• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Zombegoast

Oct 30, 2017
Okay, great. So don't check Biden when you go vote, leave that spot blank, and risk 4 more years of Trump.

Biden has been part of the problem for 40 years a long with Republicans that's been destroying country. This will continue on for another 40 years. You can continue playing this game, I'm going to focus on voting in the local election.

Coyote Starrk

The Fallen
Oct 30, 2017
If the democratic party and electorate do not want Joe Biden as their nominee they can and will find ways of making that happen.
For that to succeed though we need to pile on the pressure and hold their feet to the fire.
Just throwing your hands up and saying it's not possible or too late does not help to prevent a rapist from becoming the democratic nominee.
Even if the primary was over, with enough pressure Biden could be made to stand down and some sort of replacement would be found.
Completely ignoring who that replacement could or should be!
You would need almost the entire voter base and most of it's elected officials to rise up as one against Biden and you would need it to happen extremely soon.

And that's just not going to happen.

Dylan

Oct 28, 2017
Another reminder: you can't easily convince disenfranchised and cynical minorities to vote based upon threats of things getting worse when A.) Things are already bad for them, and B.) There's probably already ingrained cultural mechanisms for dealing with hardship. We know we'll survive, because we're still after all the bullshit white America has pulled to fuck us over across centuries.

Like, I deal with white supremacy all the time, Democratic or Republican administration. More of it isn't really all that scary when I live with folks old enough to remember experiencing Jim Crow and tell me about it. It might be scary to sympathetic white people finally facing the fact that this country ain't shit, but your existential crisis isn't my problem.

But in general the way to solve these feelings of hopelessness isn't to threaten, shame, and berate minorities who feel this way into doing your bidding. Empathy would be a better approach.

This is a really good point and well said.

Sidebuster

Oct 26, 2017
California
So, e.g. you wouldn't have fought in World War 2 because killing is morally wrong?
This has nothing to do with voting for a rapist and WW2 is not even equivalent in any way to this.

Another R replacing a D on the Supreme court and our country is fucked for the rest of our lives. Voting rights, womens rights, any kind of minority rights are literally going to be dead in the court.

I'm not saying what anyone should or should not do. But the court post-Trump is in a fucking precarious position for 30 years.

Personally, I'll swallow my pride and pull the lever that protects rights of those less privileged.

I'm not going to be shamed into turn my head away from rape and pretending it didn't happen so you're guy can make Supreme Court picks.

Descapp

Oct 27, 2017
Not american but if Trump wins because of this it's on the democratic party, not the people that doesn't want to vote for a rapist

iareharSon

Oct 30, 2017
I can sleep at night knowing that a vote against Trump means that the Supreme Court won't lean heavily right for generations, and that fundamental human rights won't be needlessly stripped away from our Society. I'll be able to sleep knowing that we won't have someone in office who values kickstarting the economy over the lives of the people he or she was elected to serve and protect.

astroturfing

Nov 1, 2017
Suomi Finland
how moral would it be to vote Biden, then demand him to be impeached, removed and jailed? tarnish his name permanently for the history books.

the VP taking over might be a decent person.

Redeye97

Banned
Apr 25, 2019
This has had to have been one of the worst Democratic primaries in my lifetime. The divisions among the party, Warren and Bernie's falling out, and now DNC's darling is potentially a rapist just like Trump.

People were already motivated to vote him out, all they had to do was find someone who wasn't a liar, a sexist, or a rapist. This was supposed to be one of the most important elections as well. So much was riding on Trump losing.

People, for the love of God, vote in your house and senate elections. They will ulimately be what ends up prolonging or dooming what remains of our civil liberties.

Oct 25, 2017
You know what else would affect me negatively for the rest of my life? Knowingly voting for somebody who's a rapist and being okay with that because they might put a D in a SC seat. I'm not okay with giving up my morals "just this once" (or whatever is the excuse of the day) for the potential of a future greater good.

Republicans aren't going to give a shit and vote for Trump. They are salivating at the idea that "the left" will not vote for their candidate while they keep doing so even if they are being accused about the same shit. This always happens.

If Trump wins the rights of minorities are fucked for the next 30 years at the very least with a potential 7-2 SC, if that doesn't terrify you then I don't know what to tell you. This without even going into all the other shit that he and his admin are impacting.

