• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Dictator

Digital Foundry
Verified
Oct 26, 2017
Berlin, 'SCHLAND
Cyclones
CyClones-Game-Cover.jpg

Before the genius that are Hexen and Heretic, Raven Software made an FPS on their own engine that is "doom like". Even then, it is not very doom like, more like a more quiet and open Wolf 3D given the lack of multidimensionality in enemy placement and level design. I remember its use of the mouse, which I at the time was not at all accustomed to and I ended up playing it originally on KB only.

The game has interesting looking first person weapon and hand sprites - presumably based off of the 3D SGI looking graphics made for the game's cover?

samred

Amico fun conversationalist
Nov 4, 2017
Seattle, WA
Cyclones
CyClones-Game-Cover.jpg

Before the genius that are Hexen and Heretic, Raven Software made an FPS on their own engine that is "doom like". Even then, it is not very doom like, more like a more quiet and open Wolf 3D given the lack of multidimensionality in enemy placement and level design. I remember its use of the mouse, which I at the time was not at all accustomed to and I ended up playing it originally on KB only.

The game has interesting looking first person weapon and hand sprites - presumably based off of the 3D SGI looking graphics made for the game's cover?

I somehow missed this game, thanks for bumping it. Also, I really miss those old Strategic Simulations boxes.

SuperYlvis

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I feel like people have already forgotten about The Last Guardian. No talk about it, whatsoever.

Last edited:

SeeingeyeDug

Oct 28, 2017
I feel like people have already forgitten about The Last Guardian. No talk about it, whatsoever.

Feels like that was some monumental hype train mob mentality kept going and when the game finally came out, it was a fine game, but felt "meh" to those hypers. Kinda like if Half Life 3 did ever come out, it would most likely be disappointing to hypers.

ferr

Oct 25, 2017
Brave_Fencer_Musashi.jpg

Brave Fencer Musashi (ブレイヴフェンサー 武蔵伝 Bureivu Fensā Musashiden, "Brave Fencer: The Legend of Musashi") is an action role-playing video game developed and published by Square in 1998 for the PlayStation home console. The game involves real-time sword-based combat in a 3D environment; it also features segments of voiced over dialogue and role-playing game elements such as a day-night cycle and resting to restore energy.

The story follows Musashi, a young swordsman who is summoned to a parallel world to defend Allucanet Kingdom from the Thirstquencher Empire. He searches for the Five Scrolls, which can enhance the powers of his sword, while interacting with people from Allucanet and a nearby village.
hqdefault.jpg

Battle_Arena_Toshinden_PSX_cover.jpg

Battle Arena Toshinden (バトルアリーナ闘神伝 Batoru Arīna Tōshinden) is a weapons-based fighting game developed by Tamsoft and published by Takara and Sony Computer Entertainment in 1995-1996 for the PlayStation, Sega Saturn, Game Boy, and PC. It was one of the first fighting games to boast polygonal characters in a 3D environment, and it is credited for taking the genre into "true 3-D" due to its introduction of the sidestep maneuver.[1]

The game was originally promoted as a PlayStation exclusive,[2] with Sony initially promoting it as a "Saturn killer" (against Sega's Virtua Fighter),[3] but it was ported to the Saturn with additional features less than a year later. Once fighting games like Tekken started emerging, Battle Arena Toshinden quickly declined in popularity, but still did spawn a series of sequels. It was the first 3D weapons fighter, and was succeeded in spirit by Soul Edge and other games of the genre.
battle-arena-toshinden-ntsc-u-scus-94200.png

SweetSark

Banned
Nov 29, 2017
Well, I have a punch of old Videogame Magazines, so let see which game I can recommend.
*turn first page*
Literally the second page is a commercial of a old Strategy game.

60080-the-great-battles-of-hannibal-windows-front-cover.jpg

The Great Battle of Hannibal

The computer game version GMT Games' boardgame SPQR (Senātus Populusque Rōmānus) and several SPQR scenario packs. It is a turn-based tactical wargame that includes eleven battles of the Second Punic War pitting Rome versus Carthage.

Bengraven

Oct 26, 2017
Florida
Anyone say Mazes of Fate yet?

Goddamn I loved that game, but I in all my years it's the first and only time I got the dreaded "save file corrupted" because my battery died while saving.

Meant to buy it later on DS.

Wish we could get a iOS port or at least a GBA/DS Nintendo eshop purchase.

