• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

ToddBonzalez

The Pyramids? That's nothing compared to RDR2
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Half Life 2's boat section is too long and becomes monotonous.

Palazzo

Oct 25, 2017
Ghouls 'n Ghosts - the second loop is a little unfortunate; the game would be stronger if it just had two or three extra stages instead. I don't think the second loop is too bad given that it lets you cut loose with the ultra-powerful and surprisingly nuanced psycho cannon weapon, which makes you approach the stages differently, but it is a little bit of a drag.

Fire Emblem: New Mystery of the Emblem - some of the same-turn reinforcements feel a little too arbitrary for how powerful and threatening they are, and I'm saying that as someone who doesn't think they're necessarily a bad mechanic. Most of them are telegraphed in some form, but there are a few levels with virtually nonsensical conditions for spawning them that end up just being trial and error - I'm mainly thinking of the volcano level with the wyverns who keep spawning from forts, but there were a few others, I think.

Vanquish - the bosses are a little indistinct. Most of them are fine mechanically, but that most of them are reused several times without the fights being changed up in major ways is a downer (particularly the Unknown and Crystal Viper). I also think most of them are a little too easy, have somewhat low HP. and don't require enough interesting strategy to bring down; it makes most of them feel more like minibosses. (But I will say that the game makes up for it by having one of the best final bosses I've fought.)

🤔
I can't remember any flaws in Cave Story, should replay it again

I think the backtracking in Bushlands and Sand Zone kind of stinks. Rote backtracking is already a little dicey in full-fledged Metroids; in a linear action game like Cave Story it really starts to feel like a waste of time.

Genesius

Nov 2, 2018
Chapter 5 in RDR2 is a huge narrative misstep.

They should have had only Dutch, Micah, Bill, and Javier washed away after the ship sank. Arthur becomes de facto leader of what's left of the gang. When Dutch returns, there is genuine schism of loyalty, adds emotional complication since we don't see what Dutch went through (we just know he comes back changed), stuff like that.

Gundam

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
A masterpiece doesn't have to be perfect to be a masterpiece.

the greatest example I can think of is rocket flood in Halo 1

erlim

Oct 26, 2017
London
Until the day I die, I will say AC Odyssey is a masterpiece---people here say it has no value because of its bloat or its mercenary system; I disagree on both counts. Not only that, but I find the combat mechanics and sheer reward of an aggressive offensive play style very rewarding; the biggest flaw is that without the upgrade boosters and leveling---it takes a long time to grind it out and in the end, you can't just go blasting people with one hits.

Deleted member 52065

Jan 16, 2019
Chapter 5 in RDR2 is a huge narrative misstep.

They should have had only Dutch, Micah, Bill, and Javier washed away after the ship sank. Arthur becomes de facto leader of what's left of the gang. When Dutch returns, there is genuine schism of loyalty, adds emotional complication since we don't see what Dutch went through (we just know he comes back changed), stuff like that.
That's solid, I really like that. Plus removes the convenience of having them all wash up in the same spot.

Sulik2

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Farming bloodvials, though you can work around that once you know the game, and the horrendous difficulty of the intro to Bloodborne come to mind.

erikNORML

Oct 30, 2017
Guess deadly premonition doesn't count because the flaws are why it's so good.

Star fox adventures, hybrid heaven, jet force Gemini

JigglesBunny

Prophet of Truth
Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
Chicago
Mirror's Edge technically has combat and after 100 replays, I think I can count my combat encounters on one hand.

Doctor_Thomas

Oct 27, 2017
Super Mario World is probably a tad on the easy side, even if going for 96 gates, and it has Tubular.

Edit: See some people going in on Witcher III's combat, inventory and missions... and they're all right too. It's mad that a game with so many flaws can be so engaging. I'm playing through the DLC at the minute.

jonjonaug

Oct 25, 2017
The well in Majora's Mask is dumb as heck.

For those who haven't played it: There's a bunch of zombies in the well guarding locked doors in a maze. To navigate, you need to give the zombies various items. Many of the items that they ask for are not typically items that you would go out of your way to get in a fresh run, and while some can be found within the well there's others that cannot (magic beans and a blue potion). So unless you go in already knowing what you need you're going to have to leave and come back at least twice.

