• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Kwigo

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
EDIT: It's also coming out on Xbox One and PS4, forgot about it and didn't put it in the title. Shame on me!

From their latest Kickstarter update https://www.kickstarter.com/project...ltiplayer-creature-collection-a/posts/2543051

• Price is $34.99, 30.99€, £27.49.
  • The store will be open for two weeks.
  • Preordering will get you the final game when it is released and also you get instant access to the on-going Alpha.
  • Discord is currently the only option to preorder. The game will release on Steam but preorders are not available there.
  • Preordering the game on Discord will grant the final game on Discord too, you won't be able to migrate to Steam without buying the game again there.
  • You don't need Discord Nitro to buy the game and you can't get Temtem for free by being Nitro neither.
  • There is crossplay between Steam and Discordso you'll be able to play with anyone playing the Alpha.

You can preorder it for two weeks only, but get immediate access to the ongoing alpha.

Last edited:

vestan

#REFANTAZIO SWEEP
Dec 28, 2017
"Pokemon Clone"

Bit rude, aye? It's obviously inspired by Pokemon but seems to be doing its own thing. Good price, been meaning to check this out.

Candescence

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
"Pokemon Clone"

Bit rude, aye? It's obviously inspired by Pokemon but seems to be doing its own thing. Good price, been meaning to check this out.
To be fair, it looks very much like a serial numbers filed off version of the 3DS Pokemon games with other players running around. I wouldn't blame anyone for using the term 'clone'. I'd hard-pressed to describe it as anything else.

I mean, all power to them, but personally, eh. It just doesn't look like it really offers anything Pokemon doesn't already do. I'm down for more games in the monster-catching genre, but not this much like Pokemon, gameplay-wise.

OP
OP
Kwigo

Kwigo

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
"Pokemon Clone"

"Inspired by" is a bit light tho :)
I mostly wanted to inform people since a lot seem disappointed by sword and shield.

Robin64

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
England
Yeah, I just looked at the campaign page, basically everything I see could be called "Pokemon clone".

Wing Scarab

Banned
Nov 1, 2017
Its on PS4 and Xbox One also. Not sure why you failed to mention that since it was in the link you provided.

Candescence

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Have a feeling this thread will be used to bash Sword and Shield knowing Pokemon "fans".
To be fair, I can see why quite a few people might want a Pokemon-like game that isn't made by Game Freak that's still a turn-based game (especially one that integrates features from older games that have been dropped by Game Freak for some reason or features fans have been wanting for ages). I don't see this becoming anywhere near as popular as Pokemon (then again, I never would've expected Yokai Watch to be a big hit either, and this looks like it's more appealing to demographics outside of Japan), but it certainly fits an interesting niche. Also, it's multiplatform, which helps.

Deleted member 8001

user requested account closure
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
To be fair, I can see why quite a few people might want a Pokemon-like game that isn't made by Game Freak that's still a turn-based game (especially one that integrates features from older games that have been dropped by Game Freak for some reason or features fans have been wanting for ages). I don't see this becoming anywhere near as popular as Pokemon (then again, I never would've expected Yokai Watch to be a big hit either, and this looks like it's more appealing to demographics outside of Japan), but it certainly fits an interesting niche. Also, it's multiplatform, which helps.
No I'm not concerned about alternative options. It's just the "fanbase" has been so toxic lately and harassing people on twitter and using whatever they can to belittle the newer games.

NoKisum

Nov 11, 2017
DMV Area, USA
Oh wow, I remember a friend showing me this when the kickstarter first started. Something looked off about it then and it still looks weird now. But I can't put my finger on why.

Candescence

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
No I'm not concerned about alternative options. It's just the "fanbase" has been so toxic lately and harassing people on twitter and using whatever they can to belittle the newer games.
Okay, yeah, fair enough, but people will be shitty about almost anything these days...

Oh wow, I remember a friend showing me this when the kickstarter first started. Something looked off about it then and it still looks weird now. But I can't put my finger on why.
Maybe it's the faces on the in-game models of the human characters? That's kinda putting me off.

GhostTrick

Oct 25, 2017
"crossplay between Discord and Steam"
I love the wording here. Crossplay between two services on the same platform.

Spiritreaver

Oct 26, 2017
I played the most recent alpha and enjoyed myself. The stamina system, slow start moves (some moves take turns to charge), and partner Temtem bonuses (some moves get bonuses when partnered with certain types) make the gameplay standout from Pokemon.

The game has a lot of QoL features Pokemon has desperately needed ages ago. Quick battle transitions, getting rid of prompts for things like surf, visible IV/EVs, diverse characters (there's a lot more PoC in Temtem, and some hints of LGBT characterizations).

It also looks great and runs at 60+ FPS without any dips, in an alpha.

If I had to knock it for anything now it's the writing. It's really bad and I think it might be due to a poor translation right now. Also some of the Temtem designs are forgettable and very Fakemon.

7Z7

May 30, 2018
TemTem looks good on paper.

I wish I could have financed the game, I was too late.

