• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

ShimmyShakes

Nov 1, 2017
Final Fantasy XIII

I was so excited for this game. Loved XII (still my fave FF), it was the first FF in HD (720p! Proper widescreen!), it was a return to sci-fi, Lightning's character and weapon design looked awesome ("it's a sword that turns into a gun!"). Turns out that despite the battle system being pretty good, the characters were unlikable, the environments were beautiful but boring corridors, the story was almost non-sensical, and the dialogue was atrocious. I've tried a couple of times to play it, but I just value my time too much to suffer through it.

Far Cry 5

I loved Primal, and I really enjoyed FC3 even though I was quite LTTP. I thought the setting would be ripe for some sharp social commentary. Pre-ordered the Gold edition so I could get stuck into it on Day 1. Ended up having very shallow narrative, terrible ending, and the gameplay was mostly fun but they absolutely destroyed the quiet exploration part that made the others fun by having something ridiculous happen every two minutes. It's not "emergent" if it happens constantly - it's "obnoxious".

Oct 27, 2017
Recently Control. Bought it when on sale and waited for the PS5 upgrade. Went free with ps plus and decided not to try and refund since it was only $20 and I kept reading good things about it. Four hours in and it's just not clicking with me at all. Maybe it's cause I started it after Last of us 2 but I just can't.

Josh5890

I'm Your Favorite Poster's Favorite Poster
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Resident Evil. I have wanted to get into the series for years but every time I have played the first game I just keep dying or not get far. I have played the ps1 and HE version.

I guess the franchise is not for me

Many

Sep 17, 2018
There was some Wolverine game for Gamecube (and PS2 and Xbox, I suppose) game that I saw in a magazine. I rented it and was awful.

RedBaron17

Oct 27, 2017
For me, it will have to be Anthem and Death Stranding. I was soooo hype for the co-op campaign in Anthem.
And Death Stranding, well, let's just say I'm still in the denial phase.

Ashlette

Oct 28, 2017
Batman Arkham Knight. After hearing from online discussions that
its best ending was terrible,
I dropped it.

ultimaotaku

Oct 25, 2017
I'm sure i'll cop it but The Last of Us,

I was very excited before it came out, had to wait a fe weeks before i could play it and kept hearing how good it was.....
Then i played it and sure it was a fantastic story but my god the gameplay was dull.

I've meant to go back and replay it again but i just havent been able to.

Viale

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 25, 2017
13 sentinels is the recent one that comes to mind for me. For all intents and purposes, it should have been my shit. I love the style, I love the premise, I love anime/Sci Fi stories in general. Especially with the early hype it was getting, I felt like it should have been an easy homerun.

It wasn't a bad game, and I did still like aspects of it, but while I was playing, I kept waiting for the twist or story moment that would make me go "ohhhhhh shit," and hook me hard into the story..., and it never really came. Of the 13 "protagonists", I also only actually liked a couple and mostly felt crippling apathy towards the rest. Went in thinking it would be another genre great for me like VLR or Steins;Gate, but it definitely doesn't hit that high for me. One of my bigger disappointments in recent memory.

ventuno

Nov 11, 2019
The more time passes, the more 13 Sentinels is that game for me recently. It's not about the hype, I just feel that the narrative's handling of its female characters and how the story wraps up were underwhelming. I wish I enjoyed the game's conclusion as much as I enjoyed being presented with an interesting mystery.

Fire Emblem Three Houses is another big one for me... I was so disappointed with how poorly handled the Blue Lions timeskip was and how the curtain lifted on big flaws to come that I haven't finished it yet. I will eventually...

Kupo Kupopo

Jul 6, 2019
It's not about the grown-ups so much as it's about putting up a fight against established power structures. Yes, because the cast is full of teenagers, those power structures are often framed in the context of the contrast between the actions of adults and adolescents, because adults occupy positions of power and are responsible for damaging shifts in their lives beyond their control.

But realistically, it's mostly Ryuji who harps endlessly about "shitty adults" specifically.

