirtualCloud

Aug 3, 2018
man this game is charming and looks like a lot of love and passion went into it, I can really see this blowing up in the future

Avis

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Stuck at getting my first temtem cards from the prof. He's just standing there... menacingly.

Putting that aside: After my first *cough* battle, the game looks really good. Like, REALLY good. Seeing it in motion on my 2k monitor was a feast for the eyes that the trailers didn't capture.