• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Theswweet

RPG Site
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
California

McCarty has searched through the scientific literature from Arctic nations as part of a report she is co-authoring for the Arctic Council. "This is the type of fire event that would be described by these worst-case modeling scenarios that were supposed to occur mid-century," she said, adding that we may be 30 years early in seeing such fire impacts, which would require a reevaluation of how the Arctic is responding to global warming.

Throw me in a fire tornado if old. 2020 might be considered an outlier, if 2019 wasn't already trending this way on its own.

Soph

Oct 25, 2017
Yeah, climate change is here already, it's not in the future. It'll only get worse.

Jan 27, 2019
Fuck off
We're fucked, also the Orange Shitstain just undid regulation on methane emissions the other day. Methane is far worse than CO2 as it traps heat much more effectively.

Oct 31, 2017
Yeah, it seems pretty bad. Like, catastrophically bad to where I seriously don't know if I want to have children bad and I'm not sure if that seems ridiculous or not. I know that that is the number one way to reduce personal contribution to climate change, but even more than that, I feel like a new person born is only going to see some serious Hell on Earth type environmental/living conditions.

Kyuuji

The Favonius Fox
Nov 8, 2017
Recently finished watching Seven Worlds One Planet, the Attenborough documentary on the continents. In it he focuses a lot of the species around the disruption they've faced at the hands of humanity and climate change and it remains endlessly depressing what we've managed to do to the natural world here. Highly recommend it, especially in 4K for people able.

Last edited:

CoolOff

Avenger
Oct 26, 2017
I mean what is there even to say at this point. I am not going into complete apathy mode, but things like saving for my retirement in 40 years seems very low priority. If I can enjoy the rest of my 20s and 30s in a somewhat normal first world country I think that's where my main focus lies.

Apr 25, 2020
I mean what is there even to say at this point. I am not going into complete apathy mode, but things like saving for my retirement in 40 years seems very low priority. If I can enjoy the rest of my 20s and 30s in a somewhat normal first world country I think that's where my main focus lies.

Fuck me this is tragic but true

Vex

Oct 25, 2017
Don't have to cook your food if you're on fire.

Majin Boo

Oct 26, 2017
Nothing left to say anymore. I'm gonna continue to minimize my individual contribution to this catastrophe, fully aware that it is futile and without expecting any global effort to deal with this problem. 2020 proved once and for all that we as a species are entirely unable to handle any global issue, even if it is as simple and predictable as a global pandemic.

Strike

Oct 25, 2017
Just going by what people are doing during this pandemic, I've have little to no hope that we'll be able to at least mitigate the catastrophic effects on the environment the next few decades will bring.

Dec 23, 2017
It's always depressing to see articles like these every few years or so.

It makes me feel helpless and brings back my anxiety and severe depression.

I should look into what organizations are trying to fight climate change, and what solutions are being worked on.

jb1234

Very low key
Oct 25, 2017
My life is already probably halfway over at 40. I feel very sorry for those who are just starting theirs.

Temascos

Oct 27, 2017
It's frustrating to feel so powerless in being able to even mitigate this, and this pandemic has shown that even with obvious risks and consequences people will still be reckless and ignorant, and willfully so. They also hold too much power and when it comes to Climate Change they will stonewall even after mass migration and shortages affect the entire planet.

I do hope that things turn around (To at least stop the worst case scenarios), and still believe it's possible, but the window is narrowing quickly.

leenbzoold

Apr 5, 2018
Maybe we can trigger Yellowstone to erupt, so that all of the earth will be covered in a cloud of ashes that blocks the sun rays and everything can cool down again.

greenbird

Teyvat Traveler
Oct 25, 2017
It's not going to get any better, there's just way too much working against it. Most of the people with money and power who could push meaningful changes don't want to derail the gravy train. Most are older and won't be around for the worst of it. The sacrifices people need to make will become harder and harder, and I'm just considering those who acknowledge the problem. The deniers and bad faith actors aren't going away. We're a boiled frog in all sense of the matter.

ps3ud0

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
We can't reverse this, we just don't have the humanity to do so en masse. At least we repaired the ozone layer mostly so when we go extinct we didn't go for zero...

We really should stop calling it climate change as that what it was in the 80s this is a climate crisis since we really should have started to tackle it rather than squander time arguing if it even exists.

ps3ud0 8)

ruggiex

Oct 27, 2017
I've always felt the models were too conservative. It probably gets exponentially worse like pandemic.

Oct 27, 2017
Yeah, we've already reached the point where severe consequences because of climate change are inevitable. I'm afraid the 21st century will be characterized by climate-caused migration and conflict.

Capra

Oct 25, 2017
Consider that as bad as things seem here in 2020, this is all just a teaser for how we handle global warming even after we hit the supposed point where "we can't deny it anymore."

