• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Boclfon479

Oct 25, 2017
220px-Azurikcover.jpg

I got my original Xbox with halo and oddword: munch's Odyssey.

While I came to Love halo, this was the game I wanted most for my Xbox. Also I sucked at it and couldn't get past the second world I think. But either way the game was awesome and being able to mix elements on your weapon was awesome

Redmond Barry

Nov 24, 2017
Would Wii first person shooters count? They were the talk of the town back in the day, "immersive motion controls" and what have you. Now, with the exception of Metroid Prime 3* and maybe Red Steel 2, it's like they never existed, which is not surprising given how their quality generally ranged from mediocre to bad.

*And don't give me any lip about it being a "first person adventure"

Fady

Oct 28, 2017
UAE
31490-glass-rose-playstation-2-front-cover.jpg

This murder-mystery adventure game was published by Capcom and defunct developers Cing (Trace Memory AKA Another Code, Hotel Dusk, etc.). One of the games that I beat that I think was forgotten about even before release haha. It never made it to North America though.

Green Mario

Oct 27, 2017
tradewars-2002.png

Trade Wars 2002... it's an OOOLLLLDDD (Started in 1986?) BBS game, though the are still telnet servers you can connected to, or host your own game. I think it's freeware at this point. I haven't really looked into it much the last decade or so.

It was the first "online" game I think I ever really played, or at least ever got deep into. It's typically turn based, with "state of the art" ASCII or ANSI graphics. When I first started I had an Apple Macintosh LCII and it could only do black/white ASCII. I didn't get to see the color ANSI goodness until I got a PC a couple years later.

tradewars-2002_750063_full.png

It was a perfect mix of 80's/90's Sci-Fi and some basic trading mechanics. Your ship had varying numbers of cargo space, and you'd buy 1 of 3 types of products from a space port and move it to another space port that was buying those for more money. You'd use the gained money to buy bigger and bigger ships, shields, fighters, etc. You could form "Corporations" aka clans with other online people to take over the galaxy.

trade-wars-2002_19.png

It was seriously revolutionary and amazing to be playing a game on your computer and suddenly you run across someone else playing AT THE SAME TIME AS YOU, yet they were physically somewhere completely different. This was pre-commercial internet for the most part.. so it blew my mind as a kid that this was possible. The fact that the galaxy was a persistent one was also incredible. People would log in at all hours of the day and night, so when you signed off you had to make sure your ship and planets were as secure as possible.. and there were more than a few times when I logged in the next day after school and I was adrift in an escape pod. Games 'not turning off' when you stop playing was a crazy concept for me in the 90s.

Since the graphics are so basic, the game hasn't 'aged' badly, or at all. If anything, it's 'retro' now, and its simple style is really appealing. I might need to see If I can find a server and get sucked in all over again.

Now this is some crazy shit.

scottbeowulf

Oct 27, 2017
United States
Labyrinth of Time
ss_f8d009e0862300c2a507f6ef321b650181d10490.1920x1080-1024x768.jpg

I played the hell out of this game in about 1994. It was kind of a Myst rip off. Had really cool music. So much prerendered 3d. It looked so good at the time.

Rising Zan The Samurai Gunman

wg2TA
wg2TA

A weird action game released on psone with awful control and crazy story. You control Zan, fighting baddies with your sword and occasionally your gun. It control very clunky with unresponsive lockon system. The only redeeming qualities is the wacky story that remind me of God Hand for PS2.

SupremeWu

Banned
Dec 19, 2017
181828-Gladius_(Europe)-1495943918.jpg

Gladius, from 2003.

This was a latter-day LucasArts masterpiece that never got its due. It was a deep, content-rich, turn-based strategy game that sent you on a long journey collecting (and customizing) a posse of fantasy and mythology-based gladiators to partake in arena battles. In addition to two campaigns, it even threw in co-op and competitive multiplayer.

It was on everything, too -- GameCube, PS2, Xbox and PC. I still dream of a sequel, or spiritual successor.

Thank you for saving me the time. Gladius was, amazing. So much trash gets sequels and this game didn't.