Whatever, maybe that's a good thing. I feel the excluded Epic Game coming and the Steam keys become Epic keys.

woopWOOP

Self-requested ban
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Very much a Pokemon Clone, but it looks alright? Some nice looking monster designs.
I might give it a shot, depending on how many monsters and how big the 6 islands are.

Serebii

Serebii.net Webmaster
Verified
Oct 24, 2017
"Pokemon Clone"

I mean the original trailer literally had the same animations as Pokémon Sun & Moon and they've gone on record of saying they want to fix the things they think is wrong with Pokémon (such as random elements).

It even has "Shiny" Temtem known as Luma. I'm legitimately surprised it has been allowed to get to this point

Glio

Oct 27, 2017
Spain
"Pokemon Clone"

Have you read the interviews? They are quite arrogant and direct with "We are going to make a Serious Pokémon because we know better"

Deleted member 2809

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Idk why they would copy so much from pokémon though, there's plenty broken shit to improve rather than copy 1:1

Andri

Mar 20, 2018
Switzerland
I backed it, then played the alpha once and never touched it again.
Biggest issue i have with the game is that it focusses so much on pandering to "hardcore" pokemon fans, with things like a heavy focus on 2v2 battles, and as they call it "100% skill based combat" by which they mean removal of all "random" things.
It sounds nice on paper, but actually playing it just feels not right.

It looks ok, but it just feels off for me.
Like drinking a thing that has cola on it, but its just not coka cola, and its noticable.

But hey, they have the fake starter that "leaked" last gen as an actual creature, so thats cool.

Deleted member 2791

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I'd be more interested in it if they toned down the tryhard "pokémon but like we wanted it to be" and focus on the good new elements they've developed. Otherwise it just looks like a cheap knockoff, which is a shame because it could be something unique instead.

YaW

Jan 11, 2018
Have you read the interviews? They are quite arrogant and direct with "We are going to make a Serious Pokémon because we know better"
I don't think we haven't said that like ever. We respect Pokémon a lot and we just want to make the Pokémon we've been wanting to play for years. That doesn't mean we're making a BETTER Pokémon, it's just a different approach that we like more.

Does this mean that crits, chances of stat afflictions, evasion, etc. are all gone from TemTem?
Evasion and crits yeah, they don't exist in Temtem. There's still stat stages, status conditions, etc, but everything is predictable. For example, the same technique will always apply the same status condition with the same turn count.

NotLiquid

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
I backed it, then played the alpha once and never touched it again.
Biggest issue i have with the game is that it focusses so much on pandering to "hardcore" pokemon fans, with things like a heavy focus on 2v2 battles, and as they call it "100% skill based combat" by which they mean removal of all "random" things.
It sounds nice on paper, but actually playing it just feels not right.

It looks ok, but it just feels off for me.
Like drinking a thing that has cola on it, but its just not coka cola, and its noticable.

But hey, they have the fake starter that "leaked" last gen as an actual creature, so thats cool.
I definitely get the sense that the game seems to do a lot of things people might think they want from Pokémon but is usually eschewed for good reasons.

dabri

Nov 2, 2017
Hmm this screams unity. If its running on unity, it gets a hard wait and see. So many unity indie games have performance issues on consoles.

YaW

Jan 11, 2018
I mean the original trailer literally had the same animations as Pokémon Sun & Moon and they've gone on record of saying they want to fix the things they think is wrong with Pokémon (such as random elements).

It even has "Shiny" Temtem known as Luma. I'm legitimately surprised it has been allowed to get to this point
The original Kickstarter trailer had some very close visual resemblances to Pokémon yes but we hear the complaints about that and changed most of it. The evolution scene or the trainer intros are totally different now because of that.

We've never hidden the origins/inspiration for the game and honestly, I don't understand all the fuss about it. There are a million games hugely inspired by other games Lol-Dota, Fortnite-PUBG, Brawlhalla-Smash, Stardew Valley-Harvest Moon, Wargroove-Advance Wars...

Diversity in options is always good.

greenwell

Jan 12, 2018
The game has a lot of QoL features Pokemon has desperately needed ages ago. Quick battle transitions, getting rid of prompts for things like surf, visible IV/EVs, diverse characters (there's a lot more PoC in Temtem, and some hints of LGBT characterizations)
There's a lot of PoC in Pokemon too, considering Gens 1-4 are based off Japan. I consider Pokemon to be the most inclusive Nintendo franchise besides Splatoon.

Lord Arcadio

Oct 27, 2017
When this was first announced, it looked way too much like Sun/Moon. But as a fan of double battles, I'll have to check out how this has developed since then.

Razmos

Unshakeable One Winged Slayer
Oct 28, 2017
They've added a suprising amount of stuff since Alpha started, they are definitely committed to making this a great game. The alpha is really well polished, the only reason I haven't played more is because all the alpha progress will be wiped and I dont want to grow attached to my team at all

Oct 25, 2017
The only reason I didn't back the game during the campaign is because I was certain I'd be preoccupied with the Gen VIII Pokemon game.

I probably will pick this up once a Steam version is available.