• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Lightjolly

Oct 30, 2019
Tell us what kept you going through it, whats so special about that game, to keep you playing it for hundreds, maybe even thousands of hours? (aka every warframe player)

Why does it have such a herculean grip on you?

Nov 8, 2017
Heroes of Might & Magic III

It's unsurpassed in it's genre - nothing that came out later ever replicated it, despite 4 direct sequels.

might_and_magic_iii_e48ehn.jpg

Tons of factions, tons of heroes, a host of simple but fun interrelated systems - you level up heroes, you build up towns, you fight tactical battles, you scour the map for strategic control. Great music, nice spritework on the world map (the tactical unit pseudo3d stuff isn't good tho). Extremely fun for short bursts or marathon sessions, and great to play multiplayer.
Totally worth becoming a daddy for.

sosainas

Sep 13, 2018
Dissidia Final Fantasy: Opera Omnia

I've been playing it since its launch, 3 years ago. More than 2000 hours in.

Very f2p, has the perfect turn based combat system, and it's just pure fanservice for FF fans.

stn

Oct 28, 2017
I'm not sure if it is indeed my most played game ever, as there was no time tracking feature, but I believe its Super Street Fighter 2 Turbo: Hi-Definition Remix (XBLA). I'm a huge SF fan and the introduction of online play back in the day was mind blowing. Also, I was a good enough player that, almost every night when I would log on, I would play against some of the best SF2 players in the world. We would play matches all night and chat at the same time, it was really amazing.

Deleted member 59109

User requested account closure
Banned
Aug 8, 2019
Probably Smash Ultimate, and it's mostly because of Ridley. I mean I like Smash games in general, but this was definitely the one I put the most time into and if Ridley wasn't in I'd probably have like half the time.

Síriocaz

Oct 19, 2019
I think it's Age of Empires II. I've played it countless hours since my childhood. Something curious is that I rarely play it as an RTS, more like a city builder. I typically start a random map with 8 players, purposely weakening 4 or 5 AI controlled players, let flourish with 1 or 2 and I ally with the rest. To defend myself from annoyances the enemies launch, I use the classic Cobra cheat code, which are also what I use to keep my enemies on check. Hours pass by and I carefully build my main city, and then extend to the rest of the map, establishing borders and fortifying cities accordingly. Sometimes I let an enemy live but with very limited resources and lock them up so they can't expand.

I don't know, I play this game very wrong.

Pirateluigi

Oct 27, 2017
I have no desire to calculate just how many hours I put into WoW. Multiple hours a day, every day, for years.

It helped that my (then) wife played too.

zMiiChy-

Dec 12, 2017
I have played Final Fantasy 14 for over 6,000 hours and I think it sucks.

I keep paying a subscription because I own 2 furnished and decorated mansions in the Lavender Beds that I don't want to lose.

mindsale

Oct 29, 2017
I played World of Warcraft longer than any other title, between its social appeal and customizations and expansions' addictive endgames.

Pancracio17

▲ Legend ▲
Avenger
Oct 29, 2017
Probably Smash Brothers. Pick a top tier.

Real talk though, fighting games are a treasure. You can get the most adelante filled fights in gaming in that genre.

Last edited:

Cenauru

Dragon Girl Supremacy
Oct 25, 2017
Have you heard of our Lord and savior, Final Fantasy Fourteen?

Joking aside, what keeps me in where other long-term games fail to hold me is how much emphasis there is on making your character feel alive and part of the story. I'm usually a gameplay-driven kind of person, but FFXIV manages to make a world I actually care about and lets me actually express myself in it with a character/ avatar I absolutely adore.

I'm 8200 hours in and still counting.

Jamesways

Oct 28, 2017
Minneapolis
For Honor, love the combat system, love the customization, or as the ex-wife used to call it "Barbie Dress up Knights". Nothing beats the stance system IMO.
I've sunk 1,400 hours into it the last 3.5 years.

Skyrim and DS were the others close to those kind of hours.

I just beat Sekiro and can see myself putting a few hundred into that, but FH always keeps me coming back. They've done a hell of a job supporting it with new characters, weapons, armor, maps, events for 4 years. Props to Ubisoft for that.

dtcm83

Oct 28, 2017
This will likely pale in comparison to the MMO players out there, but I've probably put a total of 600 hours into Skyrim across multiple platforms/versions. That's a lot of time in one game for me since I almost never play games that are typically time sucks (MMOs, GaaS games, competitive shooters).

What kept me going back to it and playing more over the years? Huge world, love the gameplay, love the lore, love the music, and mods really kept me going back. It's my favorite RPG of all time, easily.

EDIT: Fun fact - I've never beat the main quest.