OP
OP
malyse

malyse

Community Resetter
220px-Azurikcover.jpg

I got my original Xbox with halo and oddword: munch's Odyssey.

While I came to Love halo, this was the game I wanted most for my Xbox. Also I sucked at it and couldn't get past the second world I think. But either way the game was awesome and being able to mix elements on your weapon was awesome
Was it the game informer cover that got you?

lordlad

Banned for trolling with an alt account
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Singapore
Adventure of Cookie and Cream...by FROM Software.....remember the FROM Software logo from the list of devs during the Switch announcement? Those thinking that Dark Souls is coming to switch will be disappointed as it is clearly going to be a remake/remaster/sequel of The Adventures of Cookie & Cream on the Switch instead.

Cookiecreamps2.PNG

DanteLinkX

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Enter the matrix and Matrix Path of Neo. Some people have even told me "how come they never released a matrix game" lol.

Fairy Godmother

Backward compatible
Oct 27, 2017
Okay I went through 9 pages without seeing this mentioned. So here goes: Septerra Core.
A relatively unknown cyberpunk RPG, with cheesy but charming voice acting and Grandia-ish turn based battle.
AM8Px5X.jpg

Mr.Deadshot

Oct 27, 2017
Didn't read through all picture heavy pages, but does anyone remember SACRIFICE from Shiny Entertainment? It was a game ahead of it's time. A genius mixture of RTS and action-game with a fantastic art-style and dark humor. You directly controlled a sorcerrer of five elements and summoned creatures and unleashed devastating spells on enemies. Great fun.

MarkMcLovin

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 28, 2017
I've been playing this recently and it really is amazing. The most charming 16-bit RPG this side of Super Mario RPG. But how the hell did Nigel put on that outfit!?

I love it. The ONLY thing that annoys me is the constant sound when you jump. And seeing that you jump A LOT it gets annoying.

The dungeons are great too.

Monodi

Oct 27, 2017
Sonoran Desert
Drill_Dozer.jpg

It's a highly rated game but I don't see it mentioned at all. I love this game.

It's a beautiful platformer made by Game Freak where you literally to everything by drilling. Solving puzzles, defending, jumping, etc. The music is great, beautiful graphics, great level design and fun gameplay. The game constantly tries to trap you in rooms where you think you can't progress until you start drillin and drillin.

tumblr_inline_mgbmfw28Ot1rcni8f.gif

tumblr_inline_mgbmg23ZDP1rcni8f.gif
People that know me well know that I am obsessed with this game. It frustrates me a lot how this game feels like it was very designed to be a prelude to a bigger sequel with all its world building and fun cast of characters. I dream of a cell-shaded sequel in an idea world.

Deleted member 18347

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
"Lost in Shadow" on the Wii

A charming little puzzle platformer where you play as the severed shadow of a boy.

Gameplay can get a bit tedius at times, but there's enough intrigue in the setting and atmosphere to make up for that. Game kinda had this Team Ico feel to it.

Also, while the Japanese boxart is artistically leagues ahead of the US one, the latter did a better job at communicating the game's premise. The Jp one simply ignored the whole thing about playing in the shadows.

lost_in_shadow_boxart.jpg

91N8FdYRteL._AC_SL1500_.jpg

Intro and initial gameplay:
https://youtu.be/eTxhjogVYPM

SWIV 3D
6191-swiv-3d-dos-front-cover.jpg

SWIV 3D (also known as SWIV 3D Assault) is a 3D video game remake of SWIV developed and published by SCi Games in 1996. It is the last game in the Silkworm/SWIV series and the only game of the series to use a voxel-based 3D engine.

In SWIV 3D the player must pilot a helicopter navigating through a series of landscapes destroying buildings to fulfil mission goals. There are also opportunities to use an armoured Jeep.

Rei Toei

Nov 8, 2017
"Lost in Shadow" on the Wii

A charming little puzzle platformer where you play as the severed shadow of a boy.

Gameplay can get a bit tedius at times, but there's enough intrigue in the setting and atmosphere to make up for that. Game kinda had this Team Ico feel to it.

