• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Dali

Oct 27, 2017
Answers aren't meant to be directed at just me, but just an FYI to anyone. I don't get government assistance but I work in an industry that has customers that rely on it. I read an article that in many places the assistance from the DHHR was delayed or stopped but the article was from 2013 and apparently something was passed to fund those programs in advance now. It was something I really didn't think about until it suddenly occurred to me today.

Money from tax returns won't affect me as I always end up owing money.

What else? Were you planning a vacation to a federally managed location that is now closed? Getting through security at airports taking longer for you? In what ways is the shutdown affecting you? In what ways is it affecting me that might not have occurred to me yet?

Oct 26, 2017
Once tsa snaps, air travel around the nation halts.

Once snap runs out people starve. And die.

National parks are literally filling with shit and garbage because people visiting them are shit stains.

800k+ people not getting money means recession starting

Loans not being authorized means markets get Shakey

Fda is closedeans your food isn't being inspected increasing the likely hood of food born contamination making its way to everyone.people will die
(Stay away from lettuce dear God)

OSHA isn't inspecting jobs, which means dangers rise.

FEMA workers might not show up during a disaster

Pwnz

Oct 28, 2017
Places
Now that shutdowns are no longer theater, the next democratic super majority needs to ban them.

low-G

Oct 25, 2017
I know the Fall 2019 / Spring 2020 federal student grants (and loans?) aren't yet taken care of, and even if the federal gov't goes back in business soon, they will have an extra backlog / processing time.

WedgeX

Oct 27, 2017

National parks are literally filling with shit and garbage because people visiting them are shit stains.

Fda is closedeans your food isn't being inspected increasing the likely hood of food born contamination making its way to everyone.people will die

Ah - children who rely on the National School Lunch Program - might have to go without lunch as its not clear where the money to pay for it will come from. About 30 million children rely on the program for lunches.

edit:

You know what, the full statement from the Center on Budget and Policy Priorities is worth quoting and reading.

With the government shutdown in its third week, President Trump saying he's "prepared" for it to last months if not years, and the human harm growing by the hour, congressional leaders have a responsibility to step up and find a clear path toward a resolution — starting with Senate Majority Leader Mitch McConnell.

At some point in coming months, SNAP benefits apparently will end if the shutdown drags on.The Trump Administration scrambled before the Agriculture Department announced today that it can pay SNAP (food stamp) benefits in February. It did not address what would happen in March; and at some point in coming months, these benefits apparently will end if the shutdown drags on. If that happens, millions of poor children, seniors, and others will face hunger and hardship. It's also unclear how long other key federal nutrition programs, such as school lunches and breakfasts and the Special Supplemental Nutrition Program for Women, Infants, and Children (WIC), can keep providing food assistance to children because federal funding for those programs is running out as well. These programs appear to be safe through February but not necessarily beyond that.

In addition, the Department of Housing and Urban Development (HUD) apparently mismanaged contracts with owners of more than 1,000 apartment buildings who receive federal subsidies so that they can provide apartments at affordable rents to roughly 70,000 low-income households. HUD did not renew these contracts on time in December when it had the available federal funding and now, due to the funding lapse, it doesn't know if it currently has the resources to renew them. Last week, HUD sent letters to the landlords whose contracts expired in December with the intention (according to a HUD spokesperson) of trying to persuade the building owners not to evict the tenants. HUD has also indicated that it can't renew the numerous additional contracts coming up for renewal in January and succeeding months unless the shutdown ends.

Moreover, if the shutdown drags into March, all rental subsidies under the nation's largest rental assistance program will end, leaving an additional 2.2 million low-income households receiving housing vouchers without the means to pay rent. That could lead hundreds of thousands of private owners to begin evicting low-income households. State and local public housing agencies also wouldn't receive any federal funding starting in March to operate more than 1 million public housing units.

Meanwhile, based on news reports, many federally backed mortgage applications have been delayed, trash and overflowing toilets are soiling national parks, Securities and Exchange Commission investigations of securities violations have stopped, the Commerce Department is no longer processing requests for exemptions from the President's tariffs, 800,000 federal workers — about half of whom are working, and many of whom earn modest wages and live paycheck to paycheck — will miss a paycheck in the coming days, and federal contractors may start laying off employees.

The President apparently thrust the government into the shutdown without adequately understanding the consequences and without appropriate planning. Each day, the Administration seems to discover another serious problem — problems that ultimately can't be addressed by administrative band-aids as the shutdown wears on.

Now, with regard to the leaders on Capitol Hill who need to step forward, let's remember how we got here.

The President and congressional leaders of both parties reached agreement in December on a continuing resolution (CR) to keep the government open, and the Senate passed it without dissent on December 19. After fierce criticism from right-wing pundits that the CR didn't include the Trump request for border-wall funding, however, the President reversed himself and blew up the deal.

Now, the House has again passed legislation to reopen the government that is virtually identical to the bills that the Senate Appropriations Committee earlier approved on a broad bipartisan basis. But Senator McConnell says he won't bring this legislation to a vote because the President opposes it. In fact, he says he won't bring any shutdown-related legislation to the Senate floor that the President doesn't support.

In the days ahead, the House will try another approach — to consider and pass the Senate-approved versions of four major appropriations bills that the Senate earlier passed, as a package, by a 92-6 vote. That package includes the bills to fund HUD; the Departments of Agriculture, Interior, Transportation, and Treasury; a host of independent agencies; and the District of Columbia government. But, though the bills in this House package will be virtually identical to those that the Republican-controlled Senate has already approved overwhelmingly, Senator McConnell is expected to prevent them from coming to a vote as well.