It's all downhill from here.

ClickyCal'

Oct 25, 2017
It does say this in the article though, to maybe easy up the nihilism a little here.
Still, there's reason to be cautious about making predictions for the rest of this year, scientists say.

For one thing, a study found that the record melt in 2012 would have happened with or without the cyclone. And other research suggests that Arctic cyclones can have complicated effects on sea ice, sometimes speeding up melt but also sometimes slowing it down, depending on other weather conditions.

Pop-O-Matic

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Consider that as bad as things seem here in 2020, this is all just a teaser for how we handle global warming even after we hit the supposed point where "we can't deny it anymore."
There will never be a "can't deny it anymore" phase. Roughly 40% of the population will continue to claim it's a liberal conspiracy to take away our rights and allow the Mexicans to invade even as they figuratively (and possibly literally) burn to death, and because of the fucked up way our government is organized they'll continue to have more influence than all the people who actually understand what is going on, all while the billionaires and trillionaires remain comfortably unaffected in the bunkers they're making just for this scenario.

Last edited:
Oct 28, 2017
This is why the idea someone posted as another thread, that we should focus on migrating to habitable areas instead of reducing emissions isn't really helpful in any way

Like yeah, we're failing hard at stopping climate change and in the next decades mass migrations on an unimaginable scale will begin

But what habitable areas? The Arctic is getting hit, too. Permafrost melting, wildfires everywhere, worse summer heat waves

Sure, the North will be fine for a while compared to the equatorial regions, but if we can't stop our emissions that's only some more time bought, in the end the whole Earth will get fucked

Last edited:

maxxpower

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
California
I wonder if we'll ever be able to control weather pressure systems or come up with any kind of geoengineering.

Last_colossi

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
Australia
I get it, the earth was fucked by humankind before I could have possibly done anything to help and now I probably won't even live to 70, don't really need the constant reminder every week tbh.

Edit: (Not thread whining, discussion about this is obviously important, just depressed is all)

Last edited:

JaseC64

Enlightened
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Strong Island NY
We are in the timeline where wearing masks is politicized and people argue its against their freedom.

Imagine the government or movement trying to curve global warming in the coming years. Yea it won't be possible with all the morons who will still wreck society because to them its "just hot" outside.

We always acknowledge its so damn hot outside (wherever you are) yet cant sit back and think its because the world is heating up not just some random occurrence.

Netherscourge

Oct 25, 2017
The same people who can actually legislate the change needed to slow this down are the same ones who think this is God's will or have all their money in fossil fuel stocks.

So, yes. We're doomed. Mankind doesn't deserve this world.

Green Mario

Oct 27, 2017
We are in the timeline where wearing masks is politicized and people argue its against their freedom.

Imagine the government or movement trying to curve global warming in the coming years. Yea it won't be possible with all the morons who will still wreck society because to them its "just hot" outside.

We always acknowledge its so damn hot outside (wherever you are) yet cant sit back and think its because the world is heating up not just some random occurrence.

Yep, my own goddamn mother is always talking about how it's never been this hot in her entire life but thinks climate change is some bullshit conspiracy theory the Democrats made up to control us somehow. Nah, it's just because it's the End Times, apparently. So infuriating.

nintendoman58

Oct 25, 2017
So we should be actively encouraging all climate activism to give up then.

If there's no point to it, give up! Let's start the #giveup movement. A movement that encourages people to stop fighting for any cause.

Honestly even I don't know if I'm serious or not.

Oct 27, 2017
Omaha
There will never be a "can't deny it anymore" phase. Roughly 40% of the population will continue to claim it's a liberal conspiracy to take away our rights and allow the Mexicans to invade even as they figuratively (and possibly literally) burn to death, and because of the fucked up way our government is organized they'll continue to have more influence than all the people who actually understand what is going on, all while the billionaires and trillionaires remain comfortably unaffected in the bunkers they're making just for this scenario.

and sadly prolly some significant percentage of wealthy liberals will claim it's a thing, but we don't need to take any drastic measures because a solution will be discovered later on, or (worse)how will industry work?

i was at a dinner party with two quite wealthy (execs) couples in their mid 50s and one of their SILs was arguing with the two husbands that climate change will be an extinction event. Their response was basically "that's absurd" and "well so what, there's nothing we could have done to stop it because the research wasn't public knowledge" lmfao. Their suggestion was "we can't tell people what to do, and someone will figure it out." Severely depressing prospect from rich liberal america. The people with the most resources and connections just don't care to change their habits to save even themselves.

dabig2

Oct 29, 2017

That's been my mode for a few now. It's basically the only way I can talk real about this, and not fall into a pit of despair. And we are far past the time for simply just talking real about it, change has to happen - and it has to happen very, very quickly - if we want to mitigate the impending collapse of our biosphere. And it's "mitigate" because we ain't stopping the warmining.

