• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

L Thammy

Spacenoid
Oct 25, 2017
It can be any genre, it can have any plot, as long as it revolves around '90s fad toy Pogs (or its generic version, milk caps).

how-to-play-pogs-13287kkmx.jpg

p01rp4gstz681p3koy.jpg

Only the member with the best idea is allowed to leave this thread. The rest of you who have wandered in here shall be cursed to remain forever.

Karlinel

Prophet of Truth
Banned
Nov 10, 2017
Mallorca, Spain
Don't?

If you must, shamelessly plagiarize Yu-Gi-Oh. Make it an action adventure where you have to fight or fuck other extremely horny pog hunters so you can find the lost treasure of Ramses II and summon Quetzalcoatl before the evil Zeus destroys your village. Pog fights would be based on Triple Triad, because I don't get copyright.

spman2099

Oct 25, 2017
I think you could do a really funny, irreverent Pogs RPG. Something along the lines of Golf Story crossed with Pokemon. A world where the only thing anyone wants to do is play Pogs. Battle opponents, claim their Pogs, and level your Pogs up. Maybe add an elemental alignment to the slammers, and give Pogs abilities. I could see there being a really entertaining game there. Though I think it needs to have a satirical edge to it, which would mean you would need a competent writer to helm it.

Jawmuncher

Crisis Dino
Oct 25, 2017
Ibis Island
It's like Dino Crisis but the incident happens at a Research Facility where pogs were REALLY popular due to the head researcher.

So throughout the game, you need to collect various different pogs to unlock doors and complete puzzles. Killing dinosaurs will also drop pogs you can use for other things or just to collect (they ate them while roaming around). Near the end of the game, you get access to a super pog launcher (Think Doom's BFG) that you use to defeat the last boss.

Every physical copy will come with this Slammer
unknown.png

-----

More or less, i'll take the pogs and make the game I want. Kinda like that Skittles game.

louiedog

Oct 25, 2017
My friend had a Pog maker which was basically just a kit to stick printed images to a blank and cut them out. He of course used a copy of Penthouse that he stole from his dad to make illicit Pogs. You can probably guess what he used for the slammer. So, I guess my contribution is this thing needs user generated content.

Rodney McKay

Oct 26, 2017
It would need an extreme physics simulation for perfectly replicating the playing of it.

Might work well in VR.

Zephy

Oct 27, 2017
I could see it as one of those free to play mobile games you can play with one finger.

Oct 30, 2017
Earthbound type rpg. First person battles with characters using slammers with unique abilities to attack enemy pogs. The more each character's collect, the more customizable they are. Alf is the final boss.

Jakenbakin

"This guy are sick" and Corrupted by Vengeance
Jun 17, 2018
Wasn't there a pretty big gacha game a few years back that was just literally slamming disc shapes around a game board? Missed opportunity, sad.

I can't hate on the RPG ideas though, give me a pog skin on Pokemon: The Trading Card Game and I'm good for it tbh.

adj_noun

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
One of those anime things where everybody in the world is obsessed with a single game

www.youtube.com

If UNO Was an Anime

Original Comic:http://dot-emcee.tumblr.com/post/124928460247CAST:Yuno/The Protagonist - Majinboo0111 (https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCxbpTzAkrhTsNztYR_A4Ly...

well, in this world it's pogs

can you defeat the grand pog master, pogo

will you discover the secret of the mysterious disc girl

will you wield the mystical powers of the slammer your father left you for justice or darkness

what is the mysterious Allen League Federation and what hidden pogs could it hold

Zan

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Whatever the genre, it should have Twitch interigation. That would be...

...pretty...

POGGERS.

i'll show myself out.

GravaGravity

Oct 27, 2017
Make it like Ringo Ishikawa: spend a like a month as a dead-beat pogger in a open world pointless pogging around eventually coming to the realisation that pogging never mattered... And yet you still must pog

RiOrius

Oct 27, 2017
It would need an extreme physics simulation for perfectly replicating the playing of it.

Might work well in VR.
I feel like you could either do it full physics sim, or full rules-based abstraction. Either can totally work, but personally I'd prefer the latter. The former would just lead to chaos, which can be fun for fifteen minutes, but if you really want the game to have legs I'm gonna want depth. I'm gonna want to be able to have pogs with on-flip effects and I'm gonna want to customize my slammer with slotted gemstones and whatnot, and in a physics sim that'll just add up to "lol" but in an abstract rules-based system it could be a real game, y'know?

I supposed you could still have something physics based just to play out the animation of what the rules determine happened.

Freshmaker

Oct 28, 2017
I think the key is to make pogs cooler and more dangerous than before. Solid METAL pogs with a Neodymium magnet as a slammer. Also an edgy supernatural murder mystery should be running throughout the tournament.

pikachief

Prophet of Truth
Oct 25, 2017
Mobile gacha

Wait till summer for the bikini pogs, people are gonna love it.

GDGF

Oct 26, 2017
A game in which you have to get Shane MacGowan sober before his next performance.

Oh you said POGS.

My bad.

Tavernade

Tavernade
Sep 18, 2018
Barkley, Shut Up and Jam: Gaiden but all of the references to basketball have been replaced with massively out of date, intricately researched pog references.

skobuffs

Mar 21, 2021
VR with online multiplayer, each POG is an NFT and you get to legally own your opponent's POGs if you beat them. Maybe start a new blockchain based on the pog economy. It explodes in popularity and POGs end up being the dominant worldwide currency.

Big Powder

Oct 25, 2017
I like to imagine an RPG where you start off as a suburban kid playing Pogs when the teacher isn't looking, slowly building up a collection that you win from other players and betting them off for each match (you can retry, as many times as you like, you just might be stuck with a default basic pog that you start with). Eventually, you graduate from the schoolyard and start playing in backroom games and private gatherings, and eventually you are invited to be in a televised World Series of Pogs kind of thing. Throughout, you come up with another guy who is kind of a soft rival that ends up betraying you in a meaningful enough way that your penultimate battle with him in the tournament, before fighting the world champion, is a very emotional affair.

Kapryov

"This guy are sick"
Oct 27, 2017
Australia
From what I remember of pogs, the only fun was actually collecting the interesting looking ones. The game itself wasn't actually fun, or child me didn't think so anyway.

So I suggest a return to the "toys to life" scenario, the pog gets scanned and you get to play as whoever/whatever is on the pog with their own abilities, it will be multi-genre depending on the character/series the pog is from. The actual "game" of pog will still exist as a minigame as well.
It'll probably be a lot cheaper to produce pogs than plastic figures as well, they can put the money towards licensing instead. Alf pogs!

onpoint

Neon Deity Games
Verified
Oct 26, 2017
Mascot platformer with this guy, but then in-between levels you play Pogs against other characters

pogman1.gif

Yes I know it sounds a lot like Yo! Noid on the NES. I mean... that's what I think this property deserves.

But I actually liked Yo! Noid, so... I'd play it.