• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

AfropunkNyc

Nov 15, 2017
Oh god i hope this doesn't effect steam. I'm gonna have to scramble and buy up telltale games, even though i have a large majority of their games already.

BasilZero

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Omni
Wish GOG Connect would be supported for this.

Also wish they would put these games on sale at the very least.

The only one I dont have in GOG (or steam) is Strong bad but I aint payin $20 for that.

Also I dont have any of the Minecraft games cause I didnt have the funds for it before they pulled it off the stores that sold them at a sale price.

Wish MS would re-release the Minecraft games at the least.

TWD4/Final Season is safe right?

Deleted member 1656

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
So-Cal
I nothing. You what? Piracy is the future for delisted games. The availability of Telltale games could be in jeopardy. DRM-free exes make piracy easier. It's fortunate that Telltale released DRM-free versions of their games and that DRM-free versions also exist from GOG.

I'm not recommending pirating these games. But it's possible that in the future if one wants to play them that could be their only option. Let's hope not.

Last edited:

Pottuvoi

Oct 28, 2017
Hoping for GOG sale, so I can archive some of them for possible future play.

GOG has got downloading updated games right, it's really important in cases like this.

excelsiorlef

Bad Praxis
Oct 25, 2017
Uh-oh. Time to panic buy Batman and Guardians of the Galaxy, I definitely want to play those.

Ha ha I just did exactly that off of Humble Bundle, got all three for 55$ not bad
GOG was selling them at twice the price I got off of HB, price you pay I guess for DRM free direct download, I just grabbed the steam keys from HB instead.

CommodoreKong

Oct 25, 2017
GreenManGaming has Steam keys for the 2 Batman games and Guardians of the Galaxy for $12.74 so you can get a little bit of a discount if you're looking for the Steam versions of those games.

Syriel

Banned
Dec 13, 2017
So, uh... Game preservation. That's important, everyone. I'm going to hunt down whatever Telltale Games have had physical releases just for collections' sake. So far all I have is Sam & Max Season 2, but I somehow missed out on SBCG4AP. That was never released physically, right?
That digital future is looking nice./s

If anyone wants to get the phisycal copies of these games should ASAP because they will get expensive.

Why the FUD around preservation?

GOG sales are DRM free.

Technically with nowhere to purchase it would surely be considered abandonware and therefore would not be piracy but rather preservation? I wouldn't want all the hard work the developers put into these games to be completely forgotten over time because nobody can actually obtain the games, that would be a huge loss imo.

I must say though, I really wish they wouldn't be delisted, these games deserve to be played and the people who created them deserve to be paid for their efforts.

No, that would be piracy.

Wanderer5

Prophet of Truth
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Somewhere.
Wow Guardians runs like shit on my phone, but Borderlands runs quite fine lol (granted it is a older game). Maybe I will look into Borderlands, since I am already liking what I have been through. I believe 2k is working on keeping it around least, since it already disappeared from a few places.

Feb 3, 2018
I have several Telltale physical copies that does not require steam thank god such as Monkey Island and Back to the future

Lirion

Oct 25, 2017
Wait, Telltale closed down? Man I must have missed that, I guess the announced Wolf Among Us 2 wont get made now. :(

clickKunst

Dec 18, 2017
Melbourne, Australia
What a disaster. I remember when Telltale first started as a way to keep point and click adventure games alive. Well, thank you TTG because it looks like adventure games survived longer than you did.

Dec 4, 2017
Small comfort is that when you buy from GOG you can download the non-Galaxy installer and burn it to a disc, technically giving you a physical version.

Oct 27, 2017
I own every telltale game except for the 2 batman ones , gotg, and the final season of twd. I'm really sad they're folding because I like all of their games even the old pre TWD ones. I even dig their csi & ncis games although I only own one of those on steam. If they'd make a full collection of telltale games available at a reduced price I'd totally buy it but I guess that's a pipedream.

