• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.
Oct 25, 2017
Canada
@Fistygood pick with Spy Fiction

36750-D_[Disc1of3]-1497896827.jpg
D is a very dated, FMV, atmospheric horror game. I would ideally recommend folks to go into D entirely blind.

HauntingGround_NA_PS2cover.jpg

Last edited:

Spamlynguist

Oct 27, 2017
52312-Jade_Cocoon_-_Die_Tamamayu_Legende_(G)-1.jpg

Shame how much the sequel tried to emulate Pokémon instead of sticking to the mature theme and creature merging mechanics of the original. Really unique game, with some phenomenal music, and a consistent mood/theme that I haven't found anywhere else.

I have that laying around somewhere, should really get back into it.

zoodoo

Oct 26, 2017
Montreal
Another Dreamcast game I started playing recently:

Armada 1999 (Sega Dreamcast):

59325-armada-dreamcast-front-cover.jpg

Armada is a 1 - 4 player overhead spaceship shooter/ RPG that plays like Diablo in space. This game was only ever released in North America for the Dreamcast and remains an exclusive on the console. There was a sequel planned for the Dreamcast, PS2 and OG Xbox, but it never saw the light of day because the developer folded.
I remember seeing screenshots of it and wanting to play it. Never got the chance to.

Oct 30, 2017
Massachusetts
s-l640.jpg

An incredibly competent platformer. It probably didn't do as well as it should have since these types of games were on the way out. I'd actually put it higher than most non-Mario 3D platformers tbh.

Came in here to post this. I had so much fun with this as a kid. The combat was pretty addictive and the platforming was tight to a tee. Plus it had a GOAT atmosphere.

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
In the weak and the wounded
maxresdefault.jpg

Many moons ago there was no Windows. For most people there was no internet. However there was still a need for entertainment and people often found it in the most unlikely of places.

The game was called Gorilla and it was a free game on MS-DOS that me and my sister played endlessly. It was two player and was extremely simple. You could control the velocity and angle of your explosive banana. As with most videogames the object was to kill something, and in this the game you are trying to kill the other gorilla. There was not much of a story but I think it had to do with evolution and survival of the fittest. There was probably some baby gorilla that the winner got to mate with but I think they ran out of memory (8 kilobytes fills up fast).

Would be a fun game to play locally on smart phones if someone was smart enough to port this. No fucking idea how you would play this gem in 2017 unless you had a computer from 1985 lying around ready to get busy.

This is related to what I was going to bring up; scorched earth, which was an evolution to gorilla, with little tanks.

SCORCH15_screenshot.gif

scorchedearth3.gif

The default ammunition which you had infinite of were called baby missiles, were identical to the banannas in gorilla, scoring a direct hit with the actual projectile on an unprotected tank, was insta-death, while splash damage was calculated based on proximity of the explosion.

Before rounds player could buy ammunition with their money (earned by killing other tanks) like various sized nukes:
9qcYD.png

Or rounds that would split up after hitting peak height and rain destruction of 5 or 10 rounds down on your enemies (The super expensive deaths head version rained 10 nukes upon your foes)

Aptly named funky bombs, which upon making contact randomly sent out branching explosions with a funky sound effect, which was hilariously prone to backfire:
maxresdefault.jpg

Rollers, which instead of detonating on impact rolled down hill until contacting a tank or vertical wall

Napalm which had liquid physics and could spill downhills and dreadfully fill up valleys, wreaking havoc on even the heaviest of sheilds and ensuring crispy defeat

Scorched%20Earth_3.png

And even diggers that would bore out the land under an opponent causing it to collapse under them, for devastating fall damage if they forgot to buy parachutes...

Just a whole host of wacky explosive goodness that would later be the calling card of worms.

Screenshot-2.png

And of course defensive options like sheilds and heavy sheilds, protecting from hits and blasts, force sheilds that were weaker blast protection, but caused direct hits to ricochet off possibly at another player or back to sender, and mag shields, that actually magnetically repelled rounds coming in from above!

And you could edit the games txt file and put in your own one liners to be randomly selected for when the tanks fire and blow up.

mas8705

Oct 27, 2017
Don't know if posting educational games would be seen as a low blow, but as someone who struggled growing up with reading, Reading Blaster was some help. I enjoyed the games and they were fun to play.

hqdefault.jpg

Deleted member 20284

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 28, 2017
This is related to what I was going to bring up; scorched earth, which was an evolution to gorilla, with little tanks. SNIP

It's like you read my mind mate:
https://www.resetera.com/posts/3336393/

Another would be 4D Sports Tennis. FPS tennis back in the old 1990 PC days. Challenging and configurable with various modes of play, a IRL tennis buddy and I played this one through high school.

4312_50cb51b0b9f5c.jpg

Vorador

Oct 28, 2017
War Wind

dH0AtAX.jpg

An RTS with 4 races, each with a different campaign, each race had different units and buildings. Also you could upgrade individual units to make them stronger. All of that in 1996.

It was really hard. At the end i never got very far, but i played quite a bit of it.

OldBoyGamer

Dec 11, 2017
The thing that I remember the most about this game is that you can pause anytime to strategize. As a kid, the concept blew my mind.

My memories of Freedom Force was spending weeks and weeks Downloading hundreds of Marvel and DC universe skins and models.

It was almost an unofficial side collection game.

Last edited:

OldBoyGamer

Dec 11, 2017
I don't think anyone has mentioned Legacy of Kane Soul Reaver yet.
714RoqzidVL._SX466_.jpg

PS1 3rd person action adventure game. Very dark tone with the incredible mechanic that you could switch dimensions and play in dark and twisted versions of the standard game world. Was brilliant.

There's not been much talk of flight sims but they were all the rage back in the 80's. Falcon 4.0 was probably the height of the genre.
32598-falcon-4-0-windows-front-cover.jpg

Wasn't just the great graphics but had a brilliant hud and cockpit and awesome full blown war campaign mode.

Mickey Mouse and the castle of illusion was up there with the Mario games as one of the best 2D platformers. Sublime controls and wonderful adventure.
Castle_of_illusion_Mickey_mouse.jpg

one of the most incredible tech achievements back in the 16bit era - Midwinter
Midwinter_cover.jpg

A first person post apocalyptic action adventure where the world has been covered in a winter climate.

AllMight1

Oct 27, 2017
Sometimes it feels like I'm the only one who has played Bujingai: The Forsaken City, A wuxia-inspired action game starring Gackt. The game had some bland level design and crappy platforming, but the combat was fantastic. It had this auto-block system where as long as you weren't attacking, you were blocking. You could only block until your meter ran out, so dodging and countering were key components to winning battles. I'm surprised we haven't seen it copied in another game.

After years of looking for this game somewhat cheap, i found it for 17 bucks online.
Game is supposed to arrive in a few days.
Am i in for a thrill ride?

Retozhe

Banned
Dec 26, 2017
Xenus: Boiling Point. Or Boiling Point: Road To Hell. So called far cry killer.
Big open world FPS set in Columbia. It has some RPG elements and drivable vehicles. You can work for several different factions, such as CIA, mafia, Indians, government, etc. Very janky.

Last edited:

Shan

Oct 27, 2017
I remember loving this as a kid but its been years...
maxresdefault.jpg
Woah, i remember seeing this game at a standee at my local EB games the year it came out, i remember i was blown away by how it looked. It was always in the back of my mind but i never knew its name until now.

On-topic:
maxresdefault.jpg

In this game you played as a monkey and you had to kill fruits to get keys to gain access to the next area. Your attack was a bubble that would grow bigger each time it bounced on your head. After about 3 or 4 bounces it was max sized and making it explode cause sports balls (ranging from baseballs to basketball) to come out, killing enemies if it hit them.

FondsNL

Oct 29, 2017
How can we name these games if "literally" everyone has forgotten about them?

220px-Norembox.jpg

This has always been a game that I have fond memories of, but nobody that I know seems to have played it (outside of my brother).

A topdown action adventure game, that did some things way better than Fallout 1 ever did imho, and some things way worse.
For one, it was hard as sin.

Wainstop

Oct 27, 2017
Calgary
Neverland Card Battles for PSP
Port of a PS2 game that did well only in Japan
Collectible Card Game meets Strategy RPG with go/reversi elements to control the battlefield.

Guipradi

Nov 29, 2017
Ispagnia
For me it would be the Grandia series
latest

A fantastical series of JRPG games with a cool battle system that more recently Child Of Light has used. The stories in these games were great. Even though I've only played grandia I I want to play all the remaining. Being II and III the best regarded and comercially succesful of the bunch.

Then we have .hack series
Hack+before+sword+art+online+did+vrmmorpgplaystation+store+needs+a_a2ad76_5814734.jpg

With the recent release of the G.U. remaster, the hack games are instant action JRPGs that work in the same vane as Final Fantasy XII and MMORPGs. Dungeons are proceduly generated in every run and has this kind of meta story where you are playing an MMORPG inside the game.

And finally a series I've never played but was highly regarded in the 2000's and many friends of mine played was the Wild Arms series:
wild-arms-series-feature.jpg

Again, JRPGs but with a western setting, maybe a little like trigun if I remember correctly. I 've been told characters in these games were the strong point and the travel aspect. I also remmber one of the games at least you had to choose from 3 stories at the beginning from the game and all of those ended up coming together at the end.

Rei Toei

Nov 8, 2017
How can we name these games if "literally" everyone has forgotten about them?

220px-Norembox.jpg

This has always been a game that I have fond memories of, but nobody that I know seems to have played it (outside of my brother).

A topdown action adventure game, that did some things way better than Fallout 1 ever did imho, and some things way worse.
For one, it was hard as sin.

Ah, good memories. Really liked it back in the day, but tough as nails. Don't think I ever finished it. Didn't have a pc to run it on, so only played at friends.

RUINER reminded me of Crusader at times.