GOOCHY

Oct 29, 2017
It's probably close between Diablo 2, Dark Age of Camelot, and Call of Duty 4. Though Warzone and Rocket League are definitely getting close.

JudgmentJay

Nov 14, 2017
Texas
World of Warcraft by far. Something like 20,000 hours, most of which were concentrated in the first 3 years after launch. It was the community (specifically my guild) and the competition for server first boss kills that kept me going in Vanilla/TBC. After TBC I played on and off casually until Legion at which point I went hardcore again, and that time it was competing for top world DPS parses in heroic/mythic raiding that kept me interested.

Windforce

Dec 8, 2017
It's between Guild Wars and Diablo II - surely thousands of hours each.

Diablo II had a very nice gameplay, addicting loot system, it was just so much fun and improved so much upon Diablo which was already great. Playing online, the ladders, grinding level ups, the expansion, even the salt fest with nerfs, everything was just pure fun.

Guild Wars for its amazing PvP, I don't think I'll ever experience PvP like that. Playing Monk was the most unique support class experience I ever had, unfortunately they did away with it in Guild Wars 2.

Ramirez

Oct 26, 2017
It's either WoW, Halo 3, or Destiny 1/2. The /played on any of them would be embarrassing, lol.

Lobster Roll

signature-less, now and forever
Sep 24, 2019
One of my staple "go-to" games when I'm just kinda bored and want something happy and fun is Stardew Valley. I'd guess that even with titles that I've replayed over and over and over and over (like Earthbound maybe 40 times), I've still played more of Stardew. There's nothing that quite beats managing your farm and just growin' crops and selling milk and stuff. It's so relaxing.

TinTuba47

Nov 14, 2017
Ghost Recon Wildlands.

i picked it up in 2017, and just haven't stopped playing it. I play campaign or co-op, I love it. Lot of people shit on the game, but if you remove the HUD elements and crank up the difficulty it becomes incredibly immersive and fun. I like to sometimes play it like Skyrim, just exploring and seeing what happens.

I've got over 700 hours on it

turbobrick

Oct 25, 2017
Phoenix, AZ
Counter-Strike

Back in mid-2000 when I was looking for fun half-life mods, this seemed like the most popular one. At the time it was the most fun I've had in an online multiplayer game, and the userbase was large, so there was always games to join. I've probably put well over 4000 hours into the game, because I was in jr high and high school and had nothing else do to other than play video games.

Of course the updates to CS:S and CS:GO have just added to the game, and the level of play has changed so much. Back in the beta days you really didn't see strategy like you do now, and was more of a team deathmatch but with objectives. I still play CSGO, but not that much, and have mostly been playing Valorant instead lately.

ConfusedOwl

Oct 27, 2017
Canada
RuneScape and Diablo 2 are up there for sure. Maybe the only two games that reach or exceed 1000 hours. I'm addicted to the grind you could say. Otherwise the runner up is Final Fantasy XIV at 500+ currently. With 6.0 on the horizon that will likely get to there as well. The great thing about FF is that those hours weren't all spent on grinding and instead spent on exploring a compelling world with interesting stories to tell, a rarity for an online game. The hours in Runescape in contrast were spent on mindless shit like fishing, woodcutting, mining, and smithing. I love that game to death but it's like watching paint dry sometimes.

Mupod

Oct 25, 2017
I'll probably never catch up to WoW no matter what else I do. From release up until around a year into Burning Crusade it was basically all I did with my free time. Which sounds pretty sad but I was living alone, working graveyard shift for barely above minimum wage, and trying to save money for college. The game was the only social life I could have had, not only that but it helped with social interactions a lot - I could barely talk to people before I started spending all my time talking to friends in the game. Hell the first time I got asked to get on voice chat I almost had a panic attack.

So even though I put 300+ days (as in 7200+ hours) into the game over the years I can't say how much of that was 'playing' it. Like, every single person I knew was playing the game back then so we didn't even use IM clients anymore. I'd just log in and talk to everyone most of the time. MMOs back then weren't like now where there was a constant treadmill of stuff to do...at most you could go mine or pick herbs or something, 5-man dungeons didn't give much of value if you were a raider. So people just did what they felt like, PVP or socializing or whatever. I'd imagine it would seem painfully boring to a younger person who grew up online but there was still a lot of novelty to the concept.

overthewaves

Sep 30, 2020
I think it's Destiny 1 on PS4. PS5 hour thing shows 2200+ hrs. It was the one of the few games I played through college.

Zachary_Games

Jul 31, 2020
Battlefield 2. My competitive profile had nearly 800 hours on it. Between all my profiles I definitely put in close to 1,200 hours.

