• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Hadok

Feb 14, 2018
i really like this official picture:
Ehpj6j3WkAIDfkE

episode 1 is about Tyler
episode 2 is about the relation between the two
episode 3 is about Alyson

shaneo632

Weekend Planner
Oct 29, 2017
Wrexham, Wales
I found episode 2 a bit dull tbh. Doing the police investigation/store cleanup/graveyard hunt back to back just made it feel like busy work. Also a bit miffed by that final revelation but curious to see how it plays out in ep3.

Princess Bubblegum

I'll be the one who puts you in the ground.
On Break
Oct 25, 2017
A Cavern Shaped Like Home
I watched this video last night and thought it was good (some spoilers for all episodes but not a review of them all). The host is a trans woman and she has a trans man join her in discussing Tyler and the game.

jb1234

Very low key
Oct 25, 2017
The game didn't climax in the way I thought it would but it ended up being decently satisfying regardless.

leng jai

Nov 2, 2017
The attempts at "gameplay" are pretty bad here, the looking for files section was beyond tedious.

sredgrin

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I actually quite dug the little puzzles in this. Probably the most interesting ones of this style of game I can think of, which tends to forgo them completely.

Story wise it's probably my least favorite Dotnod game. Not terrible but also just doesn't have the room to grow that their other games did.

Plum

May 31, 2018
Dammit. I was all ready to play Chapter 3 but the game goes through the opening logos and then just dumps me back at the desktop.

Whhhhhyyyyy

Kain-Nosgoth

Oct 25, 2017
Switzerland
In ep 2 at the beginning, i moved out too fast and couldn't do all the interaction in the house.... if i go back in chapter select, will that delete my current savefile? I'm at the police station now

BoboBrazil

Attempted to circumvent a ban with an alt
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Finished chapter 3.

got the ending where Tyler was leaving the house at the end to live with Alyson and Michael in Juneau. Guess this is the good ending

For me, this is probably my least favorite of the Dontnod games. Felt like a slog at the end and I really didn't feel any attachment to the characters like in the Life is Strange games. Felt like the final chapter was rushed too.

Luminish

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Denver
I'm curious what's your take on Dia Lacina's review of the game?
Not the person you're asking but i have similar experience and have been thinking about that review a lot while playing it.

Mostly I wonder if Dia Lacina isn't a big DONTNOD fan in general, because their games have always had a real comfy feel to them and a much bigger focus on the smaller interpersonal true to life drama than the big mystical dramatic mystery that serves as its backdrop to add just a spice of page turning motivation. That's not putting it in bubble wrap out of fear and making it boring, just translating it to the DONTNOD style. Like, I feel from that review she'd find it boring in previous games where you're encouraged to sit for a long time and listen to a specific song as the camera pans around a slice of life panorama. But that's obviously not paint by number safety, that's bold commitment to style.

I'd feel a little icky if this was them just wanting to get trans sales by being a by the numbers safe inclusion of a trans person, and I can understand if she got that impression. But I think it makes total sense for them to include a trans character to tell the type of story they wanted to tell, and they did right by it while doing so.

It plays a huge role in a DONTNOD story when it's a grounded realistic character trait making him relatable to people like me and unique to others. It plays a large functional role in the primary theme of the game, which is separation and reconnection, balancing out a little bit of the blame in cause for separation, and causing friction with reconnecting to the community the sister is attached to. And it plays a small role as a red haring in the page turning mystery backdrop.

There should be stories about uncomfortable themes of violent transphobia too, but getting deep into the nitty gritty of transphobia would have been distracting overkill for this type of story. Adding it might not have been problematic, but it probably would be worse for the game.

Oct 25, 2017
I finally was able to sit down and complete the game.

The final episode was absolutely my favorite, and I think it cements Tell Me Why as my favorite Dontnod game. I should be careful to clarify that I was not a huge fan of either LiS1 or LiS2, which I think firmly plants me in a very weird space as far as fans of theirs typically go. In fact, I outright disliked LiS2. Now that that's out of the way...