This stand-off must not continue. Millions of people — from vulnerable poor children and seniors to federal employees all across the country who live paycheck to paycheck — are suffering, or soon will be. We call on senators of both parties (as Senator Chris Van Hollen has proposed) not to consider bills related to other business until Senator McConnell permits a vote on bills to reopen the government and bills to maintain various government programs and functions. And we'd remind lawmakers that if Congress passes such legislation and the President vetoes it, they could override his veto with two-thirds votes in the House and Senate and reopen the shuttered government agencies.

https://www.cbpp.org/press/statemen...d-government-shutdown-as-harmful-effects-grow

Mona

Banned
Oct 30, 2017
it will influence a piece of art from someone growing up in this moment that you will enjoy

HotHamBoy

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
not everyone wants to stick their head in the sand
"To avoid, or try to avoid, a particular situation by pretending that it does not exist."

Burying your head in the sand would mean refusing to acknowledge that the government shutdown is hurting people. That's not the same as choosing not to fill your head with all the particulars of how the suffering will occur.

We know there is suffering. We know the shutdown needs to end. If I read up on all the details of this horrorshow it's not going to put me in a better position to do anything about it.

Did you just read the thread title? It's ok you can be honest
How many people engaging in these threads need more convincing that this hurts people in ways we may not immediately be aware of?

Who here is going to have their mind changed?

"Oh my, now I surely care!"

If you're a pro-Trump shitheel you simply do not give a fuck.

crimsonECHIDNA

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 25, 2017
Florida

Plus say goodbye to your tax returns since the IRA would not be able to process them.

Casualcore

Jul 25, 2018
I think the EPA is about out of money, too. And just when they were getting Pruitt's hands out of the coffers. That's fine; I'm pretty sure the environment was a conspiracy created by the Chinese.

corasaur

Oct 26, 2017
"To avoid, or try to avoid, a particular situation by pretending that it does not exist."

Burying your head in the sand would mean refusing to acknowledge that the government shutdown is hurting people. That's not the same as choosing not to fill your head with all the particulars of how the suffering will occur.

We know there is suffering. We know the shutdown needs to end. If I read up on all the details of this horrorshow it's not going to put me in a better position to do anything about it.

because some of these things are actionable. anyone inclined to volunteer could begin looking for food banks to help out at if their community is about to get walloped by the food stamp problem. anyone who lives near a national park and wasn't paying attention til now could be inspired to do some environmental volunteer work.

HotHamBoy

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
because some of these things are actionable. anyone inclined to volunteer could begin looking for food banks to help out at if their community is about to get walloped by the food stamp problem. anyone who lives near a national park and wasn't paying attention til now could be inspired to do some environmental volunteer work.
That's fair but I think most people inclined to action have already educated themselves.

Most people are just social media activists.

jb1234

Very low key
Oct 25, 2017
I didn't get my SNAP benefits this month. Not sure if my rent assistance will be affected as well.

D i Z

Oct 25, 2017
Where X marks the spot.

How many people engaging in these threads need more convincing that this hurts people in ways we may not immediately be aware of?

The FDA being off the books for food inspection is a big one. People need to know.
Also people rely on tax returns. These are not things a lot of people take lightly.

Hollywood Duo

Oct 25, 2017
Biggest thing will be the economy tanking because of the compounding effect of so many people not spending money.

Servbot24

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017

Why are you so eager to be uninformed?

SageShinigami

Oct 27, 2017
I dont have a problem with the thread.

I bring discourse.

Oh brother. I just spent two years reading everything I could find about what's going on in current events and balling myself up into a shuddering ball of dispair.

Why do we need to talk about this is not discourse, it's avoidance. This thread was informative for me.

Oct 27, 2017
Seattle

Several national parks have closed because there were no crews to clear snows.

Parch

Nov 6, 2017
The FDA being off the books for food inspection is a big one. People need to know.
Food safety affect everybody. The economy effects everybody. Multiple service industries affect everybody.
There are probably too many people thinking the shut down doesn't affect them. They're wrong.

samoyed

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
The FDA thing will change my eating habits in the short term probably, I love raw food and eat too much of it.

devSin

Oct 27, 2017
I didn't get my SNAP benefits this month. Not sure if my rent assistance will be affected as well.
I'd check with the state or your case manager, especially since it's a new year.

They say the benefits should continue at least through February. If you were entitled to them for 2019, it sounds like you should be receiving them.

Hmmmmmm. Would this slow down Mueller?
It will not. The special counsel budget is its own thing.

Akira86

Oct 25, 2017
Alien Invasion? We'd be totally unprepared.

The FBI will probably stop working in a few weeks because they have no money
The hard core agents will start working for free. And start following their own rules.

edit: oh yeah and lettuce is a death trap again, so salad and Korean BBQ are out.

TyrantII

Oct 25, 2017
Boston
Don't fly anywhere, FAA inspections and oversight aren't happening in addition to the delays from a heavily furloughed ATC staff

skeptem

Oct 25, 2017
FDA not doing inspections is a big one. At least I know USDA inspectors are still working.... without pay.

Dec 6, 2018
When does TSA shortage reach critical mass and flying becomes basically impossible? I have to return abroad for exams still these next few weeks and if I don't do them now I don't know when I can get my credits for school. Not nearly as important as these other issues though