• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

More_Badass

Oct 25, 2017
I don't have a sense of smell. Doctors say it was probably a consequence of being a preemie. My family has driven past dead skunk on the road, everyone in the car reacts viscerally, I don't smell a thing. Not exactly a positive, since I can't smell smoke if there was a fire in the house

I can still taste though, which is weird. I do wonder if my perception of tastes are different from others due not having the olfactory facet. And I also react to alcohol swabs when I was tested by doctors.

Merv

Oct 27, 2017
I got an incentive flight in an F-16 once. We did a vertical climb to 11,000ft, pulled 8 Gs, flew 500ft off the ground while inverted in a small canyon and at the end did Mach+. I never threw up, but got very nauseous.

Br3wnor

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
When is was 21 I had appendicitis and after taking my appendix out they found a cancerous tumor in it. Doctors said it's wasn't big enough to cause the appendicitis and had I never gotten it the cancer would have gotten bigger and most likely spread to my lymph nodes and not been found until it burst through my appendix. (Look up Whipple Procedure to get idea of how you have to deal w/ advanced appendix cancer) Instead they caught it early, it didn't spread anywhere and 10 years later I'm still cancer free.

It's the main reason I still haven't fully given up on religion because it's almost too lucky of a situation to have happened randomly.

riverfr0zen

Oct 27, 2017
Manhattan, New York
I saw my first corpse at age 8, hanging out in my grandmother's mortuary (she was a forensic pathologist) after school. I think one of the assistants accidentally left the door open a crack while they were working, and I peeked in.

It was all gray/greenish from decomposition after lying in a jungle (this was in Malaysia) for some time, and headless. Remember noticing how much the severed neck resembled a piece of meat (obviously, that's pretty much what it was, but at that age I hadn't thought about it before).

Deleted member 48434

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 8, 2018
Sydney
I'm credited in the Lego Ninjago Movie.
Sony scrubbed my name from the Peter Rabbit movie.
And I lost my job at the animation studio, and will never be credited in a film ever again.
I'm so, so bitter about it. Was just a starter IT job, but I wanted to stay.

phonicjoy

Banned
Jun 19, 2018
I once was randomly approached by an elderly Sikh gentleman who said he had to shake my hand, because he could see I was a great man and would do something of great importance one day. I still kind of feel like that is going to happen any day now.

ChrisJSY

Oct 29, 2017
I unknowingly predict the most random stuff that doesn't make sense and could never lead anywhere if I actively knew about it.
It's the most useless ability.

Annubis

Oct 25, 2017
I scored 2/60 on a true/false test.
Run the odds of that and you'll see why that's amazing.

KtotheRoc

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
Law enforcement officials once pulled their guns on me over a plastic sword.

Jul 26, 2018
I was almost a professional soccer player.
Just curious... what happened to that? What made the decision to make you not make it or was there a a reason? it's funny because i'm trying to reach that level atm.

As for the thread, no one would believe me that I can do the iconic bicycle kick or even play a sport at all (i'm skinny "gamer" looking"). I invited all my coworkers to play football at our local park, peformed the trick and other stuff like free kicks, and all were speechless when I played.... (all I heard was just gasps and whooooaaaaaa). Many of them doesn't even know I play football at all because mostly talk about video games at work hehe. It's like my secret talent.

ConanEdogawa

Oct 31, 2017
I lost (and kept off) ~200 lbs, or about 50% of my peak body weight. All through diet and exercise, no surgery.

skipgo

Dec 28, 2018
Just curious... what happened to that? What made the decision to make you not make it or was there a a reason? it's funny because i'm trying to reach that level atm.
I used to play in the youth category of the women's division of a local club (gremio from the south of Brazil) until the club shut down it's female division due to lack of funding and sponsorship in 2012. Unfortunately a lot of the teams did the same around the same time and there just wasn't enough opportunity. I did a few tests for some of the few remaining teams, but ended up not being selected due to the sheer amount of girls there, it became a lottery getting selected.
So I felt very unmotivated and gave up.

Nowadays due to a change in the requirements for most big soccer federations, most brazilian teams are required to maintain a women's division.
So I guess I had the wrong timing and it just wasn't meant to be.

janusff

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Austin, TX
I was jumped into a gang when I was 9.

Long story: my older high school brother threw a party at our house when the rents were out of town and things got crazy, as some high school parties tend to do. Anyway my brother was hanging out with some rough kids at the time running around in a "gang". Should be said that it was some pretty Mickey Mouse shit, they sold drugs and collected guns but it wasn't anything real. Just a bunch of suburban kid wannabes really. Anyway it was like 2 in the morning and some of my brothers drunk friends thought it was a good idea to initiate me into the "gang" and I was a dumb kid wanting to be accepted so I said okay.