Tell Me Why manages to tell a story that feels small in all the ways I didn't realize I wanted. I'm so used to playing games that always seem to have a strong need to move from locale to locale at breakneck speed, and be dragging the player along to the next insane story beat. Tell Me Why seeds an interesting mystery, to be sure, in its first episode, but I found that as the story proceeded it was all those small moments between the twins that drove me to love this game. There's such an earnest love for these characters that oozes out of every pore of this game. It's genuine, and it's felt. It's frequent. It's simple, and yet, I don't know how many games I've played where I can say that simple felt quite as real as it did here. Which is actually super fucking weird, considering some of the stuff relating to how memories are seen in the game. Even the areas with their grand, beautiful vistas contrast with these small, cozy spaces you 'live' in in this game. It feels like a place, always, even when it's being a videogame about it.

Being a cis person, I can't speak to this part of the story with much detail, but I can say that Tyler is an incredible nuanced and strong character and I loved the time I was able to spend with him. I think I can only understand a sliver of the excitement trans people get being able to have such great representation on screen. Dontnod I think has made incredible headway here in giving something the trans community has asked for for a long time: a legitimately good trans character that breaks out of the mould of being purely defined by their transness. It's a delight to see and I couldn't be happier to see that others have felt the same way, especially the trans community.

I think Dontnod as a developer still needs to do a lot of work to make the 'game' parts of their games better. The act of actually playing the game was nowhere near the quality of watching things unfold. I greatly enjoyed the puzzles, simple as they were. Hopefully Dontnod's next game gets a bit more adventurous with its gameplay.

Dontnod misses a *lot* more than they hit for me, overall, but this is basically a home run here, in my opinion.

Princess Bubblegum

I'll be the one who puts you in the ground.
On Break
Oct 25, 2017
A Cavern Shaped Like Home
Did anyone else feel this?

With Allyson
The panic attack scene was so god dam realistic it was actually kind of scary. It felt so real.
Yes. I have a panic disorder and this got uncomfortably real, thankfully I'm on medication. Probably the most realistic subjective depiction of one I've seen in media.

Hadok

Feb 14, 2018
It's a really good Dontod game (well i love all of their games for a lot of reasons) but i think it's their most intimate and deeper story so far.
Yeah i can see why it could be their best game for some people.

Agamon

Aug 1, 2019
Did anyone else feel this?

With Allyson
The panic attack scene was so god dam realistic it was actually kind of scary. It felt so real.
Definitely. To the point I was getting really anxious trying to do the app mini game and failing every time. And not even really realizing it until the min game was over. Had to pause the game for a bit...

Agamon

Aug 1, 2019
I really enjoyed this game. Not quite to the level of LiS, but better than LiS2. Looking forward to Twin Mirror.

BoboBrazil

Attempted to circumvent a ban with an alt
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
What are the chances this will be upgraded for the Series X when it comes out in November? Kind of want to do another playthrough, but will wait if it's gonna be upgraded.

Hadok

Feb 14, 2018
Why did the game asked me to review the first episode after the end of episode 1,but it didn't ask me for the other episodes after i finished them?

Sydle

Oct 27, 2017
Finished it last night and loved it. It has my favorite cast and setting of DONTNOD's games and I loved the relationship between the twins.

I'll end up playing this again at some point, maybe going for a different ending. I missed several collectibles as well.

hob982

Oct 27, 2017
Does this game support HDR on PC? I see no selector in game even with HDR enabled windows-side.
I launched it that way and I think gamma is too.... bright? I prefer HDR off atm.

dojo32161

Sep 4, 2019
My eyes finally feel somewhat better after surgery, so I managed to finish the last episode, I enjoyed it a lot, probably my personal favorite of the Dontnod games, but I can't say I've ever been a big fan of LiS as a series. Really enjoyed all the characters here, had some good nuance without ever feeling like they were completely bad or completely great (mmm... aside from Michael, he's a chill lad), I love how some minor characters only existed for self contained subplots like Alexander or the doctor just being there to solve the mailbox bandit, the relationship between the twins was fun and I enjoyed learning about Mary-Ann, though I kind of wish we could have learned even more about her as well. But overall, pretty solid.

The Lord of Cereal

#REFANTAZIO SWEEP
Jan 9, 2020
I beat this game last week and totally missed the OT, but I have to say that this is easily my favorite Dontnod game yet. The themes covered in the game even outside of the obvious ones were all really well done, and the gameplay was all pretty well done and enjoyable. I feel that every emotional beat except for a couple smaller ones all hit exceptionally well.

I will say this though, I hate that on PC the default settings had a frame rate capped at 30fps which made everything feel sluggish, but once I removed the cap everything felt awesome.

Oct 27, 2017
Just beat the game but I was missing a few collectibles.