Also, while the Japanese boxart is artistically leagues ahead of the US one, the latter did a better job at communicating the game's premise. The Jp one simply ignored the whole thing about playing in the shadows.

Intro and initial gameplay:
https://youtu.be/eTxhjogVYPM

One of those games that had me really intrigued but I never owned a Wii and didn't get around playing it. Really liked the concept and look of it though.

Oct 25, 2017
Deadly_Creatures.jpg

Loved this one. The concept sold me, playing as a tarantula and a scorpion against other creepy crawlies, as well as Billy Bob Thornton and Dennis Hopper?! FUCK YES.

Oct 28, 2017
I remember loving this as a kid but its been years...
maxresdefault.jpg
OH GOD THIS GAME AGAIN.
Me and a friend of mine found it in a thrift store last year and bought it cause we were wondering what the hell was actually going on with it.
We laughed a bit with it and then later found out there's like this weird following.
I mean you can like whatever you want but I just thought it was bizarre finding fansites and speedruns for this game of all things.

FantaSoda

Oct 28, 2017
To this day, I haven't spent as much time in any online shooter as I did with SoF 2. I absolutely LOVED it. The MP was about as close to perfect as anything I've ever played.

As for the topic, I have two.

98300-haunting-starring-polterguy-genesis-front-cover.jpg

Haunting may be one of the most unique games on the Genesis. You have to drive a family out of increasingly complicated houses by possessing household objects and scaring the shit out of them. You possess a couch and it becomes a giant mouth trying to eat them, etc.

Powerslave is a typical early FPS, but it has a unique Egyptian setting and was hard as hell. I never finished it. Had a lot of fun with it though.

I think about Haunting all the time. It was so different and weird. I miss that era of experimental gameplay.

Yeah it's well worth playing, very charming game.

Excite Truck was the second best game in the launch lineup though.

Excite Truck was legitimately amazing. The absolute definition of a flawed gem. I have never had another racing game that scratched that kind of intense itch. I remember the rush I would get when hitting my spins in the air and hitting a perfect landing. The gameplay was different from any other racing game, where boost states are occasional flourishes. In Excite Truck, the goal is to stay in a boost state (by performing tricks and nailing landings/drifts) for as much of the race as possible. Also, the fact that it supported custom soundtracks added so much to the game. Nothing in Excite Bots could compare to racing on Mars with Freebird blaring as I'm doing 1080 spins in a monster truck in super low gravity.

mqPAAln.png

Little Nemo was a side scroller on the NES. Mom had got it for me as a Christmas gift. Had never heard of the game, never saw it mentioned in any game mags, and never saw any commercials for it. Me being 13 years old at the time, the first thing I thought to myself was, "Man, what kind of lame ass game did mom get me." I seriously thought I would be taking it to Babbages for trade-in credit in a day or two lol. But to my surprise, the game was damn great. Searching for keys and using the animal powers I came across to beat levels was just plain ol' fun. I never hear anyone mention it and I've never met another person who has even played it.

I went to a cousin's house who had this game and I was blown away by it. It had basically Mario Odyssey's capture mechanic, laid on top a tight, beautiful, polished platformer created by Capcom during its peak.

Deadly_Creatures.jpg

Loved this one. The concept sold me, playing as a tarantula and a scorpion against other creepy crawlies, as well as Billy Bob Thornton and Dennis Hopper?! FUCK YES.

I hope that the Switch is a big success, because one thing I loved about the Wii era was how all of these weird games found a home in the HD era. I hope that the Switch carries on the PSX>PS2>Wii legacy of bonkers games that don't require the highest graphical fidelity.

To add to the conversation, I am probably one of the few that remembers Guardian War for the 3DO

45057-guardian-war-3do-front-cover.jpg

It was a weird action RPG with a super unique artstyle. I wouldn't say that it was good by today's standards, but for the time of its release it was notable.