(This isn't to say P5 handles these themes perfectly - it definitely doesn't - but they're not quite that simplistic).

so, you agree that it's often framed that way, that one of the characters even describes it that way, but it not actually quite that simplistic. sounds to me like we're actually mostly in agreement. i still say, if you were asked by someone who hasn't played the game to sum up the over-all theme of the game as briefly as possible, & you told them it was 'grown-ups suck!', & they then went on to play the game, they'd very likely find that this description is pretty concisely right on the money...

Melpomene

One Winged Slayer
Jun 9, 2019
so, you agree that it's often framed that way, that one of the characters even describes it that way, but it not actually quite that simplistic. sounds to me like we're actually mostly in agreement. i still say, if you were asked by someone who hasn't played the game to sum up the over-all theme of the game as briefly as possible, & you told them it was 'grown-ups suck!', & they then went on to play the game, they'd very likely find that this description is pretty concisely right on the money...
I mean in the most pithy and reductionist sense possible, sure, but pretty much every game sounds like garbage when you sum it up that way.

Baphomet

Dec 8, 2018
MGSV
BOTW

I still think they are good games but man what disappointments they turned out to be for me.

Rimpim

Banned
Feb 7, 2021
God Of War

I just could't. Kratos was one of my all time favourite characters, but was absolutely butchered in the remake/sequel. I wanterd to skip every single cutscene and dialogue, since it just didn't feel like Kratos.

Any Japanese action or RPG

I've tried countless times, but I just can't seem to make it past the first hour or so. There are some very cool consepts, but the artstyle and goofy/cringy dialogue and story just never sits well. And the gameplay is rarely my cup of tea.

Just not for me.

Estizzle

Jan 14, 2019
Pokemon Sword/Shield and The Last of Us Part II.

Completed Sw/Sh and just felt disappointment past the first two hours, played 6 hours of TLOU2 before putting it down because I just wasn't enjoying it. I can at least say TLOU2 seems to be a very high quality product, I just couldn't mesh with it despite really liking the first game. I can't say the same about Sw/Sh.

Kupo Kupopo

Jul 6, 2019
I mean in the most pithy and reductionist sense possible, sure, but pretty much every game sounds like garbage when you sum it up that way.

well, considering the topic, i guess my point is that, previous to persona 5, i don't feel that the themes of the previous games in the series were nearly as simplistic, or as easy to sum up such a straight-forward way. hence, my disappointment...

RPGam3r

Oct 27, 2017
Death Stranding pulled me in with pedigree and left me disappointed based on its gameplay.

Bloodborne. I wanted Souls and all the variety in gameplay that comes with. Instead it's a greatly reduced experience lacks the play style differences of other Souls titles.

TLOU (and 2). Uncharted got me interested, but I just can't with this series no matter how many times I try. It wallows in misery and I'm not in for that when gaming.

Destiny (and 2). This isn't what I want from the people that made Halo. What's worse is it plays like a dream and wrapped in a nightmare of a gameplay loop.

Majik13

Oct 27, 2017
Red Dead Redeption 1 and 2, wasn't fun to control, and didn't really feel like I was exploring the world.

Desma

Oct 27, 2017
Final Fantasy VII Remake

FF XIII? Brought it on release, had a great time with it.
FF XV? Brought it on release, had a great time with it.
FF VII Remake? Waited 'till the price dropped, did not have a great time with it.

In fact, haven't even beaten it yet (But I will at some point).
I just cannot stand what they did to the plot.

I haven't gotten that far into the original, but I've gotten past the Midgar section, and there, it's incredible.
I'm sure the first 10 hours of the original game is one of the main reasons why it's such a landmark title.

So I can understand that they were not gonna remake Final Fantasy VII, and instead make "Final Fantasy VII Remake".
That's not a bad idea at all.

But golly gee, what the hell did they do to the story!?
Sure, I wasn't expecting it to match the pacing of the Midgar section of the original (They're stretching 10 hours to like 50), but every change they did to the story is just... uuugh
And that's a real bummer because the cast is probably some of the best cast in FF; heck, they even nailed how Cloud should be, which is something they never managed to do after VII.

Cup O' Tea?

Nov 2, 2017
Killer 7.