Łazy

Nov 1, 2017
Suikoden 3 would need more connecting paths or maybe some fast travel in specific locations later on.

Chrono Cross has a very average battle theme.

And that is really all i can think of that was negative for me in these. Loved everything else.

GamerJM

Nov 8, 2017
Super Smash Bros. Melee

I'd describe the way dashback will always have a failure rate on non-modified Gamecube controllers but I'm unable to coherently do that, so I'll just say Roy's hitboxes.

Łazy

Nov 1, 2017
Final Fantasy VIII - Draw amounts need to be higher, and more reliable
You draw more with high magic stat.
The strongest the spell, the higher the stat needs to be.
So you can easily draw 9 of everything all the time by junctonning good spells to the magic stat.
Still needs to remove the 9 limit though.

Philippo

Developer
Verified
Oct 28, 2017
God of War, I think having equipment stats and RPG elements was redundant.
It always seemed to me like an afterthought for modern game players used to these mechanics in order to "have more stuff", rather than a core element of the game design.

ishimoto

Banned
Mar 9, 2020
ummm can't believe I didn't see this posted yet - weapon durability in BotW

exploring the world and found a cool weapon? it's so cool right? yeah it's broken. it's literally trash. get your 13 hearts so you can get a weapon and enjoy the game.

Xagarath

Oct 28, 2017
North-East England
Baldur's Gate 2's opening dungeon. Bearable on first play-through, but on repeated playthroughs it's a long linear slog before you can get out into Athkatla and the good parts of the game.

Skunk

Oct 28, 2017
Final Fantasy Tactics-
Extreme spikes and valleys of difficulty. Some parts are really tough even early on in the game, some sections you will completely steamroll.

KingBae

Oct 28, 2017
Prey. Loading, especially towards the end where you have to go through multiple sections at a faster pace.

Mr. Genuine

Mar 23, 2018
Persona 4 has some serious pacing issues.
Deadly Premonition has hilariously awful gameplay in the shooting parts.
MGS 3's cautions last way too long.
999 as it was originally intended is forever trapped to the DS hardware.
Wind Waker combat is too easy. Also the whole shard hunt thing.

KushalaDaora

Oct 27, 2017
Dragon Age Origins.

- Weak companion outside Alistair and Morrigan.
- The Fade.
- The Deep Road.

God of War, I think having equipment stats and RPG elements was redundant.
It always seemed to me like an afterthought for modern game players used to these mechanics in order to "have more stuff", rather than a core element of the game design.

I don't mind RPG element but I wish they didn't adopt the "MMORPG gear score" system.

BrickArts295

GOTY Tracking Thread Master
Oct 26, 2017
The Last of Us's human enemy AI can be shoddy and some of level design do not take full stealth into consideration, specially in higher difficulties.

Mr. Genuine

Mar 23, 2018
Resident Evil 4.

Eventually it ends.
The castle drags on for a little longer than it should

I tried to come up with one for RE4, but I realized I didn't have a flaw for that game. And one of my favorite things about RE4 is that, when you get through it all, you feel like you have played 2 full games and then some. For some it may seem like a lot, but I feel like they did a remarkable job of keeping all the content in the game fresh as you go through it all.

notBald

Oct 27, 2017
Crysis has a stealth mode that is OP. It's much more fun to play when ignoring that mode.
I tried to come up with one for RE4, but I realized I didn't have a flaw for that game. And one of my favorite things about RE4 is that, when you get through it all, you feel like you have played 2 full games and then some. For some it may seem like a lot, but I feel like they did a remarkable job of keeping all the content in the game fresh as you go through it all.
I'll admit I don't like RE4 at all, but does anyone actually like the godawful voice acting or that sudden quick time event shit?

Mr. Genuine

Mar 23, 2018
Crysis has a stealth mode that is OP. It's much more fun to play when ignoring that mode.

I'll admit I don't like RE4 at all, but does anyone actually like the godawful voice acting or that sudden quick time event shit?

RE4 voice acting is great for what it is, a campy story that does not give a shit about taking itself seriously at all, which is kind of the opposite of all the other REs. And the QTEs are pretty sparse and inconsequential to the experience at large.