You know what? you should fight for the potential future greater good instead of giving up and giving the win to Reps, but it's up to you. I don't like Biden either, but this is reality and taking the High Road quite frankly hasn't done shit.

Erpy

May 31, 2018
Remind yourself of the stakes. They were already high before COVID-19 raised its head, now they're astronomical. It's not just the Supreme Court or the environment or the corruption or the abuse of power or the creeping authoritarianism or the attempt to blow up the ACA or the braindrain of the entire federal apparatus. It's everything at once. Trump is uniquely terrible and uniquely malicious and uniquely incompetent that it's worth remembering that however you may feel about Biden, a vote for him is an anti-Trump vote. The only effective anti-Trump vote at that.

It's nice to think that every problem in the world has a nice and clean solution. But that's not always how reality works. Sometimes you can end a problem in a way that feels good. And sometimes, like Alfred in The Dark Knight, you have to burn the forest down in order to stop the bandit.

Ryuelli

Oct 26, 2017
Biden has been part of the problem for 40 years a long with Republicans that's been destroying country. This will continue on for another 40 years. You can continue playing this game, I'm going to focus on voting in the local election.

Great, because I've literally said multiple times in this thread that if you don't feel comfortable voting for Biden, at least show up to vote for people in down ballot positions. Thanks for listening I guess?

Barzul

Oct 25, 2017
I'd somewhat agree before the recent stuff, but no-one should be forced the moral burden of supporting a potential rapist.
The problem is they are they're just doing it indirectly. It doesn't matter what lies they tell themselves they're supporting a rapist one way or another. But instead of making an affirmative choice, they're making a passive one and letting others choose for them. It's basic game theory. They're only two choices, a non-choice isn't an option it's just deferring to others to choose for them. Like what happens if Joe Biden loses? Donald Trump wins and if that happens their inaction helped that happen especially if they live in a swing state. It feels better I guess to individual but it doesn't diminish their role. It sucks this is the system we live in, I wish I did not have to vote for an accused rapist but when I'm looking limit the overall harm done to country I can either make that choice myself or let others do it for me.

Mivey

Oct 25, 2017
As always in live, you vote for the lesser evil.
The less evil rapist, that is. And Biden almost certainly is

TaySan

SayTan
Dec 10, 2018
Tulsa, Oklahoma
If you are not going to vote for the presidential please still consider voting for your senate and local elections. There is more to this election than just the presidential.

Deleted member 16657

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Then you increase the chance of the candidate wanting to outlaw abortion winning.

In this system it's not a choice at all.

If it's gonna be Biden or Trump, then not voting for Biden is tacitly voting for Trump. And not just Trump but his entire administration too, it's not just about the office of the presidency, but who is gonna be Secretary of Education, State, etc. and the Supreme Court. That shit has decades-lasting consequences.

Have we learned nothing from 2016?

For people with the privilege to engage in utilitarian morality, sure, they should swallow their morals and vote for the better rapist.

For the people who DON'T have the privilege - who would be profoundly affected mentally and emotionally because they don't want anything to do with a rapist - I can't see how anyone in good conscious can argue that they need to put themselves out there to vote blue no matter who.

Coyote Starrk

The Fallen
Oct 30, 2017
Not with that attitude.
Not with any attitude. Biden is too popular with the majority of Democratic voters and sadly these latest accusations don't seem to be gaining the level of traction they need to actually destabilize his support.

I know it sucks, but pretending that there could be some kind of dramatic condemnation large enough and popular enough to force Biden to step aside at this point with the lead he has and make way for another candidate is hopelessly optimistic at best.

Sidebuster

Oct 26, 2017
California
Republicans aren't going to give a shit and vote for Trump. They are salivating at the idea that "the left" will not vote for their candidate while they keep doing so even if they are being accused about the same shit. This always happens.

If Trump wins the rights of minorities are fucked for the next 30 years at the very least with a potential 7-2 SC, if that doesn't terrify you then I don't know what to tell you. This without even going into all the other shit that he and his admin are impacting.

You know what? you should fight for the potential future greater good instead of giving up and giving the win to Reps, but it's up to you. I don't like Biden either, but this is reality and taking the High Road quite frankly hasn't done shit.