Second place is CoD4. I was in the ballpark of 600+ hours.

xChildofhatex

Oct 25, 2017
I think there was a stretch of time during my college when all I played were Command and Conquer 3 and Warcraft 3. I might have a thousand hours logged on these two.

Once I started working, I think I played Mass Effect 2 to completion at least a dozen times with different choices, romances etc. to prepare for ME3 though that was time completely wasted, imo.

Last generation, I might have had 4-5 playthroughs on Bloodborne and a handful on Xcom 2.

Oct 25, 2017
I'm ashamed to say it's a mobile game; One Piece Bounty Rush. I just can't put it down. But it's damn fun. I love 3D Arena brawlers, and the powers and abilities of all these wacky One Piece characters make for such an easy pick-up-and-play-a-couple-dozen matches. I've easily put in 25-75 minutes a day since I picked it up mid 2020. Wouldn't be shocked if I'm at 500 hours of playtime by now.

Before this I would have said Animal Crossing: NH, but only because I can confirm it's at 120 hours of playtime in the system menu. Other than that I never really stuck with many multiplayer titles, and mostly played single player games that top out at 20-60 hours max, so it wasn't a high bar to cross.

Astraea

Oct 25, 2017
Canada
86Ghyqs.jpeg

Though it's actually quite a bit higher.

I don't play much these days. I just log in when there is new story content or raids.

-Tom

Aug 11, 2018
Halo 2 probably. I played that game every single night from 2004 to 2007 (when Halo 3 came out) for hours on end. I'd hate to even guess what the count would be...

mhayes86

Oct 27, 2017
Maryland
I'd have to guess that mine might be World of Warcraft. I played the closed beta, open beta, and vanilla until 2006, but I'm sure my time played was at least a couple months worth of time. I still have a few screenshots of the Dreadlord invasion from the end of the beta.

I played it with friends from work and even my girlfriend at the time, so it was partially a social thing which sucked me in. Once my girlfriend and I broke up, I dropped it and never touched another MMO again.

Elfgore

Mar 2, 2020
Stellaris. Something about taking humanity from a single planet across the galaxy is just amazing. Discovering all the interesting anomalies and colonizing all these unique worlds, it just sucks me in. I'm pushing 500 hours on it now and I'm sure that will only keep growing.

It helps too that it's the perfect game to play while watching something or listening to music.

Oct 25, 2017
United Kingdom
Mine is probably Twisted Metal 2 World Tour. It's one of my favourite PS1 games of all time.

I played the hell out of it as a kid, always going back to it inbetween getting new games. Driving fast, smashing and shooting the shit out of the opponent's, great levels and characters / vehicles, it was a blast to play.

Buttonbasher

Dec 4, 2017
430 hours in Animal Crossing New Horizons. Playing it gives structure to my day, and helps me feel like I'm progressing something each time, which isn't always true for my regular days. It's safe, and positive, which has been crucial for getting me through the last year.

IDontBeatGames

ThreadMarksman
Oct 29, 2017
New York
Old_School_Runescape_Logo.png

I've played Runescape from 2007 to about 2016-2018. It's easily the number one game in terms of being my most played ever. There's just so much to do on it and it's gameplay despite being a point & click game is so addicting. The best part about Runescape is that it never feels like anyone is doing the same thing as you, everyone has their own goals and things that they're trying to achieve on a day-to-day basis. As a kid, I learned so much from this game just by playing it and leveling up skills such as Woodcutting, Smithing, Mining, Farming and more. I literally got 99 Woodcutting, 99 Fletching, 99 Firemaking, 99 Cooking all within the years I've played and was fairly close to 99 Fishing and Farming next as well. It's such a simple game but there's so much to do on it. There's minigames, quests, achievement diary and honestly, it just makes for an overall good time. To add to all of this, there's so many damn skills to level up in this game that's almost impossible to not be busy or be motivated to do something the more you play.

Like, look at this:
Skills_tab.png

Runescape just has so much to do on it and it's such a beloved game that I keep on debating as to whether I wanna go back to it or not because of how much I used to love it as a kid. Also, Sea Shanty 2 is a banger and anyone who's ever played Runescape knows this.

d0VYBxq.gif

tenor.gif

dodo667418

Knights of Favonius World Tour '21
Oct 28, 2017
Across PS4 beta, PS4, PC, Switch, Xbox One X and PS5, it's definitely Rocket League for me. I should be at ~1000-1500 hours and that is a lot for me, I rarely play any single game longer than 30 hours, no matter how good it is. Though this is also accumulated over more than 5 years.

