• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

vestan

#REFANTAZIO SWEEP
Dec 28, 2017
All chapters are releasing in Summer 2020

Announced today at X019 in London, the story-driven episodic experience will focus on two twins – Tyler and Alyson Ronan – as they unravel memories of a precious yet troubled childhood. Chances are it will jump between the past, present and future.

It takes place in a small town in Alaska, once again adopting the charming, somewhat grounded roots of the studio's other works, albeit with a supernatural element of sorts thrown in for good measure.

DONTNOD has confirmed that Tyler identifies as a transgender man; the studio says it has worked closely with LGBTQ organisation GLAAD to shape Tyler as an authentic character.

"Microsoft and DONTNOD have approached Tyler with a real commitment to authenticity," explains Nick Adams, Director of Transgender Representation at GLAAD. "Tyler is a fully-realized, endearing character, whose story is not reduced to simplistic trans tropes. Creating a playable lead trans character – and taking such care to get it right – raises the bar for future LGBTQ inclusion in gaming."

Tyler and Alyson will be dual protagonists, both playable throughout Tell Me Why's three episodes, shortened from the usual five since DONTNOD is aware that fan's aren't the biggest lovers of the long wait between installments.

"We listened closely to fans of narrative adventure games, and we heard loud and clear how painful unpredictable gaps between episodes can be," said Peter Wyse, General Manager for Xbox Games Studios Publishing. "We're thrilled to announce that the entire Tell Me Why story will release in Summer 2020."

Tell Me Why will release simultaneously across Xbox One and PC (via Steam) and will be available for Xbox Game Pass subscribers at launch, which itself saw a flurry of new announcements tonight. We're super curious to see how Tell Me Why shapes out, and we'll be sure to share more information once we have it.

c2ze4C9.png

819Jp8l.jpg

tKSj3eJ.jpg

ooGJWoy.jpg

Last edited:

Dusk Golem

Local Horror Enthusiast
Oct 25, 2017

t's coming Summer 2020 and developed by DONTNOD. Narrative game where you play as two twins who explore past trauma they've both experienced together and separately. Has a total of three episodes rather than the usual five they do.

ALL THREE EPISODES WILL BE LAUNCHED AT ONCE, not episodically. The whole experience will be available at once. Releasing on Xbox and PC/Steam.

UPDATE: Trusted reviews mentions the game stars a trans protagonist: https://www.trustedreviews.com/news/tell-new-project-dontnod-transgender-hero-3954796
However – one of the most interesting parts of Tell Me Why – especially for a trans woman like me – is the introduction of a transgender protagonist in Tyler Ronan. Mainstream titles have seldom explored such ground, so I really hope they get it right.

"Microsoft and DONTNOD have approached Tyler with a real commitment to authenticity," explains Nick Adams, Director of Transgender Representation at GLAAD. "Tyler is a fully-realized, endearing character, whose story is not reduced to simplistic trans tropes. Creating a playable lead trans character – and taking such care to get it right – raises the bar for future LGBTQ inclusion in gaming."

Tyler and Alyson will be dual protagonists, both playable throughout Tell Me Why's three episodes, shortened from the usual five since DONTNOD is aware that fan's aren't the biggest lovers of the long wait between installments.

elenarie

Game Developer
Verified
Jun 10, 2018
That looks so flipping intriguing. Hope they release everything on day 1. Otherwise I'll have to wait until the last episode. :p

Ketkat

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
This looks really good and I'm glad to see a major game like this focusing on a trans man as they really are overlooked far too often!

est1992

Oct 27, 2017
Finally a game based on the best pop song of the century

EDIT: Oh it's not that? Well I'll see myself out.

Status
Not open for further replies.