• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Gdourado

Oct 1, 2018
Lisbon, Portugal
My favorite game is still before the storm.
But that isn't a DONTNOD game, so...
I just feel like deck nine did a better job at this sort of games.
The pacing was great, and way better than any other life is strange.

this one, being also just 3 episodes, might have a better pacing.
I am just not feeling the kind of emotional attachment to characters I got with the first life is strange and then before the storm.

let's see how the second episode plays out.

SuikerBrood

Jan 21, 2018
Those with a review code... how did you access Chapter 2? I got a code, it told me I could play all three chapters but I can't access Chapter 2 until Sept 3. What am I missing?

The Windows 10 version? Check your library of games if Chapter 2 and 3 are installed. Those are separate installs. Should be in your library.

Rosebud

Two Pieces
Apr 16, 2018
I wonder if early decisions interfere in the ending, or it's like LiS.

Because

I couldn't get Tessas's confession, but don't feel like replaying just for that

Hey Please

Avenger
Oct 31, 2017
Not America
So, I just reached this part before putting the game down yesterday

aJx35an.jpg

And boy does the game look phenomenal with its unique tone graded cel-shaded aesthetic; a better evolution of LiS's aesthetic I could not have asked for.

However, on the flipside, as good as the game looks, presumably owing to its small budget, the animation system, sans improved lip syncing, has failed to improve in a commensurate fashion. So, there have been very touching and heartfelt moments in the game thus far that sort of fall flat due to the stilted and awkward animation system.

This game is a reminder that I would rather take mediocre visual fidelity paired great animation system esp. for a title like this. I got over LiS's and LiS BTS's animation issues owing to their last gen origins but I cannot do that for this title (I have yet to play LiS 2). While I cannot expect devs to improve the animation system for the upcoming Episodes of this series (owing to their release schedule being close), I do hope that they allocate more resources to the animation department so that it be on par with their world, object and other sfx fidelity for their future projects.

Hadok

Feb 14, 2018
However, on the flipside, as good as the game looks, presumably owing to its small budget, the animation system, sans improved lip syncing, has failed to improve in a commensurate fashion. So, there have been very touching and heartfelt moments in the game thus far that sort of fall flat due to the stilted and awkward animation system.

i really don't understand,I think the animation was overall really good.There's a lot of subtles animations in the game,eyebrows,eyes,etc.
The way Alyson look at ther brother,how she moves her head etc...it's very touching.
And it's very well down.

Hey Please

Avenger
Oct 31, 2017
Not America
i really don't understand,I think the animation was overall really good.There's a lot of subtles animations in the game,eyebrows,eyes,etc.
The way Alyson look at ther brother,how she moves her head etc...it's very touching.
And it's very well down.

The full cutscene ones are decent enough. However, game features substantial amount of out of cutscene animations and among those I have instances of stilted animations. Early on Tyler and Alyson are on a barge:

t3INs2Q.jpg

And there were times when Alyson would turn her head awkwardly and her eyes would not line up exactly with Tyler which made exchanges a touch too awkward.

On a positive side I have noticed an uptick in DONTNOD's ambition by way of letting characters instigate and continue conversation from more natural positions without then confining them in the rather ubiquitous dialog bubble that games like Mass Effect, Horizon Zero Dawn, Dragon Age, Deus Ex etc rely very heavily on. In this way it is closer to what CDPR are trying with C2077. The issue is that the breadth of key frame animations and blending techniques required to pull off such a feat in the most polished manner necessitates far more resources (time, money, resource and labour).

So my criticism does come with that understanding.

Vir

Oct 27, 2017
Western Australia
Just finished this today and really enjoyed it. Looking forward to what's going to happen in the next few chapters.

Also the game looks fantastic!

Xiofire

Prophet of Regret
Oct 27, 2017
Quite enjoyed this one, definitely paced it out and enjoyed it in bursts which I think helped.

Glad they're pacing them out right and not leaving us months between chapters too.

Looking promising, as someone who hasn't had the spark from a Dontnod game properly since LiS1.

Hadok

Feb 14, 2018
Then you are an easier customer to please than me. 👍🏼

ah ah yeah :)
i played all of the Dontnod games ,so trust me,the animation is Tell Me Why is one of their best animation works :)
And i finished Wolf Among Us not so long ago and oh boy animations in those TellTale games are not that good ah ah.

AuthenticM

Son Altesse Sérénissime
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Jawmuncher Just want to say that I appreciate the thread title. Also, the pertinence of the color scheme that you used in the OP did not go unnoticed from me.

craven68

Jun 20, 2018
maybe a graphic card driver problem?Try to download the latest version?
Yeah, i was on the latest driver from nvidia on insider build, i install the latest official driver and it was good ! thx to remind me this haha

For the game, i just finish it....and wow, i really like this game ! story wise, it's so good ! the character are so well written ! I never did LiS 2, but this first episode for me is way better than the first LiS ( if the next two are that good or better).