I loved the art, the animated cut scenes, and I didn't even mind the weird ass controls. I just couldn't get into the story at all.

Oaklight

Avenger
Jun 16, 2018
Hades was fun for like 7 hours and then I barely got to the level past the minotaur which was a brutal struggle to survive and then I just abruptly die to some rats that rng dictated were stronger than me. I was like "I have to do ALL that over again!?" and I dropped the game right there. I liked the game and it is quite good but roguelites just aren't for me.

Pokemon Sword and Shield was actually fun during the main campaign up until the bit with the elevator tower and how oddly abrupt all of that was. Suddenly, I had an epiphany that I really wasn't enjoying the game at all and realized it was my least favorite pokemon gen to date for a myriad of reasons that would probably go past the character limit here. As a long time pokemon fan, my heart was broken. :(

It took me like 6 times over a year to finally gather the willpower to power through Final Fantasy XV and finally beat it. This game feels like it was engineered in a lab to specifically target the things that I dislike and find the most boring in video games. I really tried to like it as a FF fan but unfortunately this game is kind of a mess for many many reasons.

Scottoest

Feb 4, 2020
The Division 2 - More of a "minor disappointment" I guess, as I still put tons of time into it. I just remember getting to the end-game that was supposed to be so expansive and amazing, but ultimately ended up being a few hours of running variants of previous missions, then promptly over.

EVE Online - I've badly wanted to love this game for years, but both times I made an earnest attempt to get into it, it just bored me to tears and I could barely make sense of what I was even supposed to do. Unless you're involved in the meta political stuff that everyone likes to report on from time to time, the game is just dull. Spreadsheets in space baby.

Ghost of Tsushima - Another "minor disappointment" as I actually liked playing it overall, but the game's open world is the epitome of style over substance. The most rote, perfunctory open-world content I've played this side of a Ubisoft title. By the time you siege the castle with Lord Shimura, I was just barreling through story missions and had completely lost interest in finding my six thousandth fox den or hot spring. A hollow open-world game with a really beautiful coat of Kurosawa-themed paint on top, fun sword combat, terrible stealth, and a story that starts boring but finishes strong. Not bad, but could've been so much more.

Sea of Thieves (at launch) - Was so hyped for this game - even bought the limited edition controller in anticipation - but it was just way too threadbare at launch. I bounced off of it within a few days due to boredom. It eventually grew into a great game I enjoy, but the disappointment from a lot of people was palpable at launch.

Last edited:

Mesoian

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 28, 2017
Control.

SCP based 3rd person shooter with a strong female lead and a brutalist background? That sounds PERFECT.

But man, that game was a pain to play and navigate. I know it's a lot of non euclidean spaces but you HAVE to come up with a better map system than that. I was INFURIATED when I entered an elevator with the map open and saw my cursor go DIAGONALLY across the map through various floors and rooms.

Batman Arkham Knight. After hearing from online discussions that
its best ending was terrible,
I dropped it.

IT's actually pretty interesting, but the fact that there's no plans to build on it is the most disappointing thing.

Holyoneturtle

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
Bloodborne and demon souls. If you had asked me 3 weeks ago I would have also said monster hunter but a friend showed me the ropes and now i can't stop playing it.

Jan 10, 2018
The Last of Us. Nothing really clicks for me in these games. I find them really boring and uncreative.

Loved the multiplayer though so I was bummed out when they made the second game twice as long instead of having a multiplayer mode.

Iori Loco

Nov 10, 2017
Resident Evil 6. I learned how to play that thing expecting it to be some top tier TPS, understood the different properties of each character's weapon's melees and counters, how to cheese the counters by recognizing the enemies tells and the aiming trick, how to set up the finishers, etc. In the end I didn't really found the combat anything special or satisfying and that was the supposed good part of the game.

Super Rookie

Oct 25, 2017
London
Drive Club - Remember people saying it felt like playing Project Gotham Racing which along with Metropolis Street Racer was my favourite racing series.
Never been more disappointed than that.
At least there is Forza Horizon now.

purseowner

From the mirror universe
Oct 25, 2017
UK
Trails/Kiseki

What I played of Sky was pleasant but didn't grab me, Cold Steel's poor writing wore thin and I stopped caring. I'd buy Crossbell if it got localised.