And to make this clear, you can do whatever you want, vote or not vote.

That's the thing. I'm not giving up. The people who are enabling a rapist are giving up TODAY and saying they'll surely start holding everyone accountable next time.

Stooge

Oct 29, 2017
Is it more or less ethical to ignore the single greatest threat to our species (climate change) in order to achieve the feeling that you personally didn't help a person accused of sexual assault win the presidency over a guy who has paid thugs to threaten violence against the families of the people he assaulted? I don't see any heroics here.

It's insane to me that climate change is mostly agreed upon by the left as the biggest issue but it can be so quickly overriden by what has already been known for centuries (that the people who run for office are monsters). How long do we have to wait for a person to show up on the ballot who will be both an ethical human being and also fight to save the planet? I'm not sure its wise to wait for something that isn't likely to ever happen under the current political structure.

I think you are seeing a lot of things happen.

1) Credible rape threats are horrible and Biden was a shaky candidate prior to today and now has a credible accusation of rape. Which is hollleee shit levels of awful and obviously makes his candidacy more precarious. We need answers on this, because this makes him a horrible human, but unlike Trump also flies in the face of his stated values and everything he has ever said about womens rights.

2) Lots of people on this forum like Bernie and the first 5 pages of the accusation thread yesterday are a graveyard of people acting like their sports team just scored. Which yikes, talk about using women as objects and not actually giving a shit about rape, rape-culture or the problems of toxic masculinity.

I think the reaction you are seeing now is a mix of people who are abhorred by the accusations against Biden and a mix of people who see an opportunity to move their preferred candidate into the nomination.

People generally responding to 1 is one thing, but there is a whole lot of #2 happening around here and on the twitterverse today and is fucking horrifying.

Deleted member 4346

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Another reminder: you can't easily convince disenfranchised and cynical minorities to vote based upon threats of things getting worse when A.) Things are already bad for them, and B.) There's probably already ingrained cultural mechanisms for dealing with hardship. We know we'll survive, because we're still after all the bullshit white America has pulled to fuck us over across centuries.

Like, I deal with white supremacy all the time, Democratic or Republican administration. More of it isn't really all that scary when I live with folks old enough to remember experiencing Jim Crow and tell me about it. It might be scary to sympathetic white people finally facing the fact that this country ain't shit, but your existential crisis isn't my problem.

But in general the way to solve these feelings of hopelessness isn't to threaten, shame, and berate minorities who feel this way into doing your bidding. Empathy would be a better approach.

Thank you! This really needs to be said. We lived through slavery, Reconstruction, Jim Crow, and state-sponsored terrorism during the 20th century as well as continued institutional racism post-Civil Rights Era, the targeted prison-industrial complex, racial profiling, and murder by police. Four more years of Trump is awful but it's no worse than what we've already survived.

Fuck a Joe Biden. He's the system of which Trump is the symptom instead an outlier. The idea that it's privilege that keeps us from voting for him is stupid and it doesn't move me at all.

MrNelson

Community Resettler
Oct 25, 2017
Living in a swing state, I feel I don't really have the luxury of being able to protest vote (or abstaining for a race), especially when a lot of our elections come down to razor-thin margins. Whoever has a (D) next to their name is getting my vote in November. Even if they lose in the end I'd rather not let my inaction contribute to making it easier for shithead Republicans to win.

Scuffed

Oct 28, 2017
Biden is most certainly a multiple time sex offender so it's a tough situation.

Either Way vote local stuff and states stuff regardless unless of course they are sex offenders too.

Lentic

Oct 27, 2017
I don't think people understand. Biden is not going to beat Trump with these allegations. Republicans might be willing to overlook rape, but many Democrats are not. Especially not when Biden will come out looking like a massive hypocrite.

Oct 25, 2017
Sweden
here's the thing

there is still a way to avoid a scenario where you get a rapist (whether with a D or an R) into office in 2021

do everything in your power to take down biden in the primary. bernie still has a mathematical shot at taking the nomination without fuckery

i feel like if biden is nominated the general election is doomed. enough democratic-leaning voters would not vote for a rapist. the best way to stop children in cages and trump is to beat biden in the democratic primary election

it sure is a good thing that bernie didn't take the advice of some posters on here and dropped out, huh

Snake Eater

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
The more we know about Biden the less anger and hostility I feel towards those who don't vote

Kaako

Oct 25, 2017

Great points echoed throughout this thread & well said. Empathy is definitely a better approach.