Oct 28, 2017
Warship Gunner 2. I used to play it regularly on ps2. You design your own ship with things you gradually unlock and go on various missions. Every once in a while you face huge ship bosses, kind of like Ace Combat superweapons. I wish they made a new one, it's probably the unlikely sequel I wish for the most (besides Bloodborne)

Ge0force

Self-requested ban.
Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Belgium
07.jpg

Sacrifice (pc)

In the year 2000, AAA gaming was very different than we know it today. Studios were much smaller, so they could actually take the risk of launching fresh and innovating games. One of these studios was Shiny Entertainment (MDK, Earthworm Jim) and Sacrifice is my favorite game.

Sacrifice is one of the very few actual 3D RTS games ever made. You controlled one character directly, moving it around the battlefield to collect souls. With these souls, you could summon units to capture shrines for more souls or to fight the enemy. You could also use spells, both for offense and defense. When you were strong enough, you could perform a sacrifice ritual to desicrate the enemies altar.

The game had a good campaign with 10 missions, but was most enjoyable in multiplayer. I remember playing it on LAN meetings with friends, but online multiplayer was added through free patches as well.

Interesting fact: most of the game was made by only 4 (four!) people. Good old times...

OP
OP
malyse

malyse

Community Resetter
Well, I have a punch of old Videogame Magazines, so let see which game I can recommend.
*turn first page*
Literally the second page is a commercial of a old Strategy game.

60080-the-great-battles-of-hannibal-windows-front-cover.jpg

The Great Battle of Hannibal

The computer game version GMT Games' boardgame SPQR (Senātus Populusque Rōmānus) and several SPQR scenario packs. It is a turn-based tactical wargame that includes eleven battles of the Second Punic War pitting Rome versus Carthage.
Naming random forgotten games is not the spirit of the thread.

T___T

SweetSark

Banned
Nov 29, 2017
Naming random forgotten games is not the spirit of the thread.

T___T

Ah, yeah, I forgot about the rule.
Sadly even if I remember a lot of old titles, I didn't had time to play many of them.
Also even if I played some old games, I don't remember exactly how they played, with some exceptions like the one I posted previously [The Devil Inside]

Deleted member 1849

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
So I have a couple, not sure if they are mentioned here:

Wachenroder

This is an SRPG on the Saturn with somewhat of an all star cast behind it, including Yasuyuki Ueda,Yoshitoshi Abe, and Range Murata. The music famously included contributions from Ian McDonald of King Crimson. There's some great art (but awful 3D assets) and some good music, and a decent story too. No English version exists sadly, but there is a guide online you can play along with. Maybe one day we'll get a proper translation patch of sorts.

Lagrange Point

Okay, seriously. Just listen to the OST of this game. It's honestly up there with the best NES/Famicom soundtracks in my opinion: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=drwX7MbB_IE

There is of course a reason for why this sounds so good technically. This is the only game ever released to use Konami's VRC7 chip, which allows it to massively surpass what the Famicom was usually capable of.

This Famicom RPG got a fan translation from Aeon Genesis a while back, and is fully playable in English nowadays.

CRW Metal Jacket

An old PC-98 proto-RTS game which recently (well... a year ago) received a fan translation. If you want an area in gaming history which is niche enough to fade into history, Japan only home computer games is probably that area. This one gets a mention from me because of the similarities to the first XCOM and Front Mission games, and the fact that it's actually available in English.

Last edited:

Deleted member 1849

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Gadget_Racers_%28PlayStation_2%29_Coverart.png

This game, right here. Gadget Racers. This remains one of the best racing games I have ever played. It's kinda like Mario Kart in terms of gameplay, but with an entire RPG system within it as well, with lots of quests, minigames, and upgrades for your vehicle.

I would genuinely put it on par with the Mario Kart games in terms of how good it is. It's THAT good. IMO, it's the most underrated racing game ever made. Because I have genuinely never seen anybody else ever talk about it, ever. It got middling reviews when it came out, but don't let them fool you... This game was truly unique and ahead of its' time.

This is the sequel to Road Trip Adventure right? It's the Choro-Q game that came directly after it if I remember right.

RTA was my jam growing up. Definitely massively underrated games.

Majukun

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
20049_front.jpg
blazeblade_image4.jpg

My first pc game ever,can't say i remember much about it other than it being pretty fast for being a jrpg

PogiJones

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
When I was a little kid, I was given the opportunity to rent a game. There was an NES game with a really cool snake on the cover. My older brothers and I called it the snake game.