Mass_Pincup

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Is GOTG any good?
It's the only one with TWD final season that I don't own and was wondering if it was worth it.

Tizoc

Oct 25, 2017
Oman

Detail

Dec 30, 2018
No, that would be piracy.

If there is no way to physically or digitally purchase the games, how can it be piracy? Surely preservation of what the developers have created at that point supersedes any moral conundrum over if it's piracy or not? Game preservation is important.

I mean, there will likely be a flood of people buying physical copies second hand on eBay now, the developers and publishers will get 0% of that money, you could argue that buying second hand is pirating games with that logic.

For the record, I am 100% against pirating games, it's stealing and there is no justifying it and I am not advocating for it.

All I can think of as an example is the game no one lives forever, it has been stuck in limbo in terms of digital distribution for years and currently the only way to play it is via fan distribution, at the end of the day, if it wasn't for that fan site the game would have likely been forgotten at this point and nobody would have the means to play it.

The same could happen to these telltale games after they stop being sold.

Last edited:
Oct 27, 2017
Is the Strongbad game any good? Not sure if i should spend $20 on GOG or $15 on PS3 or if it's just not worth it. Strongbad and Puzzle Agent are really the two main ones I don't have.

My library has a few of the games that would be delisted and I hope they would still work since they are physical.

Tizoc

Oct 25, 2017
Oman
Is the Strongbad game any good? Not sure if i should spend $20 on GOG or $15 on PS3 or if it's just not worth it. Strongbad and Puzzle Agent are really the two main ones I don't have.

My library has a few of the games that would be delisted and I hope they would still work since they are physical.
It's good. A funny and solid PnC adventure game.

Wingamestore has many of the Telltale games on there for anyone interested.

Deleted member 29237

User requested account closure
Banned
Nov 1, 2017
It is ok. I wouldnt say it is anything grand imo but it is ok.

If anyone is interested
https://www.amazon.co.uk/Law-Order-...rder+legacies&qid=1558683800&s=gateway&sr=8-3

I do not know if the key is region locked but this a decent adventure game from telltale's early years.

Thanks for this, I just picked it up! It didn't make any mention of region when I redeemed on Steam, just Law & Order Legacies Retail, so think it should be ok for US buyers.

Tizoc

Oct 25, 2017
Oman
Thanks for this, I just picked it up! It didn't make any mention of region when I redeemed on Steam, just Law & Order Legacies Retail, so think it should be ok for US buyers.
If you have an NVidia card, I'd suggest using it to apply SSGSS anti aliasing or just downsample for stuff to look cleaner.

Oct 27, 2017
Anyone know anything about Hector: Badge of Carnage? In looking at Telltale games I may have missed, this popped up as something they published but didn't develop. I am wondering if it's going to remain on the store and if not, is it worth a purchase.

Komo

Info Analyst
Verified
Jan 3, 2019
Sigh this is super dumb I hate how Telltales entire closure has gone. Can THQ just buy them outright and keep their IP alive.

Chudah

Apr 23, 2019

Strongbad is okay, but you really need to be into Homestar Runner to get most of the jokes. I'd highly suggest Puzzle Agent, though. It's one of Telltale's best, imo.

Rotobit

Editor at Nintendo Wire
Verified
Oct 27, 2017
I'm gonna guess the Homestar games will be republished at some point, assuming the rights to those games go straight back to Brothers Chaps. Would be awesome to have those ported up, honestly.

I imagine GoT and GotG are dead though. I'd be optimistic about Batman and Wolf Among Us, if only because Warner Bros. has its game division 'n all. I doubt we'll see new games, though.

Oct 25, 2017
Yall keep saying that someone should buy them to keep their IP alive

What IP? every single thing they worked on was licensed, including puzzle agent. There isn't any original IP to save here.

Chudah

Apr 23, 2019
Yall keep saying that someone should buy them to keep their IP alive

What IP? every single thing they worked on was licensed, including puzzle agent. There isn't any original IP to save here.