Stooge

Oct 29, 2017
I'm not going to be shamed into turn my head away from rape and pretending it didn't happen so you're guy can make Supreme Court picks.

He isn't my guy. I didn't vote for him in the primary and I don't like him. But ok.

I just like Roe V. Wade being settled law. I like voting rights protections. I like the EPA being allowed to function at all.

OP
OP
Chrome Hyena

Chrome Hyena

Oct 30, 2017

You are probably right. And perhaps I made this thread out of more anger than anything else. but I am also a black man and I live in MO. Im in a big city, so it's fairly liberal, but try driving anywhere outside of the city, and its an entirely different world. I've been pulled over for driving a nice car while black, sat on the side of the road in handcuffs with a gun on me "for the cops protection" while my 5 year old son at the time sat in the back crying. I've seen these racist, maga hat wearing fuckers saying slick shit and daring to get hit. I've been followed numerous times by police for nothing. so I experience it, and I also know the only remedy to this is the courts and new, more liberal laws being enacted by pushing the country left. So for me, another four years of Trump is not acceptable under any circumstances, and it guarantees a world in which my son and daughter will 100% be less safe, and less free in. I can't let that happen. I have to do all I can to ensure it doesn't happen. which is why I can't afford for the SC, or any more federal judges, to go conservative.

And yeah I have a grandma who is 84 years old and lived in the South (Arkansas) most her life, so also know the stories of how fucked up things were, and if she is willing to still risk voting because she knows a republican supreme court will absolutely revert this world back to a time many of us don't want.

Kasumin

Nov 19, 2017
The way I look at it, I am voting with a gun to my head. The gun doesn't belong to Democrats, it belongs to Republicans. If the latter wins, my future and the future of those I love is essentially done for.

I'm a POC and a woman. Republicans want me and the people who look like me to suffer and die.

With a gun to my head, I'm going to choose the option where the trigger doesn't get pulled. For me, it is as simple as that.

Call me a hypocrite, but voting for a president means voting for heads of departments, FEMA, supreme court justices, and so on.

I want a future. It's looking like my only choice for a future is to be a hypocrite. I can live with that because I also want my family and loved ones to have a future.

I'm not mad at Democrats so much as I am at Republicans for elevating a madman to the highest office even though they knew better.

Life is a matter of perspective.

FliX

Master of the Reality Stone
Oct 25, 2017
Metro Detroit
Not with any attitude. Biden is too popular with the majority of Democratic voters and sadly these latest accusations don't seem to be gaining the level of traction they need to actually destabilize his support.

I know it sucks, but pretending that there could be some kind of dramatic condemnation large enough and popular enough to force Biden to step aside at this point with the lead he has and make way for another candidate is hopelessly optimistic at best.
I really don't get the defeatist attitude.
I would have much more sympathy for the hold your nose and vote for Biden stick if we were in November.
Right now anyone who has ever claimed a progressive mantel or supported #metoo or spouted believe women in the past should be fuming and doing everything tho get this story the traction that it deserves.

Redeye97

Banned
Apr 25, 2019
I think you are seeing a lot of things happen.

1) Credible rape threats are horrible and Biden was a shaky candidate prior to today and now has a credible accusation of rape. Which is hollleee shit levels of awful and obviously makes his candidacy more precarious. We need answers on this, because this makes him a horrible human, but unlike Trump also flies in the face of his stated values and everything he has ever said about womens rights.

2) Lots of people on this forum like Bernie and the first 5 pages of the accusation thread yesterday are a graveyard of people acting like their sports team just scored. Which yikes, talk about using women as objects and not actually giving a shit about rape, rape-culture or the problems of toxic masculinity.

I think the reaction you are seeing now is a mix of people who are abhorred by the accusations against Biden and a mix of people who see an opportunity to move their preferred candidate into the nomination.