Also, I would like to remember Elemental Gimmick Gear or E.G.G. for the Dreamcast

161458-egg-elemental-gimmick-gear-dreamcast-front-cover.png

It had this beautiful hand-drawn art and top-down Zelda like gameplay. I remember playing it for a little while, but getting confused about where to go. It did leave an impression on me though for the short time I spent with it.

BourbonJungle

Nov 1, 2017
1181242123270.png

Jungle Hunt was one of the first games I ever played and I still find the vine swinging and boulder jumping quite fun. Have it currently on one of the PS2 Taito Arcade collections.

Probably why I later found Circus Charlie on the unlicensed NES 31-in-1 collection so damned charming.

circus-charlie-13.png

Jacqli

Nov 26, 2017
I looooove this thread, several games that I used to play as a kid and many more hidden classic games that I had no idea they existed.

My contribution is a puzzle game that I used to play a lot when I was a child on my precious Dreamcast: Wetrix. It seems simple, but it is really really fun. Basically, you have a flat portion of land and, later, water that you need to keep it inside of terrain, which will be given to you randomly, similar to tetris (although you do not always get terrain, also some pieces destroy terrain instead or give you water or dry the water or bombs):
ZpXbTVT.jpg

And I did not know before searching this image that it is also available on N64 and PC!

nitekrawler

Oct 28, 2017
2-MeatSculpter.gif

If there was ever a game that defined visceral action it was Shadow of Rome. It's another amazing Capcom one off PS2 game that desperately deserves a sequel.

The set-piece battles and "stages" are thoroughly memorable. While I tend to hate weapon breaking in games, in general, it works in this game. It creates a desperation, a scavenger-like mentality, and a sense of strategy that the action might lack otherwise.

Most importantly it's a game about gladiatorial combat that is not only about hacking foes to pieces but also playing to the crowd. Much in the way DMC might have a style meter, this has a crowd meter visible in the gif above. When you cheer to the crowd they might reward you with food to restore your health, weapons or even a 4X score multiplier if you do it with your opponents head in hand. If your meter is maxed you get really big weapons. It can be tempting to cheer as soon as you max but you must be careful. Anything the crowd throws out from food to huge weapon can be co-opted and used against you. Salvos in the games such as meat sculptor pictured above are various ways the game can register you killing and injuring your opponents. This gives you incentives to try out varied and different ways of maiming your opponents much in the same way the breakable weapons do because you obtain more points for doing Salvos the crowd has yet to see giving many maimings a rather strategic purpose.

I know reviewers harped on the stealth segments but I thought they offered a great break from what might be too much over the top violence and visceral action otherwise. Plus I felt the stealth segments had merit in and of themselves. They kinda remind me of Hitman which isn't a bad thing if you ask me. There is also nothing more comically violent and funny than watching the Ocyavianus break pots over guards heads to loot them or steal their costume. I recall the heartbeat of the dualshock in your hands as your character is close to being caught as a neat way of conveying tension. The variety of missions was a strength if you ask me. Stealth and combat both. From the free for all, team battles, king of the hill, animal hunts, chariot races and bosses the scenarios in the game were really quite varied.

I don't even have a PS2 anymore but I still drag out this disk and emulate it. The action is still that fun. This one also looks good emulated but the sound quality suffers heavily. I bet user reviews were much kinder to this game than critical ones. Part of me longs for a sequel to this game but according to wikipedia, a sequel means we might not have Dead Rising as that's what SoR2 became after low sales killed their franchise ideas.

Some Concept Art:
Agrippa.jpg

ShadowofRomeGladiators.jpg

MrCunningham

Banned
Nov 15, 2017
D2 (Sega Dreamcast, 2000)

2708_front.jpg

The sequel to Kenji Eno's D. This game is a combination of survival horror, point and click adventure, RPG and hunting simulator. You play a character named Laura who survives a plane crash in the Canadian Yukon. The player has to survive in the snowy wilderness and fight off plant infested creatures. The game itself is an odd one and has somewhat clunky controls. But once you get used to them, the game is actually quite unique and interesting. D2 also has unskippable cut scenes... and a lot of them. This is another Dreamcast exclusive that was never ported to any other platform.