Kenai

Oct 26, 2017
RDR 2 for sure. By Chapter 3 I just beelined for the main quests so I could finish it and say I did. That's what I get for buying into hype tho, rarely goes well for me

Deleted member 5491

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Played a few hours of Hollow Knight and just disliked it.
That so much helpful stuff is tied to the "souls" you gather, while not being able to return more regulary to a safe position
is one thing, but having an environment that isn't distinguishable and a starting region that just throws you in and not
limits you clever like Super Metroid does confuses the hell out of me. For me, the game explains very poorly how to interact
with the world. Plus some really shitty enemy placements. And I like Metroidvania and see what is done well but this was
just a slug.

MH World.
I'm a big MonHun fan but this right here took the piss. Hated that constant story bullshit that I never cared about, hated that stupid ass handler, disliked that you couldn't just do every mission from start in Coop but had to watch a stupid cutscene, that they couldn't introduce new monster first via some unstable quests and how the whole structure basically was, that you saw that monster once, fought it once and moved on. There was no real reason to care about your gear, because everything was too damn easy. Unless you reached the endgame in Iceborn where everything beat the living shit out of you with horrible to no telegraphed moves. Balancing was off the charts with just constantly returning to your camp and gulping a thousand potions and the maps were too big and concoluted. So damn often I ran towards the new area where the monster went to only to reach it and then this asshole running away again. HATED IT.

Jan 9, 2018
Sweden
Bayonetta, probably. It's probably a good game, but I just can't get into it. Same with most of the God of War series really. Love DMC though.

sbenji

Jul 25, 2019
It has to be divinity original sin 2. For the life of me I just cannot get into it. I think the combat had a complexity that was too unforgiving and the general quest structure required a more traditional take leaving me bumbling around for a lot more than needed; I know that is by design.

BiohunterX

Oct 27, 2017
dragon age inquisition is the stand out to me. it was so mediocre in almost every way and only very few characters i actually enjoyed talking to

speiky

Prophet of Truth
Oct 28, 2017
Witcher 3
RDR2
Breath of the Wild
Tons more. But these are the GOTY ones.

Fallen Order. Cause it felt janky.

Thretau

Oct 31, 2017
Warhammer Online.

It was good for a while but my hype for it was insane that it did feel very disappointing in the end.

ara

Oct 26, 2017
2020 was particularly bad for this for me. Not gonna list them all so I'm just gonna pick the most recent one: 13 Sentinels. I didn't hate it, but I thought the story was pretty whatever aside from the actual puzzle box storytelling aspect of it, which was neat, but not nearly enough for me since I just didn't care about any of the characters or whatever happened to them.

Trails/Kiseki

What I played of Sky was pleasant but didn't grab me, Cold Steel's poor writing wore thin and I stopped caring. I'd buy Crossbell if it got localised.

Definitely hope they get localized. I was personally suuper disappointed in Sky FC/SC back in the day (and after multiple retries I think they're okay at best) and think Cold Steel started as a parade of utterly mediocre anime tropes that slowly descended to horrid trash, but I actually really liked Zero and Ao when I played them some time ago with the fan translations. They're not perfect either and still have a fair amount of Trails tropes that just aren't for me, but they're easily the best the series has had to offer so far, with the most even main cast, nicest battle system that's complex without being stupidly bloated with systems upon systems like CS, the best setting and the most exciting story. Maybe you'd like them more too.

kurahador

Oct 28, 2017
Any 3D Zelda games. The exploration is such a chore and not fun. Still intend to try to "get it" in the future though. Got plenty of Zelda games still in my collection.

Assassin's Creed franchise. No matter what setting it introduce, the story and writing always managed to bore me.

Oreiller

Oct 25, 2017
Recently, it's without a doubt Animal Crossing. I went in expecting to love it but it felt like having a second job.

nacimento

Oct 27, 2017
Breath of the Wild. It is still a decent game, but I just couldn't go on. I felt there Was no sense of purpose in going on.