I don't have any game activity tracker for Genshin Impact, but I might just come close to perhaps 500 hours if I had to guess? I just love the game and still play it daily for an hour at least, also several more whenever events are going on. At a certain point I was even playing on two accounts, so I'm fairly certain I've played at least 500 hours. Not sure though how much exactly though.

Much

The Gif That Keeps on Giffing
Feb 24, 2018
Old_School_Runescape_Logo.png

I've played Runescape from 2007 to about 2016-2018. It's easily the number one game in terms of being my most played ever. There's just so much to do on it and it's gameplay despite being a point & click game is so addicting. The best part about Runescape is that it never feels like anyone is doing the same thing as you, everyone has their own goals and things that they're trying to achieve on a day-to-day basis. As a kid, I learned so much from this game just by playing it and leveling up skills such as Woodcutting, Smithing, Mining, Farming and more. I literally got 99 Woodcutting, 99 Fletching, 99 Firemaking, 99 Cooking all within the years I've played and was fairly close to 99 Fishing and Farming next as well. It's such a simple game but there's so much to do on it. There's minigames, quests, achievement diary and honestly, it just makes for an overall good time. To add to all of this, there's so many damn skills to level up in this game that's almost impossible to not be busy or be motivated to do something the more you play.

Like, look at this:
Skills_tab.png

Runescape just has so much to do on it and it's such a beloved game that I keep on debating as to whether I wanna go back to it or not because of how much I used to love it as a kid. Also, Sea Shanty 2 is a banger and anyone who's ever played Runescape knows this.

d0VYBxq.gif

tenor.gif
I relate to all of this so damn hard. It really is a damn great game, at least OSRS is. Used to play it a lot back in the day, probably from 2007 - 2013 ish? I had a lot of time in it either way, but what an absolutely legendary game.

texhnolyze

Oct 25, 2017
Indonesia
If I'm not counting MMOs, it's gonna be Fallout 4. 400 hours and still counting, mostly due to mods. With mods, there are countless new content that you can enjoy from time to time. There are even a whole new set of storyline that adds 70+ hours of gameplay. I started playing FROST recently, and it's probably the best survival game ever.

Siobhan

Oct 28, 2017
My most played is probably Demon's Souls or Dark Souls due to getting so into dueling in those games.

Playing Monk was the most unique support class experience I ever had, unfortunately they did away with it in Guild Wars 2.
Guild Wars tricked me into thinking that healing was fun. I mean, it's not a bad role in other games, but god damn nothing can come close to the fun I had monking 12v12s in AB. I never did get into the GvG, unfortunately. I'm sure it would have been a lot of fun, but coordinating with 7 other people always seemed like too much of a hurdle.

OldDirtyGamer

Apr 14, 2019
This is really hard as i dont have solid numbers. I would guess i have quite a few games that come close to each other.

Mortal Kombat 2 - i used to literally sit in the arcade all day playing this with friends for the longest time. It has to be near the top for sure.

Guilty Gear - on dreamcast i played this with my friend daily for countless hours. Then when it came to Xbox , its probbaly my most played XBL game of all time.

Street Fighter Alpha 2...3? Again another fighter on PS that me and my friend spend a ridiculous amount of time on.

The first COD Modern Warfare? On 360. Straight addict on this game

Guitar Hero / Rock Band / Amplitude /Frequency - all of these, probably close. Wasted so much time on these haha

So basically a bunch of fighting games / music games

Bradford

terminus est
Aug 12, 2018
I don't play any GAAS games or anything.

My most played games in order are probably...

Demon's Souls (500+ hours)
Dark Souls (500+ hours)
Dark Souls 2 (200+ hours)
Dark Souls 3 (200+ hours)
Bloodborne (500+ hours)
Fallout: New Vegas (300+ Hours)
Super Smash Bros Melee (1000+ Hours)

There isn't much to say about why. They're all excellently designed games, some of the best ever made, with lots of replay-ability and variance in playstyles especially when going for repeat runs. No two run needs to look the same in any of these games.

I suppose, if you count Rocksmith as a GAAS game, I am at like 100 hours in that too. But I don't really consider that on the same level nor really the same design as other GAAS stuff.

HonestAbe

May 19, 2020
Tribes/Tribes 2.

Loved the fast pace, skilled nature and competing at a high level with the "clans/tribes" I was in. We scrimmed, practiced, or had matches almost every night during the peak. Team work was essential but also individual skill. We were some of the best-of-best and it was a hell of a lot fun. I would play for hours trying to find new ski routes, play some for fun, or just duel people. It was so satisfying to make amazing plays in that game. Plus listening to shoutcasted matches even.

The only thing close right now that has reminded me of it is Sea of Thieves. Competing in NAL and just some of the shit my crew gets into in Adventure mode.