But really, it was some sort of single screen game with multiple levels in the screen (kind of like those bonus stages is Mario World), and some sort of combat. I think you had some sort of gun.

It was an endless game. The levels just repeated. It was awful, and I was so sad to have wasted my rental on it.

To this day I don't know what it was called. I still just call it the snake game because it had a cool snake on the cover.

dubc

Oct 27, 2017
Seattle
n64_monster_truck_madness_p_0dldb7.jpg

Microsoft?
Rockstar?
Only for N64?

This game was so much fun. A lot of trucks to chose from, varied tracks, weird and funky power ups all over the track (similar to Mario Kart), a battle mode, and there is even a Rocket League game mode(!), both soccer and hockey!

39987-Monster_Truck_Madness_64_(Europe)_(En,Fr,De,Es,It)-1511737966.png
Oh wow! I didn't know there was a 64 version. I had the game on PC back in the day, played using the keyboard lol. It was a fun game! (Edit, looks like a different developer for the PC version, seems like a similar game though).

yaffi

Oct 28, 2017
510CRH1664L._SY445_.jpg

I don't know if a game from 2004 counts as old, but Knights of the Temple: Infernal Crusade is a game that isn't known by a lot of people. One reason might be that it only released in Europe. It's a third person action adventure set during the first crusade (11th century) and you play a templar yourself (supernatural elements are involved, also it's a very dark game overall). The game is by Starbreeze Studios and ressembles Enclave a lot. I remember liking the gameplay and the setting, but it had a lot of that european jankiness.

Here's some gameplay:

Masquerader

Banned
Nov 4, 2017
This is the sequel to Road Trip Adventure right? It's the Choro-Q game that came directly after it if I remember right.

RTA was my jam growing up. Definitely massively underrated games.

Yeah, I think that it was the last entry of a series of racing games. But I never even SEEN any others, nevermind played them, sorry! It was a great game, mind.

Deleted member 1849

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Yeah, I think that it was the last entry of a series of racing games. But I never even SEEN any others, nevermind played them, sorry! It was a great game, mind.

If you can track down Road Trip Adventure, I highly recommend it. It used to be pretty easy to find in the UK where I'm from.

The series is actually a spin-off from a long running set of toys in Japan called Choro Q: https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Choro-Q

They made tens of games based on them but the HG series is the most famous one as it featured 4 PS2 games which had English releases. Two of which we are talking about:

HG - Gadget Racers (US), Penny Racers (EU)
HG2 - Road Trip Adventure
HG3 - Gadget Racers (EU)
HG4 - ChoroQ

After that everything went downhill, and the last ChoroQ game was localized as Penny Racers Party on the Wii back in 2008.

mrmoose

Nov 13, 2017

I think this game had like three sequels and a gameboy game made, plus it was like a PS1 launch title here and touted along with Tekken as the VF killer, so I'm not sure how forgotten it was.

Looking at all the square games, man they tried their hand in everything, they put out so many titles that are just largely forgotten.

I mean I went looking for Bushido Blade, and then was reminded of Einhander, Ehrgeiz (the one with Cloud in it), the Bouncer, the Secret of Evermore, Radiata Stories, the aforementioned Tobal No 1 and 2, most of which I have fond memories of (or still have sealed because of a gigantic RPG backlog)

Leland Palmer

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017

I remember liking this arena fighter when I was a kid. The one who activated all the bases in the arena won the game. It must have sold poorly because I can't find much info about it.

Dec 4, 2017
Brazil
JAQUETTE.JPG

English is not my first language so it's hard for me to describe how it was to play this game. All I can say is that he's practically magic. It's fun, it's full of details that hold attention, it has a rich 3D world, it causes me shivers just to listen to the theme song and I'm going to force my kids to play it before everything else.

There are so many little secrets. Exemple: If you go to the shop and use a bomb the owner will be scared and run. Them you can steal everything in the store with no penalty.

Reception
Robert Coffey of Computer Gaming World said, "With its unparalleled sense of marvel and imagination, engaging story, and deft mix of action and adventure, Twinsen's Odyssey is a true delight and simply the most charming game I've ever played". GameSpot's Ron Dulin gave the game 8.1 out of 10, stating "Fans of adventure games will not want to pass this one up". José Dias of Adventure Classic Gaming said "Relentless: Twinsen's Adventure is among the most original and intriguing adventure games ever released." and gave it a 4 out of 5.

