• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Masterspeed

Oct 25, 2017
England
I've only played about an hour and I've gotta say, I'm not a fan of the story at all and especially the voice acting, but it's hard to stop because it's so fucking clean!

ghibli99

Oct 27, 2017
Before the Storm was actually made by a different studio (Deck Nine) and on a different engine (Unity). That's why it looks a bit worse than Life is Strange 1, and a lot worse than Life is Strange 2 (both of which were made in Unreal Engine.)
Yeah, I realized that when I fired up BTS tonight and saw the Unity and developer logos. I must not have been paying attention when the logos appeared when I launched it yesterday. :)

nikos

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
New York, NY
Downloading this now on Game Pass for PC. I liked Life is Strange but never finished Before the Storm and skipped the sequel for some reason.

EDIT: Looks like it doesn't support ultrawide. Need to apply the community fix or just play it on my 1X. Kind of a bummer.

Last edited:

Sydle

Oct 27, 2017
Was a lovely game to see and explore. It gave me an itch to visit Alaska. I'll be playing this one again at some point.

Princess Bubblegum

I'll be the one who puts you in the ground.
On Break
Oct 25, 2017
A Cavern Shaped Like Home
Overall it's a nice looking game, though I hope they add some ray tracing effects to it down the road. Pretty much all the interior and some exterior scenes would benefit. Some of the baked lighting isn't so great, particularly low res shadows.

Monarch1501

Designer @ Dontnod
Verified
Nov 2, 2017
I remembered when I started my job @DONTNOD, I was so excited to finally see Digital Foundry take a look at our graphical improvements since Life Is Strange and comment on a game I've worked on. One Vampyr and Life Is Strange 2 later, still nothing...
My dreams have been shattered... :'(

Hadok

Feb 14, 2018
And the music is beautiful as well.

Yeah game is very beautiful,with a slightly different artstyle than Life is Strange 2.(but this one was a great looking game too).

leng jai

Nov 2, 2017
The cartoony an lower detail art styles of Dontnod games have always looked great in high resolution. LiS 2 in particular was underrated graphically. They really need to improve the animations though, they look very dated in Tell Me Why.

Hadok

Feb 14, 2018
I remembered when I started my job @DONTNOD, I was so excited to finally see Digital Foundry take a look at our graphical improvements since Life Is Strange and comment on a game I've worked on. One Vampyr and Life Is Strange 2 later, still nothing...
My dreams have been shattered... :'(

i kinda want a remake of the first Life is Strange,with all the improvements seen in the other games.
Now waiting for Twin Mirror. :)

jb1234

Very low key
Oct 25, 2017
Yeah, looks great! I went back to Before the Storm after this, and it was shocking how much the engine's improved in just three years. I just wish the facial animation quality kept up with the overall graphics and voice acting. Some of the emotional beats just didn't hit for me as a result.

Yeah, there's a crying scene that I couldn't take seriously at all because of the animations. Bummed me out because the writing and acting were good.

Oct 27, 2017
Budapest
Top notch stuff. I also lingered in certain segments way longer than I needed to because the environments felt so cozy. DONTNOD really nows how to create an atmosphere. I especially loved the sound of passing planes in outdoor locations, such a nice little touch.

Paquete_PT

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
It's not the most advanced or beautiful graphics we've seen but the crispy clear image stood out to me the first time I saw screenshots as well. Great job for Dontnod!

Princess Bubblegum

I'll be the one who puts you in the ground.
On Break
Oct 25, 2017
A Cavern Shaped Like Home
Before the Storm was actually made by a different studio (Deck Nine) and on a different engine (Unity). That's why it looks a bit worse than Life is Strange 1, and a lot worse than Life is Strange 2 (both of which were made in Unreal Engine.)
I suppose BtS does look a tad worse than LiS1, the character models can look a bit too claylike when the lighting isn't great. The much better facial animation and greater use of motion capture makes it overall an upgrade over LiS1 to me. I'm excited to see what Deck Nine does next since they have their own motion/performance capture facility, and it seems like a bigger priority to them than Dontnod.

bing

Banned
Apr 27, 2020
nowhere, canada
I suppose BtS does look a tad worse than LiS1, the character models can look a bit too clay like when the lighting isn't great. The much better facial animation and greater use of motion capture makes it overall an upgrade over LiS1 to me. I'm excited to see what Deck Nine does next since they have their own motion/performance capture facility, and it seems like a bigger priority to them than Dontnod.
Here's an article on how Deck Nine's doing mo-cap during the pandemic, if you're interested:
www.gamesindustry.biz

Performance capture in the era of remote working

In the past few months, as the COVID-19 pandemic took over even trivial aspects of our daily lives, the games industry …

Phellps

Oct 25, 2017
Yep, I was pleasantly surprised by how good it looks as well. It's pretty damn optimized too.

ScOULaris

Oct 25, 2017
The lighting looks a bit flat by current-gen standards, but that combined with the good AA and generally sparse/clean art style definitely results in some very clean image quality. The lack of heavy post-processing effects adds a lot to the clarity too.

fanboy

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Slovakia
I never liked graphics of Dontnod's story driven games. They were like last gen, have these clunky animation wise and low quality hd assets.

Tell Me Why is obviously a big step up in texture quality department but I must say, this game is really beautiful (another step up after already nice LiS 2). The art design, environment, overall presentation. Its really beautiful even though it still sometimes feel like lower quality graphics game across most departments. I dont mind, I just hope they will work on details more through next gen.

leng jai

Nov 2, 2017
I never liked graphics of Dontnod's story driven games. They were like last gen, have these clunky animation wise and low quality hd assets.

Tell Me Why is obviously a big step up in texture quality department but I must say, this game is really beautiful (another step up after already nice LiS 2). The art design, environment, overall presentation. Its really beautiful even though it still sometimes feel like lower quality graphics game across most departments. I dont mind, I just hope they will work on details more through next gen.

"Low detail" is part of the art style and the reason why people like the look in the first place. LiS 2 is one of the better looking games this gen.

bing

Banned
Apr 27, 2020
nowhere, canada

Tell Me Why was made by a different team than the one that made the Life is Strange games. It was also lower budget (due to its shorter length.)
Life is Strange 2 had a much higher budget, and every texture in the game was handpainted. It was one of the best looking games of the gen imo.
landscape.jpg

lis22.jpg

11307IEGjVUWHS9CkM37h1Fuf5sr-HPwVxvB1n_zFT51IsjsoN5IfB9pM8EGFyzYZ3FSCt0cxcxwsyFQLqRr5Bl0yKUGVmSG-2f39.jpg

Last edited: