• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Rogue Kiwi

Chicken Chaser
Banned
May 5, 2019
What a fantastic start to the series. Getting seriously good LIS vibes, I love that they've gone back to focusing on a small town. The atmosphere in this game is incredible as well.

I'm super excited about the release schedule too, I've always wanted one of these "telltale" games to do a weekly release.

Such a step up from the massive disappointment that was Life is Strange 2, Dontnod showing they've still got it.

SunBroDave

Oct 25, 2017
Just got into the house, so maybe 45 min to an hour in, but man the experience so far has been pretty rough. The game is really slow, and the script so far is really bad, like "actively pushing me away" bad. LiS2 didn't have a particularly strong opening either, but I think this one is even weaker.

Idk maybe I'll get the urge tomorrow to pick it back up.

StudioTan

Oct 27, 2017
Finished it tonight and really liked EP1. The shot of the police station at the end with
the shadow figure standing at the foot of the stairs
creeped me out LOL.

Look forward to seeing what happens.

Jokerman

May 16, 2020
Firstly, loved the game. Definitely in for the duration. Though did anyone find the performance a little lacking, certainly compared to LiS2? Almost as if they used a different engine or something. This was on an Xbox X.

Princess Bubblegum

I'll be the one who puts you in the ground.
On Break
Oct 25, 2017
A Cavern Shaped Like Home
For me, this is easily the weakest first episode of Dontnod's narrative driven adventure games. There's a lot of interesting set up, just need the last two episodes to be way more substantial.

Ardonet

Jun 13, 2019
Ugh, game wasn't in game pass in Russia, but at least it was on steam, and now Microsoft locked it on steam also.

Sauronych

Jan 29, 2018
Ugh, game wasn't in game pass in Russia, but at least it was on steam, and now Microsoft locked it on steam also.
Actually, can someone create a thread about this? I feel like this deserves more attention.

Some more info:

Less than 24 hours ago Microsoft removed the game from Steam in a few, shall we say, "conservative" countries. Same thing happened to the Windows Store version a couple days before.

hEi7JUm.png

Now, I'm sure most of these countries actually have laws that prevent the publisher from selling the game, but as a Russian I'm specifically concerned about Russia and Ukraine.

In Russia we do have the idiotic law about "non-traditional relationship propaganda among minors", but from what I've been able to gather, the content of Tell Me Why doesn't actually violate it. There hasn't even been any outrage among local bigots that usually demand bans in cases like this. In fact, the release of the game went relatively unnoticed.

The Ukraine thing I can't even begin to explain. After the revolution they've only been improving the LGBTQ+ rights situation.

When Microsoft was first contacted about the Windows Store removal, they had stated that it was due to an error and the game would come back soon. Today, regarding the Steam removal, they said the following:
Official comment from Microsoft said:
The availability of games can vary between regions. The decision is made based on a multitude of factors, with the main priority being a better gaming experience for the users.

They refused to provide a specific reason, so until they do, I'm going to assume this was an act of self-censorship, which is pretty damn pathetic.

Last edited:

Hadok

Feb 14, 2018
Official trailer for chapter 2-3 :

i didn't watch it ! i am strong hehe !

edit: oups.I wasn't fast enough ah ah.

mtlspider

Oct 26, 2017
Chiming in and cross posting from the PC gaming OT.
Censorship and game delisting seems to be the case for Singapore too, at least.
Censorship board here is touchy but wildly inconsistent over the kinds LGBT/"anti-religious" media it decides to ban or cut.

Examples:
Star Wars Rise of Skywalker got its same-sex kiss scene banned.
The Last Hangover is dropped from Netflix due to apparently not portraying religion in a good light.

GraphicViolets

Resettlement Advisor
Oct 25, 2017
well it's not really that they've gone back to focusing on a small town or not.
It's just a different game made by different people.
The game is not made by the Life is Strange team.
thats interesting because it has a very similar feel. I guess a lot of that is in the delivery of the dialogue which might be done by a voice director (is that the right term?) who does it for whichever dontnod game is needing it atm

Hadok

Feb 14, 2018
Well also it's a 3 episodes game,and the "small town" setting make the game easier to make.
I think we've probably seen most of the locations in the first episode.

LiS 2 was a bit too ambitious for the team(as they said),they were making a new game with each episode (new locations,new characters,new plots,etc).
Probably a nice challenge for the creators,but also too much work.

The small town setting makes also sense because one of the first inspiration for the story was the book "Sharp Objects",according to the game creator.

Princess Bubblegum

I'll be the one who puts you in the ground.
On Break
Oct 25, 2017
A Cavern Shaped Like Home
Firstly, loved the game. Definitely in for the duration. Though did anyone find the performance a little lacking, certainly compared to LiS2? Almost as if they used a different engine or something. This was on an Xbox X.
Tell Me Why uses UE4 just like LiS2. They must have fucked up if performance on an Xbox One X isn't rock solid. This is not a demanding game, at 1080p anyway.
I can only get resolution options up to 1920x1080 on PC (Game Pass). Is this normal? Was hoping to play in 4K :\
I couldn't get DSR to work with it on Game Pass, only goes up to 1080. (1080p monitor)

Last edited:

Barneystuta

Nov 4, 2017
Episode 2 drops tomorrow!

I like the way they've phased it over 3 weeks and not making us all wait weeks or months between episodes.

Hopefully similar titles follow suit going forward.

Jokerman

May 16, 2020
The Xbox version is 7GB then another 4GB when you are prompted to install it in the MS store. Just download it all in one go already.

Oct 27, 2017
I really enjoyed it and can't wait for chapter 2 (and am so happy we don't have those long life is strange waits in between episodes).

Performance on a one x is frustratingly choppy though. Kind of surprised to see that's the case

Ya, remember Life is Strange 2 being fine on a PS4 Pro. So this is weird.

Jonnykong

Oct 27, 2017
Finished chapter 2 about 20 minutes ago.

I thought it was only ok, much preferred chapter 1, but this still had some nice moments and good character development. I'll be interested to read other people's interpretation of the end scene cos I'm not quite sure I got it, but I'm also tired after a rough day at work.

I'm not overly convinced the central story is interesting enough to carry the whole thing, but I do feel invested enough now to wanna know what happens.

The part I liked the least was in the
police station where you had to pull out different files from various boxes. It felt like it went on FOREVER

Somnia

Chicken Chaser
Oct 25, 2017
This wouldn't let me update from the xbox app, so weird. I had to install it from the microsoft store itself for chapter 2.

Bedameister

Oct 26, 2017
Germany
Just finished it. It was solid but I don't know, I'm not really hyped for EP3 right now. Whereas EP1's cliffhanger was kind of exciting this felt rather bland. I fear the end of the story won't be that exciting in the end.

matrix-cat

Oct 27, 2017
How do you get Episode 2 to start installing on Xbox? I've tried looking for updates and it isn't finding anything.

Hadok

Feb 14, 2018
Finished episode 2.
i missed one collectible :(
Solid episode for character developpement,ending was a bit weird.Not sure what it was supposed to mean.

i've read in some reviews that episode 2 is the weakest of the 3.We'll see.

dojo32161

Sep 4, 2019
I actually preferred episode 2 to 1, I preferred its pacing, though, as mentioned earlier
That police station file section was really tedious, could only keep track of one file at a time, so it was just kind of a slog to go through, going back to the compute to look up another even if you memorized it. Also, was it just me, or was Mary-Ann's autopsy report box just missing? Couldn't find R662 anywhere.