Little Big Adventure 2 was a runner-up for Computer Gaming World's 1997 "Adventure Game of the Year" award, which ultimately went to The Curse of Monkey Island. The editors called Little Big Adventure 2 "a charming 3D action/adventure hybrid."

As you can see, it's not perfect, it's just magic.

Dec 5, 2017
Test drive off road wide open.

One of my all time favorite racing games.

The hook is simple, you start with rather simple vehicles like the ford f150 or the Dodge Durango and you race to unlock asvanced versions.
xboxtdwideopen_1m.jpg

The basis of it was that anything was driveable, and the tracks were based around these large environments and it encourages you to take whatever path you desire and to get creative. I loved this game.

House_Of_Lightning

Self-requested ban
Banned
Oct 29, 2017
Sword of the Samurai

This weird RTS/Strategy/Action/Political/RPG/Economy Game/Sim game all mashed into one. You start as a Samurai who must do things like raise grain, take care of your people, handle political stuff, etc. You can then go out on your own into the countryside as yourself for political stuff or as an unknown Ronin, where you can then sneak into your rivals homes to kill them or to kidnap their daughters or sons. If a dignitary are staying with them you can sneak in and murder the dignitary to cause shame on the family. If you sneak in undetected you kill them in your sleep, if you are seen then they will wait for you in their quarters and then you will start a very sim like sword fight. You can defend your cities or rice patties in action sequences. You can visit people for tea. You can challenge the daimyo for rule of Japan. You can raise troops and then invade and you play this very primitive RTS. Random Ronin can challenge you to battle, if you win you gain honor, if you lose you die and the children you've sired over the years are your next playable characters.

Very primitive game, but fun in its own right. Wish there was a modern version of it. Sword of the Samurai on PS2 is nothing like it, Way of the Samurai has parts similar but lacks the breadth and scope.

Celine

Oct 26, 2017
FLASH KOIBITO-KUN
This action puzzle game for WonderSwan is virtually unknown outside Japan.
It was made by Koto, Gunpey Yokoi own company after leaving Nintendo, and it feels like a high quality Nintendo's Game & Watch game.
The purpose in the game is to make "hearts" (like physical hearts reppresenting love) flow toward a gal (or guy depending if you choose a male or female protagonist) to make her (or him) fall in love with you.
The flow can be controlled by Kobito-kun, a bizarre cupido-like Ninja which is as fast as flash, and it's instrumental to avoid the various hazards on the stages and create combo to rack up high points.
The last part is of extreme importance because Flash Koibito-kun is at its heart (pun intended) a score based action puzzle game.

MQ7caOS.jpg

Koozek

Oct 25, 2017
Eternal Eyes

it's like Final Fantasy tactics only worst in every possible way. But it got me into Strategy games and I love this game for that. It's really short but it's okay, I've beaten it multiple times since it has a new game plus mode and a monester creation element that I like. Plus secret characters unlockables that make the story look silly, but all in good fun.

Edit; And I new posted by accident
Hehe, loved that one back in the days.

Gifmaker

Banned
Oct 29, 2017
001.jpg

I am always surprised that this game does not get way more praise and attention. It's basically a Zelda II clone – except that it does every single thing better than Zelda II. Music, graphics, gameplay, difficulty curve, you name it. Being based on Greek mythology and taking you all over Greece, I even find the plot and lore to be a lot more engaging than Zelda II's.
250px-The_Battle_of_Olympus.png
olympus.png

olympus-spot08.png

Especially if you're a fan of Zelda II and think it was a shame that Nintendo never followed its path, give it a try. You might love this one. The only downside is that there's no save-feature and it is therefore password based, but in this day and age, this is an easy obstacle to overcome I suppose.

Celine

Oct 26, 2017
I was thinking of another one today! Something a lot of folks might not know is that Ubisoft has been around since the mid-80s. Back then they mostly published point and click adventure games, most of which have been all but completely forgotten. I'd like to single one out that I loved to play on our old 386 PC as a kid, called B.A.T.
I was quite surprised when I recently learnt that Ubisoft published a tie-in based on the cult italian comic Ranxerox simple titled Ranx - The videogame which is, as you said, a point & click adventure game.