People generally responding to 1 is one thing, but there is a whole lot of #2 happening around here and on the twitterverse today and is fucking horrifying.
Many of the people celebrating Biden of getting accused of rape are the same people who accused Warren of lying about Bernie's remarks about a woman becoming president. For many this is more out of convenience than morality.

Oct 27, 2017
On top of this, at least to me a person defending either and making excuses is no better than the supporter of the other. They both done reprehensible things and have yet to be taken to task for their crimes.

I disagree, and I'll use argument by hyperbole to demonstrate (in good faith):

Superman is fighting Doomsday, who is attempting to destroy the world, and it is revealed that Superman raped someone in the past. Wishing for Superman to defeat Doomsday (and aiding him) is not morally equivalent to supporting Doomsday. This is an extreme, but demonstrates that does exist a grey area between acts of various evils.

What about the third choice of not voting for a rapist at all?

That's valid as well, but if the worse person wins then some of the fault lies in anyone who did not vote for an alternative. Not all the fault, of course (or even majority), but some. In these situations fault is a path, with many points along the way with various actors. The final actors are the voters.

RedMercury

Blue Venus
Dec 24, 2017
This is gross. Do I think Biden would be a net improvement due to executive orders and SCOTUS judges? Yes, but you cannot shame people into voting for a rapist, especially not victims.

Aaron

I’m seeing double here!
Oct 25, 2017
Minneapolis
I will be voting in November for whoever the Democrats nominate as president. It's very hard for me to see a circumstance in which this isn't the case.

Of course, if the current allegation against Biden is true he should be swiftly removed from the race so the DNC may nominate another candidate in his place.

Oct 27, 2017
There have been multiple accusations and stories told by women about Biden's invasion of space, and worse. One of the women recently tweeted that even after telling her story, she would have to vote for Biden if it came down to it. A vote is not an endorsement, and it should stop being treated as such.

On the debate stage, only Bloomberg was taken to task over this type of behavior. The other candidates could have addressed this with Biden, but did not. And though the DNC gets blamed around here for things they aren't involved in, this is one thing that the DNC should be addressing as candidates run in the party - do the oppo research and vet the candidates.

It's still a long way to November, and one of the women's experience has been recently newly disclosed.
Leave people alone please. Because of the electoral college, every state has its own situation - and in some states the majority of votes will be assured already. Allow people deeply affected by this to process, feel, and make their own decision when election day comes. It would be irresponsible to do otherwise.

Stooge

Oct 29, 2017
Many of the people celebrating Biden of getting accused of rape are the same people who accused Warren of lying about Bernie's remarks about a woman becoming president. For many this is more out of convenience than morality.

This.

You can set a watch to this shit.

Fuck Biden, but fuck anyone trying to use this for their agenda.

Deleted member 4346

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I don't think people understand. Biden is not going to beat Trump with these allegations. Republicans might be willing to overlook rape, but many Democrats are not. Especially not when Biden will come out looking like a massive hypocrite.

If you can stomach it listen to the audio tape that came out this week. Look at clips showing how Biden gropes, publicly, women and even young girls. Do people honestly believe that this won't be all over YouTube, Facebook, and TV all general election season? Do you think that Trump won't use this against Biden this fall? Democratic voters care about this stuff in 2020.

Cerulean_skylark

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account.
Banned
Oct 31, 2017
The way I look at it, I am voting with a gun to my head. The gun doesn't belong to Democrats, it belongs to Republicans. If the latter wins, my future and the future of those I love is essentially done for.

I'm a POC and a woman. Republicans want me and the people who look like me to suffer and die.

With a gun to my head, I'm going to choose the option where the trigger doesn't get pulled. For me, it is as simple as that.

Call me a hypocrite, but voting for a president means voting for heads of departments, FEMA, supreme court justices, and so on.

I want a future. It's looking like my only choice for a future is to be a hypocrite. I can live with that because I also want my family and loved ones to have a future.

I'm not mad at Democrats so much as I am at Republicans for elevating a madman to the highest office even though they knew better.

Life is a matter of perspective.

Your problem is that you're being pragmatic. This is a space for blind idealism.

People are dying, our wealth is being siphoned, we're losing our place on the world stage.

Biden might be terrible, but he's not Trump and anyone making that comparison is blind. But sometimes people want to shoot for the moon when they haven't even built a rocket.

Status
Not open for further replies.