• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Dandy

Oct 25, 2017
I managed to play for a solid 45 minutes or so - mostly spent the time leveling a couple of my Temtem up to 10, and got my first evolution. There was some lag, but for the most part it went smoothly(until I DC'd).

g23

Oct 27, 2017
So what exactly are the "mmo" aspects of this game? Is there group content for more than 2 people? Significant end game events? As far I can see tits basically a Pokemon game where you can also see real people running around.

packy17

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I've barely been able to play but I already like it more than Sword/Shield (which I completed).

shiba5

I shed
Oct 25, 2017
Been playing for 30 minutes. Battles are a bit laggy and I'm avoiding boxes, but it's better than earlier.

Edit: How do I heal "dead" temtem? (Besides the starting house lady.)

Tyranlord

Oct 28, 2017
Been playing for 30 minutes. Battles are a bit laggy and I'm avoiding boxes, but it's better than earlier.

Edit: How do I heal "dead" temtem? (Besides the starting house lady.)
Midway route one there will be a mini Temporium where you can heal your Temtem.

In the first city Brical de Mar, you will get a key item that will have one charge of a teamwide heal. This will recharge after visiting a temporium

Burt

Fight Sephiroth or end video games
Oct 28, 2017
So what exactly are the "mmo" aspects of this game? Is there group content for more than 2 people? Significant end game events? As far I can see tits basically a Pokemon game where you can also see real people running around.
Personally, I'd say that it's just a smidge above something like Warframe when it comes to MMOness. Basically, the only thing bringing it in above that is that you're in instances/shards where you're running around with a bunch of other players in whatever region you're in. There are going to be clan/club battles and some sort of persistence with that, you can co-op anything and everything, you can duel anyone anywhere, but it isn't a WoW-style MMO. You can play it comfortably single-player, or engage in the online elements.

Galava

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 27, 2017
Yea they are based in Madrid.
Oh wow, didn't know that. I guess that's why the Spanish translation for Temtem sounds very natural. Talking to some NPCs the game feels that it was written in Spanish first and then translated into other languages almost. It's the only game I've played where the written Spanish doesn't feel "robotic" or "too literal".

Also, the name of the second town has a Ç in the name(which doesn't exist in Spanish, but in Catalan), maybe referencing Catalonia?

Landford

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
There are very portuguese sounding names in the first areas

eathdemon

Oct 27, 2017
weather I jump in or not will be based on reports about endgame. pokemon has never been about the singleplayer for me.

hyouko

Oct 27, 2017
I guess the thing that I don't really know about using a service like AWS is the length of time you need to purchase server capacity. Would it be viable to buy an excess of server space over a short period of time around launch when, historically, you're not going to need that much space as time goes on?
With the AWS services I'm familiar with, you'd probably specify limits on what you want to spend over a period of time and limits on how many instances you want going at once. From there, you can set things up so that additional server instances will spin up and down within a minute or so of when the demand starts trending up or down; you pay for what you need at the moment. There's some overhead to starting and stopping instances, and it's probably best not to set an unreasonably large cap on your cluster size. A bug, DDOS attack, or simple popularity could lead to you spending way more than you expected.

There may also be bottlenecks in other areas - for instance, maybe the main servers are fine, but everything's talking to a single database that isn't set up to scale. Or maybe there are problems in their design that just don't scale well when you throw more resources at them. I don't mean to represent that this is some sort of magic bullet.

Also, in fairness I should note that Amazon does offer reserved instances; you can sign a contract and get a cheaper rate if you know that you're going to be maxing out an instance continuously for months at a time. My understanding is that this carries a lot of the same economic tradeoffs as would getting an actual server: you may be paying for it during off-peak hours when you're not using it, and you may be locked in to a particular class of older hardware when Amazon introduces newer, more efficient options over time.

(If someone in here is in devops and I've got something wrong, feel free to stop me; I know just enough to be dangerous about this kind of thing, but I'm mostly an analyst).

Thordawgg

Nov 5, 2017
Not getting much quality time in but I expected that. The time I have had playing has felt really good and I think I'll be able to get some more time in during the coming weeks.