But we can still prevent a 4C+ nightmare scenario for the next couple generations. But even just doing that will require effort and capital that will make the combined efforts during WW2 look like a regular Tuesday. We can't just simply step off the accelerator like even most Green New Dream variants want, we have to hit the brakes fast.

I get it, the earth was fucked by humankind before I could have possibly done anything to help and now I probably won't even live to 70, don't really need the constant reminder every week tbh.

Ignorance is bliss and all that, but this kind of privileged attitude is why we're here in the first place staring down the barrel of a fucking tank. Cause those generations before ours also knew that the planet had a problem, but figured it should be spoken of only occasionally and without alarm.

And it's a fucked up attitude to have considering how many are suffering already thanks to biosphere collapse, and don't have the privilege to just ignore the threat from time to time because it's too much or depressing.
So I think you can handle the 1 or 2 weekly climate change threads (which are usually lucky to even hit 2 pages) when this shit is happening for others as we type.

For example:
www.newyorker.com

How Climate Change Is Fuelling the U.S. Border Crisis

In the western highlands of Guatemala, the question is no longer whether someone will leave but when.
In February, citing a "national-security crisis on our southern border," Donald Trump declared a state of emergency, a measure that even members of Congress from his own party rejected. Three months earlier, with much less fanfare, thirteen federal agencies issued a landmark report about the damage wrought by climate change. In a sixteen-hundred-page analysis, government scientists described wildfires in California, the collapse of infrastructure in the South, crop shortages in the Midwest, and catastrophic flooding. The President publicly dismissed the findings.
"As to whether or not it's man-made and whether or not the effects that you're talking about are there, I don't see it," he said. There was a deeper layer of denial in this, since overlooking these effects meant turning a blind eye to one of the major forces driving migration to the border. "There are always a lot of reasons why people migrate," Yarsinio Palacios, an expert on forestry in Guatemala, told me. "Maybe a family member is sick. Maybe they are trying to make up for losses from the previous year. But in every situation, it has something to do with climate change."

Guddha

Sep 5, 2019
This is just the beginning. Even if cut global carbon emissions to zero today and kept it there, the planet would continue to warm for another 20 years (the result of releasing 7 Mount Everests worth of carbon into the atmosphere since 89), and the world's leaders are more concerned with their economies than maintaining a world where human activities are possible. All of us are in for multiple decades of increasingly hotter and chaotic weather with leadership that buries its head in the sand while throwing more fuel onto the blaze. We can't avoid devastation at this point, but we have to fight these cult capitalists before they steer us into a literal apocalypse.

Astronut325

Oct 27, 2017
Los Angeles, CA
Isn't the IPCC 2050 worst case a sustained average at these temperatures? That said, the arctic shouldn't be that hot.

Edit:
If y'all want to do something about it, stop buying so much stuff. Don't get the latest phone, console and automobile. And reduce your meat consumption. If you can get people to change their lifestyles, governments will act.

Deleted member 60295

User requested account closure
Banned
Sep 28, 2019
So we should be actively encouraging all climate activism to give up then.

If there's no point to it, give up! Let's start the #giveup movement. A movement that encourages people to stop fighting for any cause.

Honestly even I don't know if I'm serious or not.

It's not entirely your fault if you are serious. Because this movement ALREADY exists, and is influencing the national and worldwide discourse on how we should death with climate change And while its threat pales in comparison to that of intentional, self-serving inaction by the powers that be, it is still a serious issue. Especially becayse the people leading it are generally not scientists, and regularly get their facts wrong for the sake of pushing the #giveup agenda.

https://alumni.berkeley.edu/california-magazine/summer-2020/michael-mann-on-climate-denial-and-doom

To paraphrase that famous quote, "The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is for good people to do nothing." Oh, sure, the deck may be stacked against us, but if people who actually give a shit proceed to STOP giving a shit, and tell others to do the same..... all they have accomplished is making the collapse of human civilization more likely. And this does not just apply to anthoropogenic climate change, but to every other ill plaguing our planet and society.

So if people wanna tell other people to just give up and accept our inevitable demise, go ahead... but they are part of the problem, and the rest of us would be best served ignoring them. Mind you of course, I'm not talking about people on resetera. We're all just venting, more or less, and doing it under screen names. I'm talking about well-known people who ARE aware how dire our situation is... and use their platforms to tell people to give up. TLDR: folks like Jonathan Franzen can fuck off into the sun.

Last edited:

mreddie

Oct 26, 2017
Things will get worse before it gets better, yes, change is coming but not soon enough.