1.jpg

Bumrush

Oct 25, 2017
Freddy Pharkas: Frontier Pharmacist was a dope PnC adventure game from the early 90s (which was already the golden age of PnCs).

Loved the setting (wild west) and the inclusion of some pharmaceutical mechanics

Nov 11, 2017
20049_front.jpg
blazeblade_image4.jpg

My first pc game ever,can't say i remember much about it other than it being pretty fast for being a jrpg

Oh shit Blaze & Blade! My friends and I loved to play this back in the day, it was the first proper multiplayer RPG I'd ever played and it was a ton of fun with friends. It's aged in the way that most PS1 games have (read: poorly), but at the time I thought it was the bee's knees. I remember being super impressed with the anime cutscene at the beginning lol.

Vex

Oct 25, 2017
One_Coverart.png

A game that no one remembers. You harness rage to get more powerful. But it is at its heart a full fledged platforming "shmup"!

Jet_Moto_Coverart.png

One of the hardest racing games of all time imo. You had to be near perfect to beat the campaign. This game featured physics based racing. You use your electrical grapple hook to make impossible turns! Some sick jumps in this game too!

36892-Fighting_Force_%5BNTSC-U%5D-3.jpg

Literally sor3d. Best times going through the game coop! Alternate routes promoted repeated playthroughs. Choose from 4 different characters as well. Loved "Smasher"! He could pick up car engines and throw them!

Vex

Oct 25, 2017
51T9HSH179L._SY445_.jpg

downhilldomination_sc005

downhill_domination_tbag.jpg

downhilldomination_sc006

watermark.php

511VK0T239L._SX425_.jpg

Insomniac

Downhill Domination! Omfg. I just remembered how fun this game was! Think SSX but with mountain bikes.

Im talking mid air tricks, boost meter, throwable water bottles, road rash (for genesis) like combat! Coop campaign! HUGE FUCKING JUMPS. I remember the sense of speed being incredible. Youd even encounter wildlife sometimes.

Gigan

Oct 27, 2017
Shadow Madness on PS1
2wc3dow.jpg
2wc3dow.jpg
2hfuhdz.jpg

My first game on PlayStation. I remember liking it, even if the characters Never. Stop. Talking. omg... Everybody was so damn talkative in this game...
To be honest, I don't remember much about the plot. Only that you had a robot/scarecrow as you party member (not even sure lol), that the female lead was dressed with a thong, and that there was a shot of an Eldrich abomination at the start that scared the shit out of young me.

The game had, like 1000 battle themes too. But some of them were great !

Tawpgun

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Delta+Force+1+Screenshot+2.jpg

Dunno if forgotten but damn. This was the first FPS I ever played and it blew my mind. Huge maps (infinite in size, actually, which was amazing), destruction, great multiplayer.

Last edited:

Rei Toei

Nov 8, 2017
Anyone remember Blue Wing Blitz? Square Enix Wonderswan strategy game. I never played it but liked the artstyle and look.

Blue_Wing_Blitz_cover_art.jpg
blore.gif
ssa3-discovery.gif

Boney

Oct 28, 2017
Santiago
darkspire.jpg

Old School type CRPG for the DS. Got totally overshadowed by its sister series Etrian Oddysey. Awesome use of flat colors.

the-dark-spire-20090416040558354.jpg

hotcyder

Oct 28, 2017
Lego_Rock_Raiders_Coverart.png

Every Genre needs a great entry level title to create new fans. Racing games have the Mario Kart series, Pokemon for Turn Based RPGs - and in my opinion, Lego Rock Raiders is the perfect introduction to the PC RTS genre. All the fun aspects of the genre are present - Base Building, Vehicle Building and Resource Gathering, with systems like Macro Management and Squad Composition fortunately toned down. A very clever Logic Tree for AI priorities give more confident players a chance to tailor their gameplay and maximise efficiency.

The thing that ties it all together beyond just a Lego RTS? Following the set its based on, Mining is a major component - not just to gather more resources but to expand your base and discover more of the map. Scratching that itch that Dungeon Keeper and later Minecraft would capitalize on, it's not just fun to do - but incentivised in game.

Finally, the natural blockiness of Lego means that the game hasn't aged too awfully - even if it is a pain to run on modern systems. The OST is mostly ambient tracks - but it has perhaps one of the most bumping result screen tracks I've ever heard (and will continue to hear on occasion)

I would love another title like this in future, either by jetasing the Lego Brand or with it's own spin on the original.