It only lasted for like a minute and they didn't beat me that bad I did have some bruises on my body or whatever. I look back at that night sometimes and think wow did that really happen. Lmao

Powdered Egg

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Used to work for one of a gangster's legit businesses in my youth. Found a new job once I put two and two together.

MisterSnrub

Mar 10, 2018
Someplace Far Away
When I was fourteen I created a somewhat viral petition in the metal community to be 'against' Sharon Osbourne which got picked up by the media, culminating with me receiving an email from Jeanette Walls at MSNBC asking me if I'd like to be interviewed for her gossip story of the week column.

It was 2005 and Ozzfest's USA run with Iron Maiden sub-headlining was drawing to a close. Bruce had been disrespecting the Osbournes and talking shit about the tour throughout its entire run (because he's kind of a douchebag) and on the final night, in San Bernadino, Sharon and management decided to take revenge on the band. They planted dozens of people in the crowd to throw eggs, having members of other bands on the tour come out to flip the band off, and cutting their PA a couple of times too. It disrupted the entire show, cutting it short which was a massive shame for the fans who showed up for the band. But really, at my core I was just a colossal Maiden fanboy who wasn't handling the disrespect one bit. In spite of the fact I was not at the gig in question; truth be told, I''d never so much as set foot in either a Maiden show or the United States at that point. Just a pasty, sheltered mosher living up in a pokey corner of Scotland. So I dealt with my feelings in the only logical way - by creating a massive, mealy-mouted and aimless petition called 'metal fans against Sharon Osbourne'. It didn't really have any set goal like kicking her off the management for a touring festival that she actually owns, nah, it was just an attempt to give her the finger.

Anyway, I spread it far and wide and got everybody I knew to sign it, and before long it had picked up traction by itself. Places I used to frequent at that age; blabbermouth.net, the Download festival forums, the Iron Maiden bulletin board, I began seeing it get shared by random people, people I'd never met or had any contact with. By now the number of signatures attained was close to four thousand, within a couple of days, and it had become the second most popular petition on the site, beating out countless important humanitarian causes... anyway, at a certain point, perhaps around day five I check my email for something related to an essay I had to finish and I notice I've had some random email sent to me two days prior by a woman called Jeanette Walls, mentioning the petition in the subject line. I expected it to be someone sending me hate but she turned out to be the writer for MSNBC's Gossip of the Week column at that time, and she wanted to make it all about the weird uprising I'd created with my petition. She wanted to interview me, clearly oblivious to my age or location, but I agreed without bothering to mention either. It was fun and exciting; I didn't tell my parents but I told all my most metal friends. We were pumped, the metal community and its perspective*** were about to get some attention and it was all because of us and this dumb petition!

Next day I finally get a response, not from Jeanette this time by someone else - a guy, I think - which didn't say much, merely apologised and informed that the piece about my petition had already been submitted. It had gone ahead without my interview, and would appear on the website that weekend. So it's a minor bummer but we're all excited nevertheless, even though we half-expected it to be yet another piece about dumb and weird metalheads. Not that we weren't exactly that. But we were also fourteen and metal was basically a religion for us, there was a powerful emotional connection with the genre. You ever see those burly guys in the front rows at Manowar shows bawling their eyes out as The Crown and The Ring blasts over the PA? That made total and complete sense to us (still kind of does tbf). When the article dropped we were prepared for it to say absolutely anything, and of course, it did exactly what we expected. We were dumb, fickle metalheads with weird priorities, disrespecting the wise and mighty Sharon Osbourne and making no meaningful reference to what had happened at the San Bernadino show. Iron Maiden were barely mentioned; the angle was 100% 'why are all these metal fans suddenly uniting to rage against Sharon Osbourne?'. In any case the narrative arc had been completed and we all moved onto new banter within a few days. I actually forgot it even happened for a while.

Other stuff's happened to me in my life. I've had flying fish crash into my face, sang badly in front of thousands of people, been detained by fake Cambodian police, taught the Vietnamese defense minister's daughter English, met several of my heroes and had thoroughly positive experiences... but that Sharon Osbourne hate movement I started for a hot minute is definitely the weirdest.

Sorry for the length of this post, I know it's not super-crazy but it's the first time I've ever typed it up and I kind of just wanted to have it all down.

*** this perspective is handily summarised by the Dream Evil song 'The Book of Heavy Metal' found here

Last edited:

Metal B

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
As a child i was sneaking around in offices and factories for the kick of it. It's the main reason, i love stealth games.

Deleted member 22750

Oct 28, 2017
ground control to major tom

Ive never been on a plane