Firebrand

Oct 25, 2017
Ganja Farmer, MS-DOS, 1998. Protect your ganja field from The Man, mon.

I seem to recall it was pretty popular for a while.

nihilence

nøthing but silence
Oct 25, 2017
From 'quake area to big OH.
lAxs9sg.jpg

My friend had a ps1 and I had an N64. One night he was spending the night and my dad decided to rent a game for us and picked this up.

At first we were confused. Neither knew how to play it, but we slowly learned. It was clunky and strange. By the end of the rental we were having fun with it.

Every now and then I actually think about it. I've even thought about buying a copy as a joke for my friend.

CatDoggo

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
51xUjl9DVOL._SY445_.jpg

Yeah, the game tries waaay too hard to be edgy at times but it's a genuinely fun and challenging platformer. At worst it has some camera issues but the range of movement Vexx has is amazing and you never really feel like you're fighting with the controls at any time. I will always be sad Acclaim died before the sequel could get made because there was apparently several worlds and mechanics that were cut from the original Vexx that they were planning on putting into the sequel. The game is backwards compatible on the Xbox 360 and to this day I'll pull it out at least once a year to play through it again.

OP
OP
malyse

malyse

Community Resetter
D2 (Sega Dreamcast, 2000)

2708_front.jpg

The sequel to Kenji Eno's D. This game is a combination of survival horror, point and click adventure, RPG and hunting simulator. You play a character named Laura who survives a plane crash in the Canadian Yukon. The player has to survive in the snowy wilderness and fight off plant infested creatures. The game itself is an odd one and has somewhat clunky controls. But once you get used to them, the game is actually quite unique and interesting. D2 also has unskippable cut scenes... and a lot of them. This is another Dreamcast exclusive that was never ported to any other platform.
A pity if only for the fact that I like the concept of Digital Actors.

SweetSark

Banned
Nov 29, 2017
Ooff!!!
I read all the pages in one go to make sure the game isn't mentioned...
Anyway, here a game I wanted to mention:

DI.jpg

The Devil Inside
Never finished the game for some reason I no longer remember, but for sure remember how memorable is for me. You are a contestant in a Death Killing Show trying to reach a Mansion and somehow with the game. Be a Killing Show, you have a cameraman following to record your actions and and a Host commenting you while you hear the audience cheering for you death I guess. However at the same time you can transform[?] into a Sexy Succubus to kill your enemies with magic.

xelios

Dec 22, 2017
32891-Arcana_(USA)-1496965214.jpg

Arcana is a first-person, dungeon-crawling RPG for the SNES. All the characters are cards and each dungeon has a village/town as a home base to go back to. It's the first of this specific genre I played as a kid and what got me interested in the genre.

Torpedo Vegas

Oct 27, 2017
Parts Unknown.
I think about Haunting all the time. It was so different and weird. I miss that era of experimental gameplay.

Excite Truck was legitimately amazing. The absolute definition of a flawed gem. I have never had another racing game that scratched that kind of intense itch. I remember the rush I would get when hitting my spins in the air and hitting a perfect landing. The gameplay was different from any other racing game, where boost states are occasional flourishes. In Excite Truck, the goal is to stay in a boost state (by performing tricks and nailing landings/drifts) for as much of the race as possible. Also, the fact that it supported custom soundtracks added so much to the game. Nothing in Excite Bots could compare to racing on Mars with Freebird blaring as I'm doing 1080 spins in a monster truck in super low gravity.

I went to a cousin's house who had this game and I was blown away by it. It had basically Mario Odyssey's capture mechanic, laid on top a tight, beautiful, polished platformer created by Capcom during its peak.

I hope that the Switch is a big success, because one thing I loved about the Wii era was how all of these weird games found a home in the HD era. I hope that the Switch carries on the PSX>PS2>Wii legacy of bonkers games that don't require the highest graphical fidelity.

To add to the conversation, I am probably one of the few that remembers Guardian War for the 3DO

45057-guardian-war-3do-front-cover.jpg

It was a weird action RPG with a super unique artstyle. I wouldn't say that it was good by today's standards, but for the time of its release it was notable.