Does anything happen when you place all 13 collectibles in the shed loft? Can't seem to find an answer anywhere.

Ricker

Oct 27, 2017
Beautiful Province of Quebec.
No idea what to do with all the puzzles to open the chest in chapter 3...book of Goblins my ass,I hate doing this but I need to look up a walkthrough...they could of given you another option like the door puzzle earlier in the game,to just break it open or something.

dojo32161

Sep 4, 2019
No idea what to do with all the puzzles to open the chest in chapter 3...book of Goblins my ass,I hate doing this but I need to look up a walkthrough...they could of given you another option like the door puzzle earlier in the game,to just break it open or something.
...But that is an option

Hadok

Feb 14, 2018

what?it's very simple actually.

CampFreddie

A King's Landing
Oct 25, 2017
I though this was great. I'll defer to trans people on whether they got the representation right, but it seemed good to me.
It's probably a bit "too nice" compared to the reality of a trans man returning to a small town home where everyone knows him as a murderer - but depicting a lot of anti-trans bigotry in the game would probably be too harsh and just reinforce negative stereotypes.

One question about the ending.
I confessed to Eddie. Does this affect the ending?

An ending spoiler about Sam, which apparently only about 25% of people do.
If you confront him in episode 3, the letter at the end has him leave town. He's joined AA and is moving on, staying at someone's lodge and fixing their boat in exchange. This is probably the good ending for him, compared to the more popular ending of him staying as a well-meaning town drunk still trying to preserve Mary-Ann's memory

Perhaps you missed some of the dialogue cues, but the answers are quite easy to find.
Look in the book for the story that matches the picture, then read it. Click on the things mentioned in the story, and in some cases in the same order as in the story

Ricker

Oct 27, 2017
Beautiful Province of Quebec.
Okay I finally figured a few puzzles myself lol but had to look a few of the optional ones up...anyway,I got a good ending although I am wondering a few things.

When they went back on the docks after solving the barn stuff,I only had the options to choose Tyler's choice,which was the one that leads Alyson killing Mary-Ann...they did mention after that she was going to killer herself though,even if Alyson didnt kill her...was I suppose to have 2 choices...? And I close the House up a final time with Tyler,can you do that with Alyson instead depending on your choices through the game ?

Anyway,besides a few fetch quest type sections,especially in EP.2,I though it was awesome,Alyson was great,the voice acting was incredible,some gorgeous scenery and graphics,cant wait for Twin Mirror.

Hadok

Feb 14, 2018
Okay I finally figured a few puzzles myself lol but had to look a few of the optional ones up...anyway,I got a good ending although I am wondering a few things.

When they went back on the docks after solving the barn stuff,I only had the options to choose Tyler's choice,which was the one that leads Alyson killing Mary-Ann...they did mention after that she was going to killer herself though,even if Alyson didnt kill her...was I suppose to have 2 choices...?

You have two choice.One on the left,one on the right.

And yes,my ending was different.I played Alyson in the last part,and she stays in the house.Tyler is in Juneau.Alyson wrote a last chapter in the goblins book.

Deleted member 864

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I finally got around to finishing the third episode over the weekend, and I enjoyed it. I liked seeing how the story played out as well as getting to know the central cast of characters, I really liked Tyler and thought him and Alyson were a great set of lead characters, and overall it's another fun ride to experience from Dontnod.

I think I got the "happy" ending; Tyler, Michael, and Alyson are moving in together, Tom lost the election and Tessa left him, Sam is going to AA meetings, Tyler and Michael are dating, and things seem good for the most part.
Just beat the game but I was missing a few collectibles.

Does anything happen when you place all 13 collectibles in the shed loft? Can't seem to find an answer anywhere.
Late response, but you get an achievement for doing that.

Hey Please

Avenger
Oct 31, 2017
Not America
I am currently on Ep/Ch 2 and the combination for the locked box has me scratching my head. I am set on unlocking it instead of the other option. To that end and without spoilers can anyone tell me:

Does the answer lie in the book in general or the specific story the painted symbol refers to - 'Goblins earn their Voice'

Hadok

Feb 14, 2018
I am currently on Ep 2 and the combination for the locked box has me scratching my head. I am set on unlocking it instead of the other option. To that end and without spoilers can anyone tell me:

Does the answer lie in the book in general or the specific story the painted symbol refers to - 'Goblins earn their Voice'

the specific story.
Just look carefully ;)