I know, right? The only thing I can think is that someone could possibly buy the company out of bankruptcy and assume all of the licensing agreements, but I guess that really depends on how the agreements are written. Could Epic swoop in and do that? Would they even want to? That remains to be seen.

Oct 27, 2017
Strongbad is okay, but you really need to be into Homestar Runner to get most of the jokes. I'd highly suggest Puzzle Agent, though. It's one of Telltale's best, imo.

Thanks. I watched it a long, long time ago and enjoyed it. I ended up just buying it on GOG in case it's gone for good. It sounds like it's a unique and fun game.

Tizoc

Oct 25, 2017
Oman
I never knew of Strong Bad til I played the game way back on the PS3 for the first time. I enjoyed it despite knowing nothing about Strong Bad series.

Chudah

Apr 23, 2019
I never knew of Strong Bad til I played the game way back on the PS3 for the first time. I enjoyed it despite knowing nothing about Strong Bad series.

Not saying you can't enjoy it, but you'd definitely get more out of it if you're familiar with Homestar Runner. Kinda like how someone can still enjoy Avengers: Endgame if they never watched any of the Marvel movies, but it's more enjoyable if you have.

Speaking of Homester Runner, if you've never watched the cartoons, the Brothers Chap have been slowly re-uploading them to Youtube.

Tizoc

Oct 25, 2017
Oman
Thats nest i tries to watch the series years back but coulsnt navigate their site properly for some reason.

RoboitoAM

Oct 25, 2017
So, uh... Game preservation. That's important, everyone. I'm going to hunt down whatever Telltale Games have had physical releases just for collections' sake. So far all I have is Sam & Max Season 2, but I somehow missed out on SBCG4AP. That was never released physically, right?
It's GOG, just keep the games on a disc or usb drive. Installers and all.

OmegaX

Oct 28, 2017
Thanks to GOG Connect I own TWD1&2, The Wolf Amongst us, Sam and Max, and Tales from the Borderlands on both services. I guess I should buy both Batman games now. I hope they do a final sale.

Sacul64

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
Most of Thier physical games are just episode 1.

HellBlazer

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 26, 2017
Anyone know anything about Hector: Badge of Carnage? In looking at Telltale games I may have missed, this popped up as something they published but didn't develop. I am wondering if it's going to remain on the store and if not, is it worth a purchase.

It's a decent point-and-click adventure game, and can be funny... but nothing really essential. Give it a shot if you're a big fan of the genre, otherwise it can probably be skipped.

Sankara

Alt Account
Banned
May 19, 2019
Paris
I seriously wonder if Steam / GOG key scalping will be a thing at some point. The Walking Dead Finale Season Steam Keys are selling for a ridiculous amount at the moment.

So much for non-scarcity on the Internet

Darknight

"I'd buy that for a dollar!"
Oct 25, 2017
The Walking Dead series isn't included in this right? They've already been handed over to Skybound right?

hikarutilmitt

Dec 16, 2017
Technically with nowhere to purchase it would surely be considered abandonware and therefore would not be piracy but rather preservation? I wouldn't want all the hard work the developers put into these games to be completely forgotten over time because nobody can actually obtain the games, that would be a huge loss imo.

I must say though, I really wish they wouldn't be delisted, these games deserve to be played and the people who created them deserve to be paid for their efforts.
Abandonware is still piracy. Only public domain would render it no longer piracy. The problem with that is that these are all licensed properties and the rights holders would be able to prevent it from becoming PD.

Honestly, this is what happens in any other medium. As was already mentioned, anything pre-digital gaming is pretty much in this case: if it's to re-released as part of a collection or on a digital service the only way to legally play them is to own the actual original physical copy. Books stop being printed. Movies get a release on disc and then no more printings are made until interest is generated or it reaches some semi-random anniversary to rerelease it.