Also, I would like to remember Elemental Gimmick Gear or E.G.G. for the Dreamcast

161458-egg-elemental-gimmick-gear-dreamcast-front-cover.png

It had this beautiful hand-drawn art and top-down Zelda like gameplay. I remember playing it for a little while, but getting confused about where to go. It did leave an impression on me though for the short time I spent with it.
I had Guardian wars on 3DO, Played the hell out of it. I had Egg too on Dreamcast.

Hell Gate London. We've forgotten it and we are all better off for it.
2098000-box_hellgatel.png

I would still like to see someone do an over the shoulder action RPG with Diablo loot, like what this was supposed to be.

Rassilon

Oct 27, 2017
UK
Blobbo
hqdefault.jpg

Blobbo is an ancient Mac puzzle game, in which you control a the titular yellow Blobbo.
One must collect all of the treasure chests in the level, by moving around and triggering chain reactions.

There's a surprising amount of complexity and one has to figure out the puzzles through trial and error; for example, you might accidentally trap Blobbo or treasure by triggering the wrong elements, or Blobbo might get impaled by an arrow.

I had a lot of fun with it on my Mac Power Pc back in the day.

Blobbo would say 'YEP' in a cery satisfying way when he got treasure from what I remember.

dharmapolice

Oct 25, 2017
slide_gaz.jpg

I used to play this business sim game on my computer called Gazillionaire. It artfully commingled my love of science fiction and money.

Deleted member 37151

Account closed at user request
Banned
Jan 1, 2018
I still often think about a game called MoHo on PS1. Googling reveals it also goes by the name Ball Breakers.

I remember seeing this on a demo disk and it just clicked with me. I was ridiculously hyped for it and bought it as soon as I saw it in the shops.

It reviewed averagely and I'd love to replay it and see if was actually any good because I remember pour HOURS into it.

It's a weird arena challenge game where you play as characters with balls for legs. A lot of the platforming etc relays therefore on momentum.

It was one of my favourite games and it seems to have been forgotten by history. Maybe it was one of those games that was crap but just clicked with me.

The other forgotten game I would like to bring up is James Bond JNR on the NES.

I remember James Bond junior so much, despite having no interest in James Bond himself. I had loads of toys of the series, VHS tapes and can still dig the theme tune by heart. It was absolute favourite cartoon growing up. No one else seems to remember it, to the point where people have thought I made it up, before I got YouTube out ( and there's not much stuff on It on YouTube).

The NES game I ordered from the back of a catalogue. It was a rock hard platformer with really difficult (I remember) hacking puzzles. My dad recently brought it up, talking about how it was incredibly frustrating.

I might get some emulators one weekend and reply these, but I don't want to spoil the nostalgia.

Epinephrine

Oct 27, 2017
North Carolina

It spawned two direct sequels. I think it was well loved at the time and is probably more familiar than you think.

32891-Arcana_(USA)-1496965214.jpg

Arcana is a first-person, dungeon-crawling RPG for the SNES. All the characters are cards and each dungeon has a village/town as a home base to go back to. It's the first of this specific genre I played as a kid and what got me interested in the genre.

This game is etched into my head only because the print advertisement. She featured a lot of cleavage, which made an impression on my 11 year old mind.

Arcana-SuperNES-PrintAd.jpg

Larrikin

Oct 25, 2017
I always have this game ready whenever I see this question:

The_Feeble_Files_Coverart.png

I've never heard of anyone other than myself playing this game. One of my favourite point&click games of all time. George Orwell's 1984 but in spaaaaaaaaaaace.

A great cast of characters that bounce of each other very well. Genuinely funny and very dry wit. Proper creepy at points and has some of my favourite 'alien' designs that really look out of this world. Great puzzles (one of my favourites in all of video games, involving mixing solutions to create a sleeping draught). Get this on GoG. It's well worth it, particularly if you like the genre. Plus, the main character is voiced by Kryten from Red Dwarf.