Bomblord

Self-requested ban
Banned
Jan 11, 2018
Wario Land Shake it
256px-Wario_land_shake_it%21_boxart.jpg

A hand drawn action platformer using a Nintendo IP that reviewed relatively well. Everyone just kind of.... Forgot about it after release never even see it mentioned in hidden gem threads or anywhere else.

Deleted member 1849

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
wall5_800_600.jpg

Played the ever loving shit out of this game as a kid. Also, it was a pretty deep game mechanically.
I haven't seen that image in nearly a decade. That brought memories back.

To this day, I think this is just about the only MMO I've really enjoyed. I remember once trying to learn how to properly K-Style as well. I also remember the server fights where everyone would hate K-Stylers for exploiting glitches. Fun times.

MonkeySleeve

Nov 15, 2017
skyro00b.png

Game is Skyroads, one of the first games i played on a PC, in school actually. After we were done doing assignments we got to play some games.

Guipradi

Nov 29, 2017
Ispagnia
Wario Land Shake it
256px-Wario_land_shake_it%21_boxart.jpg

A hand drawn action platformer using a Nintendo IP that reviewed relatively well. Everyone just kind of.... Forgot about it after release never even see it mentioned in hidden gem threads or anyone else.
Dude, This is still in my backlog. I loved the Wario Land series when i was little. I must still play this and Wario World

Last edited:

Randy Solo

Oct 27, 2017
Street Racer SNES

I always loved this game, especially the soccer mode. Got a bad rap as a poorer version of Mario kart, but I think it did enough to differentiate itself and was lots of fun.

Guipradi

Nov 29, 2017
Ispagnia
Echochrome. A fantastic and really original PSP puzzle game that plays with perspective. I now remembered i need this game physically. i'll be snatching one soon as they are around 5€ surely.

Skulldead

Oct 27, 2017
Trinity_Souls.jpg

Trinity Souls of Zill O'll

A action RPG made by Omega Force (yeah the team behind Dysnasty Warrior, etc). You take control of 3 character that you can switch on the fly with each of them have different class that unlock new passive and combat skill during the course of the game. This is a classic action RPG with a lot of side quest, arena, simple equipment management, big explorable area. But the biggest feature of the game is the interaction with the environnement, every skill and magic can have a effect depending of the area. Like ice magic will freeze water, fireball will put on fire on Tumbleweed then push foward ennemies, quake like attack will detach ice cycle or stalamite from the celling, etc etc. This is a very imaginative way to expand very fast and fun combat. Also element weakness play a big role into the gameplay, so finding weakness help to advance into the game. Great music, great graphic, this game was so forgot that Koei never really the 3 area expension that came out in Japan, I'm still mad about them for this... i would have take a lot more, it was really enjoyable.

butman

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 30, 2017
latest

If you liked Cuphead. You will LOVE this series.

Bomblord

Self-requested ban
Banned
Jan 11, 2018
Dude, This is still in my backlog. I loved the Wario Land series when i was little. I must still play this and Wario World

Don't tell anyone but..

I haven't played it either I just thought it looked really cool at the time it came out from Nintendo power previews but there was another game I was more interested in so I never got it (honestly can't remember what game it was)

Last edited:

Mindestens

Nov 20, 2017
MV5BZDNmNTdlMDktYmIzYi00N2NhLTk5YTEtNDRlOWZjZGY0MjU3XkEyXkFqcGdeQXVyNTEwNDY2MjU@._V1_.jpg

Gaming press in my country hyped Devastation pre-release like hell. GRAPHICS! Smart AI! GAMEPLAY! Then in 2003 it came out... and that was the end of it because there was nothing to be hyped about.

TheMan

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
There's not been much talk of flight sims but they were all the rage back in the 80's. Falcon 4.0 was probably the height of the genre.
32598-falcon-4-0-windows-front-cover.jpg

Wasn't just the great graphics but had a brilliant hud and cockpit and awesome full blown war campaign mode.

Microprose is long gone, but falcon 4.0 lives on. Check out BMS for a free, fan made overhaul. Still a bit primitive compared to DCS and the install process for BMS is frankly a pain, but it's considered a fantastic upgrade by enthusiasts.

Syril

Oct 26, 2017

The Legend of Spyro Eternal Night for GBA. I don't know a whole lot about the console versions of this game or the other games in the trilogy it was a part of. I was aware of them just kind of coming and going. This version of this game, however, is pretty much Devil May Cry in 2D. You have your basic combo that you can mix up with launchers and knockdowns and all that stuff, you have various breath weapons with their own functions, you have a style gauge that gives you bonus gems for defeating enemies with it raised, you even have a "dragon rage" ability that works exactly like Devil Trigger. It also has some of the better use of environmental hazards I've seen in an action game, where hazards are just as dangerous to the enemies as they are to you and can be used in your favor. The hard mode also ramps up AI in addition to damage, and enemies become way more aggressive and punish you for dropping combos on them. The leads on this game went on to do Volgarr the Viking.