CountAntonio

Oct 25, 2017
weather I jump in or not will be based on reports about endgame. pokemon has never been about the singleplayer for me.
Well there is a competitive mode with a pick and ban system, and endgame zone where weekly a new temtem will be featured with better stats and a higher likelihood of it being a Luma, breeding seems fairly extensive, club dojo battles will be coming in the future. There is definitely plans for endgame content. How much of it ends up compelling but they seem to really want this to be played long term.

Ryuelli

Oct 26, 2017
I was excited to try this out until I saw the price, it's a wee bit more expensive than I was expecting.

DanteRavenkin

Oct 27, 2017
Canada
I've been looking forward to this game for a while, but today brought me a perfect storm of not being able to get it. My local public transit went on strike, so all my extra money has to be saved to I can get to/from work. AND my girlfriends work laptop pooched, so we needed to get a new one for her. It's fun watching people play this on streams though!

Burt

Oct 28, 2017
For all the breeding-curious, I've run into Tateru with a 50 SV about once every 20 minutes, and that's with the server lag. About 1 per 15 tem cards, in a tateru-only patch. Probably better than that, I started with 14 tem cards, caught one, bought another batch of 15, caught another one on like the 3rd or 4th.

ANDS

Banned
Jun 25, 2019
Your mother heals dead Tem's back to life; so you can relatively easy grind levels in the beginning without using healing items.

You can take on people in PvP and you can play the game together.

Darryl M R

The Spectacular PlayStation-Man
Oct 25, 2017
I just saw a small media clip of black-centric hairstyles. I'm in. Only issue is that I do not have a PC, so I'm rooting for Temtem to do well!

Burt

Oct 28, 2017
Your mother heals dead Tem's back to life; so you can relatively easy grind levels in the beginning without using healing items.
There's also a full heal station halfway through the first route, and, in the first real town you get to, you get a temessence phial that full heals your entire team once.

Jun 1, 2018
Wow I just played for a bit and its insane how much they blatantly copied from the pokemon games, you get your first temtem from a professor, the pokedex etc..... how is this even legal?

zulux21

Oct 25, 2017
Wow I just played for a bit and its insane how much they blatantly copied from the pokemon games, you get your first temtem from a professor, the pokedex etc..... how is this even legal?
because you copyright assets not ideas.
also... unlike pokemon the professor gives you two pokemon, and your rival doesn't get to just pick the one you are weak against.... he instead gets one that is just better than yours :P

Darryl M R

The Spectacular PlayStation-Man
Oct 25, 2017
You can't copyright tropes. We have an entire genre called souls-like.

Thordawgg

Nov 5, 2017
Don't think you can copyright a concept of receiving a gift from a professor.

Either way it really doesn't affect my enjoyment of the game, it's such a small step in the journey.

Chrno

Oct 25, 2017
you have triple A studios "blatantly copying" other genres/games all the time. Why on earth would enemies respawn in Jedi Fallen Order after "meditating" for any reason other than because "that's what they did in Souls games".

PancakeFlip

Oct 26, 2017
For all the breeding-curious, I've run into Tateru with a 50 SV about once every 20 minutes, and that's with the server lag. About 1 per 15 tem cards, in a tateru-only patch. Probably better than that, I started with 14 tem cards, caught one, bought another batch of 15, caught another one on like the 3rd or 4th.
What do you mean by 1 per 15 cards? You have to catch 15?

Ferrio

Oct 25, 2017

The industry is built on it. Some of the most beloved series were originally "Doom Clones" or "Street Fighter Clones"

Landford

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Thank god, can you imagine if the only FPS that was ever released was Wolfenstein and not a single one more, since they pioneered the mechanics?

Burt

Oct 28, 2017
What do you mean by 1 per 15 cards? You have to catch 15?
It's random chance. Any wild temtem (luma excluded) will have their SVs anywhere between 1 and 50. Since there are 7 stats, it should probably be closer to 1/7 (1/50 +1/50+1/50 etc. = 7/50 for any one stat being perfect). Just speaking from what I did, that's how long it took. It'll be shorter without lag, which sometimes put me on a black screen for 10-15 seconds going into battle, it probably won't take nearly as long.

Still not great for catching perfect SVs for all seven stats from compatible genders, but I've also built up a stockpile of tems with near-perfect SVs (47-49) that I'm fine breeding together willy-nilly and ending up basically perfect for now.

I think CountAntonius linked a prettty good optimal breeding thread earlier in this thread or in the other one if you're not sure of how to work around getting optimal tems with the fertiility limits in game

Arrrammis

Oct 25, 2017
weird, Steam doesn't show that there's an update for me.

edit: Fully exited and relaunched steam, now it's showed up.

Deleted member 3190

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Oh my god. "Melon" is banned for usernames. I can't believe I'm going through this again.

Really sorry for the bump, but today after nearly 13 years my fucking headache is gone. My username just about everywhere is binarymelon and today it finally is on PSN.

Buckle up...

It's just two random words my university roommate and I picked one night while I was trying to select something unique when picking a domain name about 14 years, but it's become kind of important to me. I still remember signing up for my PSN ID back in 2006, entering 'binarymelon' and receiving a message saying it was unavailable. I couldn't believe it, every instance of the word on the internet was some reference to myself or my domain. I originally signed up for binarym_elon as an alternative, but didn't like it and created binarymellon instead (if I squinted it kind of looked like binarymelon).

I eventually got interested in who this a-hole that stole my name was, so I went add them as a friend to ask why they used it but apparently no user with that name existed. I tried to create a new account but got the same message. This is where I maybe went a little crazy and reached out to PSN support. This was early days of the PS3, so maybe it was because of how poorly they were doing at the time but I actually was able to get a case open. After a few days, they got back to me and got me in touch with someone who would be able to change my username for me (this was in 2007). While on the phone they tried changing my name but received an error (they never told me what the error was). So after a couple of attempts, they said they would have to get back to me. After a few more days, they reached out and told me that the name was not allowed.

I eventually realized 'melon' was a banned word, because PSN search was a contains search and no other users existed with melon in them (until they introduced the real name feature, which apparently didn't use the same banned word library or any at all). At least at this point, I knew someone else wasn't running around as binarymelon but it still bothered me that I couldn't have the username I used everywhere else.

I still occasionally checked to see if binarymelon was available because with account sharing I could still play my games with my new account (the sharing limits were also much better back at the beginning of last gen), but along came trophies and I was stuck, unless I wanted to get my Uncharted platinums over again (still need to get around to completing Lost Legacy).

Then when Shawn Layden announced that they were working on name changes and the eventual announcement of the beta I started to get excited. Maybe, just maybe when they were fixing this they would overhaul their banned word library. However, I got into the beta and still, I was not allowed to be binarymelon. I created a "bug" report for the beta but at least at the time, it went on deaf ears (or it was just low on the priority list). Eventually, the name change feature was publicly released and I still could not use my name. I would occasionally try again (usually around the release of a new firmware version; I think I last tried when 7.00 beta released), but it never seemed to work.

Today was different. Maybe it was the rain, maybe it was my son waking up crying a little earlier then he normally does (he fell right back asleep once I was awake), maybe it was an early Christmas present. I don't even remember why I tried to change it, but it worked this time.

I always thought it was a little interesting that Sony was able to change usernames as far back as the early PSN days (although there probably would have been negative side effects), but was a little afraid to discuss it openly on forums fearing that some troll might steal my name if melon ever became unbanned.

TL;DR melon is no longer a banned word for PSN IDs, oh and Sony was able to change names as early as 2007.

I'm guessing it's not possible to get a refund from GMG after redeeming the key?

Last edited:

Dinjoralo

Oct 25, 2017
Crema's deadass pulling an all-nighter to deal with the server issues. I hope they manage to get some rest after this is over...

texhnolyze

Oct 25, 2017
Indonesia
I'm thrilled that the early access launch is a success, congrats to the team!

I'm not buying it anytime soon though, not a fan of early access.

ANDS

Banned
Jun 25, 2019
Damn, the queues go down relatively fast now, but I keep logging in to a black screen. Frustrating as the gameplay is actually quite good and what I thought Pokemon S/S would be (having never played a Pokemon before).