BoboBrazil

Attempted to circumvent a ban with an alt
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I noticed that for the bench in the screenshot on that tweet I didn't have the prompt for a few seconds until Alyson got a little closer, so perhaps that was it?
Interesting, seems like something that should be patched? Often times the other twin wasn't keeping up with me since I like to go explore every nook and cranny of the environment in these games before moving forward.

Vico

Jan 3, 2018
Maybe just me, but I don't think it ever gave me the action prompts to be able to sit on benches???

It's not just you, knowing Life is Strange I passed by that bench thinking it'd be a nice spot for an intimate conversation, and it never gave me the option to. Well, at least it's good that they kept their traditions I guess.

Maybe Alyson had to trigger it indeed.

Hadok

Feb 14, 2018
It's not just you, knowing Life is Strange I passed by that bench thinking it'd be a nice spot for an intimate conversation, and it never gave me the option to. Well, at least it's good that they kept their traditions I guess.

Maybe Alyson had to trigger it indeed.

Bench is Strange.

AliceAmber

Drive-in Mutant
Administrator
May 2, 2018
I didn't have any bench moments either! oops! Always feels like I miss something with these games.

Damn Silly

Oct 25, 2017
I found one of the benches inside the police station, in the locker room

Didn't notice any before that

Athrum

Oct 18, 2019
Game seems ok so far but they
kinda have the lamest super-power out of the "LiS" games so far
Also, don't know if it's because I'm playing on my pc (played all the others on a PS4 pro) but the game looks really good compared to the 3 LiS games.

ez123

Feb 18, 2020
Game seems ok so far but they
kinda have the lamest super-power out of the "LiS" games so far
Also, don't know if it's because I'm playing on my pc (played all the others on a PS4 pro) but the game looks really good compared to the 3 LiS games.

I think time rewind and "the voice" are the only good powers in the Dontnodiverse.
These are games where you're talking a lot of the time so anything that comes into play during conversations is automatically better.

Last edited:

randomlee26

Oct 27, 2017
I'm so into this. The characterization, the attention to detail... I'm so excited for the rest!

I also have some major theories I'll share when I organize my thoughts...

Sonix

Prophet of Regret
Aug 3, 2020
I think time rewind and "the voice" are the only good powers in the Dontnodiverse.
These are games where you're talking a lot of the time so anything that comes into play during conversations is automatically better.
Agree.
Thats why I like the "power" from Before the Storm the most. It's not really a power and a little gimmicky but it just lets me focus more on the actual characters which is why I like these games in the first place.

residentgrigo

Banned
Oct 30, 2019
Germany
This was barely a videogame but so far so good. I´ll continue with act 2 and 3. LiS 1 grew in quality as it went on. LiS 2 did the opposite. Let´s see how this shorter work will fare. The way the game does its powers is very akward btw. Why is this magical realism twins ESP element even here? Twin Telepathy is the trope´s name. 7/10

Princess Bubblegum

I'll be the one who puts you in the ground.
On Break
Oct 25, 2017
A Cavern Shaped Like Home
Still not done with the first episode. Just got to the police station. The shadow resolution really needs a bump up, this isn't a demanding game even at the highest settings. The game is bugging me in a few key aspects. There's no way to zoom in closer when examining documents or just looking around. I'm having to constantly use the read button, which is great for accessibility but text formatting needs work. Another issue bugging me is how easy it is to cut off or miss one time dialog exchanges if you accidentally cancel them out by looking at something.

Bedameister

Oct 26, 2017
Germany
Still not done with the first episode. Just got to the police station. The shadow resolution really needs a bump up, this isn't a demanding game even at the highest settings. The game is bugging me in a few key aspects. There's no way to zoom in closer when examining documents or just looking around. I'm having to constantly use the read button, which is great for accessibility but text formatting needs work. Another issue bugging me is how easy it is to cut off or miss one time dialog exchanges if you accidentally cancel them out by looking at something.
Yeah, the dialogue thing is my biggest complain wirh this game. It's really unfortunate

Princess Bubblegum

I'll be the one who puts you in the ground.
On Break
Oct 25, 2017
A Cavern Shaped Like Home
Yeah, the dialogue thing is my biggest complain wirh this game. It's really unfortunate
I restarted the section and can't figure out how to trigger an exchange I canceled out. In the process I discovered something else completely missable. It seems like the best way to play game is to let your AI partner wander and ride their ass so you don't miss certain moments.

I don't remember LiS2